• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin |OT| Highest RottenTomatoes Score (100%) of Any New Show This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
end03SF.png

JANE THE VIRGIN

Timeslot: Mondays, 9pm
Network: The CW
Creator: Jennie Snyder Urman (Emily Owens, M.D., and no, I'm not kidding)

Set in Miami, the series will detail the surprising and unforeseen events that take place in the life of Jane Villanueva, a hard-working, religious young Latina woman whose family tradition and a vow to save her virginity until her marriage to a detective is shattered when a doctor mistakenly artificially inseminates her during a checkup. And to make matters worse, the biological donor is a married man, a former playboy and cancer survivor who is not only the new owner of the hotel where Jane works, but was also her former teenage crush.

THIS SHOW ACTUALLY HAS THE HIGHEST ROTTENTOMATOES SCORE OF ANY NEW SHOW THIS FALL. IT'S 100% FRESH. YES, HIGHER THAN THE AFFAIR AND TRANSPARENT.

Critics Consensus: Jane the Virgin's dubious premise has become part of its unlikely charm -- along with delightfully diverse writing and a knockout performance by Gina Rodriguez.

The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/jane-virgin-tv-review-740483

Viewers who want to watch the fall's best new broadcast drama will have to do something that, for many of them, will likely be unfamiliar. They will have to find the CW. (On the other hand, plenty of new viewers discovered the channel with The Flash last week.)

The AVClub

http://www.avclub.com/review/jane-virgin-respectful-complicated-and-utterly-cha-210337

There’s also bound to be plenty of comedy, and the playful tone lent the series by its score, editing, and stylized elements goes a long way towards keeping the family drama from becoming self-serious. By itself, the show’s style and comedy would make for an enjoyable but lightweight viewing experience. Without them, it could quickly become overwrought. Instead, the series finds just the right balance, creating a unique place for itself among the current network fare. With its down-to-earth lead character and self-aware, but not self-parodying approach, Jane The Virgin is a breath of fresh air that will hopefully find a strong and loyal fan base.

The Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/09/jane-the-virgin-cw_n_5959624.html

I highly recommend "Jane the Virgin" and "The Affair," which do different things in their debut episodes, but they do those things very well. Both shows have a sure sense of tone, character and structure, and I instantly wanted to know more about these people and their lives. Aside from "The Flash," it's been a lackluster fall for new one-hour shows, but "Jane the Virgin" and "The Affair" are well-made and enjoyable in their own distinctive ways.

New York Magazine (Vulture)

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/jane-the-virgin-is-miraculously-good.html

I was totally charmed by Jane the Virgin. This is my dream for all shows: that they have a clear idea; a way in which that idea is uniquely theirs; a cast that can give a rich, full life to those concepts; and the savviness to use both comedic and dramatic elements to explore and enrich those characters and the articulated world they inhabit. We see this in harsh, gritty dramas and in bubbly, joyous comedies, and here we see it in, of all places, a CW telenovela.

Variety

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-jane-the-virgin-1201322959/

Despite a few problematic aspects with the premise, “Jane the Virgin” contains a secret ingredient that is in short supply, perhaps especially on many of the CW’s recent soaps: Charm. Much of that comes from Gina Rodriguez in a star-making turn as the title character, who through a series of unexpected mix-ups — one a real doozy — finds her life beginning to resemble the telenovelas she watches with her doting grandmother, who has cajoled her to remain chaste. There’s a lot going on in the pilot, almost all of it fun and frothy, bringing genuine effervescence to CW’s soap bubbles.

Believe it, folks.

HLXbUwM.jpg

jwk94

Wait...this show is actually good? Whelp, looks like I'll have to tune in.

Would have been nice to have this alongside The Carrie Diaries ><

I was totally charmed by Jane the Virgin. This is my dream for all shows: that they have a clear idea; a way in which that idea is uniquely theirs;

I don't know, seems like the pregnant virgin concept was played out 2000 years ago. Show will probably have a cult following though

biological donor is a married man, a former playboy and cancer survivor who is not only the new owner of the hotel where Jane works, but was also her former teenage crush.

Well that's some coincidence.

edornob

Holyshit, Jane the Virgin is surprisingly great. Probably the best new show out of CW's fall line up including The Flash which was also good.

The twists are so over the top but not to the point where it's corny. The episode ends with so many fucking possibilities, it's hilariously unpredictable.

This. The previews are so bad. But I guess it's to prevent any spoilers existing throughout the entire episode.

Still kinda miffed that
the Frankie and Minie relationship didn't happen after that season 1 finale but oh well
I have read somewhere that this story arc for Franky and Mini was changed because of all the controversy about the american remake got and also because of its cancellation afterward, so series 6 got many adjustments as a result of that.

The pilot was great. I'll have to see if the writing is consistent. They can really take this telenovella thing to all sort of places, I can't wait. The cast is incredibly diverse and the show seems to be specifically aimed at Millenials to boot. The real star is Gina as Jane of course.

anaron

Haha, dat title.

Really enjoyed this a lot. While I find the acclaim a little over the top, the pilot was incredibly charming and Gina Rodriguez is the best lead in a while. Definitely sticking around.

xenist

Not as important as it seems considering The Strain has 87% and fucking Helix has 81%. Will give it a try anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my sarcasm detector must be broken, I cant figure out if this is real or not coming from Ivy

anaron

ATM It's probably one of the better pilots this year, despite all the heckling I gave the premise during the summer.
Yep.

Though I wouldn't dare say it approaches either's quality, it's almost like if Ugly Betty met Pushing Daisies and they had a telenovela child together

Vert boil

Charming pilot. I can see a few things annoying me in the long run but it should be fun for at least a handful of eps.

The premise may be bonkers but they execute it so damn well. Its basically a telenova in English with a higher budget. Its great. Jane the main character is cute as a button.

_Ryo_

So...

Is this a religious show that will try to force ideals down my throat or is it more of a satire?

All the previews have made it seem like the former, unfortunately.

BUT it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so I am confused.

DedValve

Banned
It's a comedic homage to telenovelas.

That might be entertaining if the satire is good enough (which seems like it).

It'd be interesting to see how the show portrays a conservative latino (christian or catholic?) family since I come straight from one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom