• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Unity's devs: 60FPS doesn't look real and is less cinematic, 30FPS feels better

Sendou

[...] Nicolas Guérin, World Level Design Director on Unity, told TechRadar that the decision was partly to give the game more of a cinematic gloss - though did admit that it was also tough to achieve.

"At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don't think it was a good idea because you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

"And in other games it's the same - like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we're dropping that standard because it's hard to achieve, it's twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image."

Alex Amancio, the game's Creative Director, reiterated this point: "30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic. 60 is really good for a shooter, action adventure not so much. It actually feels better for people when it's at that 30fps. It also lets us push the limits of everything to the maximum.
"It's like when people start asking about resolution. Is it the number of the quality of the pixels that you want? If the game looks gorgeous, who cares about the number?"

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/viva-la-resoluci-n-assassin-s-creed-dev-thinks-industry-is-dropping-60-fps-standard-1268241

And in other games it's the same - like the Rachet and Clank series

I suppose you need to set the bar somewhere...

To be fair though, I feel Assassin's Creed is going to be equally fun at 30 or 60fps. So at the end of the day, they probably made the correct choice.

Ape

Banned
"It's like when people start asking about resolution. Is it the number of the quality of the pixels that you want? If the game looks gorgeous, who cares about the number?"

So it's 720p?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What the hell are they doing this week? They really just need to shut their mouths at this point.

Oh boy, here we go again...
we're dropping that standard because it's hard to achieve
Quoted for future reference.

We choose to do these things not because they are hard, but because they are easy.

zeromcd73

Alex Amancio, the game's Creative Director, reiterated this point: "30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic. 60 is really good for a shooter, action adventure not so much. It actually feels better for people when it's at that 30fps. It also lets us push the limits of everything to the maximum.
1365231344665.jpg

The Ratchet and Clank example is terrible. It felt way worse than the other games.

I think many of us in the big Unity thread have been waiting for this to become a topic of its own. I've never seen a developer continually say the wrong thing at every step when promoting a game.

Phazon

They're saying this to avoid debates and stuff, right?

Someone needs to take charge of their PR right now, it's a trainwreck.

Anyway, I'm okay with stable 30fps, but this comment makes no sense to me.

Q3OjVSu.gif

fedexpeon

Banned
Yup, just like how our eyes can't process more than 25fps...

we're dropping that standard because it's hard to achieve

So because it is hard to achieve, you guys are going to give up since you guys lack talents?
Can't wait to see how awesome your brand new/ground up engine is!

LoveCake

Is this guy for real?

They are all going out for damage limitation at Ubi is seems.

Also the Hobbit movie was 48fps not 60fps.

3 utterly stupid remarks by Ubi devs so far regarding this game.

They seriously must have laid off all the PR staff at Ubi.

Just insane they would allow them to spout this drivel time and time again. I just hope Ubi wise up and get them some training in how to say this stuff rather than just gag them.

So what they are actually doing, is creating more debate. Good job, Ubisoft. Even though I am excited for the game but damn, they are just going at it nonstop. I imagine this is how UBI's PR look when they give out statements.

shoot.jpg

R1CHO

See?

You can work as a developer without knowing shit about games, even without playing them at all.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I really wonder why there are no 24fps games.

Hasney

Waiting on PC to be locked as well now...

It really is a shame. Was watching Gametrailers Just Played on the game and it sounded like they had a lot of fun with it. Ah well, it's an Ubi game... Will be £20 by the end of the year.

dreamfall

I just... this PR team needs some major work.

And from Amancio? How stupid do they think we are? I understand the limitations of open world games, and I can see how 30fps (stable) could be a target goal. But selling it on the idea of feeling more "cinematic" - AC3 dipped all over the place on PC for me, but when it was running at 60, it didn't feel jarring.

I've capped all my PC experiences with AC to 30 (after fighting with the unoptimized ports), and went crazy with the visuals. But if I had better hardware, I wouldn't have. What a joke.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It's like they're running through a checklist of things to say that'll piss off NeoGaf.

I suppose it gets them a few hundred page threads a week, so congrats.

batbeg

Holy fuck :lol

I particularly like the comparison to Ratchet and Clank... like people didn't bitch like crazy when it finally dropped to 30fps.

Akibared

This is a fucking joke right? They can't be serious with this shit like this has be on purpose to start arguments.

Squire

Banned
Title should be the comment about 60 not being right for action games.

You guys realize 30fps is literally more cinematic, right? That's actually the most (if not only) sensible thing they've said thus far.

I think many of us in the big Unity thread have been waiting for this to become a topic of its own. I've never seen a developer continually say the wrong thing at every step when promoting a game.

It's like this awese, unintentional parody of the AAA dev scene at this point.

Fuck. off. There isnt a game that exists that doesn't look better at 60FPS.

Being only able to hit 30fps is fine and playable, but dont make it out like it is a design decision.

Even worse that less than 4 months ago, this game was targetting 60FPS. Cut the bullshit.

Top Bottom