• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA + Gaikai Demos Launch: Try Demos In Your Browser [Now Live]

In my ex[erience with the Crysis 2 demo the quality for this was pretty bad. Locked at 800x600 and sluggish as hell. Whats the point of it anyway? Half the reason to try a PC demo is to see how it runs on your machine.

Karak

I had a great connection but it still had more lag and far more dropped frames than anything on Onlive. I will stick to Onlive. However, I think both companies will and are getting better everyday. I love this idea.

Danielsan

I totally just played the Dead Space 2 demo in great quality on a PC that can hardly handle games that were made later than 2004. Awesome.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Gaikai already looks appealing due to having games look better than on Onlive. The selection is small for now, but having The Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 and looking pretty nice in the process is a huge plus in my book. Their was still lag, but that's probably due to it being streamed. I can't really tell if it was better or worse than Onlive's lag, which has definitely improved since it launched. I'll keep an eye on them and see how much farther Gaikai goes, but for now, I'll stick to Onlive.

I H8 Memes said:
In my ex[erience with the Crysis 2 demo the quality for this was pretty bad. Locked at 800x600 and sluggish as hell. Whats the point of it anyway? Half the reason to try a PC demo is to see how it runs on your machine.

They eventually will be allowing publishers to use Gaikai to create their own storefronts similar to OnLive, but their current ad/demo service is more like a testing ground. There service needs to be more stable. I've had some great and some okay experiences with Gaikai. I get 720p resolution sometimes, but there has been many times in the past where I've only gotten 800x600 which is probably due to peak time usage. The main thing that I was impressed by the service is the lack of lag compared to OnLive. The games almost feel native to me and the picture quality was more crisp than OnLive. I guess this is due to having Verizon FIOS and a Gaikai server is located near me.

Refreshment.01 said:
What are the requirements of the internet connection?

I would personally recommend 10mbps connection, but it should work over 5mbps. Make sure that your connection doesn't have jitter and wired connections are always better to use.

I agree that this is a great idea for demos at the current time. Once the technology and our internet speeds develop in a few years, this will be viable for every game.

Struct09

I tried Bulletstorm through the Origin web page, and it worked really well. Felt maybe even slightly better than OnLive to me. However, the resolution might have been a bit lower.

thehillissilent said:
I would personally recommend 10mbps connection, but it should work over 5mbps. Make sure that your connection doesn't have jitter and wired connections are always better to use.
Relaxed Muscle said:
I can tell you 1.8MB/s is not enough. lol
Hahaha... no chance for me.

This would have been really sweet at the time when turn based JRPG's were in vogue.

Salih

What kind of witchery is this?

11x3xz.png

JB1981

I wanted to give this a try but I keep getting a Java error. I am on a Mac using Safari. I believe my java software is up to date. Anyone else run into this issue? Any tips?

can anyone here helpl me with this?

Postman

Banned
Yeah I have been messing around with OPENGL in java and it is quite powerful. I expect that is what this is based off of.

Postman said:
Yeah I have been messing around with OPENGL in java and it is quite powerful. I expect that is what this is based off of.
This service is just like OnLive. It streams the real-time video to you and you upload the controls. There is no local rendering. It's all rendered on remote servers, and the video is encoded and sent to the client on your workstation/laptop to be decoded.

Anyway, Dead Rising 2 is now available to play on the www.gaikai.com/games page.
I wasn't able to get the Gaikai software to recognize my 360 controller for this game, but it worked on FIFA 12.

nexen

Crysis 2 looks and runs significantly better than I expected it to.
I'm at work though and my internet connection here is phat.

I know they're still in development, but I'd love to meet the programmers behind this.

Because this is not easy. Very difficult code to conceive, let alone optimize. Whoever made this is a verifiable genius.

The Crimson Blur said:
I know they're still in development, but I'd love to meet the programmers behind this.

Because this is not easy. Very difficult code to conceive, let alone optimize. Whoever made this is a verifiable genius.

A lot of it is dependant on your internet connection. Gaikai seems to use more bandwidth than OnLive and it is less stable. However, if you are close to Gaikai servers and have decent internet connection, the experience is really good.

There are other comapnies that are doing cloud gaming as well (OnLive, Playcast, Spawn Labs (Gamestop), G-cluster).

From some of the recent comments, I'm under the impression that people think this is being rendered locally, when it's not. The video is being streamed using flash and java. The are using virtualization technology in a datacenter to run these games. They can run multiple games on a custom server.

Here is more info about how Gaikai works (from July 2009)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gaikai-cloud-computing-gameplay-that-works-blog-entry

In my opinion, Gaikai needs to focus on stability and adapting to changing bandwidth. It tends to drop me when my bandwidth drops unlike OnLive. This would not be acceptable if I purchased a game.

Aru

The Crimson Blur said:

I'm not sure Gaikai requires a lot of development. I think it's pretty much standard PC games with tweaked settings running in a (custom ?) virtual host.
I could be wrong, though.

Aru said:
I'm not sure Gaikai requires a lot of development. I think it's pretty much standard PC games with tweaked settings running in a (custom ?) virtual host.
I could be wrong, though.

You are right.

Here's a quote from an interview from July 2010 about their custom servers

http://www.develop-online.net/features/900/Gaikais-reality-check
In terms of hardware constitution, what does a Gaikai server look like?

Some of the specs I can’t tell you because they’re a trade secret in themselves. Getting a hi-def stream of a game that’s CPU-intensive is difficult, but certainly not impossible. Within months we got it working.

That’s not been the real challenge. Cloud streaming is relatively easy to do, but it has been expensive. So we have been searching for ways to keep costs down whilst keeping the streaming technology optimized. That’s why our solution is a trade secret.

We went through a huge amount of hardware combinations to find out what worked best. We’re using the very latest Intel six-core processors, and the most expensive graphics cards you can buy. For the current demo servers we’re setting up, we’re using GTX 470s. But we actually use less RAM than you would imagine, because of the way we virtualise the system, we don’t need more than one or two gigabytes of RAM per game.

And the cooling system is crazy. The amount of air coming out of the rig could blow-dry someone’s hair very quickly.

So how many players do you think can play a game from a single server?

It depends on the game, but around a dozen per server. But like I say, it’s all about
costs. It’s a spreadsheet exercise. If we can come up with a different server system, that’s a lot cheaper and can serve four people but the costs per player are less, we’d be interested.

Though it’s fun to build insanely powerful servers, we have to be cost-effective.

Is overclocking an option?

We could if we tried, but it’s not something we use at the moment.

Sophia

Gaikai seems a lot more playable than OnLive is. There's still input lag, but it's within acceptable levels for single player games.

atomsk

Party Pooper
my shitty comcast connection is not quite up to the job (just ran a speed test, 7 down, 4 up)

runs better on Chrome than Firefox for me, but the lag still makes Crysis 2 unplayable

Culex

Banned
Tried the service today and played Crisis 2. I have to say, I'm BLOWN away by this! My laptop is new, but only has an integrated Intel graphics chip, so this looked really impressive. In full screen, the game played amazingly well, too.

Since I don't have an Xbox 360 or PS3, and I don't plan on spending money on a gaming laptop, Gaikai can take my money.

Now put up the full games so i can play!

JB1981

Was finally able to try this out on a laptop today. I played the Crysis 2 demo and honestly, it was amazing. It looked better than the PS3 version and it played pretty frigging good with minimal input lag. I would honestly consider playing my games this way. Only problem was I couldn't get use to keyboard/mouse combo. I am so used to playing with a pad.

I kind of feel like this is the future of gaming. Playing Crysis 2 in YOUR WEB BROWSER. HOLY FUCK.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I kind of feel like this is the future of gaming. Playing Crysis 2 in YOUR WEB BROWSER. HOLY FUCK.

:lol Nope.avi.dll.exe.zip.rar Never going to be the "future" with massive bandwidth requirements and input lag. Same thing with Onlive: "Future of gaming" but it's a bust, no one cares about streaming games until the tech matches a near 1:1 in-house experience and doesn't require massive bandwidth pipes to use.

:lol Nope.avi.dll.exe.zip.rar Never going to be the "future" with massive bandwidth requirements and input lag. Same thing with Onlive: "Future of gaming" but it's a bust, no one cares about streaming games until the tech matches a near 1:1 in-house experience and doesn't require massive bandwidth pipes to use.

I actually disagree. It is the future, play on any device, wherever you are. It'll make piracy obsolete too.

Ofcourse we're not there yet but it is the future.

JB1981

I have a basic comcast cable connection. Nothing massive about my bandwith pipes and I get an experience that is on par with the PS3, basically. The technology will probably only improve. I think it's very promising.

Do you think the average gamer notices minor input lag? I've played these demos and noticed very slight lag, but I'm an exception, little imperfections usually drive me nuts. But I know my friends wouldn't notice it at all.

These are the most recent demos that have been added to Gaikai. You can access most of the available demos from www.gaikai.com/games
Latest Demos:
The Darkness 2
Anno 2070
The Adventures of Tin Tin
Orcs Must Die
From Dust
Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Fatal Conspiracy
Assasins Creed Brotherhood
Might and Magic Heroes VI
: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/html/pbPage.MightandMagicHeroes6_US Click the banner "Play the Demo Stream instanly for free"

Note: I have been having some technical issues with the service recently even though my connection is perfectly fine. You might have to try multiple times before a game starts. However, when I was able to get on, it worked really well for the most part. On the rare occassion, there was a glitch which rendered my controls useless.
EDIT: Gaikai support told me to update my java and flash, which I probably needed to do anyway.

also

Banned
It crashed FireFox but worked fine in Chrome.
I tried AC: Brotherhood. There was some minor stuttering but otherwise it was fine, well except the horrible keyboard+mouse controls.
This is a great idea and I hope it takes off. Being able to try a demo in a matter of minute(s) is simply amazing.

EDIT: I hope Ubisoft puts out a Rayman Origins demo.

It crashed FireFox but worked fine in Chrome.
I tried AC: Brotherhood. There was some minor stuttering but otherwise it was fine, well except the horrible keyboard+mouse controls.
This is a great idea and I hope it takes off. Being able to try a demo in a matter of minute(s) is simply amazing.

EDIT: I hope Ubisoft puts out a Rayman Origins demo.

Yeah, I wished that they had gamepad support for some of those games. It works really well in Chrome. I need to update my flash and java programs since that seems to be the cause of my issues that I posted earlier.

They will be launching a "full games" cloud gaming service through retailer/publisher sites in about 3 months after thier upcoming Facebook launch
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/gaikai-full-game-streaming-to-start-3-months-after-launching-on

The already have a deal with LG to included and LG branded cloud gaming service using Gaikai tech inside their Smart TVs. That should be here in the fall:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/lgs-gaikai-powered-cloud-gaming-service-hands-on/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...aikai_strikes_major_Smart_TV_integration_deal

wow, just tried this out on a pc that is POS and was playing a youtube quality video of Dead Space 2, but in terms of playing it, it worked, felt pretty responsive, and was just amazing to see this POS pc actually running it.

Ill always want the local rendering of a powerful rig, (unless of course they let you rent some sorta dropbox esque modding server space where u can modded games) but this could seriously explode the potential userbase for pc gaming to just about anyone with a computer from the last 7 years.

I was getting the following errors accessing Gaikai demos under Windows Vista using Chrome:

"We experienced an unexpected technical problem and were unable to start the GAIKAI game service. Please try again.' Event Code 004.2008"

EDIT: The cause of that specific error was my security/firewall programs blocking UDP connections from Gaikai. That was resolved when I used another install of Windows without that software.

However, I did get Gaikai to work 100% of the time in Google Chromium on Ubuntu 11.10 on the same hardware as before.

I fully installed Ubuntu on an external 2.5in usb hard drive. You have to install Sun Java and remove Open Java SDK in order for it to work. You find more about that here: http://softwareinabottle.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/install-sun-jdk-6-on-ubuntu-11-10/ .

Make sure you set up symoblic links and enable plugins on Chromium. Chromium will warn you about the running the Java plugin a couple of times (3 times). Just keep selecting "Run this plugin". I just need to install a joystiq and see if Gaikai will work with it in Ubuntu.

Tarin02543

It works really well (Chrome, 100mbit connection in Belgium). I've played some Darkness II, shitty game but they have proved themselves.

This actually works for me now. The input lag, or lack of it, is actually pretty impressive, but most games seem to render at a pretty low resolution, and there's always compression artifacts.

But still:
KSfD4.jpg

Madness!

This actually works for me now. The input lag, or lack of it, is actually pretty impressive, but most games seem to render at a pretty low resolution, and there's always compression artifacts.

But still:
KSfD4.jpg

Madness!

I did one of Gaikai's diagnostic test and I get 16ms of lag added to the game with my Verizon FIOS connection, which is about 1 frame. That is really good compared to OnLive which can average 5 frames of lag (83ms) of more. I don't feel that lag with Gaikai at all.

Top Bottom