• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 trillion ton iceberg breaks off from Larsen C Antarctic Ice Shelf

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
NPR article reigned in some of the fear of this for those who don't want to hyperventilate:

http://www.wbur.org/npr/536818782/massive-iceberg-breaks-free-in-antarctica

Thank you for posting this. Climate change has been a major source of anxiety and stress for me over the past few years, and the news this week about this impending calving has been freaking me out. I pretty much had a panic attack this morning when I heard it finally broke off. This article makes me feel a little better.

wtf is lake erie and why is that always the benchmark used? i dont even know exactyl how big an american football field is but at least i can kind of roughly guage that when its used as a size reference. how many football fields is a trillion tonnes
If you want something more relatable or easy to imagine you can use Manhattan instead. This iceberg is about the equivalent of 263 Manhattans. That is pretty big.

Keasar

3UEKuET.gif

FVkgNnM.gif

obvMvO9.gif

Great....

Bregor

Would refreezing water in the poles help the world at all?

Refrigeration technology just moves heat around, and creates more in the process due to inefficiencies. Without some way to move the heat off the planet, cooling the globe just doesn't work.

Volimar

Refrigeration technology just moves heat around, and creates more in the process due to inefficiencies. Without some way to move the heat off the planet, cooling the globe just doesn't work.

What if we prop the continents up on some concrete blocks?

NPR article reigned in some of the fear of this for those who don't want to hyperventilate:

http://www.wbur.org/npr/536818782/massive-iceberg-breaks-free-in-antarctica

It's an article written for a North American audience ... I'm sure you could easily Google an article from your own news service which will provide the size in something you're more familiar with.

For instance, using my calculations, it is approximately the size of 6.846.000 European struggle sandwiches:

DAVQzid.jpg
Thanks for this. I don't know much about this stuff but this is very interesting to read.

jchap

Thank god maybe now we can quit seeing weekly stories about how this iceberg could break off any minute. They have been talking about this for more than two years.

Top Bottom