• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people buying their consoles? Nielsen survey results.

spekkeh

Banned
The most interesting, or stressful, thing I get out of it is that we're not mainstream but becoming a niche again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not sure the xbox one will ever recover from the PR shitstorm prior to it's release.

There are also a heck of a lot of misguided people who automatically think that the more powerful console that delivers more P's and more FPS's gives them better games.

It's the fastest selling Xbox yet. Outside of forums like this, who really even thinks about it any more?

Occam

MS crapping the bed prior to launch kinda helped sony the most IMO.
ps4s marketing was basically "see those guys, well we aren't them and we have better graphics for less money."

What helped most was that PS4 was cheaper at first, and more powerful. If "prior to launch" also includes the second half of 360's tenure when they stopped funding diverse core titles like they did when 360 was new and instead got a severe case of sequelitis (in conjunction with decreasing quality), then I'll agree. Microsoft totally dropped the ball after launching Kinect. Sony on the other hand never stopped to supporting PS3 with the kind of games the fanbase wanted. That is an image you can't just buy with a couple of money hats.

The study makes it impossible to discern what percentage of console buyers who never owned a console previously went for which console and for that reason I hate it.

That is prime example of terrible surveying right there.

And this was done by Nielsen.. Shameful.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's the fastest selling Xbox yet. Outside of forums like this, who really even thinks about it any more?
You don't need to actively think about it to have had it subconsciously affect your opinion of it.

But you're right. XB1 is only 'struggling' relative to the PS4. I do think the whole debacle had a big effect, but its doing well enough to not be considered a disaster or a failure or something.

Seanspeed

Banned
The study makes it impossible to discern what percentage of console buyers who never owned a console previously went for which console and for that reason I hate it.

That is prime example of terrible surveying right there.

And this was done by Nielsen.. Shameful.
I'm sure the survey was done well, but taking any meaningful conclusions from it does seem a bit useless.

Falk

that puzzling face
Would have figured exclusives would rank higher for Wii U considering its strong first-party lineup.

Interesting results.

Interesting, so according to this survey, the buyers do know about the resolution difference/power gap.

Actually, every buyer seems to think their console is technically more advanced, as evidenced by the clueless Xbone owners. Marketing lesson here is, if you actually fool the consumer into buying your shit somehow, they will be inclined to be misled into thinking they own the superior product. No one wants to think they made a bad consumer choice.

Shit or not, that's about the size of it.

However, coming from the xbox being my lead console, I would also say that "blind loyalty" would also fall under the umbrella of people sticking with the brand for continuity of their online presence (gamerscore, friends etc), and their controller preference.

I don't know that controller preference could be counted as blind loyalty. It's a major facet of console gaming. I prefer the 360's controller over both current gen ones, and still breath a sigh of relief every time I go back to a 7th gen game and hold it in my hands.

If they'd just release a dual shock with asymmetrical sticks, I'd find little to complain about with it other than the slightly too-large nubs that you grip, but that is really a pretty significant factor in how a game 'feels' to me. No amount of gaming on my PS4 has changed the awkwardness factor for the symmetrical sticks for me.

This is what I got looking at this survey

People bought these consoles because:

Wii U = fun and family
PS4 = graphics and blu-ray
XB1 = loyalty and features

Will M

Surprising that blu-rays is still a top selling point for PS4. I look at people who buy movies and ask myself, "WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy." So much easier to just stream something and be done forever.

Spineker

Banned
Dat number one reason for buying PS4.

Oh yeah Gaming journalists, the majority of people don't care about resolution...

danowat

Banned
I don't know that controller preference could be counted as blind loyalty. It's a major facet of console gaming. I prefer the 360's controller over both current gen ones, and still breath a sigh of relief every time I go back to a 7th gen game and hold it in my hands.

I was trying to point out that "blind loyalty" is a misleading option, and loyalty (in this case) shouldn't be seen as blind, because it encompasses other mitigating factors.

Seanspeed

Banned
Actually, every buyer seems to think their console is technically more advanced, as evidenced by the clueless Xbone owners. Marketing lesson here is, if you actually fool the consumer into buying your shit somehow, they will be inclined to be misled into thinking they own the superior product. No one wants to think they made a bad consumer choice.
I'm guessing you're confusing the 'faster processing power' to mean faster than PS4, but I'm pretty sure they just mean its next-gen, as in 'faster than last gen'.

Occam

The study seems to show that most Xbone owners are Microsoft fans, given that "brand" is listed as most important factor, and that 76% previously owned an Xbox 360 (=a higher percentage than PS4 owners who had a PS3).
Makes sense; why would an unbiased and informed consumer buy the weaker system, and at a higher price, even if MS hadn't totally botched it with their wet always-online property removal system dreams? Even after Microsoft dropped the price along with Kinect Xbone still remains the weaker system, and people know it. It also doesn't help that unlike Sony Microsoft didn't spend the past decade and a half to build a more respectable stable of first party studios.

Bio

Not gonna lie, Brand is a big reason I'm picking PS4. In the PS1, PS2 and PS3 generations, the playstation always treated me right, and also always ended up having the most exclusive games that I personally wanted to play, I expect that trend to continue.

Seanspeed

Banned
The study seems to show that most Xbone owners are Microsoft fans, given that "brand" is listed as most important factor, and that 76% previously owned an Xbox 360 (=a higher percentage than PS4 owners who had a PS3).
Makes sense; why would an unbiased and informed consumer buy the weaker system, and at a higher price, even if MS hadn't totally botched it with their wet always-online property removal system dreams? Even after Microsoft dropped the price along with Kinect Xbone still remains the weaker system, and people know it. It also doesn't help that unlike Sony Microsoft didn't spend the past decade and a half to build a more respectable stable of first party studios.
Thankfully there are still plenty of clearly unbiased consumers like you..

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Would be interesting but the data is so annoyingly limited. I assume this is North America or US specific questionnaire.

Occam

Thankfully there are still plenty of clearly unbiased consumers like you..

I am not unbiased. Based on several decades of experience with with Microsoft's products and knowledge about their business practices and corporate culture, I consider Microsoft to be a terrible company, and I would love for them to leave the gaming industry. A man can dream.

MilkyJoe

Shit or not, that's about the size of it.

However, coming from the xbox being my lead console, I would also say that "blind loyalty" would also fall under the umbrella of people sticking with the brand for continuity of their online presence (gamerscore, friends etc), and their controller preference.

You said the magic words. After all the rumours about the DRM etc rumours on Xbox One I was fully intending on going PS4, I was convinced they would revisit the thumb-stick placement. Shame really.

But year, controller for me is right at the stop, i'm surprised it's not on the list.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I actually agree with the look of this. A generation won by and large due to a resolution bullet point before launch and continued even now. Microsoft didn't do themselves any favours but the biggest thing I hear from customers is, Ps4 plays more games at 1080p

Surprising that blu-rays is still a top selling point for PS4. I look at people who buy movies and ask myself, "WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy." So much easier to just stream something and be done forever.

Blu-rays still have better image quality (especially for 3D) and audio quality.

Mogwai

I bought my PS4 purely for making fried eggs and heating my living room.

I can't be the only one?
Right, guys? :/

spekkeh

Banned
There's more to gaming than console gaming. It's mainstream.

Yeah, when I said we, I meant the NeoGaf demographic (broad strokes of course) who are not that interested in mobile games, solitaire and farmville. 'We' are the only ones buying into the new systems if we grew up with them.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I actually agree with the look of this. A generation won by and large due to a resolution bullet point before launch and continued even now. Microsoft didn't do themselves any favours but the biggest thing I hear from customers is, Ps4 plays more games at 1080p

I don't think where you're from it actually matters that much - more like Brand Loyalty. Well perhaps in the UK not as much (it usually follows U.S trends) BUT the rest of Europe IS Sony land. More Power being a differentiator suits U.S marketing more. People want to own the best - once it becomes the cool and hip defacto thing, it's hard to dethrone. We all saw the aggressive pricing and marketing it takes to win 2 months.

I think the brand loyalism on the xbox side is actually people used to Xbox Live service that want to continue with the service.

kswiston

I guess this confirms that Wii U is primarily bought by multi-console core gamers. Makes sense given the sales numbers.

impact

Banned
I guess this confirms that Wii U is primarily bought by multi-console core gamers. Makes sense given the sales numbers.

Makes sense given the barren release schedule.

Wii U is a 2-3 games per year machine but damn if those three aren't amazing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"What Family Wants" being on PS4 list and not on Wii U is, imo, a huge problem for Nintendo.

Maybe they should scan that list and see why so many people bought PS4: better resolution. Keep that in mind for their next console.

geordiemp

250,000 household panelists across 25 countries use in-home scanners to record their purchases from each shopping trip
So, the survey uses people that have expressed an interest in being surveyed for their purchasing habits

That is not a statistically unbiased survey, its skewed into a certain type of person who would do this, probably a family person who does not mind having big brother watch over them or gets some benefit to doing it which is worth it for them.

So the results are meaningless.

No different to internet surveys where people are not chosen on some random method, but its who actually wants to fill it in - vocal minority tends to come through 100 x louder lol.

Anyone who reads anything into this do not understand statistics and proper representative sample sizes. I guess Dem pixels or dat fun is a fun driveby but its still silly.

Top Bottom