• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No seriously, why is my PS4 so goddamn loud?

DJ_Lae

My white one is pretty much silent outside of MGS: Ground Zeroes, which has some horrendous disc noises. I chalk that up to a bad disc, though (it's borrowed from the library).

Destiny and Garden Warfare seem fine, although I haven't really played anything else on it yet so who knows.

Launch ps4 and don't notice the noise. Of course the fan will get louder though when you play a game that pushes the system more. That's natural and exactly what you want actually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I recently ordered a PS4 and this thread is making me worried. Any issues with TLoU bundled ones?

fade_

The only noises I ever hear mine make is when the disc drive spins up for a few moments off and on. That's pretty much it though.

This for mine too. I've recently moved it to a much hotter room and it still isn't loud at all. Mine was made in China got it on launch. Friend of mines is loud, launch console too.

and people want it to have an intel cpu and a titan ..

I certainly don't want it any larger nor do I want a power brick.
noise, heat and power consumption wise, it is about optimal.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It depends on the game but mostly my PS4 is pretty quiet. Although i do hear the hum get louder the longer i play

Arklite

It's pretty loud during the install period on new games, but otherwise not that notable for me. Killzone seems to keep the system running hard, though.

Ever since I stopped sitting it on it's side behind my monitor and opting to lay it flat (since I don't have a vertical stand anyway), even the menu for TLOU has no longer caused the fan to whir as loud as before. Ran quiet under TV in the stand before this, though I couldn't notice any sound since I was also sitting at least 6 feet away.

OnrJL.gif

I recently ordered a PS4 and this thread is making me worried. Any issues with TLoU bundled ones?

Its not an issue.

The console is generally as loud as a PS3 slim, despite being more powerful.

Its just....you kinda expect more of Sony, you know what I mean?

Its really not a big issue and your console isnt faulty because the fans kick up a bit.

Guess it comes with the territory of using of the shelf parts.

Str1ke4

White Glacier PS4 owner reporting in...

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

The xbox is pretty quiet

Intru

My launch ps4 is very very quiet when playing games. I wonder why there's such a large discrepancy. It probably has to do with different factories using cheaper/louder fans? Or is it just higher ambient temperatures?

Day one NA console and rarely hear the fan. Never hear the drive since I went digital.

Nirvanalike peace.

Then again I'm like 12 feet away from a 65" tv in my family room.

Its not an issue.

Its really not a big issue and your console isnt faulty because the fans kick up a bit.

I've had two ps4's. One was loud as all hell and the other is absolutely silent.

You got a defective PS4 bro sorry.

g11

what games have you played on it?

AC 4, Shadow of Mordor, TLOUR, Lego Marvel, Murdered Soul Suspect, Minecraft, Hotline Miami, Wolfenstein, Resogun, Trine 2, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider DE, Infamous SS, NFS Rivals, Battlfield 4, Dead Nation, Pixel Junk Ultimate. Oh and Diablo 3.

Mines only loud enclosed. Soon as I took it out my entertainment center it's whisper quiet. But now I have an empty entertainment center

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

Mine is deadly silent, return your ps4

Grimsen

Mine's been quiet since launch. I have it sitting under my TV, but my unit is not closed, so there's plenty of ventilation.

My guess is that it needs room to breathe. My 360s is the same.

olimpia84

Mine sounds like a jet engine. I have other consoles in the same type of media cabinet (including a phat PS3) and they don't make as much noise as my PS4.

robotrock

Banned
I bought my PS4 at launch from Amazon and it's loud as hell. I hear Amazon just got a bunch of bad PS4s though. Although, since you're brand new white one is having issues, I guess it isn't just launch PS4s.

DocSeuss

My PS4's disc drive is pretty loud. The Xbone is quieter for sure.

Keep it well ventilated in horizontal position. Maybe put something under the edges so that bottom is also ventilated. Also, xbone has its PSU outside the box, so obviously it will be quieter.

The fans on mine only kick into high gear when initially booting up a game (on disc). After about 15 seconds, the fans go totally silent. Even when I can hear the fans, it's not THAT loud.

Thing is "whisper quiet".

nordique

Mine isn't?

Or at least it doesnt seem like it is. I don't notice it. Its not OG Xbox 360 loud anyways, its quiet

My PS4 gets stupidly loud playing any games at all. It's so loud I can hear it over the Sony Gold Headset.

At first I thought I was because I had it vertical, but placing it horizontal did not fix it.

In comparison my Wii U and Xbone don't even make the slightest perceivable sound.

Its not an issue.

This is it really. It's great that it's a powerful piece of kit tucked into that small box. It just sucks because obviously some concessions had to be made.
I just.... I just really have a thing about loud consoles. I fucking looooved the second half of last generation when we got cooler/more efficient chip-sets :)

Facism

new ps4 owner. does the disc ever stop spinning? got diablo and the disc just spins and spins, no access or seek noises.

Zafir

My PS4 is about as loud as my slim.

Problem is my slim has about 3 yeats of dust clogging up the fans.

I have to say, im not impressed with how loud or hot it runs, sony cheaped out on the fan.

That said, its only loud while playing intensive games for a long time. It "feels" like its working efficiently, I dont think my system has a fault. I just think sony could of made the system slightly wider to accommodate a bigger and quieter fan.

Yeah, definitely this. Including the bit about the slim vs the ps4.

Though it isn't even necessarily running intensive games for a long time. There is a few sections on games which causes the fans to ramp up after only a minute. Case in point NBA2k14, in the career mode between matches while you're in a car/plane checking social media stuff, the fans would ramp up like crazy on those bits only. Would calm down as soon as you go back into a match. In that case it seemed like the developers just failed to cap the framerate, resulting in the problem.

It does seem to be because they're tried to compact it all into such a small space. Take the Xbox One. It's a much larger console, and it even has a separate power supply. However, because of that it runs really quiet. That said I don't like that the Xbox one is so big, or that is has an external psu. Wish we could get a better happy medium as I don't mind a bit of noise, but don't have massive amounts of space either. Had to unplug the 360 to fit my Xbox One in.

Edit: To add, I'd wager anyone who says their PS4 is quiet, probably hasn't played a game that does it. It only happens with a few games and often only certain parts of those games. I've got about 10ish PS4 games, and I've only heard it happen on bits of NBA2k14 and bits of Killzone. The rest, the console stays pretty quiet.

In comparison my Wii U and Xbone don't even make the slightest perceivable sound.

My Wii U keeps turning itself on to check for updates. I don't actually hear it turning on, but I hear it spinning up the hard drive every hour or two. Drove me crazy, so I unplugged the entire system until I need it again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So does anyone here have a PS4 that's well ventilated at all times AND makes a lot of noise?

I wonder if it's the fan in different shipments or just that.

Top Bottom