• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5: Yo-kai Watch anime to be aired worldwide

Jibanyan is pretty damn cute but cuter than Pikachu? No way.

I mean, look at this cute ass motherfucker right here

Look at him

l_54660ca6a487e.jpg

Cute as fuck man

Meffer

someone is attached to there platform -_-

just a question dude...

When they first announced the games, they didn't tell what it would be on. It was either on the 3DS or the Vita. Shortly after they said it was going on the 3DS because the system had a bigger install base.

Look at him

l_54660ca6a487e.jpg

Cute as fuck man
Jibanyan has a much cuter personality. Pikachu is just a generic goody two-shoes. Not really that cute at all. There's more to cuteness than just looks y'know.

Impotaku

He was cute at one point but i grew tired of that blank eyed vacant expression years ago, the only way they can make Pikachu interesting is to dress him up nowdays lol. The ideas are running out at Gamefreak.

Forkball

Look at him

l_54660ca6a487e.jpg

Cute as fuck man

That's Charizard though.

The anime is actually quite clever and funny and is a huge reason for YW's success. It is nothing like the Pokemon anime. It's basically a monster-of-the-week comedy show with different segments. The main one involves Keita and his encounter with Yokai via the Yokai Watch. In the show, strange or mundane problems are actually caused by the presence of Yokai and Keita has to solve the problem. Outcomes aren't always decided by battles and in fact Keita comes out on the losing end of some episodes, so it's quite different from the "friendship defeats everything" angle many kids shows take. Other reoccurring segments follow Jinmenken, a salaryman/dog hybrid who is constantly imprisoned and Komasan, a country bumpkin who tries to make sense of the city. The reoccurring segments are ridiculous in their scope. Jinmenken is imprisoned for constant disorderly conduct, but eventually is transferred to an Alcatraz-like prison where he has to cooperate with a mass murderer. Komasan goes from not knowing how subways work to being the head of a corporation. It's too ridiculous not to like.

daydream

Banned
I couldn't be more ready for this. Probably won't watch the anime but the game is maybe the title I look forward to the most for 2015.

Need a good Pokemon-like in my life again and Level-5 always delivers.

Zornica

Banned
I'm kinda curious if all of you who are claiming that this has no appeal in "the west" are from the US. Because "the west" doesn't exist.
if you had grown up in Europe, you would know that children couldn't care less about how foreign/japanese something is as long as it is entertaining and well made.

My whole generation grew up with anime that actually featured Japanese names like Mila Ayuhara or Shinichi Kudo. And that's true for pretty much all of Europe.

The only country that seems to have a problem with anything that's different is the US and I just don't get it.

So please... if you are going to talk about the US, talk about the US and don't assume that everyone else is just as xenophobic.

Meffer

I'm kinda curious if all of you who are claiming that this has no appeal in "the west" are from the US. Because "the west" doesn't exist.
if you had grown up in Europe, you would know that children couldn't care less about how foreign/japanese something is as long as it is entertaining and well made.

My whole generation grew up with anime that actually featured Japanese names like Mila Ayuhara or Shinichi Kudo. And that's true for pretty much all of Europe.

The only country that seems to have a problem with anything that's different is the US and I just don't get it.

So please... if you are going to talk about the US, talk about the US and don't assume that everyone else is just as xenophobic.
I don't think kids in the US are xenophobic either. I think some people are just pessimistic despite when it's been proven that kids will like anything regardless what it is or where it came from.

t26

To be fair you also grew up with Oliver Atom and Mark Evans.

Zornica

Banned
I don't think kids in the US are xenophobic either. I think some people are just pessimistic despite when it's been proven that kids will like anything regardless what it is or where it came from.

I never said that kids in the US were xenophobic, quite the contrary. but some people here seem to think otherwise, and whoever is responsible for US localisations surely has no clue. as I said, if it's well made, children won't care. If anything, localisation often times does more harm than good. just look at the mess that is the American version of sailor moon (the original).

To be fair you also grew up with Oliver Atom and Mark Evans.

Not sure where you are from, but I grew up with Tsubasa and not Oliver Atom and I'm way to old for Mark Evans.My point still stands though, as they didn't change the location in either series. They still take place in japan ;)
I never said it was perfect, but it's still a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Top Bottom