• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Boss Says Ghost Rider Was Too Expensive for 22 Episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. made a noteworthy gamble in Season 4, to swing a little darker by adapting a new Ghost Rider for live-action. That said, midwinter finale “The Laws of Inferno Dynamics” put a pin in the Rider to bring us a new “LMD” arc, something executive producer Jeffrey Bell admits was partly out of “financial considerations.”

TVLine had a chance to speak with Bell before the new “LMD” half-season premieres with January 10 return “Broken Promises,” clarifying a few points on Gabriel Luna’s exit as Robbie Reyes. For one, Bell acknowledged that the “financial considerations” of Ghost Rider CGI were high over a full season, while the simplicity of actors playing Life Model Decoys “doesn’t cost as much.” There’s also the chance to provide a new “flavor”:

[Ghost Rider is] a lot for 22 [episodes], especially with everything else that we like and care about on the show. It would feel like one flavor over a long period of time, but we’ve certainly left it open [for him to return].

Executive producer Jed Whedon also noted that “[LMDs are] something that we’ve been wanting to get to, and now we’re finally able to get to,” without specifying what held them up previously. The first Avengers movie made passing reference to the “Life Model Decoy” of Tony Stark, while S.H.I.E.L.D. viewers suspected that Patton Oswalt’s recurring Koenig brother characters might have been some remnant of the program.

We’ll see more when the “LMD” arc begins in January, but might Ghost Rider still return, or at least garner his own expensive spinoff?

Zesh

It's unfortunate, but not surprising. I think their gamble paid off, though, as he was a great character. It's a bit sad to see him go.

Xiaoki

If having 1 or 2 Ghost Rider scenes an episode was too expensive then how in the hell are they going to do an Inhumans TV series next year?

Slayven

If having 1 or 2 Ghost Rider scenes an episode was too expensive then how in the hell are they going to do an Inhumans TV series next year?

99% of inhumans can be done with makeup. And I doubt they highlight how fugly they tend to be

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ha, just finished this week. Agree with everyone else that it was easily one of thenshow's strongest arcs. Hope it worked out for them.

Love this show.

I am curious if Netflix can develop something, or even if they want to. Most of Netflix's output has had the fortune of being pretty low budget. I don't think you could do a decent Ghost Rider series at that scale.

99% of inhumans can be done with makeup. And I doubt they highlight how fugly they tend to be
They've been beautifying them in the comics too. Just look at Karnak's redesign versus his original alien look.

And the Royal family doesn't really have powers that require CG to the level of Ghost Rider. Black Bolt's voice is simple to do, as are the ice and fire powers of Crystal. Gorgan's appearance may require a bit of makeup but him and Karnak dont require CG. Medusa does but hair is super easy to do.

The only one that's tricky would be Lockjaw but maybe they can film a regular bulldog on a blue screen for that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Ha, just finished this week. Agree with everyone else that it was easily one of thenshow's strongest arcs. Hope it worked out for them.

Love this show.

I am curious if Netflix can develop something, or even if they want to. Most of Netflix's output has had the fortune of being pretty low budget. I don't think you could do a decent Ghost Rider series at that scale.

They can do what they did in Dardevil and turn 96% of the lights off so you can't see shit. Then have sporadic flames and screams.

Slayven

They've been beautifying them in the comics too. Just look at Karnak's redesign versus his original alien look.

And the Royal family doesn't really have powers that require CG to the level of Ghost Rider. Black Bolt's voice is simple to do, as are the ice and fire powers of Crystal. Gorgan's appearance may require a bit of makeup but him and Karnak dont require CG. Medusa does but hair is super easy to do.

The only one that's tricky would be Lockjaw but maybe they can film a regular bulldog on a blue screen for that.

People always forget about Triton

Ghost Rider was the best thing the show's ever done and singlehandedly pulled me back into AoS this year. Really too bad they're moving away, though considering how good the transformation scenes were, I certainly understand. Not looking forward to the 2nd half of the season as much tbh.

Ghost Rider was the best thing the show's ever done and singlehandedly puled me back into AoS this year. Really too bad they're moving away, though considering how good the transformation scenes were, I certainly understand. Not really looking forward to the 2nd half of the season as much tbh.

Yup.

The arc was dope and the effects on him were pretty impressive for TV so I'm not surprised. I'll finish off this season tho in hopes it keeps my interest

I feel like he was around for just the perfect amount of time. 22 episodes and he would have overstayed his welcome.

Honestly after the first season, SHIELD has been pretty fucking great at bringing in story arcs and ending them concisely. It allows them to do a lot more each season and keep momentum going.

Penguin

Ha different shows have different budgets and expectations.

And longer running shows tend to have their budget cut year after year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably why the next arc is about LMDs.

All your villains can just be regular cast members.

Inhumans is only eight episodes and has IMAX footing part of the bill. It's a different business model from AoS, reportedly with a significantly higher per-episode budget.

That said, my expectations for it are very low given the extremely rushed production schedule; there's no casting announced, the showrunner hasn't even wrapped up post-production on Iron Fist yet, and it's supposed to debut around Labor Day? That'd be pushing it even if this were an ABC solo production, let alone an attempt at prestige TV.

TDLink

Let me shock you with the reason why Gorilla Grodd isn't a permanent presence on The Flash...

You say that but they still spend a ton on CG/special effects every single episode of that show. Most of it doesn't look as good as Ghost Rider did on AoS, but occasionally it does. And it's a hell of a lot more frequent.

TDLink

Inhumans is only eight episodes and has IMAX footing part of the bill. It's a different business model from AoS, reportedly with a significantly higher per-episode budget.

That said, my expectations for it are very low given the extremely rushed production schedule; there's no casting announced, the showrunner hasn't even wrapped up post-production on Iron Fist yet, and it's supposed to debut around Labor Day? That'd be pushing it even if this were an ABC solo production, let alone an attempt at prestige TV.

Most network shows only start production 5-8 weeks before their first episode airdate (pilot aside). I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yo Scott Buck is showrunning Inhumans too? Well there goes any hope I had for that show.

You say that but they still spend a ton on CG/special effects every single episode of that show. Most of it doesn't look as good as Ghost Rider did on AoS, but occasionally it does. And it's a hell of a lot more frequent.

Flash uses a whole bunch of tricks to get around their budget (which is even lower than Shield). They're better at managing resources, shooting/reusing effects and their CG team happens to be huge Flash fans who take things like Grodd and King Shark as a matter of personal pride. But make no mistake, many many things are cut due to budget.

styl3s

I would be ok with AOS being cut to 12-13 episodes and having Ghost Rider on as a regular not only because i want Ghost Rider but because having 22+ episodes hurts the show more than it helps it. Too much crap is dragged out to fill up those episodes and that's what ultimately makes me stop watching it as it airs and catch it on a streaming service at a later date.

The Kree

Banned
Ghost Rider being gone doesn't mean all the visual effects are just gonna disappear. Think about all the stuff you usually don't notice at a glance - green screened backgrounds, quinjets, wire removal, gunfire, whatever monster of the week they come up against. It won't be as in-your-face as a flaming skull but it'll still be there.

ZeroX03

Banned
Psst the real secret is why Jax and Dr Stein split up so much.

The answer to that puzzle is that they want to get their money's worth out of Victor Garber. Firestorm isn't always blazing when they're combined, but Garber gets paid no matter what.

Do you think they'll ever explain the whole Koenig thing? I realize Oswalt is understandably not necessarily in the position to return right now, but I'd like some explanation eventually and this might be the last season.

Eh. Not necessarily true. Since they aren't going through a typical pilot process, they can get away with not hiring cast members yet. Most TV productions (outside of pilot episodes) don't even start until the upfronts in May when the networks actually confirm the shows are happening, and plotting and writing for the shows don't generally happen before that either. Filming for shows that premier in September don't typically start until late July or after.

So they actually have plenty of time based on the typical TV production schedule.

The Kree

Banned
Do you think they'll ever explain the whole Koenig thing? I realize Oswalt is understandably not necessarily in the position to return right now, but I'd like some explanation eventually and this might be the last season.

I think it was confirmed that they were just triplets. That's actually weirder than LMDs.

Most network shows only start production 5-8 weeks before their first episode airdate (pilot aside). I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

Eh. Not necessarily true. Since they aren't going through a typical pilot process, they can get away with not hiring cast members yet. Most TV productions (outside of pilot episodes) don't even start until the upfronts in May when the networks actually confirm the shows are happening, and plotting and writing for the shows don't generally happen before that either. Filming for shows that premier in September don't typically start until late July or after.

So they actually have plenty of time based on the typical TV production schedule.

Eh, maybe. But the press for Inhumans in THR, NYT, etc., and the IMAX partnership in itself, definitely implied that they were trying to position the series as something more akin to an HBO or Netflix prestige drama than a standard ABC series, and those do have much longer production schedules.

Either way, they would also normally hire a showrunner who isn't busy wrapping up another project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom