• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No seriously, why is my PS4 so goddamn loud?

Brofist

If it's anything like the PS3 you really need to keep it ventilated and clean the dust once in a while., like most are suggesting.

Mine isn't too loud. You can hear it, especially if there's a disc inside and its installing, but it's not very loud.

Nowhere near the 360.

Yours may be defective, but hopefully it's just a case of not enough ventilation. Good luck.

Macattk15

Just adding to the pile of mine not making a sound.

I've been playing Destiny and Mordor a lot on it lately ... volume on low late at night to not wake up apartment neighbors .... don't hear the console at all.

OP observations are on the money. The PS4 fan noise is directly tied to how hard the game is pushing the hardware. Mine is very quiet playing Destiny (heh), but gets much louder running TLOU.

The simple fact is they crammed a lot of shit into that tiny box. Those fans need to blast to keep it from overheating. It's an impressive feat, but I would gladly trade a bigger box for quieter operation.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No noise here on a launch day unit. But now I'm gonna be paranoid lol.

This has always puzzled me, my PS4 is also a launch day unit and it is as quiet as a grave at all times. I have even turned my surround sound system all the way down to try to listen while playing different games. the only time it ever makes a peep is when I first start up a game after that nada.

Yeah my PS4 is similar. Doesn't seem like it makes any sound while playing Destiny. But I had it a good few times basically sound like it was crying out in pain during Infamous Second Son at certain points in the game. Guess it depends on the game.

And since it isn't crying out in anguish when playing Destiny it means Bungie did something wrong and needs to get that shit at 60FPS and bring the PS4 to its knees

Mine is pretty noisy, and produces a lot of heat too. I think I may have to drill some ventilation holes to the back of the cabinet. I already had to lift the system up from the top of my BluRay player, because the BR player was getting pretty hot from all the extra heat... the PS4 was using the metal case as a heat sink. I haven't even tried playing disc based games yet...

I've actually had two PS4's. One launch that was stolen in a burglary and the replacement one I have now and neither have been loud at all. They are practically silent, along with my Xbox One. I still have flashbacks to my 360 last gen that sounded like a jet taking off and don't even get me fucking started on playing The Last of Us on a PS3 phat. Good God, I thought it was going to burst into flames.

Mine is usually quiet at home.
However, it did get really loud when I put it in the poorly ventilated hotel cabinets during a business trip.

Mine gets super loud at times, and during certain games especially, but for the most part it's quiet. It seems to really ramp when you bring up the OS menu during a game.

I've also heard that it runs much quieter horizontally than standing vertically.
Yeah notice it with Destiny alot. Its in open space and vertical however. With no stand. Maybe that can help. I may try horizontal at some point. But yeah the OS plus a game spinning makes mine take off.

i barely hear mine (launch sys). i can finally concentrate on a games soundtrack without any system noise.

i can hear the disc spinning while booting up for the first time or on install. but that doesn't really matter.

hittman

Banned
OP don't say 'the' PS4, say 'your' PS4 is loud. Mine is absolutely silent.

Don't post your shitty anecdotes and apply them to the console.

OP observations are on the money. The PS4 fan noise is directly tied to how hard the game is pushing the hardware. Mine is very quiet playing Destiny (heh), but gets much louder running TLOU.

The simple fact is they crammed a lot of shit into that tiny box. Those fans need to blast to keep it from overheating. It's an impressive feat, but I would gladly trade a bigger box for quieter operation.

yuuup

Gbraga

My PS4 is considerably loud when running The Last of Us, but not enough for me to notice if I have my headset on, even if the volume is low.

Skynet87

Neo Member
White Glacier PS4 owner reporting in...

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

No, the Xbox One Is not loud at all. I have mine on all day and night watching movies and playing games and all that good stuff, and I can't hear a single thing.

sun-drop

i guess if you live ina hot place that doesn't help .... just starting summer here but since launch mine has been mostly quiet .. after a day long session that fan will start to blow but yeh ..mostly fine so far

Maximus.

my ps4 is audible even when its idle or playing Netflix. When gaming it definitely gets loud, but I assume that that little fan inside has a lot of work to do and there is a lot of hot air coming out of the back of the system. If I didn't have the system so close to me, I am sure I wouldn't even notice it.

GHG

Gold Member
My kinectless Xbox one has been far louder than my ps4 thus far.

PS4 has practically been silent. Yours might be faulty.

I build lots of gaming PCs, mostly for myself. I've learned that there is a reason that big gaming towers are still popular - you just can't fit true high end gaming performance and true silence in a small space such as a laptop. This fundamental principle carries over to the PS4 (faulty consoles aside) as it is built in a small package, but not nearly as bad of course. If I wanted a truly silent PS4 I would watercool it in a custom case with super silent fans and radiators. Of course this does not mean I don't like the progression of more silent consoles that comes with die shrinks, lower thermal limits from newer parts, and redesigns. However in the end there is only so much you can expect.

My first impressions with my limited PS4 gaming time suggests that it is about as good if not a wee bit better than my late model PS3 slim. I can hear it, and at times hear it more than others. But it is by no means obnoxious like the early model harrier jet sounding 360s. Of course I give my PS4 lots of fresh air on my desk and never enclose it inside confining entertainment furniture.

Kariodude

Banned
Got mine in February, never loud enough for me to hear it. I usually keep the volume on the TV low too so as not to disturb the room mates. So yeah, no idea what's happening to some people.

I can hear mine if my tv volume is low and I've been playing for a while. But a constant high-pitched whir? There's something up with your system.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
White Glacier PS4 owner reporting in...

Yeah, why the hell is it so loud with content that isn't locked at 30fps like Metro Redux, First Light, etc.?
I mean, I know why in the sense the system is working harder to pump out more frames, but how the hell did Sony think a CONSTANT high-pitched whirl was acceptable as soon as the system actually had to work somewhat?

I'm getting a White XboxOne at the end of the month. Is it anywhere near this loud?

It's like this gen 360 in every way. You have to have at least one negatives to out weigh the perfection right?

NateDrake

Pretty much. TLOU had my PS4 sounding like an old Xbox 360. Then the system started to reject the game so TLOU went back to Gamefly and all has been well.

Rixa

FFXIV:ARR is good game to test volume of PS4. Played yesterday, didnt notice the fan volume due to sounds from game. Ended 2½h session logging out and then the fan volume was very loud. It doesnt matter me tho.
My console is not in open place, I think that is the reason for my PS4 volume.

It's faulty! Return it as soon as you can, I have the white one and its really quiet no matter how much I throw at it. I also have a black launch system that I left back home and it was loud and hot when I play demanding games(same games on my black PS4). The only rational reason is the process called chip binning, when factories make these silicon chips they're not made to 100% specification, so a small percentage get thrown away. they either run hotter than normal or don't work at all. The former is what I think is happening. Sony is doing this to cut costs instead of throwing the chip away, while other manufacturer like Nvidia and Intel have much higher standards.

It's faulty! Return it as soon as you can, I have the white one and its really quiet no matter how much I throw at it. I also have a black launch system that I left back home and it was loud and hot when I play demanding games(same games on my black PS4). The only rational reason is the process called chip binning, when factories make these silicon chips they're not made to 100% specification, so a small percentage get thrown away. they either run hotter than normal or don't work at all. The former is what I think is happening. Sony is doing this to cut costs instead of throwing the chip away, while other manufacturer like Nvidia and Intel have much higher standards.

!!!

Top Bottom