• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people buying their consoles? Nielsen survey results.

4Tran

It also seems like a lot of PS4 purchasers are more likely to have owned a Wii than they are to have owned a PS3 or Xbox 360. These numbers perhaps imply that a lot of people who originally got into gaming with the Wii chose to upgrade to a PS4 rather than a Wii U. A lot of casual/low-investment videogame players decided to "upsell" to the PS4. Perhaps that is where a lot of the really strong PS4 sales have come from.

I suppose the Wii boom was really successful at recruiting new customers, but failed to instill brand loyalty into them. This might have been compounded by an increased investment from these new customers. As they transitioned from being low-investment customers to higher-investment customers, maybe they drifted away from the lower costing console?

This is just wild speculation though.
That makes too many speculative based on the evidence. However it does show that a lot of PS4 buyers are new customers who bought into Sony's messaging. The data also hints at the future when the console prices drop and the customer makeup changes.

How are you determining that? =/
91% total 7th Gen owners - 66% PS3 owners = 25% non-PS3 owners. In comparison, the numbers are 12% for Xbone and 7% for Wii U. Even more telling, 34% of PS4 owners didn't have a PS3 compared to 24% for Xbone and 14% for Wii U. These are fantastic numbers for Sony, but much less so for their competitors. For me, this is by far the most interesting data from the survey.

91% total 7th Gen owners - 66% PS3 owners = 25% non-PS3 owners. In comparison, the numbers are 12% for Xbone and 7% for Wii U. Even more telling, 34% of PS4 owners didn't have a PS3 compared to 24% for Xbone and 14% for Wii U. These are fantastic numbers for Sony, but much less so for their competitors. For me, this is by far the most interesting data from the survey.
Ohhhhh. Thanks! <3

Yeah, Sony seem to be doing a good job of poaching users this generation. I'm kind of surprised that so many new owners seemed to go Bone, or at least, a comparatively large fraction of Bone owners hadn't previously owned a console. Similarly, I'm surprised that so many Wii owners went Bone, but looking at the PS4 and WiiU numbers, it seems like it's mostly a matter of "everyone" having owned a Wii.

So since ~10% of all Gen8 owners never had a Gen7 console at all, wouldn't that seem to indicate fairly healthy growth in the console market? At least, a lot of new users are coming in; I guess we don't really know how many users have been lost in comparison.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sony made a big mistake by not having a PS4 Talladega Nights bundle. I didn't know Bluray movies were still so important to that base.

I just buy consoles 'cause I want to play games. The more games I'm interested in, the sooner I buy one.

I own all previous gen consoles (and all of the major consoles for every gen before that, besides the very first gen), and so far, I've bought a Wii U and Xbox One for the current gen, since they had more games I wanted to play. I plan to eventually get a PlayStation 4, too, though that might a few years away, depending on what future announcements are made.

synce

Wow, the top 2 reasons for PS4 purchases... I guess that's why we're getting sub-30fps games standard.

4Tran

Yeah, Sony seem to be doing a good job of poaching users this generation. I'm kind of surprised that so many new owners seemed to go Bone, or at least, a comparatively large fraction of Bone owners hadn't previously owned a console. Similarly, I'm surprised that so many Wii owners went Bone, but looking at the PS4 and WiiU numbers, it seems like it's mostly a matter of "everyone" having owned a Wii.
These numbers are for the U.S. where PS4 and Xbone sales are pretty close. Outside of that region, the Xbone is far less popular.

So since ~10% of all Gen8 owners never had a Gen7 console at all, wouldn't that seem to indicate fairly healthy growth in the console market? At least, a lot of new users are coming in; I guess we don't really know how many users have been lost in comparison.
Only if all Gen 7 owners get converted to Gen 8. So far, the PS4 is expected to see significant growth in all non-Japanese regions while the Xbone will see steep losses everywhere. We're still in the early adopter / hardcore gamer phase though, and most of the numbers are made up of more casual gamers. We should have a good idea by the end of 2016 though.

Buying something because of the brand is perfectly fine. A brand helps to minimise risk in a buyer's decision. Everyone buys a console for entertainment purposes anyway.

Some people won't buy something because of brand as well. A lot of people don't like "Microsoft" and it has nothing to do with their game consoles.

Kayant

Thanks to benny_a for the heads up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-resolution-really-matter

Pike tells us that data for the report was collected using "Nielsen's proprietary, high-quality online panel in the United States". Two waves of data were collected, the first between November 7th and November 12th, 2014. The second came a couple of months later, from January 22nd to January 27th, 2015. In terms of the demographic make-up of each sample, wave one consisted of around 2,000 teens and adults aged over 13, along with 400 kids aged between six and 12. The second wave consisted of a further 2,000 teens/adults aged over 13.

"Post-survey, raw data was weighted to ensure representation of the US general population based on current US census data," Pike added.

Nielson obviously knows what it's doing when it comes to its polling, but we were curious about how those surveyed chose their responses. It turns out that the pollsters put together a list of 30 reasons to choose from (of which "better resolution" was just one) and the following question was asked separately for each system they owned:

"You indicated that your household owns the following video game system(s). What are the main reasons for owning the following video game systems(s)? You can select as many or as few that you feel apply to each statement."

These numbers are for the U.S. where PS4 and Xbone sales are pretty close. Outside of that region, the Xbone is far less popular.
Well, yeah, but I was just talking about the fraction of users within the sample who were new to consoles.

Only if all Gen 7 owners get converted to Gen 8. So far, the PS4 is expected to see significant growth in all non-Japanese regions while the Xbone will see steep losses everywhere. We're still in the early adopter / hardcore gamer phase though, and most of the numbers are made up of more casual gamers. We should have a good idea by the end of 2016 though.
Yeah, I guess it's too early to say for sure. I was just surprised that even in the early adopter phase, there seemed to be a significant number of people jumping in to the market. I would've guessed that nearly all early adopters would be the "hardcore," who were already invested in the market. /shrug

Top Bottom