• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA + Gaikai Demos Launch: Try Demos In Your Browser [Now Live]

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Damn this is pretty amazing. Impressive as hell

I need to whip out my netbook for this

No_Style

Tech works surprisingly well!

Gaikai's logo reminds me of Blackberry and their "promo vid" reminds me of Team Ninja. I'm so confused.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Valru said:
Looks like a PS2 game uprezzed to me. 100% connection speed.

http://www.abload.de/img/java2011-08-0514-02-57tubj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/java2011-08-0514-04-49vu28.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/java2011-08-0514-05-08wuza.jpg[IMG]

Really responsive though. Would be good for demos, thats about it imo.[/QUOTE]
Gaikai is interesting in that their stated ambition is only to be a marketing tool as opposed to a service like OnLive.

But yeah, Dead Space 2 can look much better on PC:

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/deadspace22011-07-1223likv.jpg

Reallink

Can't tell where the Bink Video FMV's end and the gameplay begins. It feels like I'm playing on a TV with 60-100ms of lag. Great way to try demos (no installs or 2GB downloads), but I'd never even consider playing a full retail game through this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
PuW0R.jpg

QHAZl.jpg

Dali said:
I just played a few minutes of Dead Space 2. The graphics were great and the game ran smoothly. As someone that doesn't care for the extra effort involved in PC gaming this and Onlive have made it so that I would now consider my laptop as a valid option to play these type games.

Best thing is you shouldn't be needing even a laptop for this. iPhone, PS3, iPad - it should work with the same graphics quality but different resolution on all devices connected to the internet.

This is the future, folks, like it or not.

You want foldable, light displays? Then you don't want them to be buried on top of super CPU/ GPU/ motherboard combo that drives the price up by $400. Just have it connected to the internet, HQ graphics will stream down to you.

That being said I have to LOL @ that ME2 pics with terribad aliasing. If you have a fucking rendering farm of servers that render the game and you just stream it, it should have absolutely TOP of the TOPS graphics.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have a really crappy connection and these games played great. Really, really impressed.

I don't get why Dragon Age 2 had Medium video effects and such. As mentioned kind of the point of streaming stuff like this is for high quality versions of games on weaker hardware, eh?

Exuro

The more I played the BF:BC2 demo the more I noticed the mouse lag. Had a hard time quickly killing guys. The visuals were okay for the most part. Had a hard time seeing things when fog was on the screen as artifacts seemed to be more visible. I wonder how much more lag would be added if this were in multiplayer. The Homefront trial on Onlive is terrible.

Kyaw

Doesn't work for me.

Page won't load on FF. (Black screen)
It won't go past 0% on Chrome.

From the screenshots, it looks terribad.

I hope this never catches on.

subversus

Misterinenja said:
Wow worked perfectly for me. This is blowing my miiind.

seriously.

and since Onlive guys just invented new tech which allows 1ms ping + unlimited bandwidth, future looks very bright.

finally no install base limitation. Everyone can play. Even niche games will thrive. soooo good.

Ionic

I fully support these kind of services for demos. I don't have to download anything beforehand, and the developer doesn't have to actually make a demo. They just have to let the player play for 30 minutes to an hour, allowing every game to have a demo for no cost to the publisher/developer. Of course, these do have the issue of not actually telling my how well a game will run on my system as it is being rendered elsewhere. Trade offs...

subversus said:
seriously.

and since Onlive guys just invented new tech which allows 1ms ping + unlimited bandwidth, future looks very bright.

finally no install base limitation. Everyone can play. Even niche games will thrive. soooo good.

SP games that you beat once and sell are perfect fit for this. You don't need 10ms latency for SP RPGs unlike for MP CoD sessions.

Anyway even if this is god tier technology they will face some serious competition and bad mouthing from Sony + MS + Nintendo. Think about it... those three want to sell you new, expensive hardware sets that render next-gen graphics. Okay, but you could as well stream the same next-gen graphics to your $200 internet PC via Gaikai/ OnLive.

Not gonna fly.

McNum

For a first generation publically available version of this technology it's pretty impressive.

I got hit by a Help window that refused to close, but Mass Effect 2 ran pretty well. I had kind of hoped the game would let me load my own Mass Effect 2 saves, but I guess not. Still pretty impressive.

Kyaw

StoppedInTracks said:
SP games that you beat once and sell are perfect fit for this. You don't need 10ms latency for SP RPGs unlike for MP CoD sessions.

Anyway even if this is god tier technology they will face some serious competition and bad mouthing from Sony + MS + Nintendo. Think about it... those three want to sell you new, expensive hardware sets that render next-gen graphics. Okay, but you could as well stream the same next-gen graphics to your $200 internet PC via Gaikai/ OnLive.

Not gonna fly.

kwL0W.jpg

deadspace22011-07-1223likv.jpg

Yeah ok...

This would be great for demos though as stated in a post above.

subversus

StoppedInTracks said:

Not gonna fly.

all these three are totally dependent on third parties. If third parties decide to flee thatn it's over for them even for Nintendo.

as for MP games I have high hopes for new Onlive tech which will be introduced in next 5 years or so.

subversus

Kyaw said:
Yeah ok...

This would be great for demos though as stated in a post above.

You could at least compare with my image above. Still it miles worse that what can be achieved on dedicated hardware as anybody could see but in 10 years time this will change.

More audience = more people paying for games = more good niche games for me. Fuck the tech if it is the price to pay.

Dali

Nirolak said:
Gaikai is interesting in that their stated ambition is only to be a marketing tool as opposed to a service like OnLive.

But yeah, Dead Space 2 can look much better on PC:

deadspace22011-07-1223likv.jpg
On a PC... that's not mine. If you have a rig that can do that, then why would you be using these services? Answer: You probably wouldn't.

i got a technical error in dead space 2 after several minutes as well. controls are sluggish as expected, and the image quality could be a lot better, but it's a great way to get a quick handle on what a game is all about. perfect for demos of this sort. i can't imagine ever purchasing a game through a streaming service though. modding, tweaking, and image quality are what drew me to pc gaming in the first place.

Kyaw

subversus said:
You could at least compare with my image above. Still it miles worse that what can be achieved on dedicated hardware as anybody could see but in 10 years time this will change.

More audience = more people paying for games = more good niche games for me. Fuck the tech if it is the price to pay.

True. In about 10 years when the average internet speed is like 1gb/s. I will be there day one.

"The service requires a computer with a faster CPU. Try accessing this page from another machine." WTF I thought CPU power is irrelevant

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dali said:
On a PC... that's not mine. If you have a rig that can do that, then why would you be using these services? Answer: You probably wouldn't.
It was more of a discussion of whether people would want this to replace regular games across the board as opposed to just being an augment.

subversus

silenthill1979 said:
"The service requires a computer with a faster CPU. Try accessing this page from another machine." WTF I thought CPU power is irrelevant

it is if we talk about video

Gets stuck on 67%, says I need to close all bandwidth intensive programs. I have no programs of that sort running. Nothing else in the house is doing that.

I fucking hate it when programs lie to me. Fuck this.

silenthill1979 said:

Are you running in a low power mode? You need to run in high performance power mode. I had the same issue on my laptop before.

EA will be incorporating these Streaming demos on their Origin site 2nd Qtr 2012 according to their roadmap.

Also, People should disable their ad blocking software.

Green Scar said:
Gets stuck on 67%, says I need to close all bandwidth intensive programs. I have no programs of that sort running. Nothing else in the house is doing that.

this is exactly what mine is doing :(

Dali

Nirolak said:
It was more of a discussion of whether people would want this to replace regular games across the board as opposed to just being an augment.
Oh, of course. I thought that went without saying, which is why I thought your point was somewhere else.

Randomizer

Wow this is pretty amazing, being able to playing big budget games within seconds. The image quality is pretty low but as it's only for demos it's still pretty damn impressive.

marcurius

Green Scar said:

I had to reload Bad Company once and Dead Space a few times for it to work.

Bad Company was completely playable and looked fine, bit of lag but not terribly much.

Dead Space was pretty blurry and laggy though.

Overall, something like this would indeed be great for demos and such.

I've never played a Sims game in my life and playing with Sims 3 via this actually kinda sold me on the whole thing... although it seems like one of those never-ending totally unconstructive-use-of-your-time type of games that are horribly addictive and social-life-eroding.

anddo0

radioheadrule83 said:
I've never played a Sims game in my life and playing with Sims 3 via this actually kinda sold me on the whole thing... although it seems like one of those never-ending totally unconstructive-use-of-your-time type of games that are horribly addictive and social-life-eroding.

I just played 30mins of it. I'm regretting not picking it up during the Steam summer sale. The demo ended with my sim getting robbed while he was asleep... This is after finding out the girl I was trying to pick up was in a relationship.

I like this idea for both demos and full games. I can run most games (with the exception of say, The Witcher 2). So, I wouldn't mind a service like this for those type of games.

RobertM

Woah, this actually works better than Onlive. There was serious input lag when I was plaing Fear 2 when they had the 2 week trial, but this...it's actually playable.

Top Bottom