• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA + Gaikai Demos Launch: Try Demos In Your Browser [Now Live]

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The best fucking thing by far about this is that it doesn't bring my laptop into hyper mode. It's all smooth sailing. So good

I was able to briefly play the Battlefield:BC2 demo. However, I didn't get time to finish it. Here are my brief impressions:
1. The game seemed to run at 1024x768 resolution
2. There wasn't any noticable input lag using mouse/keyboard and video quality seemed almost native.
3. However, there was an instance of slight video lag for a second, which got me killed. There is some ocassional screen tearing.
4. Multiplayer is dsiabled. If you select it, you have to input your EA account and a CD Key. You are able to see the server browser if you already own it, but it will kick you out if you select one.
5. There were a lot of short cut scenes in the beginning mission, which was kind of annoying (ex. Cutscene->shoot a couple of dudes-> short cutscene->shoot a couple of duded, etc). This all happened in the first 15 munites of me trying the game.
6. It's limited to 30 minutes.
7. I was kicked out of the game while I had it paused for 3 minutes. It told me that my bandwidth dropped.
8. This uses much more bandwidth than OnLive

Protocol7

Tried it a bit, works really well. (Mass Effect 2).
I guess this a good solution for people who don't have a great PC or just don't want to spend huge amounts of money for it, or simply well if you want to play from time to time and that average graphic quality doesn't bother that much. But still I'm guessing you need a really good connection too, with all the amount of data that must be streamed.
Wonder what the price is going to be, I guess some sort of monthly fee that would give you access to all of there titles, something like that?
Anyway personally not interested, playing a game that depends 100% on their server and my internet connection... no thank you... but really intrigued I have to say.

Edit: and yeah I want top notch graphic quality if I play on my PC or whatever a console can deliver if on a console.

2San

For me it feels like comparing a blue-ray vid to a 480p youtube vid. I'd rather download a demo. I guess it does have potential in the future. The games are surprisingly responsive though.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the Dragon Age 2 demo. It seemed like it worked okay, and lag was presumably in the game itself more than in the streaming stuff.

But wow, that is one of the ugliest demo areas ever. I didn't even get past the ogre after the long narrow pathways of enemy waves. There were lots of abilities and stats to level up though, so I probably messed up by not leveling them up early.

So, thanks to this service for cementing my lack of interest in Dragon Age 2 I guess? :p That's what demos are for so hey.

Mindlog

I was pretty impressed with how well it worked.

This should really be the way developers and publishers preview for the press.

K701

Banned
I'm impressed. When I first tried OnLive I was blown away, but after a while the novelty wore off because of the lag. But this is much more responsive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
thehillissilent said:
Here are maps of Gaikai's server coverage. You need to be close to their servers unlike OnLive.

US coverage map (as of Dec 2010):
20101202-11122605-gaikai-12-2-10-gaikaiusmap.jpg

Europe coverage heat map (as of July 2011)
gaikai_map_europe.jpg
hahahah, that is so awesome. I love how there's no coverage in Colorado except RIGHT ON TOP of where I live.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Dead Space. Worked a lot better than I expected.

Hulud

Impressive to see BFBC2 running in any form on this shitty 6-7 year old work computer, but the input lag made it unplayable for me.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I have been using Gaikai in beta and OnLive for some time now. Problem is Gakai is simple a demo only service. You still need to buy the media somewhere else than you need a PC able to play it.

OnLive can be played on a crappy old Laptop. The games play super smooth for me via OnLive with 2 users concurrently connected to OnLive both my son and I play. Had less problems with OnLive than ANY console I owned period.

I just wish 1080i/p were available.

hawkshockey11 said:
apparently an i5 is not a fast enough cpu to run these? BS

Ill stick to OnLive

You have to use high performance power mode in your power options.

Anyway, I notice that Gaikai uses a lot more bandwidth than OnLive, and it's a lot less stable than OnLive. However, I do have to say that the mouse\keyboard lag is minimal and the picture looks close to native for me.

-SD-

Banned
Finlander with Firefox and 24/1Mbit ADSL here.

Played Bad Company 2 single player.

- Slight lag in everything from controls to lip synch to whatever else.
- Lots of graphics glitches.
- No antialiasing.

BFBC2 is meh.

I can see this kind of a service appealing to some folks but not to me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
That was pretty cool. I guess there are people out there that would find this useful. I guess.

Stahsky said:
That was pretty cool. I guess there are people out there that would find this useful. I guess.
I personally think it's cool for a demo service. However, Gaikai has a ways to go before they can offer full games for streaming. It just not as stable as OnLive is. I've gotten kicked out of Gaikai various times due to my bandwidth dropping. I've only had this issue once on OnLive.

Jockel

50mbit connection in Germany, works better than OnLive for me.
But the low detail level is a dealbreaker for me.
My middle-class PC easily surpasses what's on display here.
Neat to play around with, but that's pretty much it.

Aeana

Wow, this is crazy. It seems to work very smoothly for me. Way better than I ever expected anything like this to work (I've never tried OnLive). The video quality looks okay to me, but then again I'm not very close to my television. Pretty cool, although not particularly useful to me as one of the main reasons why I find PC demos valuable is to gauge how my machine will run the game in question.

dose

Played Dead Space 2 via Firefox. Worked quite well, I was impressed by the image quality but the control delay was there, I couldn't play the whole game like that as it was too much. Again, nice for trying out demos.

big_z

runs awesome for me on a 25Mbps line. looks like a low quality youtube video in terms of compression but it's playable. streaming gaming is definitly the future but first we need much faster networks so we can have crystal clear picture quality and less input delay.

I have a 30Mbps connection 3Mpbs upstream, i get a latency of 8ms on some servers, that's better then some LANs I've been to. How is that not fast enough?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mass Effect 2 = Glorious

Tried out dragon age 2. I don't know if the lip synching was off in the game or not, I haven't played the actual game. I was afraid of the shit mountain. Anyways, it was pretty bad during the 1st cutscene and I stopped playing.

Flavius

Playing around with Sims 3 right now. Obviously not the best game to test in terms of lag, but everything seems responsive, and I was up and running lickety-split.

Pretty cool.

tsab

Tunesmith said:
Gets stuck on 67% then says Java could not be started on all games. :(

Running OSX Lion.

May I suggest updating Java (x64)?
I cannot test it though I am out of range of their closest datacenter.

Metalmurphy said:
I have a 30Mbps connection 3Mpbs upstream, i get a latency of 8ms on some servers, that's better then some LANs I've been to. How is that not fast enough?

Gaikai's requirements are much more strict than OnLive. You need to be much closer to the server you are connecting to. Also, Gaikai consumes more bandwidth if it's available.

Angry Fork

This is amazing, I'm trying ME2 right now and it actually works...on a damn browser. However apparently you can only play them for 90 minutes? which kind of sucks. Why limit the time on a demo. Maybe it's not linked to your IP though and if you clear cookies it'll reset.

Omikaru

Not impressed. It was like playing a YouTube video in terms of image quality, and despite all the efforts to eliminate lag, it was still there.

It'd be okay to demo games, but I'd never give them my money unless I also had a copy I could run locally.

MaddenNFL64

Onlive & this are pretty cool stuff.

But yea, with the 3 years "ownership" BS, I would never buy a full priced game off it. I've bought $5 games though, I think that's worth it.

domlolz

Banned
this is shit, I really hope these services don't take off as it seems I can't use any of them. My connection is pretty bad though 2mb at best and I have no idea when BT is going to be upgrading.

I finally got to try out Crysis 2 on Gaikai. I started Witcher 2, but I didn't get time to play it.

Impressions

Crysis 2:
1.Control was good. No noticeable lag
2. Window was really small close to 480p
3. Image quality wasn't as good as previous Gaikai experience
4. Graphics were decent

Witcher 2
1.Graphics seemed set to medum
2. Window was around 480p, which made it really hard to read the text.

qwerty2k

anyone know if this works in the uk? interested to give this a try after trying online since it launched in the uk, can;t get any of the games to work here, says either not in my country or internet traffic too high. *apologies for the bump*

I recently tried The Witcher 2 demo again, and it ran at a solid 720p. The image was clear and I could read the text this time. The game seemed to be running at very high settings. I didn't notice any control lag either. I wonder if this was the result of them adding more datacenters. The game did pause for about 30 seconds at one point, but it didn't kick me out of the game, which it used to do when bandwidth dropped. Overall, it was a much better experience then when I first tried it.

thehillissilent said:
IF you go to this youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/EAsportsfootball?playOnGaikai) you can play a streaming demo (similar to OnLive) via Gaikai

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/22/gaikai-delivering-fifa-12-demo-through-youtube-or-the-future-c/

For the demo to work, make sure that you disable ad-blocking software and that laptops are running in high performance mode. Also, you need the latest flash and java.

I can't see any "Play demo" banner on Chrome, maybe it's UK only?.

Top Bottom