• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Whitening’ the Résumé

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tahani Tompkins was struggling to get callbacks for job interviews in the Chicago area this year when a friend made a suggestion: Change your name. Instead of Tahani, a distinctively African-American-sounding name, she began going by T. S. Tompkins in applications.

Yvonne Orr, also searching for work in Chicago, removed her bachelor’s degree from Hampton University, a historically black college, leaving just her master’s degree from Spertus Institute, a Jewish school. She also deleted a position she once held at an African-American nonprofit organization and rearranged her references so the first people listed were not black.

The dueling forces of assimilation and diversity have long battled for primacy in the American experience, most acutely among African-Americans. It’s not clear that assimilation has gained an edge here in the waning days of the decade, but the women’s behavior — “whitening” the résumé — is certainly not isolated. Ms. Tompkins and Ms. Orr were among the more than two dozen college-educated blacks interviewed for an article about racial disparities in hiring published last week on the front page of The New York Times. A half-dozen said they had taken steps to hide their race, or at least dial back the level of “blackness” signaled in their résumés.

That seemed startling somehow, maybe because of the popular perception that affirmative action still confers significant advantages to black job candidates, a perception that is not borne out in studies. Moreover, statistics show even college-educated blacks suffering disproportionately in this jobless environment compared with whites, as that article reported.

But if playing down blackness is a common strategy born of necessity, perceived or real, it still takes a psychic toll, maybe a greater one now, as people calibrate identity more carefully.

“I wrestled with it a great deal,” said Ms. Orr, who has worked for 15 years in fund-raising for nonprofits. “I wrestled with what kind of message I was sending to my children in raising them to be very proud of whom they are.”

There have been ebbs and flows, however, in the degree to which “blackness” has been aggressively celebrated by African-Americans. Ms. Orr’s parents were Black Panthers, part of the black power and black pride movement that came to the fore in the late 1960s. But even Ms. Orr’s mother, counseling her about her résumé, said, “You don’t need to shout out, ‘I’m black.’ ”

Most of those interviewed described their strategy as a way to eliminate one more potential obstacle that might keep them from at least getting the chance to make it to an interview so they could present their case in person. Experts said that course might be wise. Research has shown that applicants with black-sounding names get fewer callbacks than those with white-sounding names, even when they have equivalent credentials. Affirmative action programs in the private sector have largely receded since the early 1980s, replaced by a variety of diversity efforts rarely shown to be effective in raising minority representation.

“The average organization either doesn’t have diversity programs, or has the type that is not effective and can even lead to backlash,” said Alexandra Kalev, a University of Arizona sociologist who has studied such efforts. “So in the average organization, being black doesn’t help.”

Nevertheless, the strategy of hiding race — in particular changing names — can be soul-piercing. It prompted one African-American reader of the article to write that he was reminded of the searing scene in the groundbreaking TV miniseries “Roots” when the runaway slave Kunta Kinte is whipped until he declares that his name is Toby, the name given to him by his master.

Black job seekers said the purpose of hiding racial markers extended beyond simply getting in the door for an interview. It was also part of making sure they appeared palatable to hiring managers once race was seen. Activism in black organizations, even majoring in African-American studies can be signals to employers. Removing such details is all part of what Ms. Orr described as “calming down on the blackness.”

In “Covering: the Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights,” Kenji Yoshino, a law professor at New York University, wrote about this phenomenon not just among blacks but also other minority groups. “My notion of covering is really about the idea that people can have stigmatized identities that either they can’t or won’t hide but nevertheless experience a huge amount of pressure to downplay those identities,” he said. Mr. Yoshino says that progress in hiring has meant that “the line originally was between whites and nonwhites, favoring whites; now it’s whites and nonwhites who are willing to act white.”

John L. Jackson Jr., a professor of anthropology and communications at the University of Pennsylvania and author of “Racial Paranoia,” said he wondered about the “existential cost” of this kind of behavior, even if the adjustments were temporary and seem harmless.

“In some ways, they are denying who and what they are,” he said. “They almost have to pretend themselves away.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.html?_r=2

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I mean.. what exactly is their gameplan once they get an interview?

white-chicks.jpg

Well most white people don't know WTF Morehouse College is anyways so it hasn't really hurt me so far :lol Outside of that I don't have an ethnic sounding name thank God.

StoOgE said:
I mean.. what exactly is their gameplan once they get an interview?

Once you get to the door you at least have the chance to impress. If your resume gets tossed as soon as they see "Jamar Jenkins" you have no shot at all.

JCX

I was surprised when I read that story, since I thought it was common knowledge to exclude indicators of race and religion on applications. I've been doing that for a while.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MWS Natural said:
Well most white people don't know WTF Morehouse College is anyways so it hasn't really hurt me so far :lol Outside of that I don't have an ethnic sounding name thank God.
Unless they saw this.

drumline1.jpg

Edit: Shit, I misremembered the name of the other school in that movie.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
JCX said:
I was when I read that story, since I thought it was common knowledge to exclude indicators of race and religion on applications. I've been doing that for a while.
What if your college indicates your race, your name or your major?

eggandI

Banned
This isn't new. There was a study recently where it basically said that if you had a black sounding name you had a 50% lower chance of getting a callback. White privelage? Institutional racism? pfft! stop overreacting!!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I would like to think it's notable that, despite the individuals modifying their resume in the story linked from the OP, there wasn't any follow-up about their changes having any actual affect on whether they were being called back more frequently or not. It seems like a relatively headline-grabbing story with little substance behind it.

eggandi said:
This isn't new. There was a study recently where it basically said that if you had a black sounding name you had a 50% lower chance of getting a callback. White privelage? Institutional racism? pfft! stop overreacting!!

This extends to more than just blacks. I'd be willing to bet the impact is probably similar for non-European sounding names in general. I've personally witnessed subtle biases against people with Indian or Chinese names in recruiting.

Cyan

Banned
even majoring in African-American studies can be signals to employers.
Well... yeah. Might as well major in English.

Nerevar said:
I would like to think it's notable that, despite the individuals modifying their resume in the story linked from the OP, there wasn't any follow-up about their changes having any actual affect on whether they were being called back more frequently or not. It seems like a relatively headline-grabbing story with little substance behind it.
Yeah, I read through the whole thing looking for that. Was kind of disappointed there was no follow-up on that lede.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jethro
Billy Bob
Cletus
Junior
Otis
Cooter
Eustice

For some reason i dont think these were the "white" names used in the study. i may be wholly wrong but i feel this has to do more with class than race.

Gallbaro

Banned
eggandI said:

It is hardly institutional, there is no conspiracy out there to keep the black man down.

It is nothing more than preconceived notions which are reinforced by everything from myths, such as BET, thug life, rap, to facts such as incarceration and single parent rates (regardless of their causes and I am well aware these are cyclical problems). Which represent themselves in HR doing "cultural fit." as well as simply imagining working with said person, based on those preconceived notions.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to police instances such as those mentioned in the article.

And This.

Number 2 said:
Jethro
Billy Bob
Cletus
Junior
Otis
Cooter
Eustice

For some reason i dont think these were the "white" names used in the study. i may be wholly wrong but i feel this has to do more with class than race.

Tobor

Nerevar said:

This extends to more than just blacks. I'd be willing to bet the impact is probably similar for non-European sounding names in general. I've personally witnessed subtle biases against people with Indian or Chinese names in recruiting.
I guess the fact that they felt it was necessary at all is the story.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
wow.

It never occurred to me to do that. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Help me come up with some whiter names. I'm thinking about Larry.

Or Jim.

Jim Wakins errr Wilson

Number 2 said:
Jethro
Billy Bob
Cletus
Junior
Otis
Cooter
Eustice

So if someone has an ethnic sounding name they are from a lower class?

eggandI

Banned
Gallbaro said:
It is hardly institutional, there is no conspiracy out there to keep the black man down.

It is nothing more than preconceived notions which are reinforced by everything from myths, such as BET, thug life, rap, to facts such as incarceration and single parent rates (regardless of their causes and I am well aware these are cyclical problems). Which represent themselves in HR doing "cultural fit." as well as simply imagining working with said person, based on those preconceived notions.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to police instances such as those mentioned in the article.

And This.

Wasn't referring to this specific case. Heh preconceived notions otherwise known as prejudice or just outright racism. Don't beat around the bush.

Cyan

Banned
Tobor said:
I guess the fact that they felt it was necessary at all is the story.
Not much of a story. Since there's no follow up, we must assume that after changing their resumes, they still didn't get any call backs.

Shocking, in the current job environment.

Gallbaro

Banned
eggandI said:
Wasn't referring to this specific case. Heh preconceived notions otherwise known as prejudice or just outright racism. Don't beat around the bush.

Well then racism, or, as it is with this, gathering with those similar to you, is a human condition.

But I was just saying you are quite wrong in condemning it as institutional.

I still don't comprehend this retroactive faux-Africanism trend in naming.

Nearly every immigrant I know has adopted a Western name. Some get offended when you refer to them by their Polish names.

Difference being these are actual names from the culture, not some retard deciding to name her twins Aquafina and Dasani because dem purrrrrrdy names.

If you're going to do it, stop adding Le and Qua prefixes and suffixes to names and do some god damned leg work.

And then don't get pissed when folks pass over your resume.

eggandI

Banned
edit- ^^^ lol I have no words

Gallbaro said:
Well then racism, or, as it is with this, gathering with those similar to you, is a human condition.

But I was just saying you are quite wrong in condemning it as institutional.

1. I said I wasn't talking about this case but for all we know it could very well be meditated racism/institutional. It's not totally out of the picture but will we ever know for sure? No.

2. Haha no. Let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you honestly think these employers are turning down people with minority sounding names because of an innocent drive or some sort of human condition that they can't help, to be with their own and not ignorance/racism? And do you believe their prejudice is justified and that stereotyping every single minority applicant is a fair way of going about it?

Gallbaro

Banned
eggandI said:
edit- ^^^ lol I have no words

1. I said I wasn't talking about this case but for all we know it could very well be meditated racism/institutional. It's not totally out of the picture but will we ever know for sure? No.
Maybe I just have more faith in humanity, but I doubt it is corporate policy, real or implicit, to not hire people named Jamal, or Clayton, or Jesus, or insert random celebrity child name here.

eggandI said:
2. Haha no. Let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you honestly think these employers are turning down people with minority sounding names because of an innocent drive or some sort of human condition that they can't help, to be with their own and not ignorance/racism?
As I said before the thought process I probably not "Jamal is a black name, we do not want black people." It is probably a lesser form of racism of stereotypes linked with the name, "Jamal sounds like a gang banger (media taught me that), we don't hire gang bangers."
eggandI said:
And do you believe their prejudice is justified and that stereotyping every single minority applicant is a fair way of going about it?
Now you are implying that I am supportive of what I believe to be subconscious racism, and no I am not.

ToxicAdam

Nevertheless, the strategy of hiding race — in particular changing names — can be soul-piercing. It prompted one African-American reader of the article to write that he was reminded of the searing scene in the groundbreaking TV miniseries “Roots” when the runaway slave Kunta Kinte is whipped until he declares that his name is Toby, the name given to him by his master

I can just see the poor tormented soul at his keyboard with tears streaming down his face. Each press of the backspace key is like a whip across his back. :lol

Hyperbole FTL

eggandI

Banned
Gallbaro said:
Maybe I just have more faith in humanity, but I doubt it is corporate policy, real or implicit, to not hire people named Jamal, or Clayton, or Jesus, or insert random celebrity child name here.
Ah I don't. Either way, Institutional Racism nowhere near as outrageous as you or others might think it is.

As I said before the thought process I probably not "Jamal is a black name, we do not want black people." It is probably a lesser form of racism of stereotypes linked with the name, "Jamal sounds like a gang banger (media taught me that), we don't hire gang bangers."
That's just as ignorant and just as an idiotic thought process as the former and not much different. Won't you agree that someone who honestly believes all Jamals are scum gangsters would also be (have to be) a good deal of a racist overall? Media stupidity and bias is no excuse for one's own stupidity and ignorance.

Now you are implying that I am supportive of what I believe to be subconscious racism, and no I am not.
Naw not really. Just had to ask :)

harSon

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I still don't comprehend this retroactive faux-Africanism trend in naming.

Nearly every immigrant I know has adopted a Western name. Some get offended when you refer to them by their Polish names.

Difference being these are actual names from the culture, not some retard deciding to name her twins Aquafina and Dasani because dem purrrrrrdy names.

If you're going to do it, stop adding Le and Qua prefixes and suffixes to names and do some god damned leg work.

And then don't get pissed when folks pass over your resume.

You seem to be part of the problem. And was it really necessary to use Ebonics within your post? :lol

Fortunately, I have about as "White" a name as you can get. Unfortunately, it happens to be the same as a famous British Prime Minister (My account name should give you a hint), and I've been reminded of this shared name every phase of my life...

Vinsanity

Probably worked for Kal Penn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kal_Penn

"Modi says that he derived his acting name, Kal Penn, as a lark: “Almost as a joke to prove friends wrong, and half as an attempt to see if what I was told would work (that anglicized names appeal more to a white-dominated industry), I put ‘Kal Penn’ on my resume and photos." His audition callbacks rose by 50 percent. Modi has stated that he prefers his birth name and uses "Kal Penn" only for professional purposes."

Isn't this true of all non-standard names? I imagine names like Elmo, Gertrude or Percival elicit the same reaction. They did a study on teachers' inherent bias where they handed teachers a bunch of fake exams to mark. Where the names were stuff like Cecil, Rudolph or Rainshadow, the tests consistently scored lower marks than identical exams marked with names like Michael, James and Tiffany.

All I know is that if I lose my fucking mind and spawn, that bastard is getting named Octavian.

If it's a girl I'll throw it to the wolves. >:|

More likely I'll name her Shantae, middle name ROX. :D

eggandI

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
All I know is that if I lose my fucking mind and spawn, that bastard is getting named Octavian.

If it's a girl I'll throw it to the wolves. >:|

More likely I'll name her Shantae, middle name ROX. :D

Please don't breed.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It is obvious that latent racism or name-bias exists in the corporate established-old-white-people zone. That will continue breaking down over time. Better even as the standout minorities continue working harder than their white counterparts.

The unfortunate thing that some black people do is give their children names that are completely made up and sound ridiculous. There is no pride lost in giving your children western sounding names, you are, after all, American...

Aselith

liposome said:
Probably worked for Kal Penn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kal_Penn

"Modi says that he derived his acting name, Kal Penn, as a lark: “Almost as a joke to prove friends wrong, and half as an attempt to see if what I was told would work (that anglicized names appeal more to a white-dominated industry), I put ‘Kal Penn’ on my resume and photos." His audition callbacks rose by 50 percent. Modi has stated that he prefers his birth name and uses "Kal Penn" only for professional purposes."

It's extremely common in the film industry. It's less about institutional racism and more about how your name will pop on a billboard. Look up your favorite actors and I'm positive a high percentage will be operating under a psuedonym. People do it all the time in the biz. They'll also change the form of their name to add more gravitas. Samuel L. Jackon spent some time playing as Sam Jackson (I believe) and Laurence Fishburne spent his early career as Larry Fishburne (this one is for sure. You can see it in the credits of King Of New York). Look it up.

I should say there is some racism inherent in the practice but it's a perceived racism of the audience rather than racism on the part of the casting director.

Gallbaro said:

This is the very definition of racism. Or rather, racial descrimination.

"Jamal is a name given to poor blacks, we don't want poor blacks, burn this application."

The follow-up is irrelevant; statistically it has been proven again and again that white employers respond more favorably to traditionally white names. It stands to reason that with equivalent experience, they are increasing their chances of at least getting interviewed, which IS an important step to dispelling racial misconceptions and narrowing the employment gap.

I read this then realized there was no way of whitening my Nigerian name. Am I fucked GAF? I mean, my college, in terms of recognition, might help but still...

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is the very definition of racism. Or rather, racial descrimination.

"Jamal is a name given to poor blacks, we don't want poor blacks, burn this application."

The follow-up is irrelevant; statistically it has been proven again and again that white employers respond more favorably to traditionally white names. It stands to reason that with equivalent experience, they are increasing their chances of at least getting interviewed, which IS an important step to dispelling racial misconceptions and narrowing the employment gap.

Unfortunately due to the economy the gap is only getting wider. Last hired, first fired and definitely last to get re-hired as things get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom