• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Series Reboot With Black Lead In Works From Monica Owusu-Breen & Joss Whedon

BraveOne

Denial of what? You already agreed with me. that the wil be hold up to an impossible standard the new show will never be able to reach. So yeah the actress who ever is stupid enough to take the role will be destroyed career wise of course.

Gaf has some remarkable threads .. one that sticks out is the the reaction thread to when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker.

Pay it a visit so you can see why I've always taken a wait and see angle when a new show has been announced

Dunki

Gaf has some remarkable threads .. one that sticks out is the the reaction thread to when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker.

Pay it a visit so you can see why I've always taken a wait and see angle when a new show has been announced
This is a total different matter. IT was at a time in which people did not thought much of a new Batman movie. We are now talking about a legacy which was running for 7 seasons whcih became an icon and instant classic of its time. This show has so many memories because of its characters. To replace ANYONE of them will be impossible. What they should have done is a new slayer at a total different place to a total different time. This will not work out and probably end like Ghostbusters.

Even more interesting you will now face even a Feminist ICON. Not some white actress. But if you are ok putting so much on a prob new black actress then have fun

Lanrutcon

The setting would allow for a different slayer's story in another town/city. No need to reboot things. I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as they don't go all DC on the franchise.

Papa

Banned
601.gif

I've said my peace I'm just watching y'all in denial

Pretending that your peace [sic] wasn’t thoroughly refuted and you’re now sneering because you have nothing left.

🤣🤣🤣

Dunki

The setting would allow for a different slayer's story in another town/city. No need to reboot things. I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as they don't go all DC on the franchise.
Exactly also I am pretty sure there was some part with other slayers and they also had a black slayer from another town. This is how it would be totally fine for many people but replacing buffy will not go over well.

Also let us not forget that Whedon was also accused of sexual harassment during his Buffy time as well. So yeah wrong director, wrong setting and wrong or pandering message.

BraveOne

This is a total different matter. IT was at a time in which people did not thought much of a new Batman movie. We are now talking about a legacy which was running for 7 seasons whcih became an icon and instant classic of its time. This show has so many memories because of its characters. To replace ANYONE of them will be impossible. What they should have done is a new slayer at a total different place to a total different time. This will not work out and probably end like Ghostbusters.

Even more interesting you will now face even a Feminist ICON. Not some white actress. But if you are ok putting so much on a prob new black actress then have fun

Haha nothing is more true then what I said heck these decade old comments show nothing really changes , I'll hold my reservation and judgement untill Ep 1 drops

On Gaf and other similar message boards, full of guys in their late teens/early 20s with tunnel vision, spending the day posting as if they know so much more than professionals with years of expertise in their respective work fields. This bullshit is already going down in the Watchmen trailer thread

This thread is everything that's wrong with the internet. Too many people who feel the need to share opinions that suck and then the hivemind decides to follow them

How history repeats

Dunki

Figures speak for them self and so does reality you're getting a black Buffy deal with it
Look I am not the person who will say oh my childhood but people lie Anita will. This buffy will last like a season IMO and than never again. You can not destroy the legacy of Buffy but you can destroy the career of people working on the reboot. Also I thin its funny tha you are using Anita gifs while she is also totally against this reboot XD

Last edited:

BraveOne

Also I thin its funny tha you are using Anita gifs while she is also totally against this reboot XD

Thats why I used it specifically. But look in 2 years time when the show airs let's revisit this moment and see who comes out on top

Dacon

Banned
Eh the problem is no one simply says "cool" to the first example, because even when no one involved in a project says anything about "social justice" idiots will still cry about the "agenda" being pushed.

Quite simply many people just really don't like POC occupying these spaces, even if these studios create new franchises a high number of idiots still cry about "pandering" and the like. There literally is no approach that doesn't result in basement dwellers crying about these things, so at some point it becomes pointless for companies to be contortionists to make them happy.

I'm black(and mixed with a few other races) and I think this shit is fucking stupid. I despise this pathetic attempt at pandering to minorities like this. Not only does it send the message that the only good black character is a white character palette swapped like a fucking mortal kombat ninja, it's lazy and uninteresting.

How much cooler would it be to have a show about another Slayer in the same world in a completely different setting? She could be anything and the potential would be endless. Yet instead, we're going to basically make a completely new character with the Buffy legacy slapped onto her, forever shackling her to constant comparisons to the original, which she will never be able to live up to, inevitably hampering the amount of interest people can develop in this new project.

A black Buffy? Fucking boring. How about something completely new inspired by the worlds and concepts of in the Buffyverse? No instead let's blatantly try and ride on the coattails of the success of the previous installments in this franchise rather than take any risks. It's insulting to me as both a fan and person. Regardless of how inane I think the concept of "representation" is, I take issue with this primarily from a creative standpoint. \

Whedon is very obviously desperate to be relevant again (not to mention redeem his reputation) and seems to think exploiting Buffy to get there is the key, and it's just sad imo.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I'm black(and mixed with a few other races) and I think this shit is fucking stupid. I despise this pathetic attempt at pandering to minorities like this. Not only does it send the message that the only good black character is a white character palette swapped like a fucking mortal kombat ninja, it's lazy and uninteresting.

How much cooler would it be to have a show about another Slayer in the same world in a completely different setting? She could be anything and the potential would be endless. Yet instead, we're going to basically make a completely new character with the Buffy legacy slapped onto her, forever shackling her to constant comparisons to the original, which she will never be able to live up to, inevitably hampering the amount of interest people can develop in this new project.

A black Buffy? Fucking boring. How about something completely new inspired by the worlds and concepts of in the Buffyverse? No instead let's blatantly try and ride on the coattails of the success of the previous installments in this franchise rather than take any risks. It's insulting to me as both a fan and person. Regardless of how inane I think the concept of "representation" is, I take issue with this primarily from a creative standpoint. \

Whedon is very obviously desperate to be relevant again (not to mention redeem his reputation) and seems to think exploiting Buffy to get there is the key, and it's just sad imo.

Knocked it outta the park mate

Dunki

Exactly. Let get the chance to build her own legacy. This just seems lazy and boring as well. I am really tired of all this gender and race switching. It just shows how lazy these people have become.

Spheyr

Banned
You can clearly tell who watched/remembers Buffy, and who is just complaining just to complain. I feel like half of you wouldn't have liked Buffy or Angel when it aired.
I didn't like it, or Charmed, or any other shitty WB show.

Ironically I watch all the doofy shows the CW puts out today.

Dunki

This. I find it amusing that people whine about social justice politics etc while holding some views that once were considered as such.
I will say it again. To compare Buffy's social justice with the one today is ridiculous. Stuff they have shown in there would not fly today anymore. Buffy's outfits alone would not go well with "feminists" her language. People like Zander who not have a place there anymore. Buffy was if even social justice on a normal level a level most people will agree on. The relationship between Tara and Willow for example felt real. There was no pandering. It was a diverse show that again was not pandering to anyone. There were cruel jokes in, rape like scenarios, toxic relationships between Buffy and Spike for example. Stuff like this would not be ok anymore in this current climate.

example this was a sexscene in the end.

bsr-600x400.jpg

Last edited:

Denton

This. I find it amusing that people whine about social justice politics etc while holding some views that once were considered to be social justice politics
Here's a hint - people are generally for social justice. Just not for social justice that goes into retardo territory.

Last edited:
I will say it again. To compare Buffy's social justice with the one today is ridiculous. Stuff they have shown in there would not fly today anymore. Buffy's outfits alone would not go well with "feminists" her language. People like Zander who not have a place there anymore. Buffy was if even social justice on a normal level a level most people will agree on. The relationship between Tara and Willow for example felt real. There was no pandering.
"Pandering" is an empty word you just use to justify your opionion. If Buffy aired today in the same manner you would accuse the writers to "pander" to SJW like you do every time (Just look at the gaming side an Naughty Dogs).

Dunki

"Pandering" is an empty word you just use to justify your opionion. If Buffy aired today in the same manner you would accuse the writers to "pander" to SJW like you do every time (Just look at the gaming side an Naughty Dogs).
No I would not. Because again it does not fit into todays social justice level. would be celebrating this show for not pandering to the current climate. To take risks to not being afraid for shocking scenes, topics like an abusing relationship etc. which was not handled as a black and white thing. As for Naughty Dog. I think I explained myself pretty clear it was never the kiss. It was never only one thing it was the whole situation and how they selfpicked a racist and hetero phobic person to begin with.

kunonabi

We saw a shit load about Black Panther though, complete with "they already have blade." We saw people crying for simply having POC characters in movies even when their race was never brought up within the confines of the movie (Star Wars) people literally complain about ANYTHING that deviates from their sense of the "norm" and they feel roles are being taken away. It'd be hard to complain about Luke Cage since being black is a central pillar of his character (always funny how most comic book black characters only exist specifically because of their blackness...). Personally I completely get why they're calling it Buffy. Buffy as a franchise is still popular so using the name to bring back interest is smart from a marketing standpoint versus trying to market a new character within a franchise that hasn't been on air in like 20 years.

It'd be interesting from a marketing standpoint how you inform viewers it's part of the Buffy world. Like do you call it "Alexis - The Slayer" with the subtitle "Part of the Buffy Universe."?

Hell Whedon said something similar about Faith spin off after Eliza finished Dollhouse, so much time had passed that it would be hard to market "Faith" and to let people know she was of the Buffy universe to the broader audience. This is why spinoff shows always launch either right after the mainshow is over or along side it to use the popularity of the main show using the mainshow as the springboard (Buffy -> Angel)

The blade thing was more a response to the narrative that it would prove to Hollywood that a movie of that kind could sell. It wasnt about black people not needing more than one superhero on screen ever. The Finn stuff had nothing to do with having a black character in SW it was about a black stormtrooper not making any sense based off the previous films which stopped being an issue once the film provided the context for it.

I was sort of pissed with Finn personally during the lead up to release because I was looking forward to Rey being the lead and marketing completely sidelined her. Of course than the movie actually came out and Finn was the only thing in that shitshow I actually liked.

Maybe there some fringe cases and non-fan trolls that were pissed like you say but they weren't really representative of the fanbases at all.

You're exaggerating how much liberal politics dominated the show and honestly it only became an issue with the storytelling during the last three seasons when Marti Noxon and the writers started throwing everybody under the bus because they stopped caring about anybody other than Willow. Regardles, there is a distinct difference to how writers approach political issues in older media compared today. It used to be that such things were handled through themes and subtext whereas now you just have them as text where stories come to a dead stop as writers just use characters as mouth pieces to regurgitate talking points as bluntly as possible with no real purpose.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

giphy.gif

I didn't like it, or Charmed, or any other shitty WB show.

Ironically I watch all the doofy shows the CW puts out today.

Same here, lol. iZombie is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think its going to suck because the plot is probably laced with social justice politics.

And this is why they should make the lead actress black and anything not white. The show will fail because there will be too many people that feel this way.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Gotta love the thinking that goes along with this race swapping stuff. It is so backwards and deeply racist, yet the usual suspects come out to defend it as the greatest thing ever. It is like some sick cynical comedy.

Lets take a popular character, and just change their race to tell basically the same story since we can't make a popular minority character. But you can't just switch the race, you have to make them a stereotypical minority. Neo-blaxploitation.

lol, the deployment "Neo-blaxploitation."

I'm quite fascinated that there's 100 years of literature on racial dynamics in the US, but yall don't care unless its about you.

The influence of blaxploitation film is much more nuanced than to simply throw it out there as an always already pejorative.

"Neo-blaxploitation" would be something like Luke Cage, or Straight Out of Compton; the key evolutionary difference here is that there is much more agency available in the production of black performativity than there was in the 1970s. Blaxploitation served to meet the "expectations" of the audience to portray what they believed blackness to be. Now, blackness is what it is.

Black people have much more buying power that counts as a "vote" in what does or does not become reified as quality. See: Girl's Trip (especially its comparison to Rough Night.)

Cybrwzrd

Banned
lol, the deployment "Neo-blaxploitation."

I'm quite fascinated that there's 100 years of literature on racial dynamics in the US, but yall don't care unless its about you.

The influence of blaxploitation film is much more nuanced than to simply throw it out there as an always already pejorative.

"Neo-blaxploitation" would be something like Luke Cage, or Straight Out of Compton; the key evolutionary difference here is that there is much more agency available in the production of black performativity than there was in the 1970s. Blaxploitation served to meet the "expectations" of the audience to portray what they believed blackness to be. Now, blackness is what it is.

Black people have much more buying power that counts as a "vote" in what does or does not become reified as quality. See: Girl's Trip (especially its comparison to Rough Night.)

Technically Luke Cage is just plain old 70's Blaxploitation. The character was literally made to capitalize on the popularity of Blaxploitation at the time. Straight Outta Compton is an autobiographical drama that tells the story of the early years of N.W.A. That isn't Blaxploitation.

"Blackness" isn't a thing. Nor is "Whiteness", or "Pinkpolkadotness". It is absurd to think that skin color defines your culture.

NickFire

My two cents is they should refrain from discussing the show's direction until they have a basic script locked down. Much more likely to result in people judging the story on its merits than judging the story before it is written.

Filben

Some people see agendas everywhere. I was never interested in Buffy back then and won't be in the future. Skin color or any 'agenda' will not change that.

Tbh it just sounds to me like this is a way for companies to justify making reboots of their IPs now that its starting to become a dirty word. Used to be people would watch something for the name alone but they've gone back to the well one too many times on that and now have to find a hook to get people to keep tuning in to the same old thing. That's why they would rather reboot it with a black protagonist rather than make a continuation or a new series. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is a known quantity, people will tune in regardless of quality so the only trick is getting new viewers. "(Insert new name here) the Vampire Slayer is a risk that doesn't automatically carry the fanbase along with it.

Gotta love the thinking that goes along with this race swapping stuff. It is so backwards and deeply racist, yet the usual suspects come out to defend it as the greatest thing ever. It is like some sick cynical comedy.

Lets take a popular character, and just change their race to tell basically the same story since we can't make a popular minority character. But you can't just switch the race, you have to make them a stereotypical minority. Neo-blaxploitation.
What was stopping Disney from not casting a white to play as Nick Fury? Or Idris Elda as Heimdall? Or Having Guy Pearce as the Mandarin before (I guess) during a 180? None of these should be justified then,

Last edited:

NickFire

Some people see agendas everywhere. I was never interested in Buffy back then and won't be in the future. Skin color or any 'agenda' will not change that.
Well, to be fair the only things we know at the moment are that they want to be diverse and that they do not have an actual script yet. Can't really deny they have some sort of an agenda, but at the same time I think its jumping the gun to accuse them of making their stated agenda the focus of the show. They did say they are going to build on the mythology after all, which suggests to me the next slayer will be a new character whether she is named Buffy or not. Way to early to assume this will end like Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters reboot did not exactly build on existing mythology.

Technically Luke Cage is just plain old 70's Blaxploitation. The character was literally made to capitalize on the popularity of Blaxploitation at the time. Straight Outta Compton is an autobiographical drama that tells the story of the early years of N.W.A. That isn't Blaxploitation.

"Blackness" isn't a thing. Nor is "Whiteness", or "Pinkpolkadotness". It is absurd to think that skin color defines your culture.

Luke Cage was created as a blaxploitation character, correct. However, my reference to the character was toward the Netflix series, that is based upon his re-imagining with the New Avengers.

Just as we might be re-imagining Buffy here.

You said neo-blaxploitation, which is why Straight Outta Compton qualifies, as it comes from the tradition of films like A Rage in Harlem, Boyz N the Hood, and Juice.

You were starting to make progress, but then you seem to hit a double-think ideological snag with

"Race swapping is blaxploitation. Racism!"

"Blackness isn't a thing."

And contradict yourself. Like, you can't say "whiteness isn't a thing" and then talk knowledgeably about blaxploitation film, let alone films (or TV shows) that are intentionally cast as predominantly black, to tell black stories (in contrast to a show like The Office or a movie like Rough Night, which might be unintentionally cast as predominantly white, because whiteness is the status quo).

I feel like you're not being intentionally contrarian, but that there are some gaps in your knowledge on the topic. So once that ends, you fall back on conservative ideological underpinnings.

I pulled this one from my own collection just for you. It is the most seminal text on BLACKNESS as portrayed in film, from Birth of a Nation to Malcolm X.

AP6nujD.jpg

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What was stopping Disney from not casting a white to play as Nick Fury? Or Idris Elda as Heimdall? Or Having Guy Pearce as the Mandarin before (I guess) during a 180? None of these should be justified then,

That is kind of different. You are missing the key point of what I am saying - "You can't just switch the race, you have to make them a stereotypical minority."

Samuel L Jackson just plays Nick Fury. His skin color doesn't define him. Same with Idris Elba. He is just Heimdall. That type of change is perfectly fine. The established character didn't change. I have no issue changing race if the established character doesn't change. That isn't what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
And contradict yourself. Like, you can't say "whiteness isn't a thing" and then talk knowledgeably about blaxploitation film, let alone films (or TV shows) that are intentionally cast as predominantly black, to tell black stories (in contrast to a show like The Office or a movie like Rough Night, which might be unintentionally cast as predominantly white, because whiteness is the status quo).

Blaxplotation was literally an amalgam of stereotypes - many negative- about black people made into film, that ironically helped to shape culture over the next few decades. Nothing helps to cement that stereotype of black people dealing drugs, smoking dope and being involved in violence than movies glorifying it.

Do you know why The Office is cast predominately white? It takes place in Scranton, PA, a city with a whopping 85% white population. The show fairly accurately reflects suburban US demographics, and the type of people working in these places. It is also based on a British comedy of the same name and director. The show isn't predominately white because it is miscast, it is predominantly white because that is the reality of most small town offices across the US. It isn't about "whiteness" being the status quo.

Blaxplotation was literally an amalgam of stereotypes - many negative- about black people made into film, that ironically helped to shape culture over the next few decades. Nothing helps to cement that stereotype of black people dealing drugs, smoking dope and being involved in violence than movies glorifying it.

Do you know why The Office is cast predominately white? It takes place in Scranton, PA, a city with a whopping 85% white population. The show fairly accurately reflects suburban US demographics, and the type of people working in these places. It is also based on a British comedy of the same name and director. The show isn't predominately white because it is miscast, it is predominantly white because that is the reality of most small town offices across the US. It isn't about "whiteness" being the status quo.

I told you to read about a book about blaxploitation and you're still acting like you know what it is.

Did you also catch the social justice messages found in those films too?

As for The Office, you wrote a whole paragraph to say the same thing: status quo.

That is kind of different. You are missing the key point of what I am saying - You can't just switch the race, you have to make them a stereotypical minority.

Samuel L Jackson just plays Nick Fury. His skin color doesn't define him. Same with Idris Elba. He is just Heimdall. That type of change is perfectly fine. The established character didn't change. I have no issue changing race if the established character doesn't change. That isn't what I'm talking about.
So the characters Samuel Jackson and Idris Elda play are stereotypical minorities? And if there was a black buffy who was a stereotype black, you would be okay with that?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
So the characters Samuel Jackson and Idris Elda play are stereotypical minorities? And if there was a black buffy who was a stereotype black, you would be okay with that?

No - that is not what I am saying. Reread my other post. The problem is making them stereotypical.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I told you to read about a book about blaxploitation and you're still acting like you know what it is.

Did you also catch the social justice messages found in those films too?

As for The Office, you wrote a whole paragraph to say the same thing: status quo.

Well I guess if you think Black Power and Marxist underpinning is about social justice then we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think both Black Power and White Power ideologies are tribal destructive forces on society.

kunonabi

That is kind of different. You are missing the key point of what I am saying - "You can't just switch the race, you have to make them a stereotypical minority."

Black Fury is different than white Fury though and his charicterization in Winter Soldier has some beats that are pretty specific to him being black.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
maxresdefault.jpg
First Charmed and now Buffy
Charmed doesn't even make sense, they was Sisters now we have two mexican chicks and a black girl
I imagine Buffy will be the same.
I believe TV and Film was realistically diverse throughout the 90's/2000's, today everything is catered rather then diverse
If all they gonna do is remake everything but without white people, I don't know what to think tbh

^^ Jacksons Fury is The Nick Fury, thats a case of good character casting

Last edited:

kunonabi

maxresdefault.jpg
First Charmed and now Buffy
Charmed doesn't even make sense, they was Sisters now we have two mexican chick and a black girl
I imagine Buffy will be the same.
I believe TV and Film was realistically diverse throughout the 90's/2000's, today everything is catered rather then diverse
If all they gonna do is remake everything but without white people, I don't know what to think tbh

^^ Jacksons Fury is The Nick Fury, thats a case of good character casting

Yeah, the Fury thing is a special situation to begin with so he's the one bit of mcu race bending you cant really criticize.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Buffy's been off the air for over a decade. Sarah Michelle Gellar isn't acting anymore.

Y'all complaining about casting a black woman as Buffy probably wouldn't be complaining if she was white.

Top Bottom