• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.gif's in Chrome loading like butt? Here's how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
May or may not be thread worthy, but for months I have suffered through frozen, slow loading, screen tearing animated .gifs and just found the solution, and I just had to share.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266149

Type chrome://plugins into the address bar

Click the
cHR0J.jpg
button on the right side to expand the plugins

Look for the PPAPI pepperflash plugin.

CjVhs.jpg

Click Disable

If you already have the official adobe version of flash installed, it should show up right under the pepperflash plugin listing

nGhd5.jpg

Leave this one enabled.

Otherwise go download the official one from adobe

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

uncheck the mcafee shit obviously

Clear the cache. Restart chrome and see if it still happens

Pepperflash re-enables itself after Chrome updates so look out for that. I know for a fact that this bug is fixed in the Chrome dev builds so it'll be fixed in an update sooner or later.

It worked for me, hopefully it does for you too.

balddemon

Banned
lol what are you doing on a kansas city chiefs website?

oh and i think there was a solution posted on gaf a while back. i'm happy for you doe

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lol what are you doing on a kansas city chiefs website?

oh and i think there was a solution posted on gaf a while back. i'm happy for you doe

Just google, man, forreals

And I dunno, seeing the amount of whining on this thread, I thin a lot of people are still looking for a fix

Aeana

Thanks a lot for this. I was just complaining earlier today about how a certain thread that is basically 100% GIFs was killing my poor browser, and this seems to fix it.

Raging Spaniard

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
OP, I love you. This has been bugging me for months. Gifs not loading, freezing and making my laptop slow to a crawl.

All fixed.

Mine doesn't look exactly like this... Says its

"Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
Version: 11,5,502,110
Location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_5_502_110.dll"

Should I follow the link and download the new one? Or am I OK?

Raging Spaniard

Mine doesn't look exactly like this... Should I follow the link and download the new one?

Did you hit the +details tab on the Adobe Flash Player Plugin? I didnt see them until I did

Edit: ah, I think its OK? If you only have one instance of Flash running, it should be fine. NPAPI is the one that should run while PPAPI is the one that should be disabled (these sounding like Latino euphemisms to anybody else?)

VALIS

Their Pepper Flash has been one problem after another since they made it the default flash handler. Flat out doesn't work with lots of websites, like Amazon cloud Player, fer instance. Made me change off Chrome (to Waterfox) for the first time in 2-3 years.

BTW, when you close and restart Chrome, pepflash will be the default again, so this is a very temporary fix. You have to do this every time. Or just switch to a more reliable browser until the Chrome devs come to their senses.

Did you hit the +details tab on the Adobe Flash Player Plugin? I didnt see them until I did

Edit: ah, I think its OK? If you only have one instance of Flash running, it should be fine. NPAPI is the one that should run while PPAPI is the one that should be disabled (these sounding like Latino euphemisms to anybody else?)
Yeah I guess I just have a later version or something, who knows. This seems to have worked! Thanks!

Aeana

Their Pepper Flash has been one problem after another since they made it the default flash handler. Flat out doesn't work with lots of websites, like Amazon cloud Player, fer instance. Made me change off Chrome (to Waterfox) for the first time in 2-3 years.

BTW, when you close and restart Chrome, pepflash will be the default again, so this is a very temporary fix. You have to do this every time. Or just switch to a more reliable browser until the Chrome devs come to their senses.

That proved to be true to me. I fixed it by going into the Chrome folder and renaming the PepperFlash directory.

Raging Spaniard

I know it reenables itself after an update, not on a restart. Mine still works.

The link does mention that the dev version of the browser has it fixed as well

whitehawk

Banned
Damn, I had the wrong one disabled lol. Did this trick a while ago and I guess I did it wrong.

edit: still did not fix the problem, GIFs still suck in chrome...

Sielys

So I did this, and it works great, but now some youtube videos won't load for me, while others still will. Anyone know why?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So a custom Flash version causes GIFs to load slowly? How does that make sense.

I don't use Chrome, but I just looked and it seems that Dragon (a Chromium-based browser) uses the normal Flash Player. No wonder I never had that issue.

Alex

Can't seem to get it to work for me, it only lists the one iteration of flash (that being the spotty one everyone is talking about) and any attempts to install another never seem to take.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What exactly does this disable? There must be some reason Google enabled that plugin. I might not care what it changes but I'm interested in why it's the in the first place.

Thanks, it works! I was very close from changing to Firefox until they fixed that shit. It's been going on for months, what the fuck are they doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom