• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game

Aeana

I hope this ends more optimized than DS emulators. I can barely run Mario Kart or NSMB at a good framerate at the original resolution. Meanwhile I can play everything i've tried on PPSSPP at double resolution and full speed.

Most likely because you're using software mode in whatever DS emulator you're using, which means all of the rendering is being done by your CPU. There are options for GPU-accelerated rendering like DeSmuME X432R.

This is good if true, hopefully ends up better than the DS emulator(why is the PSP emu so good and DS so bad?). I barely play my 3DS because I can't stand its awful screens. Really unfortunate, the system has good games and whatever I can get I get on the ipad instead now.

jwhit28

This is good if true, hopefully ends up better than the DS emulator(why is the PSP emu so good and DS so bad?). I barely play my 3DS because I can't stand its awful screens. Really unfortunate, the system has good games and whatever I can get I get on the ipad instead now.

PSP seemed to have a much bigger community of tinkerers. DS had some homebrew but the battle seemed to be mostly making sure you bought a well supported flash cart than a constant challenge of overcoming firmware updates.

Links_fantasy

Hopefully 3DS emulators and piracy don't appear until after the next Nintendo handheld releases. It cost the DS a lot of Japanese games coming over to the West. The only positive is we could get fan translations of games like Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2, Rocket Slime 3, DQ VII and other games devs aren't willing to bring over.

baphomet

Hopefully 3DS emulators and piracy don't appear until after the next Nintendo handheld releases. It cost the DS a lot of Japanese games coming over to the West. The only positive is we could get fan translations of games like Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2, Rocket Slime 3, DQ VII and other games devs aren't willing to bring over.

There has been 3ds piracy for a year or two now.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
So if this gets running at high resolutions what would be the first game you would want to see?

Looking forward to a Kid Icarus Uprising controller mod, that way everyone can experience this masterpiece in better res.

Foffy

Banned
So if this gets running at high resolutions what would be the first game you would want to see?

Bravely Default or the Pokemon games.

Excellent news. If only there was similar progress on the Vita front, but here's to preserving and up-rezing 3DS games!

I feel the Vita has been abandoned by everybody, including the enthusiast hacking group. ):

I don't think piracy killed those Japanese titles. If anything, it was emulation and the like that got us all of those skipped Japanese titles with fan translations. For example, Nintendo themselves killed localization on Soma Bringer and Archaic Sealed Heat (they went far enough to even redub this game) on their own, yet both of these games are in English thanks to the community.

jblank83

Well, as 3DS owner I shouldn't be happy, but progress is always nice. Emulator will be done after 3DS life for sure.

Right, it'll take them years to get up to a playable state. By that time the 3DS will be over.

I believe in supporting developers. So I buy my games. But it's nice to have emulation for long dead systems. You never know when your old hardware will just die.

By the time this is actually usable to play games, the 3DS won't even be an active platform anymore. On the other hand, preservation of the libraries of older systems through emulation is incredibly valuable, and I'm cheering it on so these games can live forever.

Agreed. We desperately need emulation of all platforms to immortalise our beloved artform.

I feel the Vita has been abandoned by everybody, including the enthusiast hacking group. ):
The Vita hacking scene has gotten a major boost from native hacks becoming an actual thing, but it's pretty much in the early stages for that. Hopefully they make some major progress before the hardware is taken off shelves permanently, but the lack of even a rudimentary emulator project is kind of worrying.

ReyVGM

so this means i'll just have to wait another decade to play 3ds xenoblade instead of upgrading to the new 3ds, nice

Doubt it. The DSi is not even emulated yet, even though the DS has been for many years now.

So to emulate the NEW 3DS, it will take even longer than the regular 3DS.

Storm360

Great, so many games I want to play on 3DS but the system cramps my hands and the circle pad is uncomfortable

People saying emulators cause piracy is a joke too, 3DS piracy has been going for a long time iirc, I remember seeing GAF threads last year about it.

Foffy

Banned
Doubt it. The DSi is not even emulated yet, even though the DS has been for many years now.

So to emulate the NEW 3DS, it will take even longer than the regular 3DS.

The community doesn't really seem to care for the platform. That's more of the issue. eShop games have been hacked and circumvented, and I believe they use the same theme of encryption DSiWare titles do or probably even more security, but it seems nobody could be arsed to get that library.

When the DSiWare's biggest and best first party games include A Kappa's Trail and Spotto, games I'm sure most people here don't even know about, you know there's just an entirely underwhelming interest in the platforms content. The most renowned third party release on the service - Shantae: Risky's Revenge - is now on PC as a better way to play it. DSiWare seems almost entirely forgettable other than it setting up the framework for the eShop, which has actually delivered major games as downloadables.

ReyVGM

The community doesn't really seem to care for the platform. That's more of the issue. eShop games have been hacked and circumvented, and I believe they use the same theme of encryption DSiWare titles do or probably even more security, but it seems nobody could be arsed to get that library.

When the DSiWare's biggest and best first party games include A Kappa's Trail and Spotto, games I'm sure most people here don't even know about, you know there's just an entirely underwhelming interest in the platforms content. The most renowned third party release on the service - Shantae: Risky's Revenge - is now on PC as a better way to play it. DSiWare seems almost entirely forgettable other than it setting up the framework for the eShop, which has actually delivered major games as downloadables.

There are several good DSiware games such as Dark Void Zero, Chronos Twins, that limited Zelda Four Swords, Dr Mario Express, Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, Puzzle League, Shantae (even if some of these are on another platform already).

I know people don't like to think as the DSi as a different platform, but it is, just like the GBC was. The only difference here is that the DSi's exclusive games were mostly digital (which cannot be played on the DS hardware, even if they were on a cartridge).

So if those aren't yet emulated, then I really doubt NEW 3DS games will be emulated in a decade as a previous person jokingly said.

me0wish

1080p Kid Icarus, Luigi's mansion, 3D Land, Fire Emblem. I really hate how weak the 3DS is, especially that games don't even run @60fps.

impact

Banned
MH4U at 1080p with dual analogs and no 3DS sounds nice. Looks like I'll be waiting for this to release to play it.

Hikami

Pretty cool, probably years away but I'd love to see Persona Q emulated.
Such a good looking game under that 3DS resolution..

Glad it's coming at a late stage in 3DS's life. I wish it success, but hope it isn't finished until after the 3DS has been replaced by a successor.

Why are people so concerned about piracy?
There is no proof that it has a negative impact on revenue. Maybe its even positive?

And even if it did, morally I can't feel sorry when its on a shitty region locked device.
Game preservation is more important.

Unicorn

There are legit uses for emulation beyond piracy. Now of course the vast majority of emulation is used for piracy but there's interesting discussion to be had about the legal uses (streaming, modding, etc)
Seriously. The community/fan driven aspect is always insane. Mods, language patches, etc. All validate emulation and homebrew attempts.

Yay, there's a bunch of 3DS games I would like to play on my PC. I have a 40 inch screen, and there's so many games that would be fun to play that way.

I hope that the PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360 emulators work out, too.

Yay, there's a bunch of 3DS games I would like to play on my PC. I have a 40 inch screen, and there's so many games that would be fun to play that way.

I hope that the PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360 emulators work out, too.

The PS3 emulator RPCS3 is really starting to gain some traction...maybe by 2020 I'll be able to play my Folklore disc on my laptop at full-speed in 1080p.

The PS3 emulator RPCS3 is really starting to gain some traction...maybe by 2020 I'll be able to play my Folklore disc on my laptop at full-speed in 1080p.

In 2020 I hope everyone would have a 4k screen, and I think people are getting excited too soon, this is progress but it will be a while until a game can be fully playable with good speed.

Tain

Long-term preservation, visual enhancements, and being able to use a big-ass screen and an awesome controller.

Platforms getting emulated is great.

Long-term preservation, visual enhancements, and being able to use a big-ass screen and an awesome controller.

Platforms getting emulated is great.

It's interesting how it's always Nintendo platforms (NES, GB, SNES, VB, N64, GBC, GC, DS, Wii, 3DS) and Sony platforms (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3) that seem to get emulated.

Microsoft platforms are always ignored...the original Xbox could be emulated if people cared enough. We still don't have a good Xbox emulator, and it's been 13 years since the Xbox originally came out.

baphomet

It's interesting how it's always Nintendo platforms (NES, GB, SNES, VB, N64, GBC, GC, DS, Wii, 3DS) and Sony platforms (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3) that seem to get emulated.

Microsoft platforms are always ignored...the original Xbox could be emulated if people cared enough. We still don't have a good Xbox emulator, and it's been 13 years since the Xbox originally came out.

What? Basically every platform is emulated eventually.

Dryk

Come on Nintendo, you should be the first ones with 3DS emulation but in your consoles, the Wii U needs to extend it's library so do it.
Nintendo are way too picky to manage efficient emulation in the foreseeable future. They'll continue to sit there tinkering with a few games a time until they can boost them from 99% accurate to 100% accurate.

Also after the 3DS I have absolutely no faith in their ability to design hardware with emulation in mind. GBA and SNES games can't even run on the thing for gods sake.

Rip what?

I think it is kind of disappointing the Xbox/Chihiro will not be emulated for a long time, but the more I think about it, there are only a few games that we really would not be able to enjoy without one. I can kind of understand the disinterest.

I think it is kind of disappointing the Xbox/Chihiro will not be emulated for a long time, but the more I think about it, there are only a few games that we really would not be able to enjoy without one. I can kind of understand the disinterest.
It's more a lack of documentation than disinterest that's holding back Xbox emulation.

Sorcerer

Hats off to Sony and Nintendo.

They have managed to keep piracy at bay for quite a long time concerning 3DS and Vita.

At least its very late in the game for both systems.

Kieli

Didn't even know Xenoblade port was exclusive to new 3DS.

Why'd they make a new 3DS? Why compartmentalize their audience like this?

Urgh.

Top Bottom