• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No seriously, why is my PS4 so goddamn loud?

White Glacier PS4 owner reporting in...

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

GameSeeker

My PS4 is very quiet. You have to make sure you give it enough ventilation. Mount it horizontally and make sure there are 6 free inches behind and on both sides of the PS4.

Yeah, it's a fairly loud system. Certain games (Like The Last of Us) are loader than the others, too.

I have an Xbox One and it's extremely quiet, by the way. Don't worry.

I own both and the Xbox is far and away the most quiet compared to the two. PS4's fan system seems to be quite a lot louder. Maybe because it's in such a small package it has to work harder?

Edit: I played TLOU:Remastered, Ass Creed Black Flag, and Killzone Shadowfall on the PS4. Playing the crap out of Forza Horizon 2 on the Xbox

Mine gets super loud at times, and during certain games especially, but for the most part it's quiet. It seems to really ramp when you bring up the OS menu during a game.

I've also heard that it runs much quieter horizontally than standing vertically.

It has to run fast so it can process all of those background stability updates

I don't genuinely know, but I owned a 360 so it doesnt bother me too much

foxdvd

only time I really notice noise is when watching blu ray movies..and only when it is starting up the movie/shows...after it sets in it quiets down.

Mine gets super loud at times, and during certain games especially, but for the most part it's quiet. It seems to really ramp when you bring up the OS menu during a game.

I've also heard that it runs much quieter horizontally than standing vertically.

I can confirm this

also, horizontal is just as loud :/

g11

Only time I ever hear mine is when I launch a disc based game, I hear it spin up the disc for about 5 seconds. After that it's dead quiet. Launch PS4 FWIW.

hwy_61

Banned

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

So its NOT just me. I thought I was going crazy.

Mine stays silent for the most part. My disc drive sounds like shit when inserting a disc though. It clicks like crazy when I feed a disc into it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
How far away from it are you sitting? The loudness of it takes an insane drop off after about a meter and a half or so. I sit within half a meter of it though so I'm eternally screwed.

MavFan619

Banned
I honestly never hear my PS4. A. I'm not deaf but I used to get tubes in my ears so maybe it's just my bad hearing and B. I'm either blasting the game or music while playing the game.

Yeah I recently went back to Infamous SS for my platinum and my console was pretty roarin' and it has good ventilation space.

HTupolev

I don't notice mine much, though I've also spent the last seven years being desensitized to console noise by a jet engine phat Xbox 360.

RoKKeR

Yeah it's extremely loud. To the point of annoyance at times, actually. I feel like it is pushing OG 360 levels.

Loud and hot is never comforting. I think Sony got some of their fans from the same place they got the stick padding from.

Based on my previous PS1-3 purchases I worry about getting the PS4 a bit because of this. I envision this nightmare scenario where all the PS4s start cooking themselves after X amount of years like the 360s did.

Vinc

Mine is only somewhat audible when reading a disc, as soon as the installation is done it goes entirely quiet. It's about the same as the Xbox One, perhaps a little louder, but I don't even think so...

ak1276

Banned
I dunno.
I don't hear anything when I play any games on there. Then again, I usually actually have volume for whatever I'm doing, so I wouldn't be able to hear it I guess.

How far away from it are you sitting? The loudness of it takes an insane drop off after about a meter and a half or so. I sit within half a meter of it though so I'm eternally screwed.

Completely open as it sits on a top of a TV Stand, so ventilation is excellent. I sit about 10ft away :/

It's fucking loud as shit when I start playing a graphics intensive game

My X1 is very quiet (probably because it's so big)

PaulloDEC

My launch unit is pretty quiet for the most part. There's been a few games that've made it kick up a notch (might've been inFamous and Killzone) but for the most part it's as quiet or quieter than my PS3 ever was.

My PS4 is about as loud as my slim.

Problem is my slim has about 3 yeats of dust clogging up the fans.

I have to say, im not impressed with how loud or hot it runs, sony cheaped out on the fan.

That said, its only loud while playing intensive games for a long time. It "feels" like its working efficiently, I dont think my system has a fault. I just think sony could of made the system slightly wider to accommodate a bigger and quieter fan.

Jedi2016

It's not. I can barely tell mine is on, regardless of what I'm running. There do seem to be a selection of noisy ones, though, this isn't the first time it's come up.

My PS4 is about as loud as my slim.

Problem is my slim has about 3 yeats of dust clogging up the fans.

I have to say, im not impressed with how loud or hot it runs, sony cheaped out on the fan.

That said, its only loud while playing intensive games for a long time. It "feels" like its working efficiently, I dont think my system has a fault. I just think sony could of made the system slightly wider to accommodate a bigger and quieter fan.

Exactly

the white system is sexy as fuck... but I would have GLADLY taken George Forman if it meant it was as quiet as my Gun Metal Gray MGS4 PS3 :(

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Mine is in-between the Xbox One and WiiU in terms of fan noise. My Xbox One is almost dead silent, my WiiU is fucking loud. Almost Dreamcast loud.

Id call my PS4 audible even over my receiver at a normal volume level. Its not at a level id consider distracting.

Same as any PC with variable fan settings. The hotter it is the louder it will be. Keep it in a cool place that is well ventilated and magically your PS4 will be far more quiet.

bumpkin

The only noises I ever hear mine make is when the disc drive spins up for a few moments off and on. That's pretty much it though.

RedFury

Yeah man I don't know, mine is not loud. I have a cool home though and have it in a open entertainment center. My X1 on the other hand I can hear the drive and it occasionally squeaks. It is what it is, as long as it won't hurt the console I'm ok with it.

Top Bottom