• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Buffy the Vampire Slayer | Smashing the patriarchy one demon at a time

I watch Buffy and Angel with one of my two grown-up sprogs on perpetual rerun alongside all the other stuff we both love (Doctor Who, Frozen, Thor, etc).

Season 1-3 are good, but not great. The stories are interesting but the characters are not quite there yet. I enjoy the later seasons more. I like Riley, and that entire Initiative storyline is wonderful. The characters introduced in later episodes tend to be the ones that stay with me; Anya, Dawn, Tara, Warren, and above all Andrew. It's the characters I love.

Xander comes forward at this time, breaking away from his high school persona and making his way in the world. One episode I cannot watch at the moment, because it's too painful, is the wedding where Xander jilts Anya. Although some demon trickery provokes it, Xander's loss of nerve is real and he is depicted as owning it. We know he'll always carry a torch for Anya, which makes Andrew's noble lie to him about her death so poignant.

Angel the series is also very good, and more consistently grown up. It also benefits from the Los Angeles setting, which puts the characters far away from the Edward Scissorhands-like toytown-in-the-desert location of the Buffy television series.

As with Buffy, the introduction of new characters and complex plots makes the later seasons more interesting. The interchange of cast members between Buffy, Firefly and Angel also creates some fascinating juxtapositions.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Buffy is great and I kinda wanna rewatch it.

I'll never forgive Angel for how they treated Cordelia though.

Yea the Cordelia arc went kind of the opposite of Wesley. Also I never at all cared for Angel’s son and that nonsense drove like two seasons.

Buffy is great and I kinda wanna rewatch it.

I'll never forgive Angel for how they treated Cordelia though.

Cordelia becomes the Buffy of Angel. That would have been boring and predictable so she gets misled and possessed and nearly ends up making the world perfect (at a small price). But Angel and his comrades have to jailbreak Omelas. What bastards!

Then Cordelia is allowed one perfect day. You're welcome.

My favourite sweets are bitter.

Karu

Watched this for the first time a year or two ago. Basically can agree with everything in the OP.

Season 2 is fantastic.
Season 4 kinda sucks.
Anya is awesome.

Quit the show during Season 6. The fun magic was lost as price for "mimimi :-(". Many love it for that, wasn't my cup of tea.

Alastor3

I stopped last year in season 4 because it started cross-playing with Angel and I just couldn't get into Angel (the show) and I have heard it was good to watch all the two series in chronological order.

Should I just continuer watching season 4 until the end and just doesn't care about Angel (or try again another time) ?

Buffy season 4 is pretty pretty bad... hopefully season 5-6 are good? what's wrong with S7 ?

Actually I started watching after looking at the comic book cover that I thought was pretty cool.

Admodieus

I stopped last year in season 4 because it started cross-playing with Angel and I just couldn't get into Angel (the show) and I have heard it was good to watch all the two series in chronological order.

Should I just continuer watching season 4 until the end and just doesn't care about Angel (or try again another time) ?

Buffy season 4 is pretty pretty bad... hopefully season 5-6 are good? what's wrong with S7 ?

Actually I started watching after looking at the comic book cover that I thought was pretty cool.

You can definitely just tackle Buffy and then go to Angel when you’re ready (or not). The crossover isn’t pretty minimal after Buffy Season4/ Angel Season 1 until Bufffys last season, and even then it’s minor.

Media

Let's not forget what the show managed to do with Fred. Though yes Buffy Wesley and Angel's Wesley are two different people. The scene where he thinks he
killed his dad
is excellent.

Legit the only time I screamed and coveredy mouth is shock is when that happened without any hesitation

Parsnip

smgfap.gif

I only saw Buffy back when it first aired, I should watch it again.
I have a hunch that a lot of the writing got lost in translation when I watched it with subs back then, for the first few (best) seasons at least.

Once More, with Feeling will never be topped.

SomTervo

Amazing show. One of my all time favourites. Watched it with my gf earlier this year, who had never seen it, and she was legit broken when it finished.

Season 7 definitely wasn't as bad as i remember. I feel like 1 is the weakest?

Sometimes I swear Denisoff doesn't get enough credit, he brought his A game to the show.

He's really great in Grimm, too. My wife loves Grimm so I see quite a bit of him.

His Benedick in Whedon's film of Much Ado makes a wonderful sequel to Angel opposite Amy Acker's Beatrice. Wesley-Fred shippers will not need to be reminded to see this film.

SoulUnison

Banned
Angel starts as a pretty by-the-numbers monster of the week/detective procedural kind of show but grows into something much, much better and gives Angel enough room to breathe that, by the end, he'll be your favourite character in that whole verse.

I need to get around to watching Angel since it's apparently legitimately just as good as Buffy and I -really- need some character expansion/redemption for Angel after binging the entire Buffy series a couple years back.

He really annoyed me in Buffy. So much revolved around him when he was numbingly boring as an actual character and actor. I always imagine the casting director's orders were "find a pretty man, acting optional," and every episode the director just told him "stand here, smolder and brood, and lose the shirt if the scene allows for it."

I need to get around to watching Angel since it's apparently legitimately just as good as Buffy and I -really- need some character expansion/redemption for Angel after binging the entire Buffy series a couple years back.

He really annoyed me in Buffy. So much revolved around him when he was numbingly boring as an actual character and actor. I always imagine the casting director's orders were "find a pretty man, acting optional," and every episode the director just told him "stand here, smolder and brood, and lose the shirt if the scene allows for it."
Boreanaz gets a lot more to work with in his own show. He's got surprisingly good comedic chops. Angel is more of an adult show...to me than Buffy was. Angel is at it's best when it decides to go to town with how awkward he is socially.

i agree with basically all yer points OP! anya is also my favorite!
thebuildup to demiwitch willow was so good and they dismantled it so quickly!

AoM

Well, he was found one day when he was walking his dog lol. Check out this interview with the casting director (#3): http://www.scottryanproductions.com/big-bad-buffy-interviews-episode-guide/

Vic_Viper

Been planning on watching Buffy after my Lost rewatch. Have they said anything about a Bluray collection for Buffy? I saw they did a 20th anniversary DVD collection just alil while ago and can't believe they didn't do a Bluray instead.

Is there anyway to watch Buffy in HD? Pissed Netflix dropped it last year.

Which Buffy ep is that. I'd admit that I don't remember a lot of seasons 5-7

Sleep Tight is the Angel season 3 episode where Wesley
attempts to take off with Conner and gets his throat slit.
It made a much better season finale than the actual season 3 finale Tomorrow where
Cordy gets glowy and Angel goes deep sea diving

Trunx28

aah, good memories. I loved Buffy back in the days. Angel was great as well, but the episode
where he's back to Angelus and then they heal him but it was all not for real
really put me off. And the last season took years to air in Germany thanks to really bad ratings. Had to buy the box on DVD and it's still my favourite season.
Spike is soo great as a ghost, just standing in Angels room and getting on his nerves. Ilaria .. wow, that was a harsh one!
Loved how they fooled Wolfram really hart.

Sleep Tight is the Angel season 3 episode where Wesley
attempts to take off with Conner and gets his throat slit.
It made a much better season finale than the actual season 3 finale Tomorrow where
Cordy gets glowy and Angel goes deep sea diving
Ok thanks. You know...after reading that description of a vampire being trapped underwater I'm wondering if Whedon read Jojo.

SeeThree

Been planning on watching Buffy after my Lost rewatch. Have they said anything about a Bluray collection for Buffy? I saw they did a 20th anniversary DVD collection just alil while ago and can't believe they didn't do a Bluray instead.

Check the 4th post here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=215038&page=226

They did a really shitty job but yeah you can kinda watch Buffy in HD.

Watching Season 1 on DVD with a TV's screen set to 16:9 was weird yesterday. Although my companion didn't notice, I was having problems with the stretched horizontal so we switched to 4:3. I don't recall ever having that issue with later seasons.

There was a ruckus about three years ago when Fox started messing with the original frame size by retrimming from the original master copies to make 16:9-friendly reruns. Predictably they ended up with sound booms and whatnot in shot, and the overall effect didn't go down well with longtime fans.

-shadow-

There's remasters of the first couple of seasons which are absolutely terrible in every single way. Shots are zoomed in, cropped, zoomed out, wrong takes, incorrectly colour timed, framed incorrectly, effects were terrible upscaled, redone (starting halfway season 3 some of the original actually effects were re-rendered in higher resolution) and the list goes on and on and on. It's a disaster in every single way and it's mind boggling that the differ studios thought this way good enough to air. Whedon wasn't asked by the studios, neither were the different directors or cinematographers. So who the hell knows what will happen with this series in HD moving forward.

Personally I hope that if they must and shall have it be 16:9, that they at least keep the OAR and just open up the image like they did with the PAL DVD's of Buffy. That way I can just crop them myself.

Media

Watching Season 1 on DVD with a TV's screen set to 16:9 was weird yesterday. Although my companion didn't notice, I was having problems with the stretched horizontal so we switched to 4:3. I don't recall ever having that issue with later seasons.

There was a ruckus about three years ago when Fox started messing with the original frame size by retrimming from the original master copies to make 16:9-friendly reruns. Predictably they ended up with sound booms and whatnot in shot, and the overall effect didn't go down well with longtime fans.

Hey, at least we got to see Xanders underwear lol.

Not

Banned
I watched all the way to the middle of Season 3 with my wife and her friend (her friend really wanted to watch it)

It's an enjoyable enough show. Fun to riff to, and there's a neat connection back to the pop culture/fashion of my childhood.

Don't know when I'll see the rest!

eot

Banned
I was stared watching it a while ago but fell off around S5. I found the military bf dude insufferably boring. Angel S1 was better

Unit 33

I just finished a re-watch, as I could only vaguely remember a few bits. Towards the last season I started to recall
who dies

Completely forgot about
Dawn
, but oddly remembered the finale in which
Buffy dies
, which is kinda weird.

It is a very enjoyable show, and even the lowest points (Beer Bad) are still amusing in some way. I think there was a thread a while back about how the 'nerd' villains are surprisingly relevant in today's context, despite being poorly received at the time, which I would really agree with. Kinda proto-Kylo Ren maybe, in the way they are a little pathetic and aspire idolise what they believe to be strength.

I had a great time re-watching it, I think it took just over a year to get through, due to other TV commitments, and I'll miss it.

Suppose I'll have to re-watch SG1, since I've completely forgotten what happens in that.

TheDanger

Banned
wH9ii8Y.jpg

The show is at its best when it deals in self-contained monster-of-the-week episodes, as opposed to those dedicated to the season-long plot.

what in the hell? Lots of great mow episodes, but I strongly prefer the episodes that move the plot forward significantly. I thought everyone did tbh.

Just watched the first episode of Angel.

That was a pretty good first episode! I never cared much for Angel in Buffy, but here, just in that first episode, he was more interesting to watch than in all of Buffy.

Also, 16:9!!!! Fuuuucckkk yeeeesss. God. Why haven't they switched to that for Buffy season 4? Fucking hell. With every new season, I kept hoping we'd ditch fucking 4:3. Nope. All the way through the end.

Very strong start, I'll say. I'm excited to watch more. Contrary to how it was with Buffy, I actually don't know anything about this show or its characters, except that Cordelia dies because Whedon got jealous that he wasn't Charisma's baby-daddy, I guess. What an asshole.

Anyways. I'll make a Lttp thread for Angel once I'm done watching it. It'll probably be in a little while though.

cheers

p.s.: The Angel musical theme is great.

Also, 16:9!!!! Fuuuucckkk yeeeesss. God. Why haven't they switched to that for Buffy season 4? Fucking hell. With every new season, I kept hoping we'd ditch fucking 4:3. Nope. All the way through the end.

Ummm only the American DVDs are in 4:3 format.

Everywhere else is in 16:9 widescreen.

Ummm only the American DVDs are in 4:3 format.

Everywhere else is in 16:9 widescreen.

Are you talking about Buffy? Are you seriously telling me they cropped the already small 4:3 image to stretch it to 16:9?

Good god. What were they thinking. That's terrible.

Slygmous

Are you talking about Buffy? Are you seriously telling me they cropped the already small 4:3 image to stretch it to 16:9?

Good god. What were they thinking. That's terrible.

The non-R1 DVDs for Buffy season 4 onwards are real 16:9 widescreen, not cropped, but it's just opened up and episodes weren't always filmed with the widescreen safe zone in mind. You get occasional weird mistakes or crew in the shot, as well as a lot of dead space.
Looks pretty sometimes though, it was the only way I experienced seasons 6 and 7.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i am LTTP with this show. right now i've seen the first 8 episodes of season 1. it's pretty good! i really enjoy all the medieval grimoire name drops. the writing is pretty solid too, it is funny that everything is written this way now, like every Marvel and Disney movie is copping this style. the show is so very 90s, and i love it, i have a lot of nostalgia for the era. great show and i'm looking forward to seeing all the seasons, i heard it's pretty good throughout.

kiiltz

i am LTTP with this show. right now i've seen the first 8 episodes of season 1. it's pretty good! i really enjoy all the medieval grimoire name drops. the writing is pretty solid too, it is funny that everything is written this way now, like every Marvel and Disney movie is copping this style. the show is so very 90s, and i love it, i have a lot of nostalgia for the era. great show and i'm looking forward to seeing all the seasons, i heard it's pretty good throughout.
If you're enjoying season 1, universally considered to be the series' weakest season, then you're in for a treat and you'd probably be pleased to hear that the dialogue is consistently top notch throughout the whole series.

Will you be trying out Angel too?

kiiltz

i dont know lol he doesn't really impress me but i've heard great things about that show. we'll see.
Angel in Buffy is pretty lame because for the most part his character revolves around her (or rather, the Angel/Buffy relationship ended up becoming too big for the show itself). Without giving away too much spoilers, him having his own show allowed him to step out from Buffy's shadow and realize the potential depth the character always had. It also moved on to an overarching series plot format rather than the typical seasonal big bad that Buffy was known for. I actually by far and large prefer Buffy but I think Angel arguably has the better character development (which actually makes sense giving the whole theme of that show).

Who woulda thought that Alyson Hanigan would age the best and have the best career post Buffy........

She must have had some sort of voodoo because Willow kept winning since 1997.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
saw the one last night where they were all trapped in some kid's coma nightmare. it was pretty rad. cool to see Buffy as a vampire!

Top Bottom