• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 2 - Which do you prefer and why?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have thoroughly enjoyed Resident Evil’s rerelease on the PCS36Bon4. I think the game stands the test of time remarkably well, with its finely tuned balance and great level design. Hell, even the visuals largely look fantastic. However, I’ve always been of the position that, as good as it was, Resident Evil Remake was always the second best of the classic series, firmly behind Resident Evil 2. I’m not so sure, so I thought I’d get some of your opinions.

Technically, obviously Remake holds up far better than RE2. Remake consistently improved on the artistic design of the mansion, guardhouse (“residence”), and lab far beyond anything present in the original game, and so it genuinely deserves accolades for how deftly it uses pre-rendered backgrounds with real-time effects. Resident Evil 1’s original mansion was something of a hideous ghost house, with garish wallpaper, awful wood paneling in spots, and uninspired architecture. Remake obviously changes all of that. Still, though, I still myself really impressed by the atmosphere that exudes from Resident Evil 2’s many backgrounds. The chief’s office and the sewer area under his office, the various libraries and conference rooms, the kennel and the parking garage, the prison, the chaos of Raccoon City’s streets, and the clinical sterility of the lab strike me as particularly memorable. I don’t know if I prefer one over the other, but I certainly like how effectively RE2 makes things so common feel so foreign. Has anyone ever been comfortable in a police station since this game?

Resident Evil 2’s level structure was a big step up over Resident Evil 1, I think. The police station creatively linked together both believably and in a way that made the game really fun to play. Remake redesigned portions of the mansion and created a number of great shortcuts that I think at least bring the games to par. It’s hard to determine which is better. I’d be interested to hear positions on either game. I think it might be the case that Resident Evil’s structure is a bit more believable as a real place and that Resident Evil 2’s sewer and lab hiding under a police station (that doesn’t really feel much like a police station) feel somewhat falsely constructed.

Resident Evil 2 feels like a much stronger action title to me. Remake is a bit slower and more methodical, treating the zombies and other monsters as almost obstacles to be avoided in a sort of puzzle. Resident Evil 2 has far more enemies strewn throughout the levels, but it’s hard to say it feels like a straight action game. Maybe the characters are just better equipped to deal with it. Perhaps it’s a matter of pacing. This is why I think I’ve always liked RE2 more, but I’m not quite so sure anymore. It feels like RE2 is continually moving the player from locale to locale with combat sprinkled throughout, whereas Remake has a lot more exploration of the beginning areas as you gradually piece together how the mansion works. Remake adds a bit of urgency with the introduction of Crimson Heads, which ups the tension and encourages the player to move more quickly and decisively through the game world.

I think the second game has better boss fights. There aren’t that many in Remake, and I prefer the build to the boss fights in RE2. Birkin is an incredible antagonist. I’ll never forget him punching through the train car wall…or encountering him on that narrow platform under the Chief’s office…or in the sewer area. His constant repetition and the need to avoid him is just a great reminder of the constant urgency players feel throughout the game.

RE2 obviously has the Zapper system, which is still a concept that I find unique and enhances replayability.

I don’t normally care much about the plot of the Resident Evil games, but I generally prefer RE2. The goofy charm of Resident Evil 1 (that gets massaged a bit in the Remake to be a bit more serious) fades away in Resident Evil 2 for a tense thriller plot that doesn’t let you go until you finally complete Claire B. The grand Umbrella conspiracy is explained in more depth and with more interesting side plots and side characters. Still, Remake greatly enriches the plot of the first game with the Lisa Trevor side story and by turning the goof factor down a bit.

The games both have great music. Remake’s is much improved over the original Resident Evil, what with its farting music in the basement.

Which do you like and why? It’s really hard to nail down why I would like one more than the other.

Don’t just post “RE” or “RE2” and then leave the thread.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
While I personally adore REmake, RE2 still takes the cake. It has a better use of the dual character system, a more interesting story, a great setting on par with the mansion, and generally feels like a perfect continuation of and improvement upon RE1 in every way. It set the "main" RE storyline in motion, for better or for worse, with Claire searching for Chris (I love the little nods to the subplots, such as finding Chris' letter at his S.T.A.R.S. office desk) and leaving us with a ton of cliffhanger endings.

I feel like the seclusion of the mansion gives off a slightly better atmosphere and is more well suited for a survival horror game, but Raccoon City's zombie outbreak manages to make you feel just as trapped, despite how much more "open" one would think a city would be. The story actually manages to find a footing of its own - I feel as if the first relied mostly on atmosphere, as there wasn't much plot outside of scattered files and "let's find Chris/Barry and escape the mansion". RE2 has more going on in that regard, what with Birkin, protecting Sherry, wondering what the character you didn't choose is up to, more interaction with side characters, etc. I feel as if the monster design is a bit more creative and improved upon in 2, as well - Lickers, especially, are terrifying foes. A REmake 2 would be glorious.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played RE2 in years, but I played through it many many times when I was younger. Probably upwards of 10 playthroughs. I love that it has 4 campaigns, it's super replayable. I really like the opening on the streets and the setting in general, even though the police station requires even more suspension of disbelief than the mansion. Mr X also scared the goddamn living shit out of me, especially that one time he bursts through the gd wall on the second floor.

Buuuut having played through Remake again on the HD version, and doing my first speedrun, I really appreciate how tightly that game's designed. It's also pretty replayable. It's maybe a little too easy tho? I mean, it's a hard game for a newbie, but once you know where to go and what to do, it's kind of trivial. I don't know, the same might be true of RE2 though.

So idk, both great games, RE 2 is better in my mind but it may be nostalgia talking. But one thing is for sure: WE NEED A RE 2 HD REMAKE AS WELL

KorrZ

REmake is my favourite. I just really appreciate the whole concept of being trapped inside of one huge, elaborately designed mansion and trying to find your way out while also solving what happened. I think it's super tightly designed and they do some really cool stuff to keep you on edge.

I love the whole idea of playing on the comfort level you build up from constantly traversing the same areas and turn that against you by throwing in the crimson heads and later the hunters. I don't think any game has managed to scare the living piss out of me as much as REmake when
you have to go into Lisa's cabin in the woods

VARIA

Between the originals, RE2 without a doubt. The varied locales, weapons, expanded lore and music far outshine the original. It's an ambitious sequel that doesn't fail to deliver on every front.

Now between REmake and RE2? It's a bit more difficult, and perhaps unfair? I mean the look of REmake is just gorgeous and adds tremendously to the atmosphere, which I would argue is a large part of the game, but if I had to chose I would say RE2 again. There's just so much content crammed into that game. It's also the reason I didn't care for RE3, RE2 already had a Nemesis stalking segment which RE3 just turned into a full game. And man, Hunk ' s 4th survivor, was also a really cool touch, definitely RE2.

impact

Banned
RE2 for the characters I think. Everything about both of them is fantastic, but I just prefer Leon/Claire to Chris/Jill :x

Two best in the series though. RE4 doesn't even come close.

Kuraudo

Banned
I think they're both masterpieces, but each for very different reasons.

I prefer Resident Evil's structure a bit more than the sequel's. The single location provides a very satisfying sense of progression as you keep returning to central mansion, with more and more areas unlocked. RE2 has this with the police station, but the areas leading upto and following are more like the standard videogame progression of moving from one location to the next.

The story and partner zapping are a huge plus for RE2, though. There's something very satisfying of the little lnks between doing something in the A scenario and realising the impact of it on the B scenario.

I also really like how RE3 dispenses with the central area altogether and expands upon Mr X with Nemesis, although the split-second choices aren't quite as compelling in replays as the A and B scenarios are in RE2.

Bl@de

Neither. Resident Evil: Director's Cut tops them both for me. The smaller mansion and less weapons/enemies give it a more realisitc feel. It's really hard to explain. Objectively REmake is the best but REDC gives me the most "feels". RE2 is behind both of them.

REmake.
Though REmake is a great upgrade to the original, it still comes down to RE1>RE2.
For me its the characters, setting and story, RE2 I just didn't enjoy much and its actually pretty low on my list(especially liked 3 more than 2).

I'd go so far as to say RE1/REmake is the definitive piece of zombie media for me.
(You say zombies, S.T.A.R.S. and the mansion are my first thought.)

monome

RE2 is the best sequel I have ever played.

I remember the feeling of having to Say it was great while I was playing...

Bl@de

I am considering DC the original, just because there are so many iterations. How was PAL different?

NTSC dualshock edition: Crappy new soundtrack
PAL versions: Glorious original soundtrack

I'm on mobile but you can look up youtube for track comparisons. The dual shock edition soundtrack is a joke by some weird imposer

Here is an article on it:
http://www.pixelitis.net/features/looking-back-at-the-dual-soundtracks-resident-evil

In my opinion the original Resident Evil soundtrack is the best in the series

dlauv

The four campaigns really set the game off.

The
tyrant
revealing himself to Mozart was nuts.

Stuff still elicits an emotional response, like
Leon holding Ada
while electricity flies everywhere. Not emotional like "I'm into the scene," but a kind of "this is beautiful" sort of reaction. It's like they really tried to make the most epic game they could using PSX hardware, and it's just really respectable. The gameplay also had a kind of arcadey feel that I enjoyed; it's a feel that REmake doesn't have, because REmake was preoccupied with more realistic animation. I love the amount of guns and the amount of upgradable guns.

REmake has the best atmosphere for sure, and it's the quintessential entry by far. Just not the best game for me. I'd say 3 is the scariest too.

I first played 2 in 2011-12, and REmake in 07.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Neither. I prefer Biohazard 3.

-Jill.
-In Raccoon City.
-With an enemy that is relentlessly pursuing her.

Outbreak is the only other two to attempt to explore the Raccoon City incident inside... the city.

Bio6 did another "urban outbreak" with
China and USA/Twin Oaks
but that fell flat since it was only like 4 chapters out of 30?. Such a small part. I really wish Capcom would do another Outbreak and explore Raccoon City more.

UrbanRats

So, yeah RE2 was one of my favorite games as a kid, it blew me away at the time (mostly due to the graphics and cinematic feel of it all).

However replaying all the mainline RE recently, i was really surprised by how much i enjoyed REmake (my favorite Resident Evil along with 4, which is a different beast, though) and how incredibly dull and boring i found RE2.
The story didn't make much sense to me, and it really felt like an action game wanna be, going against what Resident Evil was really about, with its very slow and methodical gameplay.
The two scenarios thing was great, but that's about the only thing i really loved about it.

Kamiya should've just done Devil May Cry then, though i guess it wouldn't have been possible on PS1.
Personally i really don't think the classic RE gameplay, and RE2 tone and setting, matched at all.

On the other hand, my memory was to harsh on RE3, that game does some really interesting things.

Dino Crisis 1, REmake and Silent Hill, are for me the trinity of that genre.

Rflagg

Some spoilers for both

RE1/Remake

I prefer the pacing, combat, atmosphere, and that re1/Remake just plain felt more scary too me.
I liked the varied boss battles more the big snake, the plant, the shark, and tryant all are very memorable
It sounds silly maybe, but I just thought the T virus was more believable/better then the G virus

RE2
I love that the monster follows you through the second part? or maybe it was the second play through.
The mechanic where what you did or did not do in the first play through effected the second play through with the other protag and the part that you needed both protags to have done something to open/complete
Getting Hunk and tofu to be able to play through was an awesome way to add replay vaule.

Thrakier

Resident Evil 2. Remake is a classic, but 2 is where it's at. It has more variety, better gameplay, better story and pacing, a better story, better action. It's a bit less spooky though, if that's your thing. Still horror though.

I think REmake is a much, much stronger horror game. Crimson Heads are one of the best ideas ever implemented in a survival horror title and that the idea has STILL not been reused by anyone is pretty surprising to me. And RE2 is definitely a lot closer to an action game, you're very well outfitted to deal with most encounters and ammo is plentiful. It doesn't help that the default difficulty is pretty weak and the only versions of the game that have a suitable hard mode are the Dreamcast and Japanese PC versions.

I prefer REmake but I do appreciate how fast the gameplay of the PS1 Resident Evil games are, the controls are very responsive and snappy as opposed to REmake and 0 where everything you do has a slight delay and sluggishness to it. That said I think I might actually like RE3 over both of them. It's a bit more challenging (though still lacking a true hard mode) and has really fun level design and gameplay overall.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
RE2 hands down, it was like 4 games in one, or two games and two variants. Really surprised that Capcpom haven't remade that as well as I believe it would stand up today. Hopefully this RE:remake sells well and Capcom consider it, it they still have access to all the assets.

I prefer Resident Evil 2, athough I think REmake is honestly just as amazing.

RE2 just hits the right cords for me in terms of story and setting. Seeing a city overtaken by zombies had a bigger impact on me than a fancy mansion. It was just easier to relate to. I've never lived in a mansion, but I've lived in a city my whole life. And the characters were easier to relate to, too. Claire was just a civilian, not a combat-ready person, and Leon was just a rookie on his first day on the job. Chris and Jill in contrast were both badass STARS members with past combat experience. It was easier to place myself in Claire and Leon's shoes for that reason.

REmake is the best Resident Evil game. RE2 is, like, the fourth best.

The remake had a better setting. Better music. More difficult. Was longer. Had actual puzzles. It was the game that introduced me to the series, so it set my expectations for the other games. I was so confused when I got around to 2 and wondered what the hell happened to the puzzles. I was expecting a slow-paced adventure game with zombies, and that's not what 2 gave me.

REmake is more complex in level design, actual puzzles and survival mechanics. It also is actually scary, not least due to an absolutely sick art direction.
RE2 is lots of fun, because of its pacing and level design, even on ,,ng+'', which is obviously handled better in RE2 also, but it's a little too easy (especially concerning puzzles) and not as tight in atmosphere. Still the second best game of the series though. Also, it has key/door colours noted on the map, so at least that's better than REmake.

Oh man, I really don't know if I can choose. They're both so damn good. Overall I'd have to say that RE2 is more fun to play due to its snappy movement speed and more action oriented focus, but REmake is the tighter designed horror game that is supremely stressful and slow paced thanks to the crimson heads and added item management.

I'll break it by which game bests the other in each category.

Music: RE 2> REmake. Both have great music, but REmake has more silence and favors a more atmospheric style, whereas RE2 just has memorable track after memorable track.

Boss fights: RE 2>REmake. REmakes are just too easy. RE2 felt a lot more intense in the boss encounters, and there were more traditional boss fights as opposed to some of the 'puzzle' boss fights in REmake.

Puzzles: REmake>RE2. RE2 has by far the worst puzzles in the series. They are hardly even puzzles. REmake had some pretty clever, although not too difficult puzzles, and I liked the 3D item manipulation in the menus which led to some cool discoveries. RE3 still has the best puzzles in the series though.

Atmosphere: REmake>RE2. I love the police station, but punch for punch REmake's environments are all more forboding and visually arresting (of course aided by the much enhanced graphics).

Level Design: REmake>RE2. Both are great, but REmake featured greater complexity of interlinking environments, and the added obstacles of crimson heads made planning routes through the mansion much more important.

Enemies: REmake>RE2. I like lickers better than hunters, but the addition of crimson heads takes this one for me. Plus the spiders are ickier and the zombies more fearsome.

Weapons: RE2>REmake. REmake has the defense weapons which are a nice touch, but RE2 has more creative weapons like the bowgun (even if it's not great) and the addition of upgradable weapons. Plus, RE2's weapons are just more satisfying to shoot, and the zombies are more fun to kill since they don't take as many hits and you don't have to worry about crimsons.

Scare-factor: REmake>RE2. REmake is designed entirely around making you as tense as possible: crimson heads, zombies breaking down doors, less ammo, the mirror hall, lisa trevor, etc. and its dark, gothic atmosphere lends a wonderful feeling of unease. RE2 has the best individual 'scares' in the series (Mr. X, hands through the boarded window, licker through the two-way mirror), but REmake has a lingering tension that can't be topped.

Controls/Character handling: RE2=REmake. They are both pretty much the same, but each has a distinct advantage and weakpoint. RE2 doesn't have the quick turn, but REmake's movement speed is decidedly more sluggish than in 2.

Replay-ability: RE2=REmake. RE2 has the scenario system which means you have 4 slightly to significantly different playthroughs to go through with two different characters. However, there is only an easy and a normal difficulty to go through. There are also some characters to unlock and a bonus game that I haven't played. REmake on the other hand has two different characters which differentiates playing the game by having different unique abilities (differing amounts of item slots, different key items, amounts of health, and defensive weapons) rather than wildly different scenarios. I prefer 2's scenario structure, but REmake makes up for it by having an unlockable hard difficulty, invisible enemy mode, real survival mode, and unlockable skins and weapons.

Story: RE2=REmake. The stories aren't great in either, but they're entertaining in a cheesy way and some of the notes you find are cool. I like the side characters and cheese factor in 2 better, but REmakes mansion mystery and Lisa Trevor subplot are great.

Pacing: RE2>REmake. I feel like RE2 manages its peaks and valleys a little better, where you start off with a bang in the city and its a mad dash, but then you get to the police station and it slows down a little and offers more exploration. The finale is also better with the amazing labratory escape and final boss push. The scenarios also allow greater mix-ups of pacing changes. REmake is also fantastically paced (it is Mikami after all) but I feel like it's a little more one-note for more of the game due to how much time you spend in the mansion at first. The pace feels much the same at the start of the game (creepy slow exploration through the mansion) as it does several hours later. It makes sense for the game, but 2 just carries you along with a little more urgency and excitement.

King_Moc

Banned
I prefer Resi 2. It brings action-esque elements into the game without compromising the survival horror aspect as much as later games did. I also think it's structured better and has a more appealing visual style (quality of graphics aside) and more variety in it's locations. It also has a few superb extra modes.

I prefer OG RE to REmake (REmake takes itself too seriously, Lisa subplot is laughable, dumbed down mechanics such as autoaim on every difficulty but prototype, the fact that difficulty settings even exist and therefore Chris and Jill's campaign are 98% the same, etc etc),, so the question for me is RE1 or RE2?
And for 14 years, I've been unable to pick. They're both incredible games. But if I absolutely "gun to my head" had to pick, I would lean towards RE2 because of how it upped the ante in every way possible (almost entirely different campaigns, grander scale, etc).

REmake is superior. It does have the advantage of better technology; but the mansion setting is still the most iconic and memorable. It's the classic, stuck in a haunted house scenario. I've played through the HD remake twice since it released in the US, and it still holds up extremely well.

RE2 is still up there though, but it doesn't take the crown anymore.

mekes

I remember the early evening that I picked up RE2, I had the game finished with Leon by 1-2am. Its a fantastic game, but competing for one of my favorite games of all time in the first game (the original, not REmake). I was really upset I'd beaten RE2 so quickly..

The original stands out to me because the mansion setting feels so intimate. When you leave the mansion area you never really feel like you have, yet areas clearly differentiate themselves from one another with different enemies and a different feel. The mansion itself was spooky and you couldn't really tell what it would throw at you, it was the unknown, which is one of the most powerful tools in horror if you actually use it.

RE2 shifted things in a different direction, infected a whole city, introduced us to the scientist who created a virus, humongous underground laboratories underneath the city.. It doesn't touch the first game or 4th on setting in the slightest. Mikami is different class with his choice of settings. Kamiya is a fantastic game creator but he cant touch Mikami on survival horror, he cant even come close imo. I don't actually see him as a survival horror guy at all, more of an action adventure.

Resident Evil 2 managed the two different character playthroughs really well. In every other aspect it's inferior to REmake though. Especially since it focuses more on combat and they didn't even make it tense.
It's not really a contest for me, but on the other hand I played REmake years before RE 2.

Rflagg

I prefer REmake by far. The dark mansion setting, the slower introductory pace which is flipped when the Crimson Heads emerge, and the wonderful character models that barely look dated even now.

RE was always action heavy relative to other horror games, and RE2 solidified that path for the series. I love it dearly, but in an era of games that rely on spamming enemy encounters to a fault, I find it hard to appreciate as much as REmake's more measured approach.

I'd love to see the first three games all have remakes. I hope REmake's re-release was a dry run to gauge interest. RE3 is my favorite choice for a remake, actually. It has wonderful puzzles, and I think it was second only to RE1 in having a handful of issues that needed to be addressed by a second try.

I know it is not as popular, but I would also buy the heck out of a code veronica remake. I only played the x version so not sure how different it is, but I found it to be really underrated and it had a couple of
silent hill type fake out scares which too me makes it more frightening because you never know when that noise is going to be nothing or a crazy monster.

GenericUser

Still RE2. It improves everything RESIDENT EVIL by a large margin and brings on so many new and fresh ideas as well as a really cool scenario. I don't know where to start here. Remake is awesome, it built on a great game that was RE1 and improved so many things. But RE2 was bold and different and it did so many things so much better then RE1 and thats why I love it.

Anung

Un Rama
Its a head/heart thing for me. My head says that REmake is probably the better game in loads of ways. But Resident Evil 2 is my favourite and one of my games of all time.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd say that overall REmake is the better game but I really like RE2 more than it. RE2 was so ahead of its time with the split scenario. RIP Noboru Sugimura, RE hasn't been the same since without you.

RE2 is the better game. It improves everything about RE1.

But this topic isn't about RE1... The remake was actually fullfledged, compared to what publishers call remake nowadays anyway, so playing RE1 won't even give you the slightest impression of the REmake.

Neff

RE2 is better than REmake.

But RE1 is better than RE2.

I base this purely on environment layout and puzzles.

Wireframe

2 will always hold a place in my heart (best music by far IMO). Technically remake is much more impressive and beautiful but I personally prefer the scenario and story of 2.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's tough. I only played RE2 a few years ago whereas I played REmake a long time ago, and I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed RE2 even though its graphics haven't aged as well as REmake. I think REmake has a much better atmosphere: the mansion is a really creepy environment with a brooding gothic flair, whereas the police station feels a lot more sterile and generic. The level design in both games is fantastic, and I think RE2 does a better job of moving players from one location to another and keeping things fresh, whereas REmake is much more content to confine players to one location and have them explore every nook and cranny of it before finally moving them elsewhere.

I think I actually prefer REmake overall. It feels a lot more intimate due to being largely confined to one building, and when you finish the game you feel a sense of relief as you have finally "escaped" from the hellish mansion that you were stuck in. RE2 feels like more of an action adventure as you keep moving from one location to another, and it feels more epic but less personal.

REmake because of how perfect it is. The little improvements to the gameplay such as slower movement, defence items and crimson heads. The map indicating to the player rooms that have items and those that have none is also terrific. The atmosphere is out of this world.

That said, if they ever gave RE2 the REmake treatment, complete with crimson heads and all (including pre-rendered backgrounds; no RE4 bullshit), it could very well surpass REmake.

Resident Evil 2 isn't much more than a more action based take on the original game, but without the fantastic atmosphere and classic horror feel. It's arguably better than the original Resident Evil release, but against REmake? There's no contest. RE2 pales mightily, and I consider it the weakest of the original format.

I've said it before in threads about the original trilogy, but I consider Resident Evil 3 to be the real sequel - it actually did something new and featured actual gameplay innovations to accommodate the faster style instead of merely retreading the established formula with shinier visuals and more explosions.

The concept of the puzzles made a good deal of sense in the Spencer mansion. In a police station and sewer system of a large mid-western town? Comes across as utter nonsense. It doesn't even feel like an attempt was made to really progress from the first game.

The main characters are duds (Leon is a clueless idiot and Claire is a robot whose only real development is deciding to take Sherry under her wing). Ada and Chief Irons are pretty cool, though. The rest of the supporting cast is weak.

The enemies are pretty great (as always, it's kind of hard to screw up zombies... though unfortunately RE4 did that later on), with Lickers being a poor replacement for Hunters. Mr. X isn't very imposing and is too easy to deal with. Again, RE3 did the stalking Tyrant enemy much better with Nemesis. But William Birkin's many G forms are pretty damned cool, and to see him actually evolving throughout the game was exceptionally well done.

The Zapping system sounds cool, until you realize it doesn't really work as advertised and that chronologically, only a couple of items actually are affected by it.

I've honestly always been mystified at the love the game gets. I'd like to believe that it's because most people started the series with it and that by the time the superior RE3 hit, they weren't really receptive to something that only looked like more of the same. But I can't prove it, so meh.

It may seem like I'm being overly harsh, and with regards to how often RE3 gets overlooked to the inferior RE2, I may be. Seriously, I do like the game. But it just wasn't the sequel we should have gotten.

The OST kicks several different kinds of ass, however. Might be the best in the series.

dalin80

Banned
2 is one of the greatest games of all time, perfect atmosphere and infinitely repayable. It has a great mixture of horror, action and cheesy fun making it a playable 80's B-movie.

perfect music as well.

Panzon

I've always enjoyed and admired RE2 just a bit over RE. The characters are memorable and not annoying, the atmosphere is phenomenal and very memorable. Can't go wrong with either game though and I guess it's all personal preference since there's no clear cut winner imo

Nemmy

RE2 for me. It's faster pacing and more action-oriented style of play suit my tastes better. I don't know how many times I replayed it - it was tense and scary the first time around, and after that it was always FUN to come back to.
Now for some reason I never found REmake fun to play. It always annoyed me with the little things, like closing off shortcuts because a doorknob broke, or zombies broke in through the windows (and it's a waste of ammo to kill them now as it's so scarce). Stuff like this was irritating, but not scary or increasing tension - it just made exploration more of a pain.

I can't tell anymore if the mansion is better than the police station or vice versa. REmake's setting definitely makes more sense, while RE2's secret passage to the lab is undeniably silly. It's kinda hard to compare the individual locations as the graphics gap is so huge in REmake's favor.

I definitely prefer RE2's enemies. The Lickers are masterclass and Birkin has to be one of the most memorable recurring boss fights I've ever seen. And even RE3's Nemesis never made me jump in my chair the way Mr. X did when he showed up on that surveillance camera. I always preferred RE2 cast to the STARS team as well - and I think their actions made more sense than the STARS splitting up at every occasion, losing contact with each other and generally acting like a slasher movie cast.

Still, the way REmake improves upon the original RE is something absolutely incredible.

Bumhead

Banned
I think I prefer REmake.

I feel like it's a better structured experience. The more I play REmake, in addition to all the times I've played it and RE1 since 1996, the more I appreciate what an acutely brilliant piece of game design it is.

RE2 is an incredible experience as well, though. That it has four campaigns, that are all different, can be completed in any order and you won't see all of the characters or enemies in the game until you've done all four, is extraordinary.

For me, two of the best games of all time. In both cases, they just don't make games like them anymore. And that's a huge shame.

Over all for me is the REmake.. because of the Mansion which I consider one of the most atmospheric places in gaming, and because of that creepy tense and the strong sense of being isolated and helples... also as a survival horror game it scares me hell more than any other RE game.

But RE2 had the better characters and story and OST is much memorable... also the better weapons of course.

REmake is a "prefection" IMO and one of the few games that deserved 10\10 in my book... but RE2 come pretty close.

I've played through RE2 many times, I've only played through REmake like 3 times. Given that, I believe REmake is a better overall package really. It's the tenser game, and it's definitely more difficult. The Police Station setting in RE2 is an interesting one for sure, and when compared to the original RE1, RE2 improved a lot of gameplay mechanics, it also has better music/sound in my opinion.

That said, REmake has a more haunting atmosphere, tougher puzzles, tougher enemies, and oh boy does it have less ammo and health items. People praise the zapping system in RE2, and I have no idea why. It's very half-assed. I can name only a few things affected from one playthrough to the next that I can remember, only one of them very significant. If anything, the B scenario feels strange in that you do everything over again, finding things your last character found in the same place. You also just get fed so much ammo and health, if you save your supplies throughout the game, you see how you end up with an armory and hospital in your item box. Also here's a small nitpick I noticed on my last playthrough a little while back, Leon and Claire barely talk to each other, and don't seem to give much of a crap about each other. Just something I noticed.

I do wish REmake had a minigame or two though. I love it when the RE games have minigames, EX Battle was really cool. REmake needed at least one. I don't count the invisible enemies mode or anything.

RE2 is a fantastic game I'd play again and probably will, but I just have to say REmake is a tighter package.

Top Bottom