• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepad: "Could not connect to the WiiU Console"

So this is bizzare. When I try to power up the WiiU via the gamepad, the console will turn on without displaying any video signal whatsoever. After maybe 15 seconds of the Nintendo logo on the gamepad, it gives up and displays the above message. I have no option but to get up and do a hard restart by holding down the power button on the console.

After this ritual, powering on the console with the gamepad seemingly works like normal for the next 24 hours. After that much time, the process must be repeated. Power on from gamepad, wait for it to fail, hard reset, turn on again.

This only started happening after the latest update I think. My controller is synced as normal, and pairing/unpairing does nothing. Anyone else running into this problem?

brau

So this is bizzare. When I try to power up the WiiU via the gamepad, the console will turn on without displaying any video signal whatsoever. After maybe 15 seconds of the Nintendo logo on the gamepad, it gives up and displays the above message. I have no option but to get up and do a hard restart by holding down the power button on the console.

After this ritual, powering on the console with the gamepad seemingly works like normal for the next 24 hours. After that much time, the process must be repeated. Power on from gamepad, wait for it to fail, hard reset, turn on again.

This only started happening after the latest update I think. My controller is synced as normal, and pairing/unpairing does nothing. Anyone else running into this problem?

have you tried resyncing your game pad to the console again?

Hip Hop

This has happened to me twice. Before the new updates I believe.

Like you, I am able to turn on the Wii U with the gamepad, but then it gives me that message. Really weird. But yeah, turning off and on the console does the trick for me.

It hasn't happen to me for a few days.

Mistle

Same here.

Turning off standby features fixes it. Waiting for a firmware update, fingers crossed it'll eventually work again with standby features on.

Atouba

I had the same problem - I think, since the Quick Start Menu Update. After I turned off the standby downloads (system updates etc.), the problem didn't occured again (sice one or two weeks now - but the console was running almost every day, so I'm not sure if that was the solution...)

daty2k1

Neo Member
I have this issue since the quick start update I think. Exact same thing, if I turn it on within 24 hours it works.

I turned off standby downloads but it still happening. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone because I looked online many times for this issue and didn't find anything relevant...

daty2k1

Neo Member
I hope so because I've seen on Nintendo's support site that it costs 100€ if the repair is simple and 200€ if it's more serious. They don't specify what "simple" means though...

Haven't experienced this myself (5.3.2E). That it appears cyclically sounds really suspect, but all things considered it comes off as a bug. Better call Nintendo about it.

Do you get a flashing amber light as well? I do. I have to unplug the power. Once I do that, everything is fine.

I agree. I think they broke something.

Peltz

FYI, I'm not experiencing this issue. Definitely sounds like a bug that only affects some Wii U's.

Do you have a Wii Remote and/or Pro Controller? Do they desync as well every 24 hours?

Also, just a hunch, but maybe this is only affecting people who've opted out of spotpass advertisements being sent directly to the Gamepad when the Wii U is idle? Has this happened to anyone who has not opted out of receiving these ads?

FYI, I'm not experiencing this issue. Definitely sounds like a bug that only affects some Wii U's.

Do you have a Wii Remote and/or Pro Controller? Do they desync as well every 24 hours?

Also, just a hunch, but maybe this is only affecting people who've opted out of spotpass advertisements directly to the Gamepad? Has this happened to anyone who has not opted out?

I get the adverts.

Geedorah

After the latest patches I've been having a ton of troubles with my WiiU - issues that never appeared before in the last 1.5years of owning the console. Very troubling :/

edit: for instance, I get gamepad de-syncs as well as errors reading Smash off the USB (only Smash, Bayo1+2 both load fine...)

After the latest patches I've been having a ton of troubles with my WiiU - issues that never appeared before in the last 1.5years of owning the console. Very troubling :/

Could you please elaborate? My Web Browser started freezing for a few seconds every now and then since I installed one of the latest updates. Also, just to be on the safe side, I've decided to wait a bit before installing the last two updates -- the last one looks particularly risky to me, since it apparently was released as an emergency update to address the recent Wii U's issues (and didn't succeed). I'm afraid it might introduce new issues, so I'm waiting a bit.

Edit: I see you updated your post, thanks!

daty2k1

Neo Member
Maybe it only affects consoles from a certain period? I've had mine since launch (PAL region)

Edit: Also I don't have any other issue with the console like some people are reporting (freeze, etc.)

It's been giving me that message, too, just this weekend. Never happened before that.

It's not turning on the Wii U, though, in my case. It's not hard locking it. So all I have to do is get up and turn it on.

abrack08

This happened the last time I turned on the console (Saturday), haven't played since then. Hopefully it's not a recurring issue...

daty2k1

Neo Member
The most annoying thing with this issue is that the console is bugging me because it didn't turn off properly the last time (since I have to force shutdown). Why don't you work properly instead of judging me :(

Atouba

Thats no problem with the gamepad. The console don't starts at all. Of Course the gamepad don't get a connection to the console.

You don't need the gamepad to start the console, so that can't be the problem.

Some more details to my problem (mabye the OP has the same):
When I start the console, the power led goes blue, but the disc drive don't make noise (it's like you go jump into the quick start menu) - after that, nothing happens. No picture at the tv. After hardreset (holding the power button for some time) the WiiU starts normal. Blue power led, the disc drive doing the normal noise and the console boots normal.

daty2k1

Neo Member
Thats no problem with the gamepad. The console don't starts at all. Of Course the gamepad don't get a connection to the console.

When I start the console, the power led goes blue, but the disc drive don't make noise (it's like you go jump into the quick start menu) - after that, nothing happens. No picture at the tv. After hardreset (holding the power button for some time) the WiiU starts normal. Blue power led, the disc drive doing the normal noise and the console boots normal.

I have the exact same thing. I also noticed that if I start the console by pushing the power button on the console itself (instead of the gamepad), the gamepad doesn't turn on. When the console is working normally, it should turn on automatically.

Pretty much what happens with me. The bizarre thing is that the console seems fully functional when it powers on, yet nothing happens.

Also, just a hunch, but maybe this is only affecting people who've opted out of spotpass advertisements being sent directly to the Gamepad when the Wii U is idle? Has this happened to anyone who has not opted out of receiving these ads?
I've previously synced Wiimotes, but they have gone unused for the last 2 months. This issue only involves the Gamepad only. I haven't opted out of the ads yet either. Damn screen lit up while I was sleeping at night.. :/

Adaren

This has started happening to me as well in recent weeks!

It seems to happen if I turn my WiiU on before I turn my TV on. As long as I turn the TV on first, it always works.

Still quite bizarre.

Bydobob

Been having similar issues with my Wii U since the last update. Console had been working almost flawlessly since launch, now it's a hard reset every other time I power on the console.

Console also repeatedly hangs when trying to return to the Wii U menu from settings. Bizarre.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you have an Xbox One? I had been having the same issue recently, but I read somewhere that sometimes the wireless on the Xbox One can cause interference with the Wii U. I'd also been having some weird hitches in streaming audio/video to the pad. I'd always left my Bone on while I played Wii U. Turned it off the other night and things seem to be working better.

daty2k1

Neo Member
Do any of you have an Xbox One? I had been having the same issue recently, but I read somewhere that sometimes the wireless on the Xbox One can cause interference with the Wii U. I'd also been having some weird hitches in streaming audio/video to the pad. I'd always left my Bone on while I played Wii U. Turned it off the other night and things seem to be working better.

No xbone here

jeemer

have you guys tried resyncing your gamepad?

i got this issue last week once (when i just got my wii u) and since i resynced the gamepad it's been fine.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had this problem as well, so I just disabled the standby option and I haven't had a problem yet.

Do you get a flashing amber light as well? I do. I have to unplug the power. Once I do that, everything is fine.

I agree. I think they broke something.

same here, I only got mine yesterday I get the same error the tc has, but I can't hard reset it, can't resysnc the controller, can't do anything. unless I unplug it. when I turn it off though via the gamepad or the system the same thing happens next time. Turned off standby and it makes no difference at all

I just want to be able to play NSMB U in bed without having to get up and unplug the ac adapter, nintendo, is that too much to ask? Not a good first impression :(

I get that problem when my laptop is on or some other wifi-ish device.
What almost never works for me is the TV remote controller function.

Ok, after improving for a while yesterday now it's not connecting at all and will always produce an orange flashing light when I turn it on, fantastic. going to give it tomorrow to see if it can unfuck itself, and then I'll do something about it. Should I send it back to shopto? it's not their fault most likely but I have a guarantee with them and I'm more likely to get back before Christmas than I would if I send it to Nintendo I think.

Ideally I'd like it back in time for some Christmas family fun.

yep, still doesn't work. My first ever nintendo home console and this happens. from the manufacturer, to the courier, to the retailer, this order has been an utter shambles. time to call nintendo support I guess.

Mephala

I've been having the issue with Gamepad error on startup as well. A hard reset seems to fix it. Definitely wasn't an issue early November as I was playing Bayonetta pretty heavily then and had no issues at start up at all.

It is irritating but not really a problem so far. I hope it doesn't get any worse and we can find a solution soon.

Mistle

Bumping this thread as I had this problem, and recent advice has seemed to have fixed it for me. Thought other posters in this thread would like to know:

Follow instructions in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029967

Report back with results. It seems to have fixed standby features/quick start for me, and I'm curious if it'll also work for others.

daty2k1

Neo Member
Bumping this thread as I had this problem, and recent advice has seemed to have fixed it for me. Thought other posters in this thread would like to know:

Follow instructions in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029967

Report back with results. It seems to have fixed standby features/quick start for me, and I'm curious if it'll also work for others.

Do you think it would work even if you don't use any external drive?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump this old thread, but has a fix for this been found? I've had that problem since the quick start update and it's driving me crazy...

I've noticed that when this happen, the hard drive's light doesn't turn on. I have a self-powered hard drive using a Y cable... Maybe there's a connection there? To those who have this happen, do you use a self-powered drive too?

Top Bottom