• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Door Kickers - The closest thing to a SWAT sequel, top down tactical strategy

header.jpg

Price: $19.99
Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
Developer: Killhouse Games

Launch Trailer

Steam | Humble Store | GOG | Developer Site

Door Kickers is an innovative realtime strategy game that puts you in charge of a SWAT team and lets you command them during a tactical intervention.
Analyze the situation, plan team routes, choose equipment and breach points and coordinate multiple troopers to reach the hostage room before the bad guys get to press that trigger.
It may sound daunting, and like real world CQB combat, it sure is. But most levels can be completed in minutes and on the fly improvisation works. Achieving the perfect planning, getting the mission done with no false steps, that’s a skill harder to master.

• 2D, Top Down for optimal tactical analysis
  • Real Time With Free Pause
  • No turns, no hexes, no action points or awkward interfaces
  • Realistic but action packed
  • Non-linear levels, freeform gameplay
  • Mission editor and modability
  • Unlimited gameplay via mission generator and level editor
  • Single Player (but MP might come later)

Your troopers:
Highly trained and nomex clad, your troopers follow orders but also take care of themselves. The trick is to point them the right way and use the right tool for the job.

The release update added:
For those that actually play each version, what’s new? The Campaign is IN. You have 3 campaigns now, with more to come! We’ve also changed the way Single Missions count now - troopers deaths are no longer saved in those. Think of Single Missions as your proving ground, where you try to beat your own performance, and campaigns as your real job - do the objectives and keep the troopers alive. Can you handle that? Maybe also in Iron Man Mode?

Another new and long in-coming feature are multi-layer maps. You can go up and down, exploring some new and old locations in a new way.

There’s also a new scenario type - Dope Raid - which tasks you not only with securing the suspects, but also capturing evidence before it gets trashed. And it will get trashed, unless you move swift and to the point.

terror-527x350.jpg

CryptiK

You got me all excited "Closest thing to a SWAT sequel" then 2D top down game ruined it :(

Looks interesting though.

You got me all excited "Closest thing to a SWAT sequel" then 2D top down game ruined it :(

Looks interesting though.
Well what other SWAT games have come out in the last 9 years? This has go codes, non lethal tactics, classes and unique gear/skills, breaches, etc

Nete

Fun little game.

nUIewU2.png

All those 50 hours was me playing the 70-something pre-generated missions in the "Rainbow Six Pre-Mission Planner: The Game" style while on Early Access, drawing the plan and letting their execution to the AI. I haven't tried to play it in the pausable real time way, nor I've even used the random mission generator or the mission editor. The mod community is pretty nice for a game like this.

A couple webms I made some months ago. The first is an example of pre-mission planning with one of the first and easiest missions, while the other is the AI rocking one of the painful ones.

http://a.pomf.se/ihwjeb.webm
http://a.pomf.se/wmpprv.webm

I'm looking forward to play those campaigns, as well the tweaked maps.

Personally I enjoyed Door Kickers more than Frozen Synapse. One, I like the realistic SWAT theme more than the sci-fi digital aesthetic, and two, I found Door Kickers more engaging due to greater variety in locations and mission variations, and stuff like syncing breaches or using your sniper, etc.

And Frozen Synapse isn't a SWAT-themed game. They're similar in being top down strategy, but I prefer grounded police action over the sci fi warfare

MJLord

This game has sooooo much bloody content it's crazy. Really addicting trying to nail a tactic down and making sure the timing is right.

Posted these impressions in August
So you might be thinking "Why do I need this game if I already have Frozen Synapse?". Now Door Kickers was one of the first PC games I bought, and while Frozen Synapse may be king in terms of multiplayer, I feel like Door Kickers is superior in other aspects. I enjoy the realistic SWAT setting and aesthetic far more than FS's sci-fi style. Frozen Synapse focuses on warfare; Door Kickers focuses on controlled planning and precise team work and meticulous assaults.

Go in loud or stealthy, rescue hostages, arrest bad guys, defuse bombs. There's a ton of content, modding, a level editor, a leveling-up system for your squad, and special challenges for each mission The controls are more intuitive than Frozen Synapse, and the emphasis is on efficiency. Unlike Rainbow Six, where you could use your FPS skills in a crutch, here if you don't plan well, if you forget to check your corners, if you don't have a guy covering your back while he picks a lock, you will pay for it.

Each level, you need to learn the best strategy and tools to use to succeed and you get better scores for faster times, not losing a trooper, etc. I find it all very satisfying. Split your team in two groups, stack up on doors, peer in with your snake cam. Enemy positions are randomized, they move throughout the level, and can be alerted by sounds. Coordinate simultaneous breaches with flashbangs or have your breacher blast through a locked door for a loud entrance.

The full release got a huge amount of content, new tactics, more polish

Arcteryx

Yay!

Been playing this since early access, so it's nice to finally have it released. Also, wtf @ all the extra content now: campaign, multi-level, some tweaks to the base mechanics, etc. Pretty impressive for $20, not to mention all the mods and frequent updates from the devs.

Had this little gem earlier today:
http://a.pomf.se/jwkctw.webm

As far as mods(current) go:

* anything by red panda, his stuff is really good so far
* Rainbow Six sound mod - voices and whatnot from R6
* SiC Authentic sound mod - quite good gun shot audio

MAX PAYMENT

This looks really cool. It looks like you could actually make a stack flow into a room and hit their point of domination the way actual swat/military do.

RPS posted their Door Kickers review
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/21/door-kickers-review/

This sounds promising
Dan Dimitrescu & chums plan to develop the campaign system further over the coming year. Sequences that change depending on ongoing results (currently, mission failures damage your overall score but don’t impact progress), missions that happen simultaneously (squad stalwarts can’t be everywhere at once), more campaigns, random campaigns… it sounds like there’s some fantastic stuff on the way.

Game was updated. New content!
- New campaign: Terror at Sea.
- 7 new weapons: 2 pistols, 4 long guns, 1 shotgun. You might find some new favorites here.
- Can now compare stats for weapons/armor/shields with the ones currently equipped.
- Campaign missions can be replayed as long as you don’t play the next mission in line.
- Added “Delta” Go Code for all those that plan ahead.
- Two new ambient music tracks.
- Sniper: use TAB key for cycling between visible enemies.
- Added a “keep previous plan” checkbox in deploy screen.
- Replaced “switch to primary/secondary” waypoint action with a single switch-weapons waypoint. This will make planning ahead easier.
- Added campaign restart button.
- Added “how to play” video for Snipers.
- Red screen border when HUD is minimized and game is paused.
- Game will auto-restart when changing active mods or window resolution.
- When a flashbang waypoint is set on a door that gets opened by an AI, that waypoint is cancelled.
- Trooper no longer stops when given a direct “Reload” command. He stops at reload waypoints though.
- In-game Mods menu now has filters to help you browse more efficiently.

Rock Paper Shotgun's "The Bestest Best Tactics Of 2014":
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/03/the-bestest-best-tactics-of-2014-door-kickers/
Door Kickers is a smashing top-down tactical masterclass, with enough missions to shake a nightstick at, randomised enemy placements to add further variety, and a bundled level editor allows devious designers to create their own maps and missions. Rather than the flimsy framework I expected, Door Kickers is a complete package of planning, panicking and policing.

Five hour impression: really tight, intuitive game with a fantastic abundance of variety. Everything responds and controls just as you'd like it to and the graphics are sharp.

Cannot wait to see what the community mods into it, the functionality is incredibly seamless.

Gaz_RB

Five hour impression: really tight, intuitive game with a fantastic abundance of variety. Everything responds and controls just as you'd like it to and the graphics are sharp.

Cannot wait to see what the community mods into it, the functionality is incredibly seamless.

Yup, one of my favorite indie games of this year. It'll keep me busy til Rainbow Six Siege next year.

madp0k

Got this in December and have put over 15 hrs into it, brilliant game, super tough at times but you have to go back and try and get those 3 stars :)

Arcteryx

New update bitches!

Had a blast playing through this new campaign. I didn't try out the new guns yet, but they look like fun(although, Red Panda modder already had most of them implemented already, but it's nice to see the devs keep expanding the game).

The final mission is pretty tough, I had to get creative with it
had to John McClane with one guy, who somehow managed, through trial and error, to kill ~8 bad guys by flanking their rear, which allowed my entry team to easily kill the remaining bad guy near the hostages

They also added in some new achievements/fixed some existing ones. Although, my "unlock all weapons/items" one is still borked from launch, but I can live with it(editing the xml doesn't help).

Ragona

Damn, never heard of this game until i read about it on Gamestar today. Glad this was brought to my attention.

This game is great, bought it in the recent spring sale and have been having a blast with it. There is so many missions and I've barely touched the campaigns yet. I just unlocked the Breacher class and they rule. It's so satisfying setting up a perfect planned out mission thats all in one chain of commands.

One question I have: is it possible to script out a 'wait' command? I know you can manually click a dude in a command to pause them until you tell them to continue, but there are times when say I have another guy throw a flash grenade and I want my assault guy to just wait in place for a few seconds before proceeding. I can kind of awkwardly shuffle him around in planned spots but I was wondering if there is a specific wait for X seconds command.

This game is great, bought it in the recent spring sale and have been having a blast with it. There is so many missions and I've barely touched the campaigns yet. I just unlocked the Breacher class and they rule. It's so satisfying setting up a perfect planned out mission thats all in one chain of commands.

One question I have: is it possible to script out a 'wait' command? I know you can manually click a dude in a command to pause them until you tell them to continue, but there are times when say I have another guy throw a flash grenade and I want my assault guy to just wait in place for a few seconds before proceeding. I can kind of awkwardly shuffle him around in planned spots but I was wondering if there is a specific wait for X seconds command.
I got around this by setting up multiple call sign instances- when an action needs on the moment coordination each group is assigned an alpha, delta, ___ to perform on cue. Then it's a matter of timing- group a goes, then group b, etc.

One of the best indie games I've ever played. It really cures that Rainbow Six itch, albeit in a different way (being more strategy than action / FPS).

It's actually on sale at GOG right now, which is where I bought it from. I twas around $6.50 AU, which I imagine is around $4.99 U.S or something. A word of advice, I'd recommend waiting for the Steam Sale, as the game has heavy Steam Workshop integration with missions, campaigns and even game mechanics being modded. There's a tool that lets you download mod files directly from Steam Workshop, but it's an added hassle when all you have to do on Steam is simply "click" to install.

Top Bottom