• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Up to 2,000 people may have died in Boko Haram attack on a northern Nigerian town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigeria's militant Islamists have carried out a second attack on the key north-eastern town of Baga, an official has told the BBC.

Boko Haram fighters burnt down almost the entire town on Wednesday, after over-running a military base on Saturday, Musa Alhaji Bukar said.

Bodies lay strewn on Baga's streets, amid fears that some 2,000 people had been killed in the raids, he added.

Mr Bukar, a senior government official in the area, said that fleeing residents told him that the town, which had a population of about 10,000, was now "virtually non-existent".

"It has been burnt down," he said.

Those who fled reported that they had been unable to bury the dead, and corpses littered the town's streets, he said.

Boko Haram was effectively in control of Baga and 16 neighbouring towns, Mr Bukar said.

Government troops abandoned the military base in Baga on Saturday, when the militants launched an assault.

Thousands have fled Baga - many to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, and others to Chad.

A large number reportedly drown as they crossed Lake Chad following Saturday's raid.

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in Borno and two neighbouring states in 2013, vowing to defeat the militants.

However, Boko Haram has stepped up attacks since then, and there are fears that many people in the area will not be able to vote in next month's general elections because of the conflict.
map of areas under attack by Boko Haram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30728158

Extremist are having a field day in the World, the only way to stop them before force is to break their claims and the only way to that is to make the Moderate side to have the upper say.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Extremist are having a field day in the World, the only way to stop them before force is to break their claims and the only way to that is to make the Moderate side to have the upper say.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're suggesting but it sounds interesting.

Beefy

Yep like I posted in the other thread. Something needs to be done to help the poor people in Nigeria.

I think when a militant group has the resources to overwhelm a military base and take over dozens of towns, it is no longer sufficient to call them a militant group. This is a civil war. Nigeria is at war with Boko Haram within its own borders.

I think when a militant group has the resources to overwhelm a military base and take over dozens of towns, it is no longer sufficient to call them a militant group. This is a civil war. Nigeria is at war with Boko Haram within its own borders.

Not only they're at war, Nigeria is losing it pretty spectacularly.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're suggesting but it sounds interesting.
Moderate Islam rarely takes the spotlight and the extreme side is more active either theoretically (Some Political Islamic Groups) or Physical (Al Qauda and ISIS) . The post Arabic Spring events has woke up the Arabic street to scary fact that connects the Islamic Political Groups with extremism. Which led people to sperate religion and politics. At least ISIS is a visible threat but the hidden political Islamic groups especially the ones who are hiding in the West and promoting the these ideologies to expand and dominate. The voice of Moderate Islam has become the dominant religious voice in some Muslim countries and non Muslim Countries that has a Muslim population must work with the moderate voice of Islam that are not connected to politics or any other area of personal gain.

I think countries like Nigeria should be boycotted until they actually deal with the Terrorists. In the current situation, nothing is really done and many people die.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Moderate Islam rarely takes the spotlight and the extreme side is more active either theoretically (Some Political Islamic Groups) or Physical (Al Qauda and ISIS) . The post Arabic Spring events has woke up the Arabic street to scary fact that connects the Islamic Political Groups with extremism. Which led people to sperate religion and politics. At least ISIS is a visible threat but the hidden political Islamic groups especially the ones who are hiding in the West and promoting the these ideologies to expand and dominate. The voice of Moderate Islam has become the dominant religious voice in some Muslim countries and non Muslim Countries that has a Muslim population must work with the moderate voice of Islam that are not connected to politics or any other area of personal gain.
Ah I gotchya, but this would only prove that the vast majority of Muslims are non violent and strongly against these attacks, which I think most people agree on. The debate as to whether or not religion (or Islam specifically) is a major ingredient in these attacks would still continue unabated.

Ashes

Banned
Are the people in those towns not Muslim? Is that why they are murdering all these people?

The Nigerian Army was last year accused of conducting the Baga massacre a couple of years ago. So I don't think anyone is safe there.

I don't agree with that post, but the government's response to Boko Haram's threat has been reprehensible. Nigerian institutions have flirted with Boko Haram for a long time, and now it's biting them in their asses.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
also, while i fully appreciate the gravity of the tragedy, i couldn't help but find some light-hearted solace in the innocuous detail that "boko haram" really does sound like a Japanese dating sim.

2.000 people..wow. But this is Africa and nobody gives a shit.

The US used to be Nigeria's biggest oil importer. India is now. Lots of people give a shit. It's just a very complicated situation.

There is also speculation that there are factions of the Nigerian military sympathetic to BH's goals, if not their methods.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Reminds me of that saying how a single or handful of deaths is a tragedy but hundreds or thousands of deaths is a statistic. Hard to imagine that number of people being slaughtered.

RIP

Ah I gotchya, but this would only prove that the vast majority of Muslims are non violent and strongly against these attacks. Which I think most people agree on. The debate as to whether or not religion (or Islam specifically) is a major ingredient in these attacks would still continue unabated.
By looking at the Arabic spring Islamic Imams who had a hidden political agenda were more vocal and resulted in many people joining ISIS before its formation, while moderate Imams didn't deny nor agree although when asked they told people not to join which is a common law in Islam not to get involve in shady unclear stuff which drove the other Imams with political agenda nuts. If these moderate Imams got the spot light they could break the religious speech that those Terrorists use.

smurfx

get some go again
I think countries like Nigeria should be boycotted until they actually deal with the Terrorists. In the current situation, nothing is really done and many people die.
so starve the innocent because the government can't control this group? You would only be helping boko haram by doing this. It's easier to recruit people that are starving and don't have much to lose.

Betty

Banned
And you know what we, the west, can do about this?

Nothing.

Sure, we could go to war with them, but we're still recovering financially from the last war and not only would we lose soldiers, but there would inevitably be retaliation attacks from both Boko Haram for getting involved in the first place and from other radicals for the collateral damage that would no doubt ensue.

And then we'd have to face the same chorus of apologists that would enjoy reminding us we are to blame for the attacks on our countries and that we shouldn't have gotten involved to begin with.

So all we can do, as sad and as miserable a reality as it is, is nothing. There's not even any point in drawing attention to these atrocities, the only people that can do anything about them are well aware of these events, and it would only serve to make us feel hopeless for their situation.

And even if we don't get involved, we'll still be labelled as evil, uncaring assholes by the people that are going through this nightmare.

Ain't it grand?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
By looking at the Arabic spring Islamic Imams who had a hidden political agenda were more vocal and resulted in many people joining ISIS before its formation, while moderate Imams didn't deny nor agree although when asked they told people not to join which is a common law in Islam not to get involve in shady unclear stuff which drove the other Imams with political agenda nuts. If these moderate Imams got the spot light they could break the religious speech that those Terrorists use.

Ah, okay, this reasoning makes sense to me. That sounds like a solid plan.

Beefy

I'm talking about the Baga Massacre in 2013. This whole thing is a tragedy beyond words. You've got boko haram who are killing all these people here now. And then before this lot, the Nigerian Army are alleged to have committed masaceres there if my memory serves me right.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baga_massacre

I saw a documentary about Nigeria last year. It was about the Nigerian army commiting mass killings. There was a undercover reporter who joined the army, his unit was sent to a small village as there were rumours about some Boko Haram followers hiding there. What they did was disgusting and I will always remember it. They dragged a young teenager away from his family and accused him of being BH. He denied it and because of this they tortured him. They beat him and kick him and shot him in the chest (making sure the shot wouldn't kill him). They then smacked his head over and over against a wall until he bled. He still somehow manager to denie being BH again through deep breaths of pain. So they kicked him into a river face down so he drowned. All this was done infront of his family and the other people they had accused, the soldiers said something like this is what you get when you lie. They then excuted the remaining people who they had labeled BH by shooting them in the head and then left.

Ashes

Banned
And you know what we, the west, can do about this?

Nothing.

Sure, we could go to war with them, but we're still recovering financially from the last war and not only would we lose soldiers, but there would inevitably be retaliation attacks from both Boko Haram for getting involved in the first place and from other radicals for the collateral damage that would no doubt ensue.

And then we'd have to face the same chorus of apologists that would enjoy reminding us we are to blame for the attacks on our countries and that we shouldn't have gotten involved to begin with.

So all we can do, as sad and as miserable a reality as it is, is nothing. There's not even any point in drawing attention to these atrocities, the only people that can do anything about them are well aware of these events, and it would only serve to make us feel hopeless for their situation.

And even if we don't get involved, we'll still be labelled as evil, uncaring assholes by the people that are going through this nightmare.

Ain't it grand?

I'm not a big fan of American Foreign politics, but to fair to them, their efforts in the aftermath of the kidnapping girls events were about as much as you could without full on military intervention. What with trying to bolster education and help with stability in the country.

Yamauchi

Banned
It's horrific, isn't it? I can't think of any solution. The world sadly is not at a state of development where we have an international apparatus in place to deal with problems like this. Partitioning Nigeria into a poor Islamic north and a wealthy Christian south followed by population transfers Greece-Turkey or Pakistan-India style would be a dreadful decision, but it might save lives.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This is the equivalent of "no-offense but you stink". How do you expect me not to take offense...

perhaps, "while i appreciate the gravity of the tragedy, i couldn't help but find some light-hearted solace in this innocuous detail" would have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom