• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiinUSoft: use WiiU Pro Controller/Wiimote/more on PC w/ SUPPORTED Bluetooth adapters

Miker

Info from http://www.wiinupro.com/news/wiinusoftreleased

WiinUSoft is meant to be a simple and easy to use tool for one purpose only, using your Nintendo bluetooth controllers as an XInput device (what Xbox 360 controllers use) on your PC (currently only for Windows). Since WiinUSoft was made with simpletons in mind, setup very minimal and the program is strait forward and easy to use. It works with Wii Remotes, Classic Controllers, Classic Controller Pros, and Wii U Pro Controllers. You can use up to 4 controllers of any combination at a time all acting as an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Download at http://www.wiinupro.com/downloads (WiinUSoft.zip)

Basically, you can play any 360-controller supported game with all the Wii/Wii U controllers if you have a supported Bluetooth adapter - and it supports rebinding buttons. I haven't tried it with many games yet, but it worked flawlessly in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transmorfed, Resident Evil 6, and RetroArch.

Now, here's the important thing, and why supported is capitalized in the thread title:
The Wii U Pro Controller and newer Wiimotes (Wiimote Plus) require the Toshiba Bluetooth stack as opposed to the default Microsoft Bluetooth stack. The Toshiba Bluetooth stack can only be installed on certain supported Bluetooth adapters, although it can be forced onto some adapters through a somewhat complicated process. Also note that I haven't tried older Wiimotes, but I think they work with the Microsoft stack.

Got that? It sucks, yeah, but if you have a supported adapter - or buy one for $10, then you're in business. For more info about the Toshiba Bluetooth stack, with download links and a guide for forcing the stack onto unsupported adapters, here's Dolphin's site on it.

I was able to force the driver onto my crappy $10 adapter, and I actually switch back and forth between the Microsoft stack for DualShock 4 usage and the Toshiba stack for Wii U Pro Controller usage (Toshiba doesn't work with DS4). It's great having an extra controller around, and even better when I don't need to buy an extra dongle.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'll give it a shot. I used to use WiinUPro but got tired of some of the headaches with it. Hopefully it's more convenient as I'm tired of the face button swapping on the Mayflash adapter.

Oh man, I doubt it will happen but if they get LimeLight / Steam In Home Streaming to pipe out to the controller screen I'll be so happy.

TheMoon

Oh it got updated? I tried an early version about a year ago and had some issues. Will try this again!

Miker

I'll give it a shot. I used to use WiinUPro but got tired of some of the headaches with it. Hopefully it's more convenient as I'm tired of the face button swapping on the Mayflash adapter.

I believe this time around it's using a method similar to Dualshock 3/4 drivers and not weird virtual joystick stuff, so it should work.

Oh man, I doubt it will happen but if they get LimeLight / Steam In Home Streaming to pipe out to the controller screen I'll be so happy.

This doesn't support the gamepad, and I don't think it ever will.

So what's a good, cheap adapter that'll easily work?

Y'know, I'm not sure. I think it's probably best to pick one out that has good reviews for the price on Amazon or Newegg, then google to see if it's compatible.

MLH

Oh cool I've been using Justin Keys' WiinPro software for a year or so now, I didn't know he was still working on improvements. This is great since I have a number of profiles set up in WiinUPro for compatibility reasons, this should remove the need to switch profiles for certain games.

Grief.exe

Give me Xinput GameCube controller!

I realize we are missing some buttons, but many games don't require the full set.

GaussTek

Well, tried using it with a (normal) Wii Remote and it works. But, is there a way for it to stop blinking? Or that shouldn't happen? (using the internal bluetooth device on the laptop + the default MS drivers).

Edit. I guess it has to do with my BT device, as I have to pair it each time I try to connect the Wii Remote (remove device first and then connect it again) :/

DizzyCrow

Well, tried using it with a (normal) Wii Remote and it works. But, is there a way for it to stop blinking? Or that shouldn't happen? (using the internal bluetooth device on the laptop + the default MS drivers).

Edit. I guess it has to do with my BT device, as I have to pair it each time I try to connect the Wii Remote (remove device first and then connect it again) :/
Did you tested the Pro Controller? If it works is one less controller for me to buy.

GaussTek

Did you tested the Pro Controller? If it works is one less controller for me to buy.

Sadly, I'm on the same boat. Don't own a Pro Controller yet, and I was testing the Wii Remote first to see if it worked with my BT device.

But, I can't figure out how to stop the Wii remote lights from blinking (otherwise it works, and games I tried detect it fine). I guess I'll have to find another BT device and try to install the Toshiba stack on it, as I cannot do it with the internal one :(

tm24

How do you switch between the Toshiba stack and the MS stack? Also, is it possible to have two different adapters running different stacks?

Dryk

I'm in the same boat. I got sick of dealing with WiinUPro's shit and got a Mayflash but DInput support is... lacking nowadays

HUELEN10

Wait, a non-antisemetic software solution for Windows? About damned time!

IMed my friend a few minutes ago; seems to work!

Is it possible to use a WiiU Pro Controller connected via USB? I used to do that with my DS3 controller so I never got a bluetooth adapter and I dont wanna have to get one now.

Miker

Does this have lag compared to a standard Xbox 360 controller?

Not that I can tell.

How do you switch between the Toshiba stack and the MS stack? Also, is it possible to have two different adapters running different stacks?

I go to device manager > bluetooth > right click the device > update driver software. Then Search automatically for updated driver software and Windows switches back to the Microsoft stack, or Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers > Toshiba stack. However, my Bluetooth dongle has the forced compatibility, so I can only speak for myself. And I don't see why two different adapters wouldn't work.

Is it possible to use a WiiU Pro Controller connected via USB? I used to do that with my DS3 controller so I never got a bluetooth adapter and I dont wanna have to get one now.

No, the USB cable is for charging only.

As for people suggesting the Mayflash adapter - it's probably a better option for a lot of people. That said, this is a useful alternative for people like me who already have a working Bluetooth adapter, although it can be a pain in the ass depending on your dongle. I also find the rebinding useful - I've heard the Mayflash binds button to button, and I prefer to match the button layout instead.

Plus, if you take the time to install the Toshiba stack, you'll also gain the ability to use a Wiimote Plus in Dolphin, so you can play stuff like Skyward Sword.

GaussTek

So, I decided to try a generic BT dongle I had lying around and luckily it accepted the Toshiba stack, yay!

And yeah, that fixed the Wii Remote flashing issue. That means, default MS stack doesn't work very well even with older Wiimotes, at least on Win 8.1.

So, now hopefullyI can grab a Wii U Pro Controller soon! :D

sfried

Are there any benefits for us who have Mayflash Wii U to PC Adapters? Doesn't seem to work despite my Wii U already being connected.

me0wish

I regret buying Mayflash dongle, the button layout is just horrible, I would recommend against it.

Anyone else's Pro Controller keeps appearing as a Wiimote?
I'm having this issue, but I'm connecting the Pro controller with MS Bluetooth stack.

Ziffles

I was able to force the driver onto my crappy $10 adapter, and I actually switch back and forth between the Microsoft stack for DualShock 4 usage and the Toshiba stack for Wii U Pro Controller usage (Toshiba doesn't work with DS4). It's great having an extra controller around, and even better when I don't need to buy an extra dongle.

Ew, well that sucks. Though, if they get the Wii U touchpad working as a mouse controller I might consider switching over to it.

Needham

Can I make this work with Dark Souls 2? Everything works, but it added Bluetooth HID Port to my game controllers list, which is apparently a problem with the Dark Souls games. Disabling it kills the controller, so is there another option?

I gave it a whirl with Dead Space 2 and it worked perfectly, so everything seems fine, Dark Souls is just picky.

Miker

Can I make this work with Dark Souls 2? Everything works, but it added Bluetooth HID Port to my game controllers list, which is apparently a problem with the Dark Souls games. Disabling it kills the controller, so is there another option?

I gave it a whirl with Dead Space 2 and it worked perfectly, so everything seems fine, Dark Souls is just picky.

I don't have Dark Souls 2, but yeah, it doesn't work for me in Dark Souls 1. Weird. Every other game I've tried has worked perfectly.

Info from http://www.wiinupro.com/news/wiinusoftreleased

Download at http://www.wiinupro.com/downloads (WiinUSoft.zip)

Basically, you can play any 360-controller supported game with all the Wii/Wii U controllers if you have a supported Bluetooth adapter - and it supports rebinding buttons. I haven't tried it with many games yet, but it worked flawlessly in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transmorfed, Resident Evil 6, and RetroArch.

Now, here's the important thing, and why supported is capitalized in the thread title:
The Wii U Pro Controller and newer Wiimotes (Wiimote Plus) require the Toshiba Bluetooth stack as opposed to the default Microsoft Bluetooth stack. The Toshiba Bluetooth stack can only be installed on certain supported Bluetooth adapters, although it can be forced onto some adapters through a somewhat complicated process. Also note that I haven't tried older Wiimotes, but I think they work with the Microsoft stack.

Got that? It sucks, yeah, but if you have a supported adapter - or buy one for $10, then you're in business. For more info about the Toshiba Bluetooth stack, with download links and a guide for forcing the stack onto unsupported adapters, here's Dolphin's site on it.

How do you switch between stacks?

I was following this up to release and i was really excited for this but it just doesn't work for me. Of the three games I tried, only portal 2 worked. Ground zeroes and dark souls 2 weren't playable. And beyond that, the Microsoft Bluetooth stack reinstalled every time I rebooted.

I'm going to keep my eye on this and see if it gets updates, but until then my dualshock 4 is doing just fine for me.

flawfuls

Wow this is great thanks for posting.

How do you switch between stacks?

You have to download and install the toshiba software here. If it installs properly then you just go to Bluetooth settings in the newly installed Toshiba folder and add the wii remotes/gamepad. After that you should be able to use WiinUSoft.

The link to the dolphin site in the OP has a more detailed explanation.

The installation actually stalled out halfway through for me, but it all seems to work anyway.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Do you have the Wii U pro controller synced via Toshiba stack?

Yup. Uninstalled and installed it again and it recognized it like a wiimote and after the third reinstall it got recognized as it should.

Wow this is great thanks for posting.

You have to download and install the toshiba software here. If it installs properly then you just go to Bluetooth settings in the newly installed Toshiba folder and add the wii remotes/gamepad. After that you should be able to use WiinUSoft.

The link to the dolphin site in the OP has a more detailed explanation.

The installation actually stalled out halfway through for me, but it all seems to work anyway.

And how do i switch back?

Miker

And how do i switch back?

Try device manager > bluetooth radios > right-click on the bluetooth adapter > update driver software.

Then try "search automatically for updated driver software" - for me, this rolls my adapter back to the Microsoft stack.

If that doesn't help, try "browse my computer for driver software" > let me pick... > [whatever your default bluetooth adapter driver is called]

The only thing that stops me from using the WiiU Pro controller for PC games is the glossy plastic; I have sweaty hands. Is there any way to do anything about this?

This looks very promising though!

Doopliss

There's a new version out (1.1):

• WiinUSoft no longer shares! Access to controllers are now blocked from other programs, so playing Dark Souls shouldn't pose an issue anymore while using WiinUSoft.
  • Rumble Support has been improved. Vibration intensity will now respond better to what the games output so a soft rumble output will no longer feel like a maximum output.
  • Rumble Intensity can be adjusted. You can control the amount of force feedback you receive or turn it off completely.
  • Wiimotes now also support rumble.
  • Various bug fixes. Issues with saving profiles and a crash revolving around auto connect have been resolved.

sfried

I regret buying Mayflash dongle, the button layout is just horrible, I would recommend against it.
What are you talking about? The button layout is perfect. And if you want XInput button position, you can switch that too with the latest firmware update.

Still any word about benefits for Mayflash owners?

Brofield

Is there an easy to read list of games compatible with controllers (and also which ones require use of analog triggers)? I'm looking to grab GTAV soon on PC but I've always been awful with KBM, so I'm hoping I can just use a controller I already own, like the Wii U Pro, or if necessary find the wireless dongle that connects 360 to PC.

Top Bottom