• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Surfinn

Yeah it was a really bad episode. Also with you on the garbage people...they are just terrible.

I mean at least they're trying something different than the typical horribly acted/run of the mill baddies they run into but this is pretty bad. I guess you can say it's original?

SDCowboy

I'm sorry but the second half of this season just flat out sucks. It's goofy, seems totally toned down violence and intensity wise, and it just feels like it's going nowhere. Negan is the only thing saving this season, and he's barely even been on the second half.

If this second half is the tone the show is taking from here on, I may be done.

SDCowboy

Considering they content they've been pumping out weekly, I don't get why they'd need to feel the need to save money. I mean the vast majority of the show now is people talking and walking.

For being the biggest show on cable TV, it really doesn't feel like they have a big budget at all. But they must.. right?

So true. The show is seriously starting to feel like a soap opera now.

I'm sorry but the second half of this season just flat out sucks. It's goofy, seems totally toned down violence and intensity wise, and it just feels like it's going nowhere. Negan is the only thing saving this season, and he's barely even been on the second half.

If this second half is the tone the show is taking from here on, I may be done.
I've been on the fence this entire season. Which is something I never imagined would happen with The Walking Dead

Flavius

Finally, a good episode last week...then this boring-ass, painfully obvious "furthering the plot" episode with shitty acting (looking at you, Christian Serratos) and good actors phoning it in (Andrew & Danai). Or perhaps they were just that uninspired by the horrid writing.

I know it will pay off with something very exciting, eventually, but man...the lows in this show are such a fucking drag.

Just give me Eugene & Neegan for the rest of the season, please.

SDCowboy

I've been on the fence this entire scene. Which is something I never imagined would happen with The Walking Dead

I mean, I don't know what the reasoning is for the tonal change in the show, but it's just getting beyond boring. It's campy, goofy, lets talk about our emotions while we wonder around, garbage.

Heck, in this episode, did you notice even almost all of the zombie killing was either just implied, or off screen?

SDCowboy

Finally, a good episode last week...then this boring-ass, painfully obvious "furthering the plot" episode with shitty acting (looking at you, Christian Serratos) and good actors phoning it in (Andrew & Danai). Or perhaps they were just that uninspired by the horrid writing.

I know it will pay off with something very exciting, eventually, but man...the lows in this show are such a fucking drag.

Just give me Eugene & Neegan for the rest of the season, please.

Agreed. We finally get an episode that feels like TWD again, and then it's back to a goofy, laughing, walking around and talking episode.

I mean, I don't know what the reasoning is for the tonal change in the show, but it's just getting beyond boring. It's campy, goofy, lets talk about our emotions while we wonder around, garbage.

Heck, in this episode, did you notice even almost all of the zombie killing was either just implied, or off screen?
I brought it up last page. It's even more noticeable when you go watch episodes from past seasons

Agreed. We finally get an episode that feels like TWD again, and then it's back to a goofy, laughing, walking around and talking episode.
Clear was this episode done much better

The whole scavenging run plot can be fun and exciting, and has been in other episodes, but this wasn't that

SDCowboy

I brought it up last page. It's even more noticeable when you go watch episodes from past seasons

I'm starting to wonder if this second half is possibly in response to the folks who couldn't handle the violence of the first half (and end of last season). It's like the show has suddenly morphed into a PG soap opera.

I'm starting to wonder if this second half is in response to the folks who couldn't handle the violence of the first half (and end of last season). It's like the show has suddenly morphed into a PG soap opera.
It was. Gale Anne Hurd said they toned down the violence in the second half in response to that, but then Nicotero and Gimple rushed to say that they didn't

SDCowboy

It was. Gale Anne Hurd said they toned down the violence in the second half in response to that, but then Nicotero and Gimple rushed to say that they didn't

Good grief. Well hopefully they return to the grittiness that made the show great, next season, because this is awful.

Jay Sosa

man that Eugene episode..

when the cheesy music came on when he did his McGyver shit..easily the best episode this season.

Last episode was alright, but man, what happened to the special effects, that deer looked horrible.

Garbage episode. They really do have a talent of stretching a 5 minute plot into an entire episode. The Rick fake out was hilariously awful.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
man that Eugene episode..

when the cheesy music came on when he did his McGyver shit..easily the best episode this season.

Last episode was alright, but man, what happened to the special effects, that deer looked horrible.

There has been a lot of mediocre green screen this season. Like when Rick was at the top of Up Up Up and looked out over the junkyard. Also, I never want to type Up Up Up again after this post.

Jay Sosa

There has been a lot of mediocre green screen this season. Like when Rick was at the top of Up Up Up and looked out over the junkyard. Also, I never want to type Up Up Up again after this post.

oh, no doubt (I think I even mentioned that in my rant 2 weeks ago)..but that deer was something else.

is the shows resolution 720p? lot of things looked blurry this episode.

maybe its my hopper - even though i have it set to 1080p/i output, it wouldnt matter if the source is lower.

Does everyone else think that the final showdown with Negan and the group attacking their base may be pushed back til next season? Worried that the season will end on a cliffhanger or Rick saying 'Let's go' or something....

Also, hope the next episode Rosita is in is her last: holy hell has her shtick gotten old and annoying...

Does everyone else think that the final showdown with Negan and the group attacking their base may be pushed back til next season? Worried that the season will end on a cliffhanger or Rick saying 'Let's go' or something....

Also, hope the next episode Rosita is in is her last: holy hell has her shtick gotten old and annoying...

i bet itll be negan catching them off guard putting them on their knees again or something. there always has to be some type of crazy climatic cliffhanger and i think that would be something good in order to jump start things with them attacking. or maybe one where carol goes undercover and takes everyone out at the saviors headquaters.

there's definitely not enough time this season I don't think to have the full epic fight arc take place. I think it will be the shit just popped off for real and there's no going back type of season finale.

Jay Sosa

I do hope we get to enjoy Negan at least one more season tbh. And stop hating on Rosita. Tera is way more terrible.

Flavius

Final showdown? I can't fathom that happening this season. We have four more episodes, right? Looks like Carol is back in next episode. We need to get Ezekiel and the Kingdom on board, get more guns for weirdo junkyard peeps join in (does the Kingdom supply the necessary guns?), figure out how the hell things are going to play out with Oceanside, and figure out Eugene's play from within the Saviors at minimum, I think.

Tall order. I think we'll see at least some of those groups come together by the finale for their first organized skirmish with Negan. I don't follow any blogs or read any spoilers, so if I'm foolish and way off base here, be gentle please. :p

there's definitely not enough time this season I don't think to have the fill epic fight arc take place. I think it will be the shit just popped off for real and there's no going back type of season finale.

Yep. Agreed.

I do hope we get to enjoy Negan at least one more season tbh. And stop hating on Rosita. Tera is way more terrible.

Tera's character has gotten far less annoying since her introduction, though. I thought Rosita started off well -- a badass who didn't talk much. Unfortunately (and to be fair to Christian), I can't think of many actors who could pull off what they are asking her to do in terms of script. Personally, I don't feel like it's a natural evolution of her character at all. She loved Abraham, yes, and Neegan brutally murdered him. But Abraham also betrayed her, and she is allied with the other woman. I think her response would actually be very similar to what Sasha went through (brilliantly acted, by the way) after her love interest died, but it seems like either the writers didn't want to go back to that well again (understandable), or didn't think she had the chops to pull it off.

My main gripe with last nights episode was when the walker got his gun jammed and started firing it didn't attract any walkers to it. Anyone else shooting a gun would have been swarmed because of the noise . Instead they go for the car,

Lorcain

They're not really in the zombie apocalypse, the deer was a glitch in the Matrix. Rick and the deer bugged out when the zombies swarmed, teleporting Rick into the box. The junkyard is a glitch too. The AI code was never fully written for the NPCs there, so they talk like toddlers.

Jay Sosa

Tera's character has gotten far less annoying since her introduction, though. I thought Rosita started off well -- a badass who didn't talk much. Unfortunately (and to be fair to Christian), I can't think of many actors who could pull off what they are asking her to do in terms of script. Personally, I don't feel like it's a natural evolution of her character at all. She loved Abraham, yes, and Neegan brutally murdered him. But Abraham also betrayed her, and she is allied with the other woman. I think her response would actually be very similar to what Sasha went through (brilliantly acted, by the way) after her love interest died, but it seems like either the writers didn't want to go back to that well again (understandable), or didn't think she had the chops to pull it off.

Oh, ok. Fair enough. I kinda enjoy her pissy, 'fuck everyone' attitude. And I don't think that her actress is doing that bad of a job (especially compared to other people on this show). But seems like she's going to be written out of the show anyway...

Surfinn

It's weird to see people say there's no time to do the Negan showdown when the majority of the show is filler and minor plot details stretched into full episodes.

Not sure if I can take another season and a half of Negan and co.'s antics.

It's weird to see people say there's no time to do the Negan showdown when the majority of the show is filler and minor plot details stretched into full episodes.

Not sure if I can take another season and a half of Negan and co.'s antics.

All out action will be the final EP of the season. With the action concluding at the start.

Think that's what happens with Terminus also.

They still gottah have dialogues for Carl development after him being away. They got to have an ep with the women village. A separate ep for Tara or whoever going to star trek getting killed off.

Then the finale of it going all out with the wrap up on the start of season 8.

border

It's just embarassing that they spent the whole episode trying to find enough guns for the Garbage People, but even after they find a shitload of guns the Garbage Lady says "Not enough, we need more". So now we have to endure at least 2 more episodes of them trying to find guns. The writers are so obviously stalling for more time and are completely shameless about it. It's the television narrative equivalent of "Sorry, but the Princess is in another castle."

I almost would have preferred it if they had discovered that all the soldiers' guns were inoperable or had no available ammo. At least that would have seemed a little less transparent.

As a side note though, I actually like how stupid and corny the Garbage People are. I would prefer that the show stay very comic book-y and pulpy, rather than being so incredibly self-serious.

What an atrocious episode. Completely indefensible and that's coming from someone who can stomach the most slow-paced of episodes. Those garbage people are the WORST. It sucks we'll have to tolerate them for fuck knows how many more episodes.

bidguy

Banned
this is what happens when you pander to mainstream media. they cried "violence" in a zombie show and now we are stuck with offscreen zombie kills and what happened to the golfing saviors ? did they steal their stuff or kill them ?

number11

It sucks that I spent so many hours watching this show.. but after reading people's reactions, I have no motivation to catch up with this season.

JoeNut

why can't the scavengers talk english?!?! it's so weird.

Pretty average episode, i didn't hate it like you guys though, you're all so harsh i wonder why you're still watching

It's like the writers are trying their best to make the characters look as stupid as possible.
Here i am with 10 walkers to kill. Oh, wait, there's a deer. Heeeeeere deery deery. Oh, let me climb this giant wheel so i can see it better. Damn, this deer really looks bad. Oops, i'm falling and probably gonna die.

Please... i'm not even sure why i keep watching this :(

sinkfla87

I've been so busy with work that I couldn't watch the episode when it aired like I normally do, or at least directly after air time. After all I'm reading in this thread, should I just forgo it completely and wait until next week? Haha. Sounds like another "Oh fuck how many episodes did we agree to, again? Start filming something now!" episode by everyone's description.

Solo

Another garbage filler episode. It felt like a stock fetch quest from a shitty RPG. Collect 60 guns for me. Now, go collect 60 more to unlock your trophy.

RangerX

Banned
I quite enjoyed this episode. There was some good character moments and nice zombie action. That junkyard group are still completely awful though. They just don't make sense.

Top Bottom