• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I’m Retiring,’ Miyamoto Tells Staff - Moving On To Smaller Projects In Nintendo

DCharlie

Banned
I’m sorry that whatever I said has been somehow reported in a way which causes some misunderstanding. To make it very clear, I have no intention of retiring right now at all, and I do not think that I’m old enough to think about retiring anytime soon. The fact of the matter is I’ve been really enjoying working at the forefront of video game-making at Nintendo, but I cannot work forever, and the current system is that when people see Nintendo, in the current structure of development, people see me as the sole person responsible for the entire development of series. There are other young developers who are being supervised by me, but thinking in terms of the future, we need to increase the number of people who can take on more responsibilities and more important assignments other than myself. One way to express what I’m doing right now is to say that I’m inspiring younger generations to take more of a lead and more important assignments for themselves by saying get prepared for the time I need to retire. That’s what I really meant to say, and once again I’m sorry if there was some misunderstanding.

So ... this is almost the same as what he said in the first place and takes the "that's what i meant to say" - but i assume that Wired will -still- get the shit for this even though that's clearly not the case?

It's pretty clear to me this whole farce is he said what he said, and what he said was accurate. The word RETIRE was the only word a lot of people saw and was what they (and subsequently Markets) reacted to so now we have this clarification where he says the same thing sans "retire" :/

[Nintex]

To me it seems like Wired was right. Miyamoto is going to put his focus on smaller scale projects now, he's got limited time to work on things so he can't really train young employees and supervise Mario and Zelda at the same time. Aonuma telling us he wanted to make Zelda 'his' series and supervising the history book kinda show this as well. Nintendo just doesn't want the message out there that "gasp" Miyamoto might be less involved with Mario and Zelda in the future.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wired posted a very poignant interview. It is the short attention span and reading comprehension of the internet that created some monster. And then those same people start pointing the finger and wired? It baffles me how the internet mob works sometimes.

Thread is weird. Not going to read through all of this but it sounds like good news. Will be interesting to see what he makes. Shares dropping over this news is insane. Fucking speculating sons of bitches.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
[Nintex];33728294 said:
To me it seems like Wired was right. Miyamoto is going to put his focus on smaller scale projects now, he's got limited time to work on things so he can't really train young employees and supervise Mario and Zelda at the same time. Aonuma telling us he wanted to make Zelda 'his' series and supervising the history book kinda show this as well. Nintendo just doesn't want the message out there that "gasp" Miyamoto might be less involved with Mario and Zelda in the future.

Miyamoto admits in that same interview, "people assume he is the guy making the games nowadays" but it really is a new generation of staffers with their own producers now (Aonumas, Konnos, Eguchis, Koizumis, etc).

Furthermore, Miyamoto makes it clear that he basically wants to train the next-generation of producers at Nintendo. Probably through a smaller division starting with downloadable games? But eitherway, I don't think it is Miyamoto's intent to design games as much as it is work with smaller younger teams on new types of projects.

Cipherr

[Nintex];33728294 said:
Nintendo just doesn't want the message out there that "gasp" Miyamoto might be less involved with Mario and Zelda in the future.

I don't think its that. Nintendo has kept no secrets about who has been at the helm of recent Zelda games. I think they don't want the message that he is retiring soon to get out. And in his new statement, he made it extremely clear that while he obviously cannot work forever, he isn't planning to retire soon at all.

Their 'damage control' had fuck all to do with folks finding out Aonuma had ran Zelda recently, shit they have Iwata asks columns that announce that to the world. What they didn't want people thinking was that Miyamoto had one foot out the door already. That seems extremely easy to follow, no clue why so many people are having trouble grasping that.

wrowa

Pretty sad that Miyamoto is doubly sorry about the "misunderstanding" instead the Wired staff responsible for willfully blowing it out of proportion.

But that's not what Wired did. Other publications immediately started reporting that Miyamoto will retire, but that's not what Wired wrote at all. They didn't say that Miyamoto will retire, but that he wants to focus on smaller games from now on, instead of supervising every single game -- and that's exactly what he said in that interview.

Datschge

But that's not what Wired did. Other publications immediately started reporting that Miyamoto will retire, but that's not what Wired wrote at all. They didn't say that Miyamoto will retire, but that he wants to focus on smaller games from now on, instead of supervising every single game -- and that's exactly what he said in that interview.

Modern "journalism" works by wording titles in such a way people notice them, often by taking details from the article itself out of context in a way that is blowing an issue out of proportion (since that's what makes people notice a headline to begin with). This is a practice I find devious so publications which make use of that (often enough it's not even the author of the article itself doing it but some SEO staff) deserve all the blame for it. Wired released a summary of a not yet published interview focusing on such a detail which then got picked up everywhere else through above mechanism. (I honestly don't know what to think about such interview "preview", they usually always are misleading themselves in some way.)

Modern "journalism" works by wording titles in such a way people notice them, often by taking details from the article itself out of context in a way that is blowing an issue out of proportion (since that's what makes people notice a headline to begin with). This is a practice I find devious so publications which make use of that (often enough it's not even the author of the article itself doing it but some SEO staff) deserve all the blame for it. Wired released a summary of a not yet published interview focusing on such a detail which then got picked up everywhere else through above mechanism. (I honestly don't know what to think about such interview "preview", they usually always are misleading themselves in some way.)
Yup. Wired pushed it as he was retiring, not with the complete truth.

apana

Well he is retiring from his current job, of course he will never actually leave Nintendo. Even if he were to give up all his responsibilities and tell the company he never wants to work again they would probably still keep paying him and tell him he can show up to work whenever he likes. They'd probably pay him to hang out in his office and just play all day.

luca1980

Banned
Miyamoto imho already left the reins to anonuma and co. There are lots of parts of skyward sword which i am sure he did not play or else he list his touch because they are really boring and poorly designed.

Top Bottom