• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5: Yo-kai Watch anime to be aired worldwide

It's coming.

The mega-hit franchise's first feature film Yo-Kai Watch: Tanjyo no Himitsuda-Nyan! (The secret of the invention) is finally released in Japan today on December 20. At the premiere event, LEVEL-5 president and CEO, Akihiro Hino revealed that the TV anime will be soon aired worldwide, including the U.S. and Europe.

He also confirmed that Jibanyan and Whisper's names will stay the same, while other yokais' will be changed. It's the same case with Pikachu in the Pocket Monster/Pokémon series, who is keeping its original name in the international versions. Hino then asked Etsuko Kozakura (voice actress for Jibanyan) and Tomokazu Seki (Whisper) to learn English for the expected international expansion of the Yokai boom.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...e-aired-worldwide-including-the-us-and-europe

You-kai Watch 3DS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dy2oDCuPuM

3b7D4Yi.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hino then asked Etsuko Kozakura (voice actress for Jibanyan) and Tomokazu Seki (Whisper) to learn English for the expected international expansion of the Yokai boom.

Yup, the games are coming.

Busaiku

Hino then asked Etsuko Kozakura (voice actress for Jibanyan) and Tomokazu Seki (Whisper) to learn English for the expected international expansion of the Yokai boom.
This is a horrible idea.
Why in the world would they use the Japanese VA for an English track.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't think this property is gonna work internationally.

Also, "Jibanyan" is not nearly as cute-sounding as "Pikachu."

Deft Beck

This property is steeped in Japanese culture and history. Unless there is a fantastic localization, it will not go over well at all.

Are the Yokai Watch games any good gameplay wise? The last good game I played by them was Rogue Galaxy, which is quite a long time ago now.

Really hoping it's not like Ni no Kuni, that was awful.

This property is steeped in Japanese culture and history. Unless there is a fantastic localization, it will not go over well at all.

It's stylised enough to not be 'off-putting', so I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion.

They don't look like this, for one.

youkait_b1.jpg

Nor is the game set in feudal Japan, where normally stuff with youkai motif takes place.

They said the same exact thing when Pokémon came out (and also before, Nintendo was skeptical). Not saying that YW will be as successful as Pokémon, of course.

Deft Beck

They said the same exact thing when Pokémon came out (and also before, Nintendo was skeptical). Not saying that YW will be as successful as Pokémon, of course.

I have heard that. Still, I will be skeptical until I see some concrete effort of the localization.

Busaiku

How is Pokemon so steeply entrenched in Japanese culture/history?
Some are, there's no doubt, but most of the designs are more general in nature, related to animals and objects most of the world are familiar with.

The setting is also in a completely fictional world.
While the map itself (of the initial regions) may be based on Japan, each location aren't really too much like Japanese cities for the most part.
Yokai Watch takes place directly in Japan (which of course will get rewritten in the localization).

They said the same exact thing when Pokémon came out (and also before, Nintendo was skeptical).
Not really.
Pokemon are mostly based of real Animals, they automatically have global appeal, the skepticism came from their cuteness, not their ''too japanese'' baseline.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some are, there's no doubt, but most of the designs are more general in nature, related to animals and objects most of the world are familiar with.

While the map itself (of the initial regions) may be based on Japan, each location aren't really too much like Japanese cities for the most part.
Yokai Watch takes place directly in Japan (which of course will get rewritten in the localization).

It'll be an ever weirder Los Angeles to look at than Ace Attorney's, won't it?

Blue-kun

I'm ready for the games! Been really excited to get a new game that's like Pokemon-but-not-really since, as much as I love Pokemon, at this point it's not going to change dramatically. So something that's similar but does its own things at the side seems incredibly appealing to me.

Come on, L-5!

Also, on the Jibanyan debate, I like the name, but more than that, I think the cat is incredibly cute, haha. So much that I keep thinking my party in Youkai Watch will be full of cats. Help!

DNAbro

I am extremely curious if it will have Western appeal. Personally I think it looks pretty unappealing but I said the same thing about Skylabders so what should I know about what kids would like.

Not really.
Pokemon are mostly based of real Animals, they automatically have global appeal, the skepticism came from their cuteness, not their ''too japanese'' baseline.

Nintendo thought Pokémon was too Japanese for the Werstern public.

Kouriozan

did Nintendo buy the rights to this too so the only system it'll ever come to is there consoles?

Nope.
Level 5 is free to release their games on any platform, for example Layton had an iOS game and another one is coming (Layton 7)
Nintendo did publish the Inazuma Eleven games in Europe though.

mrmickfran

If they want to bring overseas, they're gonna have to change some names.

I don't see something with the name "Yo-kai" taking off well in America.

And yet "Tomodachi Life" sold millions.

No lies, I was skeptical when Nintendo chose to keep the Tomodachi name. The cynic in me whould had renamed it 'Friend's Life' and the even more cynical side of me would've gone with "Nintendo Friend's Life"

A lot of (delicious) crow was eaten. =)

Oregano

did Nintendo buy the rights to this too so the only system it'll ever come to is there consoles?

Obviously because if a game is exclusive to a Nintendo platform they must have paid for it. It's not like the 3DS is the dominant console in Japan or anything...

Top Bottom