• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5: Yo-kai Watch anime to be aired worldwide

Ridley327

So, it's pretty safe to say now that a good chunk of Nintendo's focus for the 3DS in the west next year will be helping Level 5 with the promotion of the games. I imagine it's an easier sell than Dragon Quest was, since this is much more directly analogous to Pokemon.

No lies, I was skeptical when Nintendo chose to keep the Tomodachi name. The cynic in me whould had renamed it 'Friend's Life' and the even more cynical side of me would've gone with "Nintendo Friend's Life"

A lot of (delicious) crow was eaten. =)

I think many people don´t have that big of a problem accepting a short "weird"/ exotic sounding name tbh. People just accepted it as a name "without meaning" and don´t realise that it is actually japanese.

On the other side of the coin, calling it something generic would have made it sound like shovelware "imagine Babyzzz" etc. So it was...at the end of the day... a smart choice !

As our generation fades away, a new one is born.
lF4Wi7X.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RpuAGflSU

No lies, I was skeptical when Nintendo chose to keep the Tomodachi name. The cynic in me whould had renamed it 'Friend's Life' and the even more cynical side of me would've gone with "Nintendo Friend's Life"

A lot of (delicious) crow was eaten. =)

I think as long as a name isn't too long/hard to pronounce, it'll do fine. Ni no Kuni, Yu-gi-oh, Bakugan, etc.

Jibanyan is easy to pronounce (and sounds cute imo).

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Excellent! I'm definitely going to watch it.

Level-5 asked in February if there would be enough interest in localizing the series. I'll assume this means yes.

I hope so, I'm looking forward to playing them.

Wubby

I wonder if the watches and plastic medallion things will take off too. Sooo hard finding those watches at msrp this year. I managed to snag two watches for a co-workers kids when I was at a shop buying gunpla. The medallions also very hard to find the packs.

akileese

So, it's pretty safe to say now that a good chunk of Nintendo's focus for the 3DS in the west next year will be helping Level 5 with the promotion of the games. I imagine it's an easier sell than Dragon Quest was, since this is much more directly analogous to Pokemon.

I've been watching the anime subbed and it's really weird. I find myself puzzled as to WHY I enjoy it so much but holy crap I cannot get enough of it. It's not like Pokemon where I understand the appeal entirely. This is something entirely different to me. It might be that I see the potential of collecting them all when the games come out to the West. That said, with the watch + the medals you can get from the packs (I think that's how it works?), it's pretty much a license to print money.

SalvaPot

I don't get the negativity, this one is going to be huge if released after or with the anime for sure, the anime is great and if they localize the japanese jokes to self-referential/silly humor (Like they did with Ultimate Muscle), then its going to work.

You have my word.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cool.

I actually don't wanna watch the anime---only because I know it'll make me want the game even more, and I don't know how long it'll be. :( But I enjoyed Inazuma 11's adaptation, so I'll probably check this out once Yokai Watch hits.

I wonder if they'll get a decent dub? Hope they don't replace all the (non-lyrical) music like Pokemon still does in 2014. Even the game music, for whatever reason.

HyperOne

Banned
Maybe I have just gotten to old, or I am too nostalgic for Pokemon and the like...but that was the dumbest thing I have seen all day (Though I have not been in an Ubi thread lately) and I can safely say I have lost any middling interest I may have had in this game series.

Sandfox

And good riddance. Game Freak needs a good shaking up.

Edit: After watching the videos posted in this thread, now I really want this franchise to overthrow Pokemon. I'm getting Gen 1 vibes! Wouldn't it be great if this sparked another anime craze in the states?

That would suck so much...

TomShoe

Banned
Hopefully the subs are at least decent, though I plan on watching the Japanese versions anyway.

Good dub: Space Dandy. It works so well.

Bad dub: Digimon Fusion Season 3. Ugh.

wonder if they will try and edit this ala season 1 pokemon. Riceballs photoshopped into generic nondescript sandwitches ect. Yokai is super Japanese in its setting and creatures but maybe they realize people don't care and will keep it the same.

Cbajd5

wonder if they will try and edit this ala season 1 pokemon. Riceballs photoshopped into generic nondescript sandwitches ect. Yokai is super Japanese in its setting and creatures but maybe they realize people don't care and will keep it the same.

Considering the international title seems to be "Yo-kai Watch" (why the dash) still I doubt they will.

Hopefully the subs are at least decent, though I plan on watching the Japanese versions anyway.

Good dub: Space Dandy. It works so well.

Bad dub: Digimon Fusion Season 3. Ugh.

Wait, there's a season 3 dub of Digimon Fusion? As far as I know they only dubbed the first season. (Wikipedia says Season 2 is due for next year.)

Sandfox

Why? You a hipster?

Because Yokai Watch is full of things I don't want in a game like Pokemon so I'd rather not see it take over. Also, another anime boom in the west probably won't happen because the cartoon channels are trying to go after really young kids these days and using live action for the older kids. If a cartoon or anime where to appeal to an older audience they would cancel it or punish it in favor of airing more Spongebob or something.

Meffer

How is Pokemon so steeply entrenched in Japanese culture/history?
Some are, there's no doubt, but most of the designs are more general in nature, related to animals and objects most of the world are familiar with.

The setting is also in a completely fictional world.
While the map itself (of the initial regions) may be based on Japan, each location aren't really too much like Japanese cities for the most part.
Yokai Watch takes place directly in Japan (which of course will get rewritten in the localization).

At first they weren't sure about bringing Pokemon over because they thought kids here wouldn't like it.

Meffer

If they want to bring overseas, they're gonna have to change some names.

I don't see something with the name "Yo-kai" taking off well in America.

Well it's actually called Youkai Watch. Seems like they'll go with Yo-kai Watch. Honestly I like it and it rolls off the tongue.

Meffer

I wonder if the watches and plastic medallion things will take off too. Sooo hard finding those watches at msrp this year. I managed to snag two watches for a co-workers kids when I was at a shop buying gunpla. The medallions also very hard to find the packs.

They likely will since the medals work with the games as well.

Meffer

I mentioned it before in previous threads, but I don't think they'll westernize it too much like other franchises before it. The fact it's so japanese is why they think it will have interest worldwide. They'll change some things like some youkais' names sure, but they'll embrace the japanese aspect. The show is funny and well done, the games are great and the toys and medals have a fun and addicting appeal to them. It'll do fine, I'm absolutely sure of it.

I mentioned it before in previous threads, but I don't think they'll westernize it too much like other franchises before it. The fact it's so japanese is why they think it will have interest worldwide. They'll change some things like some youkais' names sure, but they'll embrace the japanese aspect. The show is funny and well done, the games are great and the toys and medals have a fun and addicting appeal to them. It'll do fine, I'm absolutely sure of it.
I think we'll get a localization that features a cast of characters with "white" names and that purposefully never mentions, or even implies, that the thing's taking place in Japan.

We'll see I guess.

Toparaman

Banned
Because Yokai Watch is full of things I don't want in a game like Pokemon so I'd rather not see it take over. Also, another anime boom in the west probably won't happen because the cartoon channels are trying to go after really young kids these days and using live action for the older kids. If a cartoon or anime where to appeal to an older audience they would cancel it or punish it in favor of airing more Spongebob or something.

I see. Personally I think Pokemon got stale after 2nd gen, and I would welcome a new cross-media phenomenon.

Meffer

I think we'll get a localization that features a cast of characters with "white" names and that purposefully never mentions, or even implies, that the thing's taking place in Japan.

We'll see I guess.

I don't see something that drastic happening lol.

We'll see I guess.

Kind of difficult when the rumored name for the localization is already the regular name with emphasis in the YO

Meffer

I was checking how much one was, I was thinking of importing one and it was around $75 and the Zero version being $80.

Top Bottom