• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people buying their consoles? Nielsen survey results.

Hanmik

I tried to search but didn´t find anything .. so lock if old.

Nielsen.com made some surveys, and posted some results here..

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...on-gamers-have-previously-owned-consoles.html

It shows that 9 in 10 8th. generation console buyers have owned a seventh gen console.
esaAE8j.png

and here are the reasons why people are buying the consoles..
Yq1oi6G.png

so top reason for PS4 is Better resolution (lol who would have thought that?) and top reason for Xbox One is Brand... and Nintendo WiiU is Fun Factor..

what do you guys think about this study..?

shira

Like many others I didn't buy an 8th gen console, there are going to be some serious gaps in this survey.

Alx

It's a bit sad to see fun factor so low, except for the WiiU. But then I would admit that for Xbox One I would have put it second to "Innovative Features".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Makes sense. There is a sect of people who bought Xbox last gen are predisposed to Xbox brand now. Its all they know really.

Tntnico

Funny to see "Blu-Ray Player" in second position for PS4.

I think MS has work to do on this item : I have a friend who, as a Xbox 360 owner, wanted to buy a PS4 over Xbox One because "PS4 has a blu-ray player"

Kadin

It's been a while since I looked into Nielsen but how do their surveys work? With TV shows and such, don't they poll a specific audience that is setup with their equipment and then based on these stats, they blow it up as though it was everyone? Like how many people watched the Super Bowl, etc.?

I assume the same is being done here?

SPCTRE

Funny to see "Blu-Ray Player" in second position for PS4.

I think MS has work to do on this item : I have a friend who, as a Xbox 360 owner, wanted to buy a PS4 over Xbox One because "PS4 has a blu-ray player"
Yeah, that part seems kinda ridiculous.

I agree with archnemesis on the methodology, surveys that don't reveal their MO don't exactly inspire my confidence in their findings.

danowat

Banned
A lot of converts to the PS4 from Xbox and Wii.

Not sure the xbox one will ever recover from the PR shitstorm prior to it's release.

There are also a heck of a lot of misguided people who automatically think that the more powerful console that delivers more P's and more FPS's gives them better games.

Converse

Banned
Interesting stuff. And I have to admit, I had a laugh at the contrast between "Better Resolution" and "Fun Factor."

GHG

Gold Member
Not sure the xbox one will ever recover from the PR shitstorm prior to it's release.

There are also a heck of a lot of misguided people who automatically think that the more powerful console that delivers more P's and more FPS's gives them better games.

More P's and FPS's certainly improve your gaming experience if you are looking to play mostly multiplats.

I don't see how that can be argued against at this point.

Factor in the fact that thebPS4's price has also been lower for the majority of the time and it becomes an was decision for most buyers.

danowat

Banned
More P's and FPS's certainly improve your gaming experience if you are looking to play mostly multiplats.

I don't see how that can be argued against at this point.

The difference in many multiplatform titles isn't very big (currently, that may change), certainly not big enough to diminish the experience on the less powerful console.

I have both the PS4 and xbox one, and played a few multiplat titles, I can barely tell the difference switching between the two.

Seanspeed

Banned
If I want to be a shit and generalize, I'd say:

- PS4 owners just care about graphics

- XB1 owners are blind loyalists

- Wii U owners care about fun games

danowat

Banned
If I want to be a shit and generalize, I'd say:

- PS4 owners just care about graphics

- XB1 owners are blind loyalists

- Wii U owners care about fun games

Shit or not, that's about the size of it.

However, coming from the xbox being my lead console, I would also say that "blind loyalty" would also fall under the umbrella of people sticking with the brand for continuity of their online presence (gamerscore, friends etc), and their controller preference.

The most important non-technical factor for PS4 is Game Library... I wish Sony would take note. Game Library should be the #1 for all three consoles.

I am surprised brand matters so much to the Xbox One owners surveyed. Then again Xbox was the go to console in America last gen in terms of numbers and mult-platform titles. Though for that to be the most cited reason is weird.

Also surprised that backwards-compatibility ranked for Wii U. I appreciate it a ton personally but I didn't think most people would.

Also exclusive games is my obvious number one and probably the big Wii U difference. Weird to see it low.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wait? what? i'm sure most of the US gaming press told us consumers no-one cares about performance and resolution!
Everybody likes bigger numbers and being able to say "Mine is better". I think things like resolution and performance, when you take away the buzzword hype and media attention, the average gamer probably doesn't care about these things very much. I very much doubt anything but a small percentage of gamers could identify a sub 1080p image in a double blind study.

GHG

Gold Member
The difference in many multiplatform titles isn't very big (currently, that may change), certainly not big enough to diminish the experience on the less powerful console.

I have both the PS4 and xbox one, and played a few multiplat titles, I can barely tell the difference switching between the two.

The difference is there. Just because it is not discernable to you it doesn't mean it wont be to others. There are lots of factors at play there such as your TV, your TV specs and settings, how far you sit from your TV, how good your eyes are, etc, etc.

Regardless, this is about buying decisions, not just resolution.

If you are a COD or FIFA/Madden casual gamer and are looking to buy a new console this is how it looked for much of the last 12 months if you were to do a "spreadsheet" comparison:

- better resolution/fps
- no DRM shitstorm

And most importantly...

- Cheaper than the alternative console

Converse

Banned
Also, am I just old as fuck or are people in this thread really doubting the veracity of a survey conducted by the Nielsen Company?

Atram

Also, am I just old as fuck or are people in this thread really doubting the veracity of a survey conducted by the Nielsen Company?

good question A.C. Nielsen is the biggest Marketing research Institute WW, but i think most people don´t know that.

They surveys are well made

Percy

Banned
Had a feeling the primary reason for people buying XB1's was brand loyalty (I know this was a big factor for my initial "forgiving" of the shitty original concept they tried to put out there.), but the PS4 resolution being a selling point is interesting, given how often so many like to assert the meaninglessness of games running at full HD to the general public. Guess that's not the case after all.

Regardless, Wii U buyers are the only ones with the right idea it seems.

so basically the common person has no real clue about why they buy a 300+ dollar machine. Wii u is the only one people seem to buy for legit reasons as it's legit more kid friendly.

Everybody likes bigger numbers and being able to say "Mine is better". I think things like resolution and performance, when you take away the buzzword hype and media attention, the average gamer probably doesn't care about these things very much. I very much doubt anything but a small percentage of gamers could identify a sub 1080p image in a double blind study.
720p-1080p is fairly easy to differentiate. 900-1080 I would fully agree with you.

well it does though when 99% of the games are the same on both platforms, and ps4 has the better exclusvies imo.

DryvBy

I always have a hard time taking these types of statistics with anything other than a grain of salt, even if I agree with them. But I find it hard to believe that people spent $400 for a "(2) Blu-Ray Player" when they bought a PS4.

danowat

Banned
and ps4 has the better exclusvies imo.

That's subjective, but I disagree.

I would imagine a "playstation guy" would say the playstation has better exclusives, and an "xbox guy" would say the opposite.

I have both, and, apart from indie games, find it tough to find decent PS4 exclusives I actually want to play, MotoGP14 is my current one!!!!

danowat

Banned
So people buy Xbox One for the brand? Great.

Brand is very important, just look at Apple............

(but you've also got to remember that brand loyality would also fall under the umbrella of people sticking with the brand for continuity of their online presence (gamerscore, friends etc), and their controller preference.)

kurahador

I would imagine a "playstation guy" would say the playstation has better exclusives, and an "xbox guy" would say the opposite.

I have both, and, apart from indie games, find it tough to find decent PS4 exclusives I actually want to play, MotoGP14 is my current one!!!!

It's more like Playstation has quality exclusives goodwill thanks to PS3.

FluxWaveZ

I started out with a 360 (after a year with my Wii) last generation, and I couldn't afford a PS3 until ~2-3 years later. I had so much more fun with the PS3 exclusives, when I eventually got one, than what I ever had with the 360 ones, which was a huge part of the reason I immediately went for a PS4 this time around. The Xbox brand, with the negative experience I had with my 360, actually became a turn off rather than a selling point.

Turns out, only one of the two consoles has Persona 5, too.

oni-link

The most important non-technical factor for PS4 is Game Library... I wish Sony would take note. Game Library should be the #1 for all three consoles.

A lot of people care more about playing online with friends than the game library

I have a friend who just plays CoD/FIFA and whatever his friends buy, he'd rather play 3 average games with friends all year than play 10 amazing games

Not that there is anything wrong with that, fun is fun after all, but I think a lot of modern console gamers do this

Corpekata

Banned
I think people harrumphing about "Only NIntendo has fun factor up high" sorts of things are sort of divorcing a lot of context from the results. When we're talking about why to pick something and say, PS4 and Xbox both have a lot of the same games, people are going to respond with the reason that makes them a bit more distinct. I'm sure plenty of people are getting PS4s for the fun games.

So people buy Xbox One for the brand? Great.

I think it means they trust Microsoft to support the console.

Brand loyalty always sounds stupid, but there's a reason it exists. People like the good communication, the reputation for fixing things, regular updates, and the exclusives. It stands for a lot of things.

AHA-Lambda

XB1 has faster processing power? Is this true? I thought PS4 trumped it?

Edit: just noticed this reason is in both, does it mean over 7th gen, cos no shit.

Top Bottom