• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game

PGamer

fucking juniors
In a major step forward for 3DS emulation Citra has now managed to boot The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. If things keep progressing at this rate we could potentially see 3DS emulation in the somewhat near future.

3jJT5TG.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/2p6m3k/citra_3ds_emu_boots_first_commercial_game/

Mhmmm 2077

Well, as 3DS owner I shouldn't be happy, but progress is always nice. Emulator will be done after 3DS life for sure.

rjc571

Banned
Excellent! Emulation could breathe new life into a lot of 3DS games, once high resolution rendering is implemented.

Semajer

It's a pity that things like this will lead to piracy, but it's always interesting to see games running at higher resolutions, as well as unfinished content.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm all for emulation, even though I'd prefer to play my games on my 3DS (or whatever original console we're talking about). Progress is progress, nevertheless.

Darius

Banned
Still surprised that this site has been very strict against certain websites, for example for their unreliable numbers, but the promotion of "homebrew", cards and emulators which with no doubt will lead to a rising amount of piracy is just fine.

Golnei

By the time the emulator's finished, hopefully it won't be the only way to play Uprising in HD. Though it's probably the only game on the platform that'd be improved with mouse controls...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Emulators lead not only to piracy, but also to preservation of vast libraries of video games that generally end up abandoned de facto along with the platforms they're tied to. This is good news.

javac

By the time the emulator's finished, hopefully it won't be the only way to play Uprising in HD. Though it's probably the only game on the platform that'd be improved with mouse controls...

The flying segments sure, not sure about the on foot parts. Are there other games that use a similar camera setup on PC? From what I remember you have to constantly 'grab' and spin the camera around by swiping the touch screen and it has momentum so you have to constantly stop it from spinning too much.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Still surprised that this site has been very strict against certain websites, for example for their unreliable numbers, but the promotion of "homebrew", cards and emulators which with no doubt will lead to a rising amount of piracy is just fine.

One of these things is not like the others.

Kieli

My counter-argument to your concern is this.

Guns can kill people. Murder.

Why does Gaf still allow people to talk about guns?

It's a stupid ass analogy, but I don't think you're concern is particularly worth addressing. :lol

Spiegel

Legal vs promoting websites that make money with bullshit numbers?

Yes, I'm surprised too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

There are legit uses for emulation beyond piracy. Now of course the vast majority of emulation is used for piracy but there's interesting discussion to be had about the legal uses (streaming, modding, etc)

jwhit28

My counter-argument to your concern is this.

Guns can kill people. Murder.

Why does Gaf still allow people to talk about guns?

It's a stupid ass analogy, but I don't think you're concern is particularly worth addressing. :lol

How do you backup your 3ds games?

Why did you put quotes around homebrew?

Caffeine

3dmoo is another emulator in the works currently and the No$ guy is interested to do one as well in the future.

BibiMaghoo

There is nothing illegal about ripping games you own on one system, and emulating them on another. Many people work very hard, for free, to make this a possibility, and it makes good discussion as often things involved take knowledge to setup properly.

Sites that make up garbage numbers do not serve anything. They muddy waters of real factual data. It does not take skill to make up numbers, neither is anyone working hard to make that happen, nor is there any discussion to be had, in fake, madeup numbers.

Does that adequately show the difference for you?

Aeana

By the time this is actually usable to play games, the 3DS won't even be an active platform anymore. On the other hand, preservation of the libraries of older systems through emulation is incredibly valuable, and I'm cheering it on so these games can live forever.

Foffy

Banned
This will probably be one of the biggest gateways to fan translation projects beginning. One of the reasons the GBA, DS, and PSP had such a library of translated titles was due to the fact the platforms could be emulated: it makes it easier to debug and tinker about. Those three as well as the Wii had actual emulation while the system was active on the market, and all of those systems still did well.

I hope to see this progress further. Sadly there are a number of Japan only titles and franchises on the 3DS that may only ever get English releases through hacking, which may be the case for the entire Dragon Quest catalog on the platform. Couple that with keeping the "legacy" of the platform in tact with preserving the lineup in tact, and I'm for this 100%.

On that topic, has there been any efforts to preserve DSiWare titles? I don't think those were ever decrypted, let alone put onto the internet as pirated content. I ask because Aeana's comment on preserving the library reminded me of the DSiWare title Nintendoji, which is a Japan-only Club Nintendo downloadable, and might be one of the games we might lose in the coming decades if nobody cares about the downloadable service.

By the time this is actually usable to play games, the 3DS won't even be an active platform anymore. On the other hand, preservation of the libraries of older systems through emulation is incredibly valuable, and I'm cheering it on so these games can live forever.

This is correct.

Well put. The value of emulation cannot be stated enough.

Kouriozan

Indeed, and it's really exciting.

Vuze

Well said.

Great to see. Just recently 3dmoo (another 3DS emulator) could boot the Nintendo dev tools, so the 3DS scene is definitely making good progress lately.

The first thing I'm waiting to see is Pokémon X/Y with proper texture filtering, which the title is terribly lacking...
Seriously, I think that Game Freaks has a good base for the future Nintendo handheld, because it would easily looks so great just with a good texture filtering.

Excellent! Emulation could breathe new life into a lot of 3DS games, once high resolution rendering is implemented.
And breath new life into 3DS piracy also.

Given the situation Nintendo is in, im not too happy seen this happening but i' ll get to see some really nice looking 3DS screenshots.

Come on Nintendo, you should be the first ones with 3DS emulation but in your consoles, the Wii U needs to extend it's library so do it.

MUnited83

For you.
I hope this ends more optimized than DS emulators. I can barely run Mario Kart or NSMB at a good framerate at the original resolution. Meanwhile I can play everything i've tried on PPSSPP at double resolution and full speed.

Top Bottom