• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

’24 Eyes Return As Limited Series On Fox, Kiefer Sutherland In Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hell no. Renee is absolutely horrid. She literally ruined the last 2 seasons for me, turning Jack into a completely different character.

agent_freckles_annie_wersching_pics-82.jpg
\
Annie%20Wersching.jpg

so fine

RangersFan

I'm down with this mainly because Jack didn't get the proper send off. That finale was not a fitting end for Jack Bauer.

IMO one of the show's biggest failings was how many characters it killed off early. Within five seasons the main cast was pretty much gone except for Jack, and while most went out in awesome fashion (RIP George Mason), in hindsight I feel like the show would have been better if the deaths were spread out more evenly. Seasons 6 through 8 introduce a flurry of new characters who basically are 24 tropes - the asshole boss, the mole, the nerdy guy, etc. Some work, some don't.

This was probably the main problem with the series. After Season 5, who was left to give a shit about? Also, why would you have any emotional investment in a new character (if they weren't one of those shitty trope characters) when you knew there was a strong chance they'd get killed off? The characters ended up feeling like tools to be used up and disposed of.

bndadm

This was probably the main problem with the series. After Season 5, who was left to give a shit about? Also, why would you have any emotional investment in a new character (if they weren't one of those shitty trope characters) when you knew there was a strong chance they'd get killed off? The characters ended up feeling like tools to be used up and disposed of.

I don't get the Renee hate (maybe early season 7 sure). But come'on, Moss earned his love.
Then of course they snuffed his lights out.

Servbot24

Banned
I mainly hated the way they acted like her and Jack and this profound relationship when they had only known each other a couple hours. Also their attempts to make her the female version of Jack were eye-roll-worthy.

Now Nina was a real badass.

Penguin

Yup, lack of Pierce hurt. I kept expecting him to show up.

IMO one of the show's biggest failings was how many characters it killed off early. Within five seasons the main cast was pretty much gone except for Jack, and while most went out in awesome fashion (RIP George Mason), in hindsight I feel like the show would have been better if the deaths were spread out more evenly. Seasons 6 through 8 introduce a flurry of new characters who basically are 24 tropes - the asshole boss, the mole, the nerdy guy, etc. Some work, some don't.

I would hope that the writers get together and set up some basic perimeters before writing anything. Specifically: no moles, and no "Jack goes rogue" IF he winds up working for a government agency; if he's simply on the run sure, going rogue is necessary, but I don't want to see Jack Bauer working for the CIA only to start doing his own thing - and get hunted by the CIA. I'm tired of that.

Yeah
I remember season 3 killing off both Nina and Sherry
Granted they couldn't keep going back to those wells, but having them both die in the same season took something from the show

Then they killed Palmer and Michelle at the same time.. and pretty much all the initial characters were gone

Only thing it made me do was keep worrying for Chloe! :(

Nameless

12 episodes will work fine. My personal favorite stretch of the series is the first half of Season 2, which could have been its own season ending in with Mason's sacrifice. The Cyprus recording arc that followed was pure filler even though it had plenty of awesome to classic moments.

Servbot24

Banned
12 episodes is fine. Half the series is usually filler anyways. Hopefully the white house stuff is very limited, I doubt they can establish an interesting President that quickly.

Yup. A product of the frantic, last minute writing style. The cliff hangers kept needing to be topped, so they took out multiple characters to keep people on the edge of their seats.

Servbot24

Banned
Yup. A product of the frantic, last minute writing style. The cliff hangers kept needing to be topped, so they took out multiple characters to keep people on the edge of their seats.

I wish this could have been a series that was actually planned out in advance to establish themes and so on... the way they did it, it was destined to falter at some point. I'm surprised it took til season 6 honestly.

Speaking of which, Vince Gilligan is going to need a new project soon ;)

dLMN8R

That's all misplacing the blame, though. The writers had to make everything up as they went along because of how many episodes there are each season, not because they're bad/lazy/whatever writers.

Having shorter seasons would dramatically improve that situation.

Squire

Banned
JLijS.gif

This is amazing news. I marathoner all of 24 last year and I couldn't get enough. I had it bad. It was so easy to point out the flaws and tropes of the show, but they never hurt the experience for me. I almost reveled in them.

24 is thrilling, it's moving; it's enjoyable. I cannot wait for this. Oh my god.

Nameless

Even at it's worst 24 was never terrible. People shit on it , and rightfully so in many ways , but Season 6 had its share of highs. Strong beginning, strong ending, and "Damn Jack". But then you had shit like Jack hiding in a room for an episode +.

Did Behruz's mom die? The actress who is like the only middle eastern actress in hollywood. I forget her name. She was also in X-Men 3 and voiced one of the Migrant Fleet generals in mass effect.

That's all misplacing the blame, though. The writers had to make everything up as they went along because of how many episodes there are each season, not because they're bad/lazy/whatever writers.

Having shorter seasons would dramatically improve that situation.

No, the writers purposely wouldn't plan things out. Besides the first 13 episodes of the series (the most coherent and narratively sound stretch of the series, IMO) the rest of it was written by the seat of their pants. They've stated that many times in interviews. Sure, having to come up w/ 24 episodes worth of material isn't easy but they could have had a better process. Like Servbot24 said, it's a wonder their house of cards managed to hold up for 5 seasons before falling over.

I do agree that shorter seasons are definitely better. Beyond more control from the creative types, it's one of the main reasons that cable shows have been so good. However, I don't think that matters for 24 at this point. There's nothing left that I want to see from that universe and I don't trust that whatever they come up with will be worth watching.

Even at it's worst 24 was never terrible. People shit on it , and rightfully so in many ways , but Season 6 had its share of highs. Strong beginning, strong ending, and "Damn Jack". But then you had shit like Jack hiding in a room for an episode +.
I strongly disagree. Season 6 was utterly terrible. It became a parody of itself with terrible characterization and nonsensical raising the stakes moments.

Squire

Banned
Did Behruz's mom die? The actress who is like the only middle eastern actress in hollywood. I forget her name. She was also in X-Men 3 and voiced one of the Migrant Fleet generals in mass effect.

Shohreh Aghdashloo. I don't remember if she died it not. She may have.

Sean

Banned
I wish this could have been a series that was actually planned out in advance to establish themes and so on... the way they did it, it was destined to falter at some point. I'm surprised it took til season 6 honestly.

Writing it on the fly was one of the main reasons the series was so hugely successful IMO.

There was lots of amazing moments because the writers weren't thinking "we should probably keep this character around for a few years" they were thinking "wouldn't it be exciting if Jack chopped off his partners hand with a fire axe? Let's do it!"

A lot of the best and most shocking twists worked because not even the writers or actors knew, so there wasn't really any hints or obvious foreshadowing like most other shows. Same thing for deaths, characters on 24 could die pretty much whenever without any warning - you could start the season 5 premiere, take a piss, and when you come back three major characters are already dead within the first couple minutes. That unpredictability is what made the show so great.

Yeah, this caught up with them eventually in season 6. But even shows that heavily plan out their story arcs are usually in creative decline by the sixth season.

Even though the last three seasons sucked I would still give this a shot, so it will be interesting to see if it comes to pass.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I can't believe i didn't recognize her voice when i watched season 4 for the first time last month, and i played enough of Mass Effect 2 and 3!

And yeah, Behrooz mom is dead, the terrorist made it quite obvious a few times. I'm more curious as to what they did to him. Kill him off-screen?

Vally

iYQEOeg7zqgef.jpg

OH GOD YES. I don't care whay they mean by 'limited series' or how many episodes, I just want 24 to be back.

Saty

Why? I guess FOX and Keifer are desperate.

The show overstayed its welcome. I don't think i even watched the last season.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
oh jesus yes

I want a wheelchair-bound Logan as the bad guy with Mandy as his underling.

Sojgat

Didn't really care when the show was cancelled, but over time I've grown to miss Jack Bauer.

They should take this opportunity to do what they should have done after the 2nd season, and change up the basic structure of the show. If Jack gets pardoned, and called back in to work with CTU in the first episode... yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom