• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at Activision, shuts down Minneapolis office (licensed games business)

Hoje0308

Banned
This morning, we were tipped off that there were some staffing changes hitting Activision. While the publisher isn’t being specific about offices impacted, we have reason to believe that the Minneapolis, Minnesota location has been affected.

“As announced on our earnings call, our games for core audiences did extremely well, but the casual audience has not yet emerged on next gen consoles,” an Activision spokesperson told us. “So we are refocusing to better align with Activision’s long-term priorities because, as always, our strategy evolves to keep us ahead of a rapidly-changing industry. We are working with those impacted by the changes to offer outplacement services and support.”

The company also confirmed that its music game would strictly be service-based this year, and no new boxed title would be arriving in 2016.

Source

It's not a rumor. The source (That's us... I'm Mike Futter from Game Informer) has a statement from Activision in the story you linked. :)

Hoje0308

Banned
It's not a rumor. The source (That's us... I'm Mike Futter from Game Informer) has a statement from Activision in the story you linked. :)

C̶r̶a̶p̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶.̶

All part of the hazing process, junior. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, they mentioned they would make sure they were "right-sized" in the fiscal call, which is coded language for layoffs.

It's all your fault GAF, for not buying enough season passes. Now Jenny's gotta go on welfare because of your altruism. You should be ashamed. /s

Condolences to those affected. May you land on your feet.

It's all your fault GAF, for not buying enough season passes. Now Jenny's gotta go on welfare because of your altruism. You should be ashamed. /s

Condolences to those affected. May you land on your feet.

Season Passes aren't the issue. Those are selling. Its Skylanders / Guitar Hero

Don't forget Skylanders selling less and less.

Season Passes aren't the issue. Those are selling. Its Skylanders / Guitar Hero

The slowing of the Skylanders gravy train shouldn't be too surprising, given that Disney Infinity hit its stride with 3.0 and Lego Dimensions launched last year as well. Lots of competition in that space these days. Plus, Superchargers seemed even more gimmicky that the last couple of gimmicky Skylanders.

U2NUMB

Bummer for those that it hit but honestly as someone who lives here in the twin cities.. might be the best large area to be looking for a job. Job market is healthy as hell here so I hope they all find jobs soon.

AmuroChan

Layoffs in the video game industry shouldn't be surprising anymore. It's a volatile business where turnover rate is probably a lot higher than most other industries. Good luck to those affected.

Sad news, Activision is in my good books atm due to their relationship with Platinum Games, long may that continue (Transformers Devastation is the dogs ballocks.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Minneapolis was the head of Activision Value, which IIRC oversaw their licensed game business as well.

I wonder if they intend to cut back on that.

Hoje0308

Banned
So Minneapolis was the head of Activision Value, which IIRC oversaw their licensed game business as well.

I wonder if they intend to cut back on that.

Looks like it.

The publisher has also scaled back its licensed game business, which was handled in part out of the Minnesota location. This year’s lineup includes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan and a rumored Ghostbusters game.

Zukkoyaki

I wonder if this could lead to the return of more traditional non-licensed IP like Blur or Prototype. Or greater support for the Sierra brand.

Well the good news for people who like big budget AAA games that part of their business is about as strong as ever. Should be getting just as much if not more than you are now coming up.

If you like the smaller scale stuff like Transformers, Deadpool, etc. not looking too good

Hoje0308

Banned
Well the good news for people who like big budget AAA games that part of their business is about as strong as ever. Should be getting just as much if not more than you are now coming up.

If you like the smaller scale stuff like Transformers, Deadpool, etc. not looking too good

I have been hoping for a new Transformers game and the success of the Deadpool movie got my hopes up for a new game, but with proper treatment this time. Welp...

Edit: That renewed focus on mobile.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SonyToo!™;195391895 said:
I just read that (posting before reading source FTW)

Any chance it just means any in house development of licence games Activ might do?

Minneapolis wasn't an office with development staff. It was a business management arm.

They might take their select remaining licensed console titles and run them out of Activision's headquarters, but I probably wouldn't expect too many of them going forward, since they would have just left the arm open if they were planning more than 1-3 titles a year.

fernoca

Fancy way of saying Guitar Hero didn't do well.

Bummer for those affected though.
No fancy way, they said it last week (didn't met their internal expectations).

But this layoff seem to affect a side that handles licenced games and not FreeStyle, Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob who will continue working on other things including more content for Guitar Hero and a new Skylander game.

AHA-Lambda

I always did wonder how ATVI could sustain licensed games sales when no other big publisher these days would touch them =/

AHA-Lambda

I mean that's how it's worked since forever. So yes?

PS4/XB1 is still only just over 2 years old, the casual audience they are speaking of that buys stuff like GH or Spyro, don't tend to move over so quick.

Heck, that audience I'm pretty sure is the only one still buying games on 360/PS3

Were they seriously expecting this to happen?

umm yea? The hardcore crowd cant sustain console sales forever. Activision needs to stop releasing last gen ports of there games if they want the casual audience to switch over alot of people still buy skylanders on last gen.

Hoje0308

Banned
umm yea? The hardcore crowd cant sustain console sales forever. Activision needs to stop releasing last gen ports of there games if they want the casual audience to switch over alot of people still buy skylanders on last gen.

Maybe they're waiting for the consoles to reach a price point that is more attractive to the casual audience.

TreIII

Aw, no...hope those people land on their feet.

But I really wanted that Platinum Transformers trilogy to still happen. Much less that we're looking to finally get a quality TMNT game after years of subpar shovelware...

ViciousDS

Banned
The slowing of the Skylanders gravy train shouldn't be too surprising, given that Disney Infinity hit its stride with 3.0 and Lego Dimensions launched last year as well. Lots of competition in that space these days. Plus, Superchargers seemed even more gimmicky that the last couple of gimmicky Skylanders.

If feels like the next guitar hero.....just the market is getting oversaturated with the products. I go to Wal-Mart and there is an entire aisle dedicated to the figurines alone....its just too much and add those up and holy shit at the cost.

Struct09

When I graduated college from the University of Minnesota this Activision office was one place I had considered applying. I didn't because I suspected they could get closed at any time. Granted that was like 9 years ago, but I still feel justified!

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

CamHostage

I wonder if they intend to cut back on...
Oh fuck does that mean less work for Platinum? :(
Looks like it.
The publisher has also scaled back its licensed game business, which was handled in part out of the Minnesota location. This year’s lineup includes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan and a rumored Ghostbusters game.

I knew somebody at Activision MN who left before they quit out of the Value business years ago, I thought at the time that meant they were shutting up all that business back in 2012 but then the PlatinumGames products and some other licensed stuff started coming and I could sense MN was still quietly plugging away.

Sad that Activision couldn't sustain them, a big publisher like that should be bringing a wider variety of product to the market. Granted, we all shat on crap-games clogging up the bargain bins, but the market now feels hollow without the mid-tier games (some of which were surprisingly good.) And a lot of independent development shops used to rely on publishers like Activision's MN office to give them work and some exposure (even if Acti suckered companies to woefully underbid on productions,) the indie market and the mobile market has since offered new opportunities for these folks but it's still not at the same level. We may never see perfect alignment of brand and developer and boxed-product publisher to make a instabuy Christmas gift as we did with the PlatinumGames products.

Valkrai

Damn, this sucks. It seems like Activision overestimated how well Guitar Hero Live would sell. Also looked liked they already ran Skylanders in the ground (No wonder why I saw the newest one was around $30 at Walmart)

Top Bottom