• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EmulationStation | A pretty UI for launching your games

MRORANGE

http://www.emulationstation.org/
(Video)

EmulationStation is an open source front end for launching your gameswithout needing a keyboard, with it's themes and customization you can have a very slick looking front-end for you games. EmulationStation has metadata about games and supports a variety of OS's and devices including the Raspberry Pi.

6mlCYT1.png

Get boxart and info on your favorite games:

VhzW5o3.jpg

Getting started
FAQ

Example of how to get it working with RetroARCH,

You need to link what the console, parth of games and the right core in the es_systems.cfg

find it in C:\Users\USERNAME\.emulationstation

Say if I wanted to have a megadrive collection, I would do this:

Code:
<systemList>

<system>
		<name>megadrive</name>
		<fullname>Sega Megadrive</fullname>
		<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\megadrive</path>
		<extension>.zip</extension>
		<command>%HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L %HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\libretro\picodrive_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>megadrive</platform>
		<theme>megadrive</theme>	
	</system>

<system>

</systemList>

Just create another <system> tag to define another console.

Harlock

They need release a troo Retron being only the hardware and original cartridges plugs. No cartridges. You download the emulators cores open source and go. The games rom part would not be open source but everyone has your sins.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They need release a troo Retron being only the hardware and original cartridges plugs. No cartridges. You download the emulators cores open source and go. The games rom part would not be open source but everyone has your sins.
What?

The Llama

There's a REALLY cool looking emulator called OpenEMU for Mac's, cool to see something similarish is coming out for Windows.

MilkLizard

Sorry mate but what the hell are you trying to tell us?

Beyond awesome. I've dreamed of something like this since I was a kid. Can't believe it took so long for someone to code something like this. Glad it's finally here. Looking forward to trying it.

scitek

The setup process for this thing's left me in the dust. I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I feel like an idiot.

NogibTC

Banned
Recently set up RetroPie on my Raspberry Pi and it features EmulationStation. Pretty slick setup. Though configuring each emulator is a bit of a pain in the ass.

MRORANGE

The setup process for this thing's left me in the dust. I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I feel like an idiot.

You need to configure the es_systems.cfg

find it in C:\Users\USERNAME\.emulationstation

example of what I did for Megadrive

Code:
<systemList>
	<system>
		<name>nes</name>
		<fullname>Sega Megadrive</fullname>
		<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\megadrive</path>
		<extension>.zip</extension>
		<command>%HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L %HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\libretro\fceumm_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>megadrive</platform>
		<theme>megadrive</theme>	
	</system>

</systemList>

Use this for help, make sure you have something to emulate like retroarch first :http://www.emulationstation.org/gettingstarted.html#config

MRORANGE

Front end looks great, got it to find my files, looking into how to theme each individual console menu, looks like it's just some html for each one.

f8sPikn.jpg

OpenEmu appears to be superior TBH. Sleeker and simpler visually. I hit the page to download it but didn't see a Windows version. Mac only?

Yes, unfortunately.

You can change the fonts and colours ;)

While OpenEmu is great, this project is great for people who want to have a interface for their TV or other devices.

Yes, EmulationStation looks to be designed around controlling it with a controller/on a TV. Which is cool. Reminds me of those MAME front-ends.

Rich!

Had a look, but I'll be sticking with Retroarch. Easy to use, functional and still the best. My current setup:

ibjWB9SJUOLrgi.png

The core-based modular design of Retroarch is far superior to the basic frontend that emulationstation offers.

Awakened

It's really nice for what it sets out to do, but it's too text reliant for me. HyperSpin's ability to show each game's logo art instead of a boring text list puts it over the top. Plus the main system select wheel is so much more elaborate than any other frontend since you can theme each one.

The core-based modular design of Retroarch is far superior to the basic frontend that emulationstation offers.

Hmm. So OpenEmu is Mac only. EmulationStation is simply a basic front end that (according to this thread) is difficult to configure and install. I might try Retroarch then. I'd love a decent front end for my emulators but I don't really feel like spending the next hour tinkering with config files just to get it to run; only to then uninstall it afterwards.

I have some free time tonight though so I might try both anyway. With OpenEmu being Mac only Retroarch seems the best so far IMO.

Thanks for sharing this! Seems to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the emulator to load. I've got the games listed and scraped but whenever I try to load one the screen flashes and returns to the game list.

I'm using jNES and I've directed the script to its location but it just isn't working for some reason. Here's what I've got if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong:

Code:
<systemList>
	<system>
		<name>nes</name>
		<fullname>Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
		<path>~/.emulationstation/games/nes</path>
		<extension>.nes .NES</extension>
		<command>~/.emulationstation/emulators/jNES/Jnes.exe</command>
		<platform>nes</platform>
		<theme>nes</theme>
	</system>
</systemList>

MRORANGE

Thanks for sharing this! Seems to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the emulator to load. I've got the games listed and scraped but whenever I try to load one the screen flashes and returns to the game list.

I'm using jNES and I've directed the script to its location but it just isn't working for some reason. Here's what I've got if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong:

Code:
<systemList>
	<system>
		<name>nes</name>
		<path>~/.emulationstation/games/nes</path>
		<extension>.nes .NES</extension>
		<command>~/.emulationstation/emulators/jNES/Jnes.exe</command>
		<platform>nes</platform>
		<theme>nes</theme>
	</system>
</systemList>

You are using unix commands on Windows.

I don't know how to get games loaded on Jnes (I recommend using RetroARCH)) but it should look something like this:

(This will just launch the application, not the game)

Code:
<systemList>

<system>
		<name>nes</name>
		<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\nes</path>
		<extension>.nes .NES .zip</extension>
		<command>%HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\jnes\jnes.exe "ROM_RAW%</command>
		<platform>nes</platform>
		<theme>nes</theme>	
	</system>

</systemList>

Hmm, it seems that everything is right then. The only difference in our code is where my folders are named differently, so I guess I just need to figure out how to load the game directly with jnes. Whenever I try to load the emulator I get the message "'/User/Username' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Hmm, it seems that everything is right then. The only difference in our code is where my folders are named differently, so I guess I just need to figure out how to load the game directly with jnes. Whenever I try to load the emulator I get the message "'/User/Username' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Hmm try to put the whole command and the paths in quotes.

Figured it out. One thing to note with Retroarch, I think old versions included the core dlls in the download, now it's a separate download.

This is really slick. The best part is how it configures controls automatically for the emulator.
You may also want to configure a button in Retroarch that exits it, I don't see how to get back to Emulationstation otherwise from inside a game.

Oh yay, I've been looking for frontends for a long time. I tried HyperSpin, but it was a little bit... well, it would take a little time for me to figure out how to use. I've never quite found a frontend I would like.

Maybe this one will work. It looks pretty.

Mesoian

I've been looking for something to consolidate all of my emulators, and between this and Hyperspin, the one with the easier configuration wins.

I swear, getting this stuff to work with retroarch is such a headache.

me0wish

I thought retroarch is a pain to deal with and eventually gave up, but the video I posted made me set up emulationstation in 5 minutes, didn't even watch the whole thing.

Top Bottom