• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Eating Festival in Yulin, China (NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

Why am I even watching this...

Yes it's an animal but it's a domesticated animal. If they have no other means of getting food then I understand completely, but personally I'd become a vegetarian (And I love red meat) before consciously eating dog.

It disturbing to us sure, but it seems like more of a cultural thing than anything.

I mean, I can't get that upset about people eating dogs. Don't think I'd ever do it, but I've eaten plenty of pig. From what I hear, pigs have brains that are way more developed than dogs, and are damn near the smartest animals out there. Yet North America has a cult-like love for bacon.

Nev

Banned
Is this where some people call these other people savages for eating certain animal their culture considers special while they greatly enjoy the meal from other animals their culture considers worthless that have been also viciously murdered?

It always is.

nasax

Holy shit this is brutal. I made it two minutes in and that was too much for me, especially after seeing my dog next to my legs as I watched this. Yeah no more.

RM8

I adore dogs and my thesis in progress is actually about responsible pet ownership and animal rights. And I still can't see how it's okay to eat pork but not dogs :/ I'd never do it but then I eat other kinds of meat...

entremet

Very interesting so far.

I love dogs but they're definitely a dichotomy here.

One of the locals mentions that there are pet dogs and dogs for consumption.

Apparently, some locals raise dogs just for consumption and that's how they make their living. Dog farmers of sorts. Some dogs are bred for eating.

Additionally, it's still taboo in many parts of China. And many locals are also critical of this practice.

Dogs-Caught-Mid-Sneeze-005-01262014.gif

Shepard

The moment I saw that golden retriever, daamn :(
Can't blame them, though, more of a cultural thing. I mean, we eat cow without even giving a second thought, and they are sacred in some places. Bet they look at us the same way I look at people in this video.

SmokyDave

I'm going to need to try a dog burger before I have any relevant opinion on this. I mean, cows and pigs seem like OK dudes to me, but I'll still take advantage of my place in the food chain and grill the shit out of 'em.

entremet

The moment I saw that golden retriever, daamn :(
Can't blame them, though, more of a cultural thing. I mean, we eat cow without even giving a second thought, and they are sacred in some places. Bet they look at us the same way I look at people in this video.

Not all of the locals eat dogs, though. In the doc, they mention this isn't a country wide thing or even a city wide thing. It's still controversial as well.

For those queasy, just don't watch it and listen to the audio. Open a new tab and let it auto play. It's very interesting.

Watched a couple of minutes and all I can say is that I am now making it my purpose in life to marry that reporter lady. She is just tremendous.

Horrible shit going on though what in fuck....

Metroxed

I felt sick after seeing them "capturing" dogs that were either wandering about or maybe had owners.

That being said, I don't think, morally, eating a dog meat is very different from eating pork; they both come from highly intelligent mammals that can be and are domesticated and many people have as pets. I wouldn't just eat any dog, but I would be willing to eat farm-raised dogs that have been raised for consumption-only. I believe saying "oh noes, i'm sick with these people eating dogs!!!11one" and then eating pork is hypocrite.

Is this where some people call these other people savages for eating certain animal their culture considers special while they greatly enjoy the meal from other animals their culture considers worthless that have been also viciously murdered?

It always is.

let the hypocrisy commence

So it seems like they have puppy mills like we do here in the US. The difference is they sell it for food.

how come they still kidnap dogs then?

I adore dogs and my thesis in progress is actually about responsible pet ownership and animal rights. And I still can't see how it's okay to eat pork but not dogs :/ I'd never do it but then I eat other kinds of meat...

because a pig provides more meat than a dog?

HUELEN10

I really don't understand the problem people have with this. I only saw the first vid, but it seemed to treat the meat no differently than most other animals.

You can have a pet cow, and you can eat cow; why should it be different for a dog?

No, I wouldn't eat dogs (I don't like em as pets, and I'm not gonna eat them because they ain't kosher), but I don't see the problem. Why treat this meat so differently. Do people have an issue with kangaroo and horse as well? Why the, for lack of better term, discrimination of meat?

Quotient

Isn't dog meat suppose to be really gamey and tough?

Meat is meat, and as long as they animal is humanely slaughtered then i can't really be any more upset.

Some people's pet is another person meal - funny story, my dad when he was a child owned a pet chicken which he loved. He came home from school one day to find it missing, his parents told him it flew away, to his surprise they were having chicken for dinner. He was young and didn't make the connection till years later.

Meat is meat, and as long as they animal is humanely slaughtered then i can't really be any more upset.

Some people's pet is another person meal - funny story, my dad when he was a child owned a pet chicken which he loved. He came home from school one day to find it missing, his parents told him it flew away, to his surprise they were having chicken for dinner. He was young and didn't make the connection till years later.

Reminded me of Homer Simpson eating Pinchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQys93Qm8kc

Ehh.. meat is meat. Protein is Protein.

With that said, we as a sapient species, have a moral obligation to not be overtly cruel to the animal we consume.

entremet

I really don't understand the problem people have with this. I only saw the first vid, but it seemed to treat the meat no differently than most other animals.

You can have a pet cow, and you can eat cow; why should it be different for a dog?

People have an affection for dogs as pets. Nothing weird why people may be disgusted.

We co-evolved with canines as hunting companions. Other animals have been known as livestocks for thousands of years.

She eats it in part 2. She says it's textured like lamb and tastes good.

-duskdoll-

I understand that dogs are animals just like cows and pigs but i still feel horrible watching them get treated like livestock.

entremet

I understand that dogs are animals just like cows and pigs but i still feel horrible watching them get treated like livestock.

They're treated better than chickens and everyone loves chicken.

Chickens are treated like total shit, especially in the huge non organic chicken farms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom