• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome's GIF issue has apparently been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not sure. I re-downloaded it because I deleted it when I switched to FF.

Did you update via 'About Google Chrome'? If not, try that. And if that still doesn't work, then I'd reccomend re-downloading it.

That works. Don't need to re-download. Update via "about google chrome" and then relaunch when prompted.

edit: Browser feels snappier just in general, honestly. Seems like.

Updated.

It's an order of magnitude better than it was.

And the problem wasn't so much that chrome loaded gifs slowly (this is still a problem), it's that the page was completely unresponsive while you waited for the gifs to 100% load. No scrolling, no clicking, nothing. A gif-heavy page on the pre-fixed chrome was no better than a completely locked-up tab.

tumblr_mn2rgw2Fx21ql5yr7o1_r1_400.gif

iNvid02

feels good to SCROLL, best browser crown restored

edit: AYUP the gifcam thread is smooth as butter
DONT EVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN GUGGLE, U HEAR ME

I4vR9ix.gif

Van Owen

Banned
Still sticking with Firefox.

Can't wait until next release when it gets MSE enabled by default so I can switch to the html5 player on youtube.

Rootbeer

Banned
there are still some gif related patches that recently started appearing on the bug tracker... so if gifs still feel slower than they should for you (or too cpu intensive) try back in a few weeks and the patches may have made their way into the most current beta or canary build by that time.

but yes, at the very least chrome is useable for gif threads now. it's much better than it was.

Finally, I can stop skipping pages of threads because people keep quoting CPU hogging gifs.

Firefox is about to lose alot of usage for me.

Chrome's gif performance is significantly improved with this latest update. It's now good enough to not bother me anymore. Took you long enough, Google.

However, I'd still give Firefox a slight edge in gif performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom