• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million people and 40+ world leaders to march against terror in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodacious

Banned

liger05

The first step in combating terrorism should be an acceptance that the last 13 years war on 'radical' Islam has failed miserably.

G.O.O.

lol @ Sarkozy shoving himself between world leaders to be on the picture.

Amazing march. Overcrowded subway but people being unusually nice. We couldn't even reach the STARTING point at République - subway station closed early, we had to go one station further and did like 200 meters in 3 hours.

Pissed about some of the leaders here - especially Netanyahu, after what he said last few days (that the French jews weren't safe anymore and should move to Israel) - but it doesn't matter that much in the end.

Koren

And why is the malian (?) president directly on the right of Hollande?
Sorry for the late reply...

Edit: damn, I write a long answer, and bam!, I'm late ^_^

That's (most probably) because of the Northen Mali conflict... About two years ago, islamists in Mali had taken over the northern half of the country (following different internal conflicts and fights for power).

Mali asked for help, and France sent its army to take back the northern half and install peace there, with the help of chadian army. They took back controll of the northern part, and truce was signed with rebels. UN should have taken care of the situation back then. Unfortunately, it's difficult to maintain truce there, and the situation is still problematic. For the first time, the german-french common force has been dispatched there, too.

Mali still need help... France don't want to stay too long there, though, and would like to find a more international solution.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mali_conflict for details...

It's a coincidence, but it was today (january 11th) the 2nd "anniversary" of the french arrival in Mali.

I think that the malian president and the french one were close today because of all this...

Jisgsaw

I've just realized it may be because the person who hid other hostages in the cold room in the Vincennes supermarket is a Malian.

No, it's cause of the War of Mali.

Sorry for the late reply...

Edit: damn, I write a long answer, and bam!, I'm late ^_^
[long detailed answer]

Oh ok, both make sense (second one a bit more), thanks.

Purportedly he was attending an anti-terrorism summit. With who? They're all out there marching.

He met up with all (/most?) EU interior ministers I think.
They had a meeting before the march to discuss the steps to take to avoid further terror attacks. One thing they decided upon was to hold a common list of suspected djihadists and their movements.

mellz

4c2def901dc5405c51b0a9a93264a635.png

cd05e64b04bef38376bc453190ead62b.png

929129e700d14d4bd4986bf7abda996d.png

97539eb39039db2aeff93d89675c384f.png

G.O.O.

In other news, in Beaucaire (where Le Pen was) journalists report having heard people calling for journalists and "bearded" to be burned at the stake.

good times overall

Mimosa97

The first tweet is so dumb and inaccurate. I don't even know where to begin ...

This stupid french-bashing really needs to stop. Only in PUBLIC schools have ostentatious religious signs been banned. God damn people can't think a second out of their little box.

In other news, in Beaucaire (where Le Pen was) journalists report having heard people calling for journalists and "bearded" to be burned at the stake.

good times overall
Unsurprising given how much FN people hate "media conspiracies" (which is really dog whistling for "Jewish conspiracies" mind you) but given the circumstances, that's poor form.

This stupid french-bashing really needs to stop. Only in PUBLIC schools have ostentatious religious signs been banned. God damn people can't think a second out of their little box.

You should see my facebook feed, you'd have an aneurysm.

/living in the middle east

Mimosa97

good times overall

And people will still vote for these fuckers. They chose to march by themselves, as if they were the only true patriots. The only one who deserved to march and call themselves French.
They blame the rest of the population of being responsible of the massacre because they never voted for Le Pen who would have thrown all the muslims to the sea so we would have avoided what happened two days ago. They hate journalists, " leftists " , teachers, intellectuals etc... even more than they hate muslims or foreigners in general.
Fucking disgusting pigs.

And I don't even disagree with all of their ideas. I think some of their ideas are pretty okay but i'd never vote for such a bunch of morons, bigots and haters.

B69z1aAIcAAi6GP.jpg:large

G.O.O.

Unsurprising given how much FN people hate "media conspiracies" (which is really dog whistling for "Jewish conspiracies" mind you) but given the circumstances, that's poor form.
Yup, calling for dead journalists in Paris today would have ruined the party alright

Condom

Still stupid. Kids should learn that different religions (or religion in general) are a part of modern society.

Still stupid. Kids should learn that different religions (or religion in general) are a part of modern society.
People should learn that many European democracies (like France) have spent over 200 years separating the Chutch from State and don't want to go back to the middle ages

Condom

Religions are a part of private life, not society.
That thinking is a sociological disaster in the making. Private life will always influence society in one way or another.

People should learn that many European democracies (like France) have spent over 200 years separating the Chutch from State and don't to go back to the middle ages

Seperation from Church and State has nothing to do with it. Since we had this discussion 100+ years ago in the Netherlands, secular schools can also teach about different religions while staying secular in form.

Because of politics we still kept religious schools here (although they have to exam as per secular norms set by the government).

G.ZZZ

No, they should learn that our forefathers fought with their lives to end the cancer that was christianity in Europe, with their mass prosecution of intellectuals, starting from Hypatia of Alessandria, to Galileo, Giordano Bruno, and countless others, and directly responsible for the darkest history ever known to man in Europe, their Censoring of books and arts, their torturing and killings of hundreds of thousands, the racial cleansings in the name of their God, for their submission of all the women in the last two millennia, and with the still contemporary ingerence to the freedom of Man.

Modern society has no place anymore for organized religion, and for good reasons. At least fifteen centuries of it.

Mimosa97

Religions are a part of private life, not society.

People should learn that many European democracies (like Ftance) have spent over 200 years separating the Chutch from State and don't to go back to the middle ages

This x2.

Our laws are not prohibiting +18 girls from wearing the veil while studying at the university or undegraduate school or whatever. And private companies can allow the veil if they want to (they usually do). What France has been trying to do achieve is give a chance to underage girls to decide by themselves if they want to wear the veil or not.
We don't want them to be victims of their parents/family's ideology thinking they HAVE to wear the veil when they're still underage kids ffs !
And we want everyone to be equal in school. We don't want kids to come to school with their own cultural/religious heritage and decide what that they shouldn't be learning the theory of Evolution cause it goes against their belief.
We don't want parents deciding that their 5 year old kid should only be eating Hallal meals ! How is that about freedom ? How does a 5 year old kid decides that he doesn't want to eat non-Hallal or non-Kosher meals ? If parents want their kids to eat Hallal well they can take him home during lunchbreaks. But if they leave him at the canteen, they shouldn't expect public schools to bend the rules just so that a kid can get Hallal or Kosher food.

The most interesting thing is that the first waves of muslim immigrants didn't even give a fuck about the veil or Hallal food Does that make them less muslims than their descendants ? The countries where they come from are moderate muslim countries where the veil was very scarce (I know it has changed a lot since).
The ones who first arrived in France decades ago didn't care about Hallal or wearing the veil, same thing with their children. This is very new and when you study the origins of these phenomenons you discover that the ones pushing the veil and the Hallal agendas are muslim leaders who have very close ties to the muslim brotherhood or to the salafist movement. This isn't about individual freedom or religious freedom, this is way bigger than that.

Mimosa97

If she was American, she would be a prime candidate on the Republican ticket. Well, if she lost some of her liberal ideals.

Do you know what her ideas are ?

Fight the globalization, nationalize as many big french companies as one can, leave NATO, leave EU, drop the Euro, sign deals with Russia (all her far-right supporters are big big fans of Russia and Poutine), support Russia against Ukraine, in fact ... Support the Russian government and Poutine in EVERYTHING they do. Fight against economic liberalism. How is that Republican-compliant ? Lol

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Do you know what her ideas are ?

Fight the globalization, nationalize as many big french companies as one can, leave NATO, leave EU, drop the Euro, sign deals with Russia (all her far-right supporters are big big fans of Russia and Poutine), support Russia against Ukraine, in fact ... Support the Russian government and Poutine in EVERYTHING they do. Fight against economic liberalism. How is that Republican-compliant ? Lol

Yes, it's called a joke. Also you forgot her support of secularism.

(all her far-right supporters are big big fans of Russia and Poutine)

This (is a bit nitpicky I know) isn't really a problem.

Condom

No, they should learn that our forefathers fought with their lives to end the cancer that was christianity in Europe, with their mass prosecution of intellectuals, starting from Hypatia of Alessandria, to Galileo, Giordano Bruno, and countless others, and directly responsible for the darkest history ever known to man in Europe, their Censoring of books and arts, their torturing and killings of hundreds of thousands, the racial cleansings in the name of their God, for their submission of all the women in the last two millennia, and with the still contemporary ingerence to the freedom of Man.

Modern society has no place anymore for organized religion, and for good reasons. At least fifteen centuries of it.

They already learn that, it's called 'History'. Objective education will not make people join Al-Qaida at mass because they learned a thing called Islam exists.

Your stupid fear mongering sounds like that of conservatives in strict religious countries.

Raist

Banned
By walking down a street.

I will never understand this stuff.

"Come at me, bro."

That's what it is, more or less.

They already learn that, it's called 'History'. Objective education will not make people join Al-Qaida at mass because they learned a thing called Islam exists.

Your stupid fear mongering sounds like that of conservatives in strict religious countries.

Religion has no place in schools, end of story. It's one of the basic tenets of laicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom