• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Series Reboot With Black Lead In Works From Monica Owusu-Breen & Joss Whedon

My issue is with it being BUFFY herself, why not have some magic shit happen where Sarah Michelle Geller is the new Giles and has to teach a new slayer the ropes, bring in cameos for nostalgia (Angel and Spike somehow) and grow from there.

The rebooting of the actual character is going to be shit.

Well I guess if you think Black Power and Marxist underpinning is about social justice then we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think both Black Power and White Power ideologies are tribal destructive forces on society.

If you think the Black Power movement is the equivalent of White Supremacy, then we more than "agree to disagree." We are enemies.

Papa

Banned
THAT is how I usually see white men (usually white men) make fun of the way they THINK black people talk.

Stereotyping an entire group while complaining about stereotyping of another group. Can't make this shit up.

I still don't see how you think he was mocking black people. To me, the purposeful misspellings read more like they're mocking millennial outrage culture than any particular ethnic group.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well I guess if you think Black Power and Marxist underpinning is about social justice then we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think both Black Power and White Power ideologies are tribal destructive forces on society.

Black power movement was NOTHING like white supremacy.

It was about FINALLY loving ourselves and realizing we are powerful ...

Not slaves and less than human as we had been TOLD and made to feel ashamed of our black skin.

Read a DAGGONE book by the people who were actually there!

Papa

Banned
Black power movement was NOTHING like white supremacy.

It was about FINALLY loving ourselves and realizing we are powerful ...

Not slaves and less than human as we had been TOLD and made to feel ashamed of our black skin.

Read a DAGGONE book by the people who were actually there!

By all means, love yourself, but don't hate others while you're doing it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Stereotyping an entire group while complaining about stereotyping of another group. Can't make this shit up.

I still don't see how you think he was mocking black people. To me, the purposeful misspellings read more like they're mocking millennial outrage culture than any particular ethnic group.

How did I stereotype white men? I noted the ones I NOTICED that said similar. At least be intellectually honest.

Papa

Banned
How did I stereotype white men? I noted the ones I NOTICED that said similar. At least be intellectually honest.

Assuming for a second that he was in fact mocking the way black people talk, by your logic it's fine and intellectually honest for him to do so if it's an accurate depiction of the black people he has personally noticed.

bitbydeath

My issue is with it being BUFFY herself, why not have some magic shit happen where Sarah Michelle Geller is the new Giles and has to teach a new slayer the ropes, bring in cameos for nostalgia (Angel and Spike somehow) and grow from there.

The rebooting of the actual character is going to be shit.

If they continue down that way hopefully they just bring in a whole new side cast. No Xander, Willow, Angel, Giles, Cordelia etc.

Just new Buffy (for namesake) and everything else is different.

Last edited:

Skyr

Another show that is unnecessary redone. Got to play it safe to get those numbers in.

Regarding the black lead. I really couldn't care less what skin color the actress has in a fantasy setting. It sucks that this always has to become the center of discussion.

I don't mind the Charmed -reboot, the original show was kind of a mess. With Buffy, I hope they would build on top of existing mythology with a new character rather than re-hashing the old.

JCK75

The entire joke behind the name is that Buffy is associated with a rich stuck up white girl.
There are times when going more diverse makes complete sense, this is not one of those.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The entire joke behind the name is that Buffy is associated with a rich stuck up white girl.
There are times when going more diverse makes complete sense, this is not one of those.
Buffy ~
A spoiled, idiotic, adolescent female, usually from off coast of California, beautiful in nature but seemingly clueless.
Typically spoilt white blonde female teenagers.
See Vally Girl or Clueless or Buffy the Vampire Slayer films for examples.
It's not any white girl role, it's very specific.
My I add I'm open to anyone having shot of any race having a go at playing Buffy. It's if they will be a convincing Buffy thats the problem because the character is a strongly stereotyped.
Also the new Buffy will not be following a pre layout foundation like the original TV series.

Last edited:

Troyaferd

Banned
I am more curious of Joss`s other new Series The Nevers.

Buffy is already one of the greatest Shows out there, there is no need to remake it.

Is it that hard to come up with new characters, new stories and franchises?

Im a filmaker and this new trend of just grabbing a popular film/series and making them black/gay/female with no context is just enfuriating, but then again, it seems to be making wonders with hollywood...they sure love to spend money with the recent "success" of Oceans/Ghostbusters etc.

Troyaferd

Banned
Is it that hard to come up with new characters, new stories and franchises?

Im a filmaker and this new trend of just grabbing a popular film/series and making them black/gay/female with no context is just enfuriating, but then again, it seems to be making wonders with hollywood...they sure love to spend money with the recent "success" of Oceans/Ghostbusters etc.

totally agree.

They are just interested to push these Agendas anymore. (Gay, Feminist, Race, Transgender).

I am really hoping for some reboots with only diabled people starring as the main protagonists.

Imagine the possibilities with a Rocky reboot with a Tourette guy, or another Ghostbusters with all of them in wheelchairs..

Xenon

Good. Hopefully they are able to touch upon the new ground and give us insite of what its like to be a black slayer in America. Also the Master could be modeled after Donald Trump and use a slogan All Beings Matter and make America Dead again! F̶o̶x̶ Wolf News could be the new Wolfram and Heart. Man that would be great.

Edit: 15 years ago this actually could have been a non-issue. Unfortunately there is no way this is not going to be horrible in the current environment of progressive virtue signaling in writing

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Just bring back Kendra, and make the new slayer her daughter or some bullshit. Problem solved. Keeps fans happy also. It's the fan service we deserve.

teezzy

Banned
I'd be shocked if this project wasnt dead already. They already wrapped up the series with seasons 8 through 12 in comic form, and have recently rebooted the comics with Joss involved in a minor capacity.

Still would love some Kendra fan service with a few winks for us old heads.

Top Bottom