• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Antarctic iceberg is about to break off soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
Am I wrong here? If the ice shelf is already sitting on water, wouldn't it already be displacing more water than what it would melt as, for total volume?

Mr-Joker

Banned
VpwGj9G.jpg

"Shit's fake."

I have seen that picture posted a lot, can someone explain to me the context behind it?

Isn't this how The Day After Tomorrow started?

No, that movie is riddled with scientific inaccuracy due to the nature of it being a terrible Hollywood movie.

NysGAF

The researchers say that this is a geographical and not a climate event. The rift has been present for decades, they say, but it has punched through at this particular time.

It is believed that climate warming has brought forward the likely separation of the iceberg but the scientists say they have no direct evidence to support this.

Dammit, BBC, don't put that in the article. Dumb scientists not making conclusions without evidence. It's too late! You have to start making stuff up if we're going to get any action.

I have seen that picture posted a lot, can someone explain to me the context behind it?

He brought a snowball into the Capital and onto the Senate floor to prove that climate change didn't exist. He's a Senator in Oklahoma and also is a chairman of the Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee.

He also wrote a large and enthusiastic statement praising Trump for appointing Scott Pruitt as Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

In other words he's a giant piece of shit.

Schlorgan

No, that movie is riddled with scientific inaccuracy due to the nature of it being a terrible Hollywood movie.
Oh, it is, but it started with a piece of ice "the size of Rhode Island" breaking off.

Get ready for wolves and snow hurricanes.

My favorite part about that was he then threw it at the senator that he was speaking to. It's not enough for him to think he's right, he needs to physically assault the person he thinks is wrong. Suddenly, it all made sense when the GOP presidential candidates back in 2008 were using 24 references. They think that's actual reality.

U0rWph.gif

It was more like a soft underhand toss. Guy's stills a complete idiot though.

Dilly

Banned
Has anyone read the article? The cause in this particular case isn't global warming. It's a different event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom