• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin |OT| Highest RottenTomatoes Score (100%) of Any New Show This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesousa

Banned
The original was funny too if you can speak spanish.

Hopefully mainstream America can hop on the bandwagon and enjoy the fun too because I don't think it will last if it relies solely on hispanic millenials.

ivysaur12

Banned
@TVMoJoe: JANE THE VIRGIN debuts with 1.7M viewers and a 0.6 A18-49. Builds on ORIGINALS (1.3M, 0.7) lead-in among viewers & solid A18-49 retention.

@TVMoJoe: JANE also double the A18-49 score of former timeslot occupant BEAUTY & THE BEST and did 2.5x as well with A18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.2)

my sarcasm detector must be broken, I cant figure out if this is real or not coming from Ivy

I don't think it's the #1 new show of the fall, but I certainly think it's one of the stronger new pilots.

Okay I have to ask....

Is there any legal action in the first episode? I mean like that doctor should have been fired and arrested for this. Huge lawsuit..

I mean wouldn't this be considered rape? and by the previews it's passed off as a kinda "OOPS, well these things happens. 20 years from now we will all be laughing about this" type of thing.

This is actually quite serious lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Okay I have to ask....

Is there any legal action in the first episode? I mean like that doctor should have been fired and arrested for this. Huge lawsuit..

I mean wouldn't this be considered rape? and by the previews it's passed off as a kinda "OOPS, well these things happens. 20 years from now we will all be laughing about this" type of thing.

This is actually quite serious lol

The entire first season is about her suing her doctor. Who, in traditional telenovela fashion, is the lesbian sister of the father of Jane's unborn child.

maxcriden

Would have been nice to have this alongside The Carrie Diaries ><

Loved Carrie Diaries. Anyway, this show is legit good, we just watched the pilot earlier today. It was a bit pilot-y but...pilots gonna pilot, I suppose. I liked it. Funny to see the guy from The L.A. Complex play the boyfriend. I liked the twists and turns. It was charming and had an Ugly Betty-esque quality to it without being too similar.

maxcriden

So...

Is this a religious show that will try to force ideals down my throat or is it more of a satire?

All the previews have made it seem like the former, unfortunately.

BUT it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so I am confused.

It's definitely not religious. There are religious and non-religious characters being true to their characters, and characters in-between. No ideals being forced on viewers.

It's definitely not religious. There are religious and non-religious characters being true to their characters, and characters in-between. No ideals being forced on viewers.

Yup, and I actually can buy Jane's reasons for staying celibate (doesn't want to be like mom, she was indoctrinated from day one by granny that pre-marital sex is bad), however misguided some of it might be. Plus the so-called religious characters aren't exactly saints themselves either.
Granny wanted Jane's mom to abort her when she first found out she was preggers.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Through premise alone I assume it ends up conveying the idea that being unwillingly impregnated is a blessing in disguise, foetuses are people, etc. The show sounds horrifying to me, honestly.

Just started watching the first episode and I've had quite a few genuine laughs so far. I think I've found my Psych replacement. Now hopefully it will continue for a couple of years.

Just finished the pilot. Really great and charming and fun. I'll be sticking with it.

Jane needs to sue the fuck outta that doctor though. I don't care if she just discovered that her wife was cheating on her... fucking irresponsible.

Do soaps last long on the CW? I still remember Ringer. I liked it, but it was soooooooo trashy by the end. It also had a pretty good pilot, but it degenerated a lot and it was definitely not as charming as Jane.

Wow, this show is the real deal. I'm officially addicted.

Best pilot in years (since Homeland at the very least). This show is definitely a must-watch for anyone sick of the amorphous blob of grit-chipped anti-heroes that have come to define "quality" television as of late.

Wow, this show is the real deal. I'm officially addicted.

Best pilot in years (since Homeland at the very least). This show is definitely a must-watch for anyone sick of the amorphous blob of grit-chipped anti-heroes that have come to define "quality" television as of late.

And you've sold me! Definitely going to give the pilot a shot when I have some time tomorrow. GAF has recommended so many amazing shows to me in the past like Silicon Valley which I adored so I'll definitely be trusting this place again on this one.

I'll report back with impressions once I've seen it! Keep the impressions rolling in.

I haven't watched the show I might, but do they explain in any plausible way how the premise happens. Because honestly artificial insemination is not some woops I done put the babies in the woman and now she's pregnant type situation. There's a lot of planning that goes into any IVF procedure and I find it kind of hard to imagine all of the stars lining up. Then there's the negligence from whoever performed the procedure, which in real life would be a team of people who all should have rung an alarm bell. I'm all for suspension of disbelief but the premise for this sounds like I'd have to go full retard. And you never go full retard.

I haven't watched the show I might, but do they explain in any plausible way how the premise happens. Because honestly artificial insemination is not some woops I done put the babies in the woman and now she's pregnant type situation. There's a lot of planning that goes into any IVF procedure and I find it kind of hard to imagine all of the stars lining up. Then there's the negligence from whoever performed the procedure, which in real life would be a team of people who all should have rung an alarm bell. I'm all for suspension of disbelief but the premise for this sounds like I'd have to go full retard. And you never go full retard.

Now that you mention it; I'm thinking that it seemed more plausible in the third world, where the story came from.

Haha holy shit, this show is too good.

I was worried that the pilot was just a glorious fluke, but once again, the show had me spitting out my drink one second, reaching for my box of tissues the next, and then spitting out my drink into my box of tissues.

My only criticism is that the show could dial down the background music a bit. The music just never stops, and it's a bit distracting (though at least it's original music and not the usual CW playlist of iTunes top 40 dreck).

anaron

First half was expectedly very pilot-ey but once it worked through the recaping, it showcased some incredible acting from Gina/a lovely scene with Jane and her mom.

I totally aww'd at the reveal she sang milkshake to shield that girl from seeing her sleazy date.

"miraculous"? jeez. seems like an interesting premise, though.

5bb1266d20.png

First half was expectedly very pilot-ey but once it worked through the recaping, it showcased some incredible acting from Gina/a lovely scene with Jane and her mom.

I totally aww'd at the reveal she sang milkshake to shield that girl from seeing her sleazy date.
Jane's mom and grandma really are the most adorable characters ever. The scene on the porch was justtt *warm fuzzies*

Conan-san

Horrible name for a show.
Given Channel 4 green lit a comedy about someone with climidia having to go tell everyone hes had sex with that was named "Scrotal Recall" they could habe named it anything and it wouldn't be the dumbest title ever.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yeah -- I was a little worried after the first half of the episode, but it absolutely came together in the second half. They're hitting the tone so well.

bbdude

5bb1266d20.png

Jane's mom and grandma really are the most adorable characters ever. The scene on the porch was justtt *warm fuzzies*

Metacritic paints a better picture of the score spread than Rotten Tomatoes. While most reviews are positive, actually giving each review a number instead of polarizing it with "fresh" or "rotten" shows that while the show is good, it isn't god-tier like the thread title (and your post) make it out to be.

Case in point: The Affair (also a new fall TV show) has 96% on RT, but fares 5 points better than Jane the Virgin on Metacritic.

I'm not saying the show is bad (I haven't watched it). I'm just saying talking up the RT score as the best thus far this fall as the main reason to watch this show is misleading.

Metacritic paints a better picture of the score spread than Rotten Tomatoes. While most reviews are positive, actually giving each review a number instead of polarizing it with "fresh" or "rotten" shows that while the show is good, it isn't god-tier like the thread title (and your post) make it out to be.

Case in point: The Affair (also a new fall TV show) has 96% on RT, but fares 5 points better than Jane the Virgin on Metacritic.

I'm not saying the show is bad (I haven't watched it). I'm just saying talking up the RT score as the best thus far this fall as the main reason to watch this show is misleading.

I don't think that Leona was being entirely serious.

ivysaur12

Banned

The title of the thread is a bit tongue in cheek considering the expectations for the show based off of its title and premise -- also, Jane the Virgin is the third highest rated new show of the fall on Metacritic behind The Affair and Transparent. Also, if you haven't watched the show, why do you care?

bbdude

The title of the thread is a bit tongue in cheek considering the expectations for the show based off of its title and premise -- also, Jane the Virgin is the third highest rated new show of the fall on Metacritic behind The Affair and Transparent. Also, if you haven't watched the show, why do you care?

Was doing spontaneous fact-checking, but I got carried away... I'll shut up now, lol

maxcriden

Second ep was solid. I like the father, he's pretty hilarious. Err, Jane's father, I mean! I guess there are a couple "the fathers" in the show. Anyway, good ep, interesting twists and turns. The show is shaping up very well!

I don't think that Leona was being entirely serious.
Indeed.

I don't think anyone on this site takes review aggregators that seriously, especially ones like Rotten Tomatoes where 100% fresh might mean 10 B-'s, and 95% fresh might mean 19 A+s and 1 C.

Still, bbdude, the show at least deserves a watch, if not two.

JDSN

Banned
The fuck? I made fin of those premise and compared to those shitty animes Manga-Gaf swears by. I guess I was wrong/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom