• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X graphics upgrade since E3?

it's not the entire face as much as the eyes that are creepy. Like I said they look upside down on that girl model, on the dude they look sort of just pasted on and lifeless. Like when Jeff Hardy paints eyes over his eye lids
facepaint.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-x_thumbnail.png

They look too big and flat.

Looks like even the main NPC faces are created the same way you will make yours, hence the lack of flexibility (even the alien with horns has the same structure) that ends up as a bit of blandness.Like minor characters in Mass Effect.

The Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV, hell even GTA5 PS4 all looked more impressive when it comes to animation and detail compared to the New LA footage in that newest trailer.

While I do agree as do most, that NLA looks rather bland, the real star of the game are going to be continents to explore; and those to me look extremely impressive graphically due to the scale it is representing.

The Witcher 3's open world examples:

Xenoblade Chronicles X open world examples:

latest

2660564-2648333686-xenox.gif

xenoblade-chronicles-x-blue-shadow.jpg

FFXV open world examples:

Granted both FFXV and Witcher 3 are doing tech that is beyond Xenoblade CX, but the world in Xenoblade looks more appealing to me graphically due to the artistic variety and impressive graphical detail that goes with it, raises it up a level that I am preferring more than the two other games. Just how I see it.

Wait, if you all are doing comparisons, shouldn't X be compared with PS360 games instead? Seems like a fair fight that way. Otherwise, Witcher and FF win hands down, just on lack of jaggies alone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait, if you all are doing comparisons, shouldn't X be compared with PS360 games instead? Seems like a fair fight that way. Otherwise, Witcher and FF win hands down, just on lack of jaggies alone.

idk that seems like overhyping the FFXV and witcher 3 too much, they both have less jaggies but that wouldnt put them ahead of xenoblade X in my mind, X overall still looks more appealing to me as an actual world.

Drac84

I think it's a combination of the eyes being weird, the noses being turned up a bit, and the mouths not quite looking right. Big foreheads isn't helping matters either.

It's so odd, because the rest of the game looks amazing to me, I just don't understand what's gone wrong with the faces. They look absurd.

sfried

I think it's a combination of the eyes being weird, the noses being turned up a bit, and the mouths not quite looking right. Big foreheads isn't helping matters either.

It's so odd, because the rest of the game looks amazing to me, I just don't understand what's gone wrong with the faces. They look absurd.

Somebody was insistent they keep the anime-ish look in 3D. Xenosaga Episode I all over again.

But yeah, thread has been way derailed. Looks like they fixed some of the lower quality textures, and even added/fixed some effects.

Tookay

Oh look, another XCX thread derailed by people obsessed with faces. What's next, someone complaining that this beautiful game is 720p?
If this thread had any comparisons of substance, it likely would have stayed on track.

But it didn't, so the focus changed to something everyone can notice.

It seems a little sharper and perhaps some nice lighting and special effects improvements, or tweaking of the colors/lighting.

I don't think the faces are really that terrible. They're not great, but I think some of the criticism is hyperbolic.

Agreed, also some of them are pretty good and the one people are harping on is probably the weakest. Some of them look quite good.

I quite like these two for example, as rhandino posted:

I like this one. The only thing off to me in this shot for it be more natural is tweaking the edges of mouth since it seems a tiny bit off to me for some reason (and seems fine in the character model shot above), but I don't remember noticing it in video. The face is fine, the hair is good and that pilot suit and the straps look pretty great to me.

Goli

While I do agree as do most, that NLA looks rather bland, the real star of the game are going to be continents to explore; and those to me look extremely impressive graphically due to the scale it is representing.

latest

Granted both FFXV and Witcher 3 are doing tech that is beyond Xenoblade CX, but the world in Xenoblade looks more appealing to me graphically due to the artistic variety and impressive graphical detail that goes with it, raises it up a level that I am preferring more than the two other games. Just how I see it.
They've already shown a bit of seemingly all main areas for XCX, but not for The Witcher 3 or FFXV, so of course there's gonna be more variety.

idk that seems like overhyping the FFXV and witcher 3 too much, they both have less jaggies but that wouldnt put them ahead of xenoblade X in my mind, X overall still looks more appealing to me as an actual world.

Hmm in terms of aesthetic theme, I would agree with you. Then again, we haven't seen very much of FFXV's world to make that call. Definitely on Witcher though. But on a technical level, the two still blow X away (which they should, of course)

latest

And that artistic styling will probably let it age a lot better than the other 2 as well, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

Also to echo, the faces have bothered me since E3, but I remember the face of what looked like a cat person at the end of the trailer looked pretty good.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You Will Know Our Faces

I'm feeling that this one is it, really.

TrounceX

Did the original Xenoblades faces actually dampen anyone's enjoyment of the game?

You see, I feel like this would be a relative non-issue if this game wasn't attracting a new crowd of people who are just here because of the hype surrounding the original Xenoblade. This game was never meant for the mass appeal that it seems to be getting. It's a JRPG for the Wii U with anime aesthetics for gods sake. If this isn't your cup of tea then so be it. Settle down already!

foxuzamaki

Did the original Xenoblades faces actually dampen anyone's enjoyment of the game?

You see, I feel like this would be a relative non-issue if this game wasn't attracting a new crowd of people who are just here because of the hype surrounding the original Xenoblade. This game was never meant for the mass appeal that it seems to be getting. It's a JRPG for the Wii U with anime aesthetics for gods sake. If this isn't your cup of tea then so be it. Settle down already!

People def werent inlove with XB's faces but I dont remember anywhere near the amount of complaining from that, and it certainly didnt turn people off the game.

JoJoSono

Banned

For gods sakes??.....There's plenty of anime jrpgs and wii u games with non crappy character modeling and good character design. Not really an excuse.

Problem is this time the faces are made from a character creator, there has not been an actual good character creator for faces yet in gaming as far as I'm concerned, one that has actual options that is. Wish at least a majority of the NPC's were completely from scratch though. Main character in the trailers has all the same jank as his companions and side characters.

Just comes with the territory I guess.

Gestahl

People def werent inlove with XB's faces but I dont remember anywhere near the amount of complaining from that, and it certainly didnt turn people off the game.

XB's faces only real problem was that they were handicapped by the Wii and made very low res'd and textured as a result; otherwise they were surprisingly expressive and at the very least fit in with the rest of the art style and scope of the game's graphics. There's really no comparison between them and this crap that reminds me of all the potato head monsters that crawled out of garbage like Mass Effect's character generating system

rhandino

Banned
They've already shown a bit of seemingly all main areas for XCX, but not for The Witcher 3 or FFXV, so of course there's gonna be more variety.
I guess that what he is saying is that the areas of Xenoblade X even when there are only like 5 (for now) are more varied in the geography and landmarks, meanwhile I can't really say the same thing about TW3 and FFXV since those areas showed appear to have more grounded landmasses without crazy things like the Light Night Forest and the incredible huge branchs that form a massive bridge. I realy hope some of the areas of FF XV are more fantasy inspired doe, I am going to buy a PS4 only for it =P

----

I am very happy, this year is truly the year of the JRPG with Xenoblade and Persona 5 for me. I know that the faces are not so good (I found them fine, except Lyn) but damn if the environments, monsters and Dolls don't look good in contrast, also I found really exciting the idea of how the city, the mindset and conversations of the people change according to how much of the planet you are exploring...

anaron

I'm sorry but anyone preferring XB's characters over X's just has goddamn horrible taste.

The reaching and revisionism

I can't

foxuzamaki

XB's faces only real problem was that they were handicapped by the Wii and made very low res'd and textured as a result; otherwise they were surprisingly expressive and at the very least fit in with the rest of the art style and scope of the game's graphics. There's really no comparison between them and this crap that reminds me of all the potato head monsters that crawled out of garbage like Mass Effect's character generating system

...So this seems like hyperbole

The thing is, JRPGs are long games. If a given JRPG looks, plays or sounds ugly, people might have a problem having to listen to/look at it for extended hours. Looking at these ugly faces for 100+ hours won't be my favorite thing, but hopefully it'll be alright.
Provided I can force myself to finish Xenoblade itself before this game releases

That said, there are plenty of JRPGs with "anime aesthetics" that look way, way, way better in terms of the design. That's not a good excuse.

batbeg

The thing is, JRPGs are long games. If a given JRPG looks, plays or sounds ugly, people might have a problem having to listen to/look at it for extended hours. Looking at these ugly faces for 100+ hours won't be my favorite thing, but hopefully it'll be alright.
Provided I can force myself to finish Xenoblade itself before this game releases

That said, there are plenty of JRPGs with "anime aesthetics" that look way, way, way better in terms of the design. That's not a good excuse.

To be fair though there's no chance in hell you'll be looking at the faces for 100 hours. Probably more like 5-10. The rest of the time you'll be looking at the awesome landscapes creatures aliens and mechs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, but they're interconnected, but separate regions. Is scale the only thing that separates open world games from non-open world games now (Seriously, I don't know what the distinction comes from)? Because, it's basically in the style of the 3D Zeldas and Metroid Prime games, just with much larger regions (and no one would call them open world)
Actually if I recall correctly everything inside the two huge regions is seamless. And each map is bigger than skyrim.

latest

From Witcher 3 we've seen multiple towns and villages, swamp areas, forests, sailing around the ocean, snowy mountains, and caverns, on top of the screenshots you've posted

From FFXV we've seen multiple towns, snowy areas, caverns, and an example of a forest.

Why ignore those and use two examples from similar areas of the game?

Actually if I recall correctly everything inside the two huge regions is seamless.

From Witcher 3 we've seen multiple towns and villages, swamp areas, forests, sailing around the ocean, snowy mountains, and caverns, on top of the screenshots you've posted

From FFXV we've seen multiple towns, snowy areas, caverns, and an example of a forest.

Comparing gifs is pointless watch the game play videos of all three games, x doesn't even look better then gtav or red dead on 360. Seriously the game looks really bad graphically, shadows, lighting, detail, models and textures are all lacking the city detail and models are laughably bad.

Actually if I recall correctly everything inside the two huge regions is seamless. And each map is bigger than skyrim.

FFXV look open world kinda, witcher 3 tho looking open world like DA:I like you go to a place cant really travel between the areas.

HMD

A good 3D anime look is obviously found in Kingdom Hearts, the game has superb cutscene models. Doll eyes just don't translate very well to 3D. And if you wanna tell me about how Square has massive budgets, i'll tell you to look at DDD and BBS, Square has quality animators with actual good taste.

anaron

Maybe I missed it in those videos, but what i'm talking about it is that some games give you a slider after you select the presets to change the width of the nose, the placement of the eyes etc. In those videos it just seems like you select from a bunch of preset faces, eyes etc. and have no sliders to really modify the appearance.

There's a set of Pre-set Tanaka designs but afaik, there's a very in depth creation tool for your own original character

The juxtaposition between this thread where the OP and some fans are claiming to see a jump in graphical fidelity with the one where Nintendo fans claim that the 3DS version looks "Really close" is interesting. To me, the 3DS version looks much, much worse. I'm not a guy who usually notices or cares about subtle differences, but those screens were very noticeable. This however? If there is an improvement I can't say for sure. Maybe the brightness is different?

I know it's not a possibility for most people, but watching this presentation on the JP eShop vs. the other videos of the game on the eShop I've watched in the past; I think it's been improved. Certainly, significantly over E3 2013 and somewhat over last year's.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Top Bottom