• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

04/02 - Wrasslin Discussions - It All Begins Again the Stroke Returns Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallout
April 2, 2007

A record-setting 80,103 packed inside Detroit’s Ford Field Sunday night, though millions of WWE fans around the world will forever remember WrestleMania 23 as one of sports-entertainment’s greatest moments. Now detouring from the Road to WrestleMania, Raw rolls ahead to Dayton, Ohio Monday night. But where will this path lead its Superstars?

WrestleMania’s Battle of the Billionaires ended baldly—sorry, badly—for WWE’s Chairman last night. Mr. McMahon threw just about everything he had to ensure a clear-cut victory over Donald Trump’s representative, Bobby Lashley. But it wasn’t enough; the ECW World Champion cut Intercontinental Champion Umaga down to size (with help from a Stunner by special guest referee “Stone Cold” Steve Austin), then forced a visibly “wigged-out” Mr. McMahon to make his appointment in the ol’ barber’s chair with The Donald. Now that WWE has a bald billionaire for a boss, Raw’s Superstars won’t want to be in his crosshairs when he crops up in Ohio Monday night. Will Mr. McMahon make others suffer for his “shear” embarrassment? Worse, will people confuse him with Raw Executive Assistant Jonathan Coachman?!

Shawn Michaels put forth a WrestleMania performance only a Showstopper like him could deliver, nearly reaching WWE’s highest mountaintop once more. But the Heartbreak Kid would know exactly that come the final result, as John Cena successfully defended the WWE Championship Sunday night by forcing HBK to tap out in the STFU. Both Superstars will be on hand at Dayton’s Nutter Center tonight, and both are still the World Tag Team Champions. But can they still co-exist with the titles? Hell, after what transpired at WrestleMania, can they co-exist in the same state?

Playboy cover girl Ashley nearly stripped the Women’s Championship from Melina during WrestleMania’s Lumberjill Match last night. However, the A-list Diva barely scored the cover to retain the title, then exited the ring amid Lumberjill pandemonium. Raw rolls out the red carpet once again for the primal screamer this Monday night, but will paparazzi snap any photos of her next challenger in the Buckeye State?

Raw embarks on a new Road to WrestleMania this Monday night, starting at 9/8 CT on USA Network!

Wrestlemania Fall Out
April 3rd, 2007

The New Breed – Elijah Burke, Matt Striker, Marcus Cor Von & Kevin Thorn with Ariel – kept telling the entire sports-entertainment world that they were the future of ECW. Brash, young, and cocky, they told everyone that it was their time and that the time of the pioneers of the original incarnation of ECW – ECW Originals Rob Van Dam, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and Sandman – had passed. However, tonight, before more than 80,000 WWE fans, the “old school” hardcore pioneers took the young upstarts to school and sent a message: We’re not ready to step aside just yet, young blood!

Much like their numerous battles in singles and tag team competition over the past several months, the Eight-Man Tag Team Match between the New Breed and the Originals swayed back and forth. But the stronger, hungry New Breeders took the advantage by isolating Tommy Dreamer, the 14-year veteran of ECW who suffered a broken neck and back during his battles in the original promotion. But with the crowd chanting “E-C-W, E-C-W, E-C-W,” RVD, Sabu, Sandman and Dreamer battled valiantly and simply outfought their younger opponents. They refused to lose.

Rob Van Dam, the only participant in the match who had previously competed at WrestleMania, led his team to victory when he pinned Striker following a Five-Star Frog Splash. Tonight was a sweet, sweet victory for the Originals. Just making it to WrestleMania – and shining on the greatest stage in all of sports-entertainment – was sweet career affirmation for the veterans Sandman, Sabu and Dreamer.

A tearful Tommy Dreamer was almost too overwhelmed for words after the win.

“It was a dream come true,” Dreamer told WWE.com. “”I was out there with my closest friends. I had my WrestleMania moment. It was a dream come true…. It was awesome.”

PREVIEW FOR THURSDAY “iMPACT!” AT 11PM ON SPIKE TV
More matches to be announced for the Lockdown Pay-Per-View

IMPORTANT: Don’t forget that “iMPACT!” will be held at a special airtime on Thursday night at 11pm on SpikeTV!

MAIN EVENT: 8 MILE STREET FIGHT – RHINO VS. TOMKO
Rhino (representing Team Angle) and Tomko (representing Team Cage) will collide this Thursday night in the return of the “8 Mile Street Fight” to TNA Wrestling! It will be anything-goes and falls count anywhere as these two TNA juggernauts attempt to annihilate each other prior to the “Lockdown” Pay-Per-View on Sunday, April 15! With the other members of Team Cage and Team Angle in attendance, what hell will break loose? Tune in and find out!

THE LATIN AMERICAN XCHANGE VS. VOODOO KIN MAFIA
Also on Thursday night, two of TNA Wrestling’s top tag teams will face off as World Tag Team Champions The Latin American Xchange will battle The Voodoo Kin Mafia! There’s certainly a lot of history between these two teams – and plenty of hatred! Can VKM pull off the win to get an eventual shot at the World Tag Team Title? Will Team 3D be watching the bout closely? Will we find out more about the Electric Steel Cage Match?

AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH THE ICON STING
Also this Thursday night at 11pm on SpikeTV, we’ll hear from former World Champion the icon known as Sting about the current situation involving Abyss! Sting was so close to helping Abyss until maniacal manager James Mitchell returned to TNA Wrestling and forced Abyss back under his control. What will Sting have to say this Thursday night? Tune in and find out!

TNA MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR JIM CORNETTE ORDERS A COMPANY WIDE MEETING
Also, TNAwrestling.com has learned that TNA management director Jim Cornette has ordered everyone on the roster to be in attendance at ringside this Thursday night for a company-wide meeting! According to Cornette, he plans to address several TNA stars personally, as well as announce more matches for the April 15 “Lockdown’ Pay-per-View event!

All this and much more this Thursday night on “iMPACT!” on SpikeTV at the special 11pm airtime!

Wrestlemania Fallout
April 6th, 2007

The smoke from WrestleMania 23—witnessed live by a Ford Field attendance record of 80,103—has finally cleared, though its historic fallout has only begun. This Friday in Providence, R.I., SmackDown hails a new World Heavyweight Champion, while a loudmouth Superstar assumes the bragging rights to call himself “Mr. Money in the Bank.” Oh, and WWE is now run by its Chairman of the Bald, Mr. McMahon.

Deadman’s gold

At WrestleMania, Batista showed the frightening power and determination that has made him a two-time World Heavyweight Champion. However, it wasn’t enough to stop The Deadman Sunday night. Silencing The Animal with his Tombstone Piledriver, Undertaker captured the World Heavyweight Title and improved his unbeaten WrestleMania streak to 15-0. The Phenom ushers the dawning of a new day this Friday as SmackDown’s new champion, but will new challenges immediately threaten his reign? Or will Batista refuse to rest in peace until he reclaims the title he believes is so rightly his?

Shakin’ his “Money”-maker

Four SmackDown Superstars made worthy bids during WrestleMania’s eight-man Money in the Bank Ladder Match Sunday night. However, after weeks of stating his case, Mr. Kennedy climbed atop the ladder and grabbed it, winning the attaché’s contents within: a contract that grants him a title opportunity any time over the next year. So now it’s time to ask the million-dollar question on WWE fans’ minds: When’s Kennedy gonna cash it in? Perhaps the self-professed “Mr. Money in the Bank” will open up his big mouth this Friday and give us a clue.

By hook or by nook…

It wasn’t a good WrestleMania for Kane or MVP, respectively. First, The Great Khali proved to be the bigger behemoth Sunday night—after picking up the win, he did likewise to the Big Red Monster, using his very own hook in a fashion that has WWE fans wondering if they’ve said “Goodnight” to Kane for awhile. Meanwhile, MVP took out the arm of U.S. Champion Chris Benoit, saving him from the Rabid Wolverine’s Crossface. Unfortunately for SmackDown’s self-professed “franchise player,” he didn’t factor in Benoit’s resourcefulness—or an extremely hard headbutt off the top rope. With WrestleMania now behind Kane, MVP and Benoit, what’s ahead for these SmackDown Superstars in Fort Wayne, IN?

WrestleMania may be over, but the fallout is in full effect on Friday Night SmackDown, 8/7 CT, on the CW.

shoplifter

ROH Newswire for 4/2

April 2nd: We would like to thank everyone for making last weekend in Detroit a huge success. Unfortunately we have some major injury news to report. Mark Briscoe suffered a concussion after landing bad on a shooting star press to the floor. He was in the hospital for the entire weekend. He is now questionable for 4/13 & 4/14. We hope to have an update later this week. BJ Whitmer will be forced to miss 4/13 & 14 for a neck injury he suffered in the Steel Cage Showdown against Jimmy Jacobs last Saturday. Fans are calling this brutal match the greatest cage match in ROH history. Unfortunately both Whitmer and Jacobs paid the price. Jacobs suffered worst of all. He had half of one of his front teeth chipped. Worst yet, he will need major surgery to repair a completely torn my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his left knee. Jacobs will miss 6-9 months of action, but will still have a role on most of the ROH shows.

April 2nd: There were a lot of surprised in Detroit. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin, The Motor City Machine Guns, challenged Jay Briscoe to a ROH World Tag Title Match on 4/28 in Chicago. Shelley & Sabin have made a name for themselves as a tag team in Japan. They added fuel to the fire by jumping Jay while Mark Briscoe was being taken out on a stretcher after the shooting star press. The Briscoes vs. Shelley & Sabin for the ROH World Tag Team Titles is official for Chicago. You can now get tickets for this event for only $10 as part of the new $10 sale at ROHwrestling.com. This match will be worth $10 alone!!!

April 2nd: Another surprise saw Jim Cornette return to try to attack Homicide. Cornette enlisted Brent Albright, Adam Pearce and Shane Hagadorn. Colt Cabana came to Homicide's side and they teamed up for the first time ever exactly one year from their brutal "Better Than Our Best" Chicago Street Fight. This feud will continue on 4/13 in Long Island when Homicide faces Brent Albright one-on-one. Cornette is not currently scheduled for any upcoming ROH events, but he has promised Albright a huge payday if Albright can take out Homicide in Long Island. Tickets are now just $10 for the big return to Sports Plus.

April 2nd: There is now a $10 sale at www.ROHwrestling.com on over 70 ROH show, Best Of, Straight Shootin' and Secrets Of The Ring DVDs!!! You can also get tickets for 4/13 in Long Island, 4/14 in Edison, 4/27 in St. Paul and 4/28 in Chicago for only $10. Act now because the sale ends on Wednesday night. We are also very proud to release the first two DVDs from the Fifth Year Festival. The NYC and Philly events are both available now. We are very proud of the Fifth Year Festival series and urge you to watch them in order and from start to finish. You will really get the most out of them by watching them that way. Check the main page of ROHwrestling.com for all the details on both the sale and lots of new DVDs!!!

April 2nd: Rocky Romero is the newest member of the No Remorse Corps along with Roderick Strong and Davey Richards. Romero will team with Strong and Richards in the Six Man Elimination Match in Long Island. They will be opposed by Austin Aries, Matt Cross and a third member to be announced. Aries has hinted that we might need to wait until the night of the show to find out the new member of his faction.

April 2nd: Larry Sweeney brought Johnny Fairplay to ROH last Saturday. We will have highlights (or what many would call lowlights) of this in the next ROH Video Wire.

April 2nd: We will have more matches for all the April events this week in the ROHwrestling.com Newswire. Here is a look at the updated lineup for 4/13 in Long Island. Check out this big card for only $10, but act now because the sale ends on Wednesday night at ROHwrestling.com.

Ring Of Honor
April 13th, 2007- 8pm start
Sports Plus Entertainment Center
110 New Moriches Road
Lake Grove, New York 11755

Tickets are available at www.rohwrestling.com, by calling (215) 781-2500 or at www.tickets.com.

International Main Event
ROH World Champion Takeshi Morishima & Chris Hero with Larry Sweeney vs. Nigel McGuinness & Doug Williams

Faction Warfare Elimination Match
Austin Aries, Matt Cross & ??? vs. Roderick Strong, Davey Richards & Rocky Romero

Grudge Match
Homicide vs. Brent Albright
Non-Title Match
Jay & Mark Briscoe (if able to compete) vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen

Special Challenge Match
Jack Evans vs. SHINGO

Special Attraction Match
Colt Cabana vs. Delirious

SHIMMER Bonus Match
Daizee Haze vs. Sara Del Rey

Plus more to be announced with Claudio Castagnoli; Eddie Edwards; Jason Blade, Shane Hagadorn, Pelle Primeau and others!!

Jimmy and a torn ACL make me
emot-emo.gif

joeposh

BradVanDam said:
A tearful Tommy Dreamer was almost too overwhelmed for words after the win.

“It was a dream come true,” Dreamer told WWE.com. “”I was out there with my closest friends. I had my WrestleMania moment. It was a dream come true…. It was awesome.”

Really Tommy? I mean I know being at Wrestlemania is a career defining event for many wrestlers, but I'd imagine the absolutely DEAD crowd (I was there, and quite displeased with the lack of interest amongst the fans) would have put a damper on things. I'm sure that's not quite how he "dreamed" it would be.

I'm just eager to see Jeff Jarrett's return. I got tired of him for awhile like everyone else, but before that he had been one of my favs starting from his late WCW run.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm just eager to see Jeff Jarrett's return. I got tired of him for awhile like everyone else, but before that he had been one of my favs starting from his late WCW run.

Slapnuts Jeff Jarrett was awesome

You think he'd get some cheers if he was allowed to rap? Because -- Break it down . . . D-Generation X!!!

Here comes the rematch/heel turn by someone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is a hot crowd. Pretty awesome.

I haven't watched in weeks, but post-Mania Raws usually tend to be fairly interesting.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Frankman said:
Isn't Raw and Smackdown awesome when both brands are on one show? Seriously.

Aww, po Eugene. :lol

The brands are split when it is useful for them to be split.

Striker

No point in keeping Highlanders, Cryme Tyme, etc. on the roster when you have your main event wrestlers holding the tag titles.

EDIT:

2nd Battle Royal.

Please God just end this.

Hardyz! :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Aeon712 said:
I missed the beginning why are Smackdown and Raw tag teams in a battle royal?
This is the SECOND tag team battle royal of the night (both for Cena and Michaels' tag titles).

And the reason is "just cuz."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Striker said:
Since when? There isn't really a brand split anymore.

One step above the floundering singles who have nothing better to do. Plus, it is the god damn Hardy brothers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom