• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin |OT| Highest RottenTomatoes Score (100%) of Any New Show This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, halfway through. This lesbian make out scene is so hot.
Once again:

lol.gif

You'll look back on your two most recent posts here and...yeah.

Once again:

lol.gif

You'll look back on your two most recent posts here and...yeah.

Hahahahaha oh man what a great episode. The stepmother twist, the dude from Little Mosque on the Prairie, the Presidente doing the hilarious smirk in bed, the douchenozzle impaled on the marlin.

I wonder if Jane's fiancee did it

Hahahahaha oh man what a great episode. The stepmother twist, the dude from Little Mosque on the Prairie, the Presidente doing the hilarious smirk in bed, the douchenozzle impaled on the marlin.

I wonder if Jane's fiancee did it
Whoa, I didn't even consider that possibility! I thought it was just one of the shady characters he crossed paths with (and since he was being investigated from Ep. 1, I assumed he was into some shady stuff).

But you might be on to something...

This show is so fucking fun
grin.gif

TripOpt55

This show is just a whole lot of fun. The way everything seems to fit together (or will in some cases) is really impressive. Music is great too!

What episode is this show at currently? Only at the pilot?

I'm thinking of jumping in on this.

Please do, it's an adorable, fun show. Third episode airs next Monday at 9.

How many episodes per season ?

They got back order, so 22.

The second episode was great, just like the pilot. I love the tongue-in-cheek style of the show, but with a big dose of genuine emotion behind all this craziness. The relationship between Jane and her mum is such a great one, not perfect, but very loving. THe other characters weren't given too much development so far, but I'm sure once they do, they'll also be a blast.

My favorites so far:
Xo - the greatest (and very hot too)
Jane
Rogelio (Huge Telenovela Star!!!) - he cracks me up so much!
Narrator
Michael - he's a douche, I know, but an entertaining one so far.
Petra - what a horrible, awful person. I love her.

In other news, I can't stop listening to this damned Juanes' song. Such an earworm.

edornob

What a great second episode.
The lesbian make out scene, the boyfriend in cahoots with the blonde bitch, louisa's ex being her step mother, the fate of zaz, Jane's grandma's surprise ending,
Jane's mom being a really good mom, and MORE!

This show is going places!!!!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
this episode is ridiculous.

tm24

So concerning Sin Rostro
Like it's totally Petra's mom right? I love the blatant teasing. So good

Also, as a person living a household that loves novelas, seeing Jaime Camill do his thing in English is great

Was bored and watched the pilot.

Significantly better than I expected.

Doesnt feel like a CW show at all. Hell, doesnt feel like an english broadcaster show. 90% female cast? 90% brown cast? Subtitles and spanish soundtrack?

Very good to see.

I also like how the family is firmly lower middle class, which is also a rarity in US television. Sparse home, full (not queen or king) bed, public transit... but its not a recurring plot point (like King of Queens, or Two Broke Girls), it's just real life.

Also, the mom is hot.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dat premise...talk about a sleeper hit, never heard of this til now. May have to check it out.

ZoddGutts

Yeah, the show is legit good with likeable characters. Also tired of seeing Middle upper class families, last time we got a lower end middle class family was Everybody Hates Chris. which was 5 years ago.

maxcriden

BTW, anyone who likes the premise/diversity of the cast might enjoy Ugly Betty, which was a pretty similar show in a lot of ways.

So concerning Sin Rostro
Like it's totally Petra's mom right? I love the blatant teasing. So good

Also, as a person living a household that loves novelas, seeing Jaime Camill do his thing in English is great

Ah man, great theory. I assumed it was
Jane's Dad because he just hit it big in acting a few years ago, around the same time Sin Rostro fell off the radar.
I was also thinking it could be
Rafael's Dad.

Valhelm

contribute something
This show is actually really entertaining. As someone from Miami, I love the setting, and it's great that every major character is Hispanic.

Mesousa

Banned
Third episode even better! There needs to be more telenovela remakes on American TV. This is the fun America needs.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hah El Presidente always has the most awesome surreal lines lol. Gina Rodriguez (Jane) is delightful. All the Hispanic actors are wonderful really. This is my fave show of the fall so far.

SideNote: How old is Jane? Adult Jane looks nothing like the teenage or child versions so I get really confused by that five year flashback lol

Which characters are not Hispanic? Just Michael, Zaz, and the redheaded woman?
Rafael strikes me as Italian.

This episode was a little shaky in parts. I'm feeling like the opening for the revelation about Jane's dad to have any impact for the character is slowly closing, and by the time it happens, it'll be a "So what? moment.

The use of music this week was way better than last week, when the incidental music got so prominent at times that it was like watching an episode of Devious Maids or something. Unfortunately, the narrated flashbacks right after commercial break are giving me signs of network meddling that only enhance the experience for the lowest common denominator viewer.

How brilliant was that scene with Michael preparing Jane for the police interview, by the way? It took me a second to recover from "Won't you come with me?" - "That's not appropriate"
lol.gif

The scene in the church was such a surprise. I seriously hurt my stomach laughing so hard.
THE VIRGIN MARY STATUE SINGING OMG

Overall, the show's totally sucked me in, and even if the drama starts to lose me (and it might if the murder storyline doesn't wrap up in short order), the characters are so charming, well-written, and goddamn attractive (Rafael's tailored shirt collection!) that I'd enjoy an episode of them just eating dinner or something.

What's her ethnicity? Her accent was pretty subtle, so I couldn't tell if she was Spanish, Cuban, or something Slavic.
Israeli in real life, but the name Petra is Greek in origin I think.

anaron

I'm still pretty damn impressed with the set design and direction. I love the hotel set and the single shot scenes they included this week were fantastic.

MC Safety

I haven't watched, but heard about the wacky premise.

Can someone at least tell me if this show is going to have an extended malpractice storyline?

neoanarch

Talk about versatile - the guy who did the music for this show also wrote The Last of Us' soundtrack
lol.gif
Gustavo Santaolalla worked on this show? I might check it out. It's a shame he is known around here mostly for the Last of Us. When he is maybe one of the best music producers of the last 20 years. Not to mention his movie credits are pretty impressive by themselves.

Blackhead

Redarse
Getting a whole bunch of Ugly Betty vibes from it. Hopefully it doesn't go off the rails like that show did.

The hook here is that Jane the Virgin is Pregnant and they really can't stretch either of those conditions past one or two seasons. I'll probably get off the train by then but I'm fully enjoying the ride for now.

Is there a GAF community/thread for watching telenovelas?

maxcriden

Hah El Presidente always has the most awesome surreal lines lol. Gina Rodriguez (Jane) is delightful. All the Hispanic actors are wonderful really. This is my fave show of the fall so far.

SideNote: How old is Jane? Adult Jane looks nothing like the teenage or child versions so I get really confused by that five year flashback lol

I think they said in the pilot that she's 26.

Rafael strikes me as Italian.

This episode was a little shaky in parts. I'm feeling like the opening for the revelation about Jane's dad to have any impact for the character is slowly closing, and by the time it happens, it'll be a "So what? moment.

The use of music this week was way better than last week, when the incidental music got so prominent at times that it was like watching an episode of Devious Maids or something. Unfortunately, the narrated flashbacks right after commercial break are giving me signs of network meddling that only enhance the experience for the lowest common denominator viewer.

How brilliant was that scene with Michael preparing Jane for the police interview, by the way? It took me a second to recover from "Won't you come with me?" - "That's not appropriate"
lol.gif

The scene in the church was such a surprise. I seriously hurt my stomach laughing so hard.
THE VIRGIN MARY STATUE SINGING OMG

Overall, the show's totally sucked me in, and even if the drama starts to lose me (and it might if the murder storyline doesn't wrap up in short order), the characters are so charming, well-written, and goddamn attractive (Rafael's tailored shirt collection!) that I'd enjoy an episode of them just eating dinner or something.

For some reason I assumed Rafael was Spanish. I dunno, though. The episode was really fun and funny, especially the scene in church you mentioned. The weakest link seems to be the Dr. Alvarez subplot.

I haven't watched, but heard about the wacky premise.

Can someone at least tell me if this show is going to have an extended malpractice storyline?

A potential lawsuit is a part of the ongoing story, for sure, yep.

This is one of the few shows where the narrator and VO works so well.
Shit, ivysaur, I desperately need you to assure me that CW's full season pick-up isn't likely to be reversed.

Monday's episode was a 0.3. We're only three episodes in, and it's already reached Reign's low :-(

I won't mind if the show isn't renewed because, well, how long can you drag out this premise? But I won't be able to handle it if the show's abruptly cut short before the full 22-episode season airs.

Hopefully CW switches it from Monday to Friday or something. Airing back to back with The Originals is not a very synergistic pairing.

Pretty sure it was 0.4
Yep, you're right.

Hope it at least stays steady - it's treading perilously close to sub-1m viewers.

If anything, the show is something different that CW really needs at this point if it doesn't want to become a genre/superhero/sci-fi pigeonhole.

TripOpt55

This show is so fun and ridiculous. Never would have guessed this would be one of my favorite new shows of the Fall, but it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom