• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys I need a .gif fix for Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of us Chrome users know that .gif loading has taken a fucking nosedive. I really don't want to leave Chrome otherwise, is there an extension to fix this problem?

There is no fix. Fuck Chrome, used it for something like 5 years but it has just been getting worse and worse. This gif issue was the last straw and I switched to Safari on Mac. So much better.

amnesiac

Speaking of Chrome sucking, does anyone have issues with Google instant on Chrome? Doesn't even load half of the time.

SJRB

Gold Member
I made this exact thread last week, and in the end my fix was switching to Opera.

I use Chrome exclusively for Twitch because of the BetterTTV support, but other than that Chrome can suck it. Performance has been beyond terrible lately.

Rootbeer

Banned
chrome... such a great browser, marred by such a widespread issue that google refuses to take seriously o_O

if facebook had true gif support i bet we'd see this shit fixed real quick :p

Well after seeing all the rash of GAFfers switching from Chrome, I went ahead and did so myself, to Firefox.

Dear god I hate this options menu. But everything else seems nice enough.

jetsetrez

I really wish I could just use Safari, but Adblock seems almost useless on Safari and that helps performance and useability so much, especially on Twitch. Half the time I'll just get never-ending ads on Twitch in Safari. Anyone have any better luck?

I really wish I could just use Safari, but Adblock seems almost useless on Safari and that helps performance and useability so much, especially on Twitch. Half the time I'll just get never-ending ads on Twitch in Safari. Anyone have any better luck?

Disable adblock for Twitch.

Coreda

Well after seeing all the rash of GAFfers switching from Chrome, I went ahead and did so myself, to Firefox.

Dear god I hate this options menu. But everything else seems nice enough.

I've kept to v28 with the default menus and a few tweaks using Menu Editor and Stylish. Can't see myself upgrading soon.

firefox-fxchrome-mod-pmacz.png

Enco

I've kept to v28 with the default menus and a few tweaks using Menu Editor and Stylish. Can't see myself upgrading soon.
Wait is that chrome or Firefox? If Firefox, what theme are you using?

Chrome is driving me mad with constant 'this page is unresponsive' messages. Making me want to switch because of it.

I'll miss the extensions and design though.

Zukuu

Banned
FxChrome theme for Firefox. Modified a fair bit with Stylish and using custom addon icons.

I've been using Firefox quite happily, are there some examples of more severe issues you've experienced?
Flash and Firefox. Do not mix.

Didn't try it for a year, but anything after flash 10.3 was unuseable in the long run.

Tadaima

Switched to Safari this week and I'm not regretting it.

The only things holding me back were the differences in the console/inspector (for development; the changes take a bit of getting used to) and the Command + [number] to switch tabs.

Now I've switched to Safari, my Mac is much cooler and the experience is smoother on the whole. The text rendering is also much cleaner, which is nice.

hoy

Banned
funny firefox is doing this to me as of late and dragging my browser tabs down to a crawl. flash likes to hang and crash sessions as well.

i have no clue what to fucking do. i was thinking of trying to transfer my files to another new user account and see if that may help because even repairing windows 8 don't help.

this is on ssd drive and when i pull up the task manager no resources are pegging?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
All with their own (and much more severe) kind of problems. Next.
Nothing is more severe than wanting to punch through the monitor when you open a typical GAF page and the whole browser freezes for 2 minutes or more - all the while cursing yourself because you knew it was about to happen because it's been happening for weeks. I'm exclusively Firefox/PC Safari/Mac now. Only thing I'd ever open Chrome for is if I must see a 60FPS youtube video on PC (Safari on Mac plays them fine)

corn_fest

Just checked and it looks like GIFs are still broken even in Canary. Arrrrgh.
I know Chrome's had regressions with GIF handling in the past but they've usually been patched up pretty quick.
Does anyone know if there's even a Chromium issue tracker # for this recent shitiness? I've looked and couldn't find anything. edit: looks like moniker posted one below, thanks!

Cbajd5

Wait, how many gifs is supposed to cause a problem? I haven't noticed anything, even browsing the Spongebob thread.

moniker

There seems to have been some kind of regression in the code base (maybe it came with the Blink fork?). GIF performance was awful in Chrome a few years ago, then they fixed, and now it's seems like it's broken again.

Relevant ticket: 430940 (One of the comment links to the other GIF thread on NeoGAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom