• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Whitening’ the Résumé

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
Racism doesn't exist any more in the US - this must be a story from Australia.

I'm responsible for hiring where I work. I call anyone back that looks good on paper, but I talk to them first before letting them know who I am or what I'm calling about, to get a feel for their use of spoken language and their intelligence. I can usually tell within the first ten seconds if I'll interview the person.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Boogie said:
Gravitate to math-related professions.

Wait, aren't you an accountant by education? :p
My GAF profile says I'm an ex-accountant :lol No I'm switching to visual effects/CG stuff now. Lots of Asians in this industry apparently :O

The Take Out Bandit said:
I still don't comprehend this retroactive faux-Africanism trend in naming.

Nearly every immigrant I know has adopted a Western name. Some get offended when you refer to them by their Polish names.

Difference being these are actual names from the culture, not some retard deciding to name her twins Aquafina and Dasani because dem purrrrrrdy names.

If you're going to do it, stop adding Le and Qua prefixes and suffixes to names and do some god damned leg work.

And then don't get pissed when folks pass over your resume.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding that "Black names" are just as legit as any other name? If "Lebron" is a popular name, and you can see it or a similar sounding name being used across a culture, than what argument can be made against it? Names are just arbitrary anyways, it's not like their is some sort of objective inherent advantage of one name over another, society places a hierarchy on naming.

The problem here, as the problem always is in the case of prejudice, is the people with the bias, not the other way around. How long are we going to have to hear about this "Eww, I don't like that name, too ghetto" shit before people come to terms with the fact that a portion of African Americans name their kids differently? I mean, this obviously isn't just some trend or a fad, it's apart of the culture. Even before the frenchified names came to be, blacks have always taken different names for their children. Back in the early 1900's for instance, up until sometime in say the 60's or 70's, it was very common for black girls to have two first names. You will notice a lot of "Betty-Elizabeth" style names for black women from this period.

And this isn't just happening for the "Shaniqua" and "Latania" either. This is for "regular" ass sounding names like Huey, Jamal, Darrel, Donnell, Leeroy, Malcolm, etc. Must black people start naming all their kids Biblical names, as well as change their last names, before they can expect fairness in hiring callbacks?

Edit : Excuse me but this really ticks me off. Considering all the examples we have to oppose any sort of bias that one should have against "black sounding" names, I really have little tolerance for those close minded enough to still discriminate on something as petty as this. People have known about Oprah for Decades. They have known about Denzel for decades. They now know of Barack (And believe me, you are going to start seeing this name pop up, especially among blacks, because of Obama). It's time to fucking let this one go.

Liara T'Soni said:
Why do people have such a hard time understanding that "Black names" are just as legit as any other name? If "Lebron" is a popular name, and you can see it or a similar sounding name being used across a culture, than what argument can be made against it? Names are just arbitrary anyways, it's not like their is some sort of objective inherent advantage of one name over another, society places a hierarchy on naming.

The problem here, as the problem always is in the case of prejudice, is the people with the bias, not the other way around. How long are we going to have to hear about this "Eww, I don't like that name, too ghetto" shit before people come to terms with the fact that a portion of African Americans name their kids differently? I mean, this obviously isn't just some trend or a fad, it's apart of the culture. Even before the frenchified names came to be, blacks have always taken different names for their children. Back in the early 1900's for instance, up until sometime in say the 60's or 70's, it was very common for black girls to have two first names. You will notice a lot of "Betty-Elizabeth" style names for black women from this period.

And this isn't just happening for the "Shaniqua" and "Latania" either. This is for "regular" ass sounding names like Huey, Jamal, Darrel, Donnell, Leeroy, Malcolm, etc. Must black people start naming all their kids Biblical names, as well as change their last names, before they can expect fairness in hiring callbacks?

Edit : Excuse me but this really ticks me off. Considering all the examples we have to oppose any sort of bias that one should have against "black sounding" names, I really have little tolerance for those close minded enough to still discriminate on something as petty as this. People have known about Oprah for Decades. They have known about Denzel for decades. They now know of Barack (And believe me, you are going to start seeing this name pop up, especially among blacks, because of Obama). It's time to fucking let this one go.
I honestly don't think it's about "black" sounding names at all, but rather an inherent bias for common English names at the expense of all others. Were you to hand in a resume with the names Gustavo Enrique Trujillo Morales, Anubha Khamanakaran, Ho Mei-Fan, Francois Michel Dubois, Ernest Nigel Barron-Hamilton or Boris Aleksei Fiodor Inanovic, you'd be just as unlikely to get a callback as JayQuan Washington.

pjberri said:
I'm white and I don't get callbacks, either.

Me too. :/

I noticed they were talking about it on one of those nightly news programs like 60 minutes or 20/20 or something the other night. Or maybe it was my local news?

My boss is so racist. He won't hire anymore black people after the previous people.

I have a job but am looking for a new one forever. I should really just go to college or something -.-;

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
MidnightScott said:
Me too. :/

I noticed they were talking about it on one of those nightly news programs like 60 minutes or 20/20 or something the other night. Or maybe it was my local news?

My boss is so racist. He won't hire anymore black people after the previous people.

What did the previous people do? The word would be discrimination or prejudice.

It can come in many forms, just one is race. Another common one is age, the last probably being religion.

I always hated when I was 16 and looking for a job, knowing I was incredibly responsible and mature beyond my age, I applied at a lot of places. I didn't get any of the jobs I applied for and the reason was probably 90% the fault of younger people before me being hired and then not taking the job seriously/quitting/not showing up/etc. The good thing is, I grew up.

What sucks for minorities (not just blacks) is that they can't do much to make up for the interviewers' or bosses' bias. If someone wants to alter their name to appear more in line with successful employees, more power to them. Hopefully discrimination of all types can be wiped out in the next 50 years or so...maybe.

Salazar

Pretty sure I've got a job in the past because of my Jewish name and heritage.

No discrimination, positive or negative, as yet on the Welsh front.

AVclub

I had to do the same thing back when I was looking for a job like ten years ago. I changed my first name from a European sounding ethnic name (my birth name) to a shortened Americanized version. Suddenly I had interviews and found a good gig. I got close to the manager who hired me and a year or so later we were chatting and I asked him if my birth name had been on my resume if he would have considered calling me for an interview. He was honest (and stupid) enough to tell me no, probably not.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Gully State said:
Different stereotype....Model minority...
Not when people keep making fun of Asian names like Wang and stuff :p GAF is quite guilty of that.

Sol.. said:
wow.

It never occurred to me to do that. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Help me come up with some whiter names. I'm thinking about Larry.

Or Jim.
huckleberry-finn-DVDcover.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think it's icky when people say "blacks" or "whites."

Just take the 's' off and tack on a "people" and it's like they're human! Look below for an example:

PumpkinPie said:
Maybe they just didn't want to employ people with stupid names?

Black people have stupid names?

dejay

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
What did the previous people do? The word would be discrimination or prejudice.

It can come in many forms, just one is race. Another common one is age, the last probably being religion.

I always hated when I was 16 and looking for a job, knowing I was incredibly responsible and mature beyond my age, I applied at a lot of places. I didn't get any of the jobs I applied for and the reason was probably 90% the fault of younger people before me being hired and then not taking the job seriously/quitting/not showing up/etc. The good thing is, I grew up.

I've given a lot of young people a chance. My position means I hire "semi-skilled" workers. I've given so many young people a chance and they've always let me down. Usually they're not pragmatic, aren't good with physical work, can't problem solve, are inaccurate, disappear for ten minutes every hour, don't want to do a professional job and take a day off every other week. They want to do the interesting work but can't be bothered to learn the basics. It sounds bad, but given a choice between two people that supposedly have the same skill set, I'll choose the worker over 35 every time. I don't have time to train people and find out they're dickheads later - I'd rather play the odds and go with maturity.

Whilst all that sounds discriminatory, I do hire people over 45 that a lot of people won't because they're too old. I find the skillset that some older people have to be useful.

You hear about this in Norway to from time to time, though I'm sure it happens often. Oslo has a large Pakistani population who have to deal with these things.

NetMapel said:
Not when people keep making fun of Asian names like Wang and stuff :p GAF is quite guilty of that.
A lot of Asian names are romanized strangely: e.g. Wang should be Wahng to indicate the pronunciation better. Less dick jokes too.

MWS Natural said:
Well most white people don't know WTF Morehouse College is anyways so it hasn't really hurt me so far :lol Outside of that I don't have an ethnic sounding name thank God.

Once you get to the door you at least have the chance to impress. If your resume gets tossed as soon as they see "Jamar Jenkins" you have no shot at all.
Is Jenkins really that common of a black last name? One of my good friends from college had that last name, and he was the first and only person I had met with that last name.

gibonez

Banned
It probably has nothing to do with race.

My guess is employers just tend to not like people with Exotic names.

Nayshon Williams is no more likely to get a Callback than Cletus Vanwinkle.

There is a lesson that can be learned from this though.

When you have a kid don't name him something idiotic like Seven, or Apple, or Thor, we'll sure you can name him Thor because that's a badass name.

Hcbk0702 said:
A lot of Asian names are romanized strangely: e.g. Wang should be Wahng to indicate the pronunciation better. Less dick jokes too.

You mean pronounced "wong"...Wang is actually the correct spelling from pin yin...

SmokyDave

Sadly I have seen this happen in the UK too. I have actually worked for employers that refuse to hire *Insert Minority Here*. I have also seen this effect people with names like 'Hedley Smedley Smythe' too as there is a pre-conceived notion that the owner of such a name would be an ivory tower dwelling tosspot. I once got refused employment as I'm a smoker, which is illegal discrimination in my country. I just said fuck it, wouldn't have wanted to work for that kind of person anyway and moved on.

MWS Natural said:
Once you get to the door you at least have the chance to impress. If your resume gets tossed as soon as they see "Jamar Jenkins" you have no shot at all.
I'd hire someone called Jamar Jenkins purely on the basis of their name. Sounds fun loving but knows when to get down to business. Send Jamar through please and get him a cup of coffee.

Salazar

PantherLotus said:
Black people have stupid names?

The tradition of black people naming their children from the Bible and from classical history and myth is a glorious thing. Very few of those names are stupid, and very few would be called so except by cretins.

shuri

Banned
I think what this previous poster was trying to explain with his Laquisha and Aquavelva example is that it sounds 'low class', just like Brutus and Billy Bob or Cletus. Those names sounds straight of a skit.

When someone sees a name like Cletus, they think of rednecks and all that, just like when they hear Laqusta, they think of that skit with Jamie Foxx and MArtin Laurence.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
heard the exact same thing about muslim girls in the Netherlands.

Wear a head scarf to that and it's basically like taking a piss on your CV right before you hand it to them.

^according to 'the news'

ymmv

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I still don't comprehend this retroactive faux-Africanism trend in naming.

Nearly every immigrant I know has adopted a Western name. Some get offended when you refer to them by their Polish names.

Difference being these are actual names from the culture, not some retard deciding to name her twins Aquafina and Dasani because dem purrrrrrdy names.

If you're going to do it, stop adding Le and Qua prefixes and suffixes to names and do some god damned leg work.

And then don't get pissed when folks pass over your resume.

First they give their children ridiculous ghetto names, and then they're surprised those names have an actual effect on how those kids are perceived?

soundahfekz said:
Who are you to define ghetto?

In a society with a disproportionate power allocation, those in power define the unwritten rules of social engagement.

So yes, even now, white people determine what an "appropriate" name is for black children, or whether a name is "too ethnic" for Africans, Asians, and Eastern Europeans.

The only situations I can think of where having a foreign name can aid your employment is in math/science/computers - many in these fields assume that foreigners/internationals are harder working than Americans, and that African Americans generally don't apply.

Bleepey

Zoramon089 said:
I read this then realized there was no way of whitening my Nigerian name. Am I fucked GAF? I mean, my college, in terms of recognition, might help but still...

Hahaha same boat here man, except i have graduated from university and i am from the UK. Mi igbo name gets butchered left, right and centre thankfully the shortened version is easier and the Star wars jokes no longer phase me. Cookie for you if you can guess the first 3 letters of my name.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Shocking. The research on callbacks isn't actually very new.

Also: I have a hard-to-pronounce name. 98% of people don't pronounce it correctly their first time reading it aloud. This alone reduces my chances of getting hired, at least marginally. FML.

soundahfekz said:
Who are you to define ghetto?

2hgwoqq.jpg

It's obvious which names are originating in Africa, and which names are being randomly generated by high school dropouts in the ghettos of America.

Prefix and/or suffix of La, Da, De, and Qua ≠ African.

Like I said, if you want an African name - do some fuckin' leg work.

If I were going to give my children Polish names I wouldn't half-ass it with Danski and Penelopeska

louis89

I'm black, but thankfully you can't tell it from my name. My name is kind of weird but probably still seems English to most people.

I have a friend from Nigeria doing Computer Science with me here at university who is like the smartest guy I've ever met, and he has a crazy African name. If employers reject him because of that they're missing out on a complete genius who would be the best employee they've ever had.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I honestly don't think it's about "black" sounding names at all, but rather an inherent bias for common English names at the expense of all others. Were you to hand in a resume with the names Gustavo Enrique Trujillo Morales, Anubha Khamanakaran, Ho Mei-Fan, Francois Michel Dubois, Ernest Nigel Barron-Hamilton or Boris Aleksei Fiodor Inanovic, you'd be just as unlikely to get a callback as JayQuan Washington.

You'd likely get a callback with that name if you were applying for a job as a DJ...
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Francois+Dubois

Gallbaro

Banned
louis89 said:
I'm black, but thankfully you can't tell it from my name. My name is kind of weird but probably still seems English to most people.

I have a friend from Nigeria doing Computer Science with me here at university who is like the smartest guy I've ever met, and he has a crazy African name. If employers reject him because of that they're missing out on a complete genius who would be the best employee they've ever had.

I do not think African names have the same negative connotations as African American names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom