• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Charmed’ Reboot Series In Works At the CW From ‘Jane the Virgin’ Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Jane the Virgin is better than Charmed ever was. I'm cool with them taking the concept and doing new things with it.

Can't reboot perfection. They will make it all angsty and moody

That's Berlanti, this is Jennie Snyder Urman. If anything I'd except it to be more comic and light hearted while doing the family drama more realistically.

Maybe this time it will actually be good.

The only good thing about Charmed was Obscurus Lupa's manic episodes covering the series.

Koriandrr

Can't reboot perfection. They will make it all angsty and moody

This.

I rewatched the original like last year, it's still pretty damn good, it hasn't aged all that bad, apart from the thin 90s eyebrows. It's a great show that doesn't need a reboot. It was my favourite show as a teen and I still love it, I honestly don't understand this decision to reboot it. Knowing CW they'll make it even more teeny/soapy and have the most drop dead gorgeous people as cast. (although nothing can really beat young Rose McGowan)

Bishop89

Cole-Turner-image-cole-turner-36730920-370-277.gif

Idk Jane the Virgin is pretty awesome. I wouldn't call it angsty in the typical CW way at all.

if by pretty awesome you mean pretty much the best "sitcom" [don't know what else to call it] on television? then yes i agree.

seriously JtV is INCREDIBLE, charmed was always good fun - myself and my wife are rooting for this [like, REALLY rooting for this].

this show was clearly aimed at girls but the actresses ran around in skimpy outfits the whole time, i never really understood why.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The reboot hails from the team behind the CW’s dramedy Jane the Virgin

Honestly that's a good thing as Jane the Virgin is a good show unlike Charmed which is just so bad that the main characters aka the hero of the show are so goddamn unlikable and aren't any better than the demons they fight.

Plus later season would pad out the show by showing shots of San Francisco.

This show gets replayed so fucking much from start to finish on E4 (UK) that I must have seen it through like 5 times.

Same, I just keep it on for background noise when I am writing.

Though I miss the day when E4 would replay Friends from start to finish, I miss that show. ;_;

Were you a teenage boy at the time?

yes, well, pre-teen and i mean i enjoyed it but i never met another guy who was into it or even watched the show. just a lot of women.

i mean i haven't watched twilight but it's all about the men in that one, i expected charmed to be this way too.

Lothar

Banned
Honestly cw is pretty good right so yea reboot that shit.

I kinda want a Buffy reboot after supernatural and vampire diaries ends

Fuck a Buffy reboot. Sarah Michelle Gellar is just 39. Bring the old cast back. Any that wants it and do something with them. From what I can tell, they all look mostly the same except for Xander.

It doesn't have to be written by Whedon. That style doesn't look like it'd be too hard to copy.

ZoddGutts

Fuck a Buffy reboot. Sarah Michelle Gellar is just 39. Bring the old cast back. Any that wants it and do something with them. From what I can tell, they all look mostly the same except for Xander.

It doesn't have to be written by Whedon. That style doesn't look like it'd be too hard to copy.

They could just bring in the actor of Xander twin brother.

Soulfire

Love Charmed, love Jane the Virgin, not excited about this though. Not a fan of the 70s setting at all.

TVLine has unofficial descriptions of the characters that sound horrible.

Tina: African American. Whip-smart, Tina is one dissertation (and one dissertation advisor) away from a PhD. She can be reserved, even standoffish, in uncomfortable situations, but she picks up on
everything and she’s definitely making quick, accurate judgments about you.
Paige: Caucasian Cheerful, curvy, wholesome and as all-American as the apple pie she can’t wait to serve to the husband she has yet to marry. Paige’s main goal in life is to marry a rich doctor and be a wife and mother.
Annie: Caucasian. Intense, smart, and quick to anger. She dresses neutrally, though she could give two s–ts if you like her outfit, so stop wondering what “neutral” means. But under that tough façade, well… there is a fragility. A person desperate to be loved, and love.

ZeroX03

Banned
Love Charmed, love Jane the Virgin, not excited about this though. Not a fan of the 70s setting at all.

TVLine has unofficial descriptions of the characters that sound horrible.

Those descriptions are usually junk and vague for casting purposes. Wouldn't read much into it.

ReaperXL7

Meh, call me when they got the balls to bring The Craft back from the dead.

The-Craft.jpg

Ahh when the hipsters really got into Wicca for awhile.

Soulfire

So basically, a black woman, a "curvy" white woman, and likely a skinny white woman

That's all we got

It's CW so they'll be gorgeous too. As long as the rest of the descriptions aren't 100% accurate I'll probably try it out even though I don't like the 70s.

ryseing

Scrap this and do a Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (the Teenage Witch) reboot with the same team. I'll take my bucket of money in the form lotto scratchers, CBS productions. Thanks

It'll happen if Riverdale takes off, which I think it will.

Wasn't there a rumor going around
that Sabrina would show up in the finale?

My wife is probably watching Charmed on Netflix right now (unless she fell asleep). I wonder what she's gonna think about this

LionPride

Banned
It'll happen if Riverdale takes off, which I think it will.

Wasn't there a rumor going around
that Sabrina would show up in the finale?

Look, Riverdale already looks like it'll be around for at least five seasons. If she shows up at all in Season One they have me for life. Mainly because that almost ensures she gets a spinoff show

Koomaster

Cautiously optimistic. The last season or two of Charmed got to be complete garbage, but I really loved the series as a whole. Used to watch the reruns every morning on TNT as well. Probably seen the whole series half a dozen times if not more just because of that alone. xD

Anyway, I would definitely be down. I am not a reboot hater, if the reboot is not good I just won't watch and forget about it. The old material is still there if I ever get the hankering to rewatch the original Charmed again. But if there is the possibility the reboot turns out great, then it's another awesome dip into the Charmed universe which would make me happy! :)

Buffy reboot is impossible without SMG, she IS Buffy. A reunion would be the shit tho!

Charmed seems more doable, it doesn't really have to be the original characters. Curious what they would do with today's technology.

My cousin is an actor and was in one or two episodes of Charmed, and to this day people will stop him on the street because of the role and want a picture or autograph. Charmed fans are next level.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Piper was best witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom