• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Togetherness - half hour comedy from the Duplass brothers - HBO - S1/S2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
3IzFAIc.jpg

Togetherness, a new comedy from Jay and Mark Duplass, starts up this Sunday, January 11th, at 9:30pm. The cast includes Mark Duplass, Melanie Lynskey, Steve Zissis, and Amanda Peet. The show looks to be a low-key look at parenthood and middle-age, and the trailers below should give you a decent idea of what to expect. There hasn't been a lot of buzz for this, but the early reviews are good and it's worth a look if the Duplass brothers or the subject matter are something that interest you.
HBO said:
Written, directed and executive produced by Jay and Mark Duplass ('Jeff, Who Lives at Home', 'Cyrus'), 'Togetherness' is a comedic look at four middle-aged people reconciling their dreams with their current personal and professional lives in Los Angeles.

Brett (Mark Duplass) and Michelle (Melanie Lynskey) are a married couple in their mid-late 30s struggling to adapt their relationship to the pressures of parenthood. Brett's best friend is Alex (Steve Zissis), an overweight, out-of-work actor debating if he still has a shot at being successful. Alex connects with Michelle's sister, Tina (Amanda Peet), a free spirit grappling with being single and getting older. Each adult fights to sustain his or her own passion without skirting responsibility. As the two couples find themselves living under one roof, 'Togetherness' explores the significance behind every day moments.

Videos:Links:Articles, Interviews, and Reviews:
O1BlroB.jpg

As Mr. Swag astutely pointed out, this is a new show on HBO so connoisseurs of fine television are obligated to at least give it a peek. I shall be doing just that!

I hope it's good, since I set a season pass, but what a terrible timeslot. It's sandwiched between the terrible Girls and the mostly boring Looking.

Needless to say, Shameless is getting watched way before anything HBO will be airing on Sundays for the next three months.

- Vanity Fair capsule review:
Here is another installment in the recent trend of TV shows that feel like solid, independent films. (Think Transparent, Rectify, or The Knick.) From mumblecore phenoms Jay and Mark Duplass, this story of a Los Angeles couple and those near and dear to them is buoyed by great writing and a phenomenal cast (Amanda Peet and Melanie Lynskey, two amazing actresses who don’t get nearly enough work) are particularly welcome here. If you love what the Duplassess do—that is, intimate, realistic, personal drama—this is that formula at its best.

- Sepinwall's review:
I'm reluctant to praise "Togetherness" too much, because the smallness of the story and the performances doesn't really work well with overhype. (The TV criticism establishment — myself included — did "Girls" no favors by trumpeting it as The Next Big Thing, when its ambitions and presentation were so much more modest.) It's not the kind of show you've never seen before, and even the tone of it isn't all that revelatory, given all the recent Sundance-to-TV migration. But it's a really well-executed version of what it is (I enjoyed it much more than "Married," for instance), and I happily devoured all eight episodes over a couple of days last month. It's a strong addition to HBO's library in general, and to this new Sunday lineup in particular.

We came up with the word togetherness as a rough translation for the Dutch word gezelligheid.

I wonder how this series will teach Americans what it means to have a good time while being thoughtful and respectful to one another.

- Tim Goodman's review for THR
Though Peet and especially Zissis get the funnier lines and situations, there's a very palpable element of sadness to their characters as well. Togetherness works because of the balance in the storytelling — knowing when to mine something for humor or play it more starkly. That kind of tonal awareness is essential for this kind of show to succeed — too light undercuts the deeper meaning, too heavy makes it an unwatchable pity party. Luckily, the TV landscape has a number of fine examples of this niche genre and Togetherness is a superb new entry that slides in almost fully formed right next to them.

- Boston Globe review:
“Togetherness,” which premieres on Sunday at 9:30 p.m., quickly blossoms into a deeply enjoyable series that is as heartfelt and honest as it is funny. Like many current cable series, including “Transparent” and “Nurse Jackie,” it’s a half-hour but, with its dark corners, it doesn’t really fit into the comedy category.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The show is pretty good. All four of the main cast do well with the loose, conversational, semi-improvised feel and they all play good sad sacks. The tone is a little weird--very quickly oscillating from slapstick comedy to somber depressing Parenthood-esque dramedy. Overall I would say a sad or at least weathered, quiet, middle aged comedy. I think a lot of married couples or mid-career burnout would relate. Pretty on brand for HBO. Closest currently on the air comparison would be FX's Married but this show is a little lighter and has more ha ha funny moments. "This is 40" comes to mind but quieter.

I don't recognize the actress who plays Duplass' wife but she's gorgeous. I was actually stunned more than once. Wow.

Gender equality watch: Both male and female nudity.

All the reviews above are good encapsulations of what I felt about the show.

I don't recognize the actress who plays Duplass' wife but she's gorgeous. I was actually stunned more than once. Wow.

Melanie Lynskey was "the other one" in Heavenly Creatures, as in the one who is not Kate Winslet. She was also in Two and a Half Men for quite a while. I believe IRL she is married to Jimmi Simpson.

- Onion A|V Club review
What the concept lacks in novelty, it mostly makes up with a sure-footed execution and all-in performances. Each of the four leads does stellar work, especially Lynskey and Peet. The former is strong enough to make a curiosity of her lengthy tenure on Two And A Half Men, while the latter lends Tina enough magnetism to buoy her during moments of extreme brattiness. But Zissis is the most pleasant surprise: He’s arguably too good at playing Alex, slipping so naturally into the chubby sidekick role it makes the character seem oblivious for thinking he can credibly pass himself off as something else. B+

devenger

I caught "The One I Love" on Netflix streaming yesterday, produced by and starring Mark Duplass. It was kind of a Twilight Zone romance with comedy, and I enjoyed it.

So, having been completely unaware of this guy or his brother, looking forward to this. Thanks.

- Mark and Jay Duplass talk moving to TV with HBO's 'Togetherness'
- Maureen Ryan's review:
"Togetherness," a fine new HBO offering from Jay and Mark Duplass and Steve Zissis, sits very squarely at the center of this new subgenre, which unites the artistic strengths and intimate scale of independent cinema with the narrative rewards of character-driven television.

"Togetherness" can be hard to watch at times, given that it looks unflinchingly at the difficulties of marriage and friendship as middle age approaches, but the show is absolutely worth sticking with, if only for the virtuoso performance from Zissis, whose failed-actor character is one of the finest new creations to arrive on television in some time.

As a fan of the films from the Duplass bros., I'm excited to see how their talents translate to the small screen. The reviews sound very promising. I also like this new trend where more and more filmmakers are coming to television and directing and/or writing an entire season. It makes each season feel like one long movie.

Also, thanks Cornballer for making not just this thread but a lot of the other tv threads and keeping them constantly updated.

Series premiere tonight:
Family Day

A struggling actor is evicted from his apartment, and his best friend tries to convince him to stay in Los Angeles; Michelle Pierson's older sister visits from Houston; Michelle and Brett clash while on an outing at the beach.

- TV.com review:
All told, Togetherness paints a realistic picture of the hard truths presented by life, marriage, friendship, and growing older without realizing your dreams (or even knowing what your dreams are). At times it feels like a premium-cable version of FX's Married (read: there's a lot more nudity); more often, it feels like the indie films the Duplass brothers are known for, just divided into eight smaller parts. If that's your thing, Togetherness is totally worth checking out.

- Vox review:
But Togetherness is a really, really well-executed version of this particular story, with the Duplass brothers' inimitable directorial style meshing perfectly with the sorts of comedies HBO often embraces. The brothers have always loved holding their camera on an actor's face, watching as they figure things out or have big emotional moments, and that fits perfectly in between Girls and Looking, two other shows where close-ups are embraced, but to very different ends. (HBO could almost bill this as an ad hoc film school in various approaches to intimate filmmaking.)

Bladenic

Love Mark Duplass and the Duplass brothers' style. I'm all in.

Edit: good premiere. Amanda Peet was the best thing about it.

My friend worked/works on this show and I really enjoyed it. Seems like it's going to be a good, strong eight episodes. All the cast did really well in the pilot.

MisterR

I thought the first episode was fantastic. Really looking forward to the rest of the season. The strawberry hill/Youth gone wild/TP the house scene was great.

Leunam

Feeding people tasty treats seems like a good move in some situations. I'm going to go around spreading joy that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the premiere was decent, albeit the low point of HBO's Sunday block. I'm sure it'll even out after a bit, but I thought the tone was all over the place.

what a terrible timeslot.

And a weird programming block to boot - I mean, only 90 minutes? They couldn't fit another half hour in there to make it an even 2? :(Enlightened):

Gender equality watch: Both male and female nudity.

dHxMJCA.gif

In retrospect, Married was actually a good show.

It is very very "Married", yeah. Almost distressingly so. I guess we'll see where it goes.

I agree with Ratsky. Welcome back, Ratsky!!! Don't ever do that again! You've been missed!!!

My wife and I watched it. It was okay. They introduced some stuff that will obviously play out. Whether we tune in every week or hop onto HBO Go occasionally when we don't have anything else to watch (ha ha) is up in the air at the moment. I didn't add it to the regular DVR queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom