• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Love, Death, and Robots” - Netflix partly-anime anthology, presented by Tim Miller and David Fincher

What is your FAVORITE episode?

• 01 -Sonnie's Edge

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 02 - Three Robots

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 03 - The Witness

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 04 - Suits

• 05 - Sucker of Souls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 06 - When The Yogurt Took Over

• 07 - Beyond The Aquila Rift

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 08 - Good Hunting

• 09 - The Dump

• An episode from the last 9 (I only have 10 possible options)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

vpance

To be fair, all the uber-real-looking shorts in this collection have some uncanny valley going on when animated, but Aquila Rift was the first one I saw, so that one stood out. Without watching them again, I remember Secret War and Lucky 13 looking better animated. The werewolf one also had some bad uncanny valley going on.

Hah, I just looked it up, and Aquila and the werewolf one were both animated by the same studio (Blur), which explains the similar uncanny. Lucky 13 was Sony Pictures, and Secret War was a Hungarian studio.

Actually Aquila was Unit Image, a French studio. Secret War was Digic Pictures which does a ton of game trailers (AC, COD, etc) and are consistently good.

Secret War was damn impressive in terms of textures, scale and number of characters but I still think Aquila has it beat on individual facial animation. They did have the luxury of only having to focus on like 2 people though.

All these studios are like the top of the game at doing full CGI productions. I don't think any were exceptionally uncanny valley, but I thought the werewolf one was the weakest by a decent amount, then Lucky 13 in terms of overall quality.

Last edited:

Fbh

This has been rather mixed.
Some like Zima Blue or Three Robots are great but others seems to have little to no point besides showing off the animation.

Like the Dump or Sucker of Souls or the one with the Werewolves. There's no interesting concept or twist or message

Mohonky

Just caught the first episode, popped up in my Netflix feed and I thought yeh whatever, watched Sonnies Edge, very cool.

Would actually like to see something like that as a full fleshed out series. Will watch some more episodes to see how they others are.

Fbh

Finished it. Weirdly enough the only one that has real actors has the weirdest/fakest writing.

Anyway.
My favourites were: Three Robots, Suits, When the Yogurt took over, Zima Blue, Beyond the Aquila rift and the secret war (which is also the best looking one).

Worst were: Sucker of souls, the dump, fish night and Ice age

Last edited:
My two favorite are The Witness and the one in China? When the guy moves from the village to Hong Kong and he meets the shape shifting woman.

The Witness I was really trying to figure out how it was made. First it looked like they were going for this lower fps claymation style movement. But then it looked as if this could all be live action and later in AE they added the cartoonish filter etc. Maybe im just bullshiting but yeah awesome epizodes.

Mohonky

I've watched all of them now, thoughts on each;

"Sonnie's Edge" Definitely one of the best. Loved the visuals and the great little twist at the end. This could easily be fleshed out into a series or a movie and I'd be absolutely all over it.

"Three Robots" Like a slightly more adult Pixar animation, great fun with some good laughs.

"The Witness" Visually staggering. The world was gritty but colourful, couldn't take my eyes off it. Could see where the twist to the story was going, but it was an awesome short story all round. Definitely up there as one of the best ones here. Also really cant understate the visuals, there's a mish mash of styles going on here but it really works.

"Suits" Enjoyable but one of the more simplistic as far as story goes. Visually it felt like a modern sort of Disney style of animation.

"Sucker of Souls" Didn't think much of this one at all. Just one of the weaker entries all round and I feel like it's out of place surrounded by the other stories.

"When The Yogurt Took Over" A good little laugh. Another that looks like a decent little Pixar short.

"Beyond the Aquila Rift" : This one is just amazing; probably the best of the lot. I loved absolutely every part of this story and it's presentation. It was intriguing right from the outset and being someone that likes a good sci-fi, the idea or concept of the unknown and what's out there, I think this had by far the best pay off in terms of twists in all of these stories. I have probably rewatched the final revelations of this one a few times just because it's so good.

Man they need to flesh this out into a movie ASAP.

"Good Hunting" This one was another really good one. It has a more traditional animation style but the steam punk like world that is crafted is gorgeous and I really liked the two main characters. This is kind of closer to a dark fairy tale set against a gorgeous backdrop.

"The Dump" The last sort of Pixar style short. Okay story but not one of the stronger ones.

"Shape-Shifters" I kind of liked this one even if I can't entirely put my finger on why; I think it was mainly the confrontation of the shape shifters that saved it from mediocrity.

"Helping Hand" Eh. Wasn't a fan.

"Fish Night" This one has some interesting animation and ends in a really beautiful scene of colour but ultimate I thought this was also one of the weakest entries.

"Lucky 13" Great 3D visuals. The story and action itself is reasonable but nothing mind blowing.

"Zima Blue" The art style in this one is...…..different for sure. It was a fairly slow burning story. I actually thought the ending was quite interesting; it's trying to maybe be more profound then it is, but it's still interesting.

"Blindspot" Didn't really do a lot for me personally. Another one of the weaker entries.

"Ice Age" Probably getting a slight boost from the fact it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it and I'm a sucker for anything with Mary on screen, but I thought it was pretty cool all the same.

"Alternate Histories" Equal hits and misses. Parts were just a bit too silly for me.

"Secret War" Didn't mind this one but I thought it kind of let the series down as a finale, but still an interesting mix of the military and the occult.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
How much Gore is there? I don't like Gore in my cartoons very much. I like anime a fair bit though.

Hi ! Some are pretty gore, I would said don't look Sonnie's Edge (the most violent imo), Sucker of Souls, Good Hunting (more for nudity), Shape-Shifters, Helping Hand (for one moment, other than that it's ok) and Secret War. Some other episodes have a little bit of violence but not all.

I really loved this show, so different of what we usually see

JimiNutz

Banned
I've watched all of them now, thoughts on each;

"Sonnie's Edge" Definitely one of the best. Loved the visuals and the great little twist at the end. This could easily be fleshed out into a series or a movie and I'd be absolutely all over it.

"Three Robots" Like a slightly more adult Pixar animation, great fun with some good laughs.

"The Witness" Visually staggering. The world was gritty but colourful, couldn't take my eyes off it. Could see where the twist to the story was going, but it was an awesome short story all round. Definitely up there as one of the best ones here. Also really cant understate the visuals, there's a mish mash of styles going on here but it really works.

"Suits" Enjoyable but one of the more simplistic as far as story goes. Visually it felt like a modern sort of Disney style of animation.

"Sucker of Souls" Didn't think much of this one at all. Just one of the weaker entries all round and I feel like it's out of place surrounded by the other stories.

"When The Yogurt Took Over" A good little laugh. Another that looks like a decent little Pixar short.

"Beyond the Aquila Rift" : This one is just amazing; probably the best of the lot. I loved absolutely every part of this story and it's presentation. It was intriguing right from the outset and being someone that likes a good sci-fi, the idea or concept of the unknown and what's out there, I think this had by far the best pay off in terms of twists in all of these stories. I have probably rewatched the final revelations of this one a few times just because it's so good.

Man they need to flesh this out into a movie ASAP.

"Good Hunting" This one was another really good one. It has a more traditional animation style but the steam punk like world that is crafted is gorgeous and I really liked the two main characters. This is kind of closer to a dark fairy tale set against a gorgeous backdrop.

"The Dump" The last sort of Pixar style short. Okay story but not one of the stronger ones.

"Shape-Shifters" I kind of liked this one even if I can't entirely put my finger on why; I think it was mainly the confrontation of the shape shifters that saved it from mediocrity.

"Helping Hand" Eh. Wasn't a fan.

"Fish Night" This one has some interesting animation and ends in a really beautiful scene of colour but ultimate I thought this was also one of the weakest entries.

"Lucky 13" Great 3D visuals. The story and action itself is reasonable but nothing mind blowing.

"Zima Blue" The art style in this one is...…..different for sure. It was a fairly slow burning story. I actually thought the ending was quite interesting; it's trying to maybe be more profound then it is, but it's still interesting.

"Blindspot" Didn't really do a lot for me personally. Another one of the weaker entries.

"Ice Age" Probably getting a slight boost from the fact it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it and I'm a sucker for anything with Mary on screen, but I thought it was pretty cool all the same.

"Alternate Histories" Equal hits and misses. Parts were just a bit too silly for me.

"Secret War" Didn't mind this one but I thought it kind of let the series down as a finale, but still an interesting mix of the military and the occult.

These impressions match up with my own. Overall I really enjoyed the series. Sure it can be hit and miss but even the 'bad' or mediocre episodes are short enough to not outstay their welcome and the animation in each episode is usually awesome. Sonnie's Edge, Three Robots, The Witness, Beyond the Aquila Rift and Shape-Shifters were probably my favourites. I want to see more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom