• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA: An Iceberg Twice the Size of Atlanta breaking off Antarctica into the Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNN Article

A massive iceberg with an area almost twice the size of Atlanta is moving into the ocean off Antarctica and could threaten shipping during the Antarctic winter, scientists say.

The ice island, known as iceberg B31, covers 255 square miles and could be almost a third of a mile thick, scientists say in a report from NASA's Earth Observatory.

140422093912-02-iceberg-c1-main.jpg

commedieu

Banned
Sweet.. more intensifying weather! We are so fucked. Minus the people behind black budget/black projects though.. They'll be ok.

Really tragic, really horrible.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is really heartbreaking. Climate change is easily the most important issue facing the world's governments right now. It's more important than the economy, more important than Ukraine, more important than racism, more important than healthcare, more important than oil... but we do nothing.

There's so much action that can be taken, but our governments have put the environment on the back burner.

It could interfere with shipping vessels? Shit, we better heat the planet up rapidly to melt that mother fucker before it hurts anyone!

Alternatively, we could consider this an act of aggression by the Antarcticians... better send in the military before they start producing WMDs.

This is really heartbreaking. Climate change is easily the most important issue facing the world's governments right now. It's more important than the economy, more important than Ukraine, more important than racism, more important than healthcare, more important than oil... but we do nothing.

There's so much action that can be taken, but our governments have put the environment on the back burner.

Happy Earth Day!

Rad-

Fuck Earth.

commedieu

Banned

Yeah, but by the time congress gets to actually doing anything about emissions, that little bit of actual change will have little to no effect on the already existing c02 thats been built up from the signing of that legislation and decades..behind. I think the only chance we had was before we got globalized. I mean, China is literally killing itself with its factory output. But, that sheer # is due to demand worldwide. Thats the output demand for anywhere now, sheer global numbers.

Scientist said the same things back then though, and the same exact response was given. Which is why we are here. Idiots are too busy arguing what caused it, rather than what we need to do to stop it politically. This is one of those that we asked for. The last piece this size was New York, right? that was the last big one...?

btrboyev

Don't say our governments, when it's basically the US that is the holding changes back. Not saying other countries are doing the best job in the world, but a lot of them are way ahead of the United States. Our republican leaders don't even acknowledge climate change has a real thing.

Its sad, because even 20 years from now, things look pretty grim for many coastal cities. Iceland is melting at a pace of 20 feet a year. The ocean is warming and sea life is dying off. All of the garbage we put in the ocean is also changing toxicity levels.

Ragnarok

Don't say our governments, when it's basically the US that is the holding changes back. Not saying other countries are doing the best job in the world, but a lot of them are way ahead of the United States. Our republican leaders don't even acknowledge climate change has a real thing.

Its sad, because even 20 years from now, things look pretty grim for many coastal cities. Iceland is melting at a pace of 20 feet a year. The ocean is warming and sea life is dying off. All of the garbage we put in the ocean is also changing toxicity levels.

I'd say China is the worst offender so I'm not sure why you're pinning it all on the US.

Point is that this should be a joint global effort though.

Greenhouse gas emissions from the US are down 10% over the last 10 years as far as I recall. It was recently announced.

LogicStep

The sooner people realize that Earth is our only home the better. It's like people don't care what happens to the planet or that the planet will just keep taking it as we keep dishing it. There's nowhere else to go where we can live like we do here so people need to take care of the planet! :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Perhaps when something environmentally devastating happens to the US, something will be done. Not now tho, of course, but after New York or San Francisco is washed away and the deaths of millions is set in stone. Then will anyone take this seriously.

Till that day...

I'd say China is the worst offender so I'm not sure why you're pinning it all on the US.

Point is that this should be a joint global effort though.

because you use like 4x the energy per capita compared to actual first world nations with a higher standard of living

Greenhouse gas emissions from the US are down 10% over the last 10 years as far as I recall. It was recently announced.

Can you provide a link? Curious to see where the US stands in terms of GG emissions and the efforts in comparison to other developed countries.

I do wish India and China would take a more proactive approach.

Saganator

We have to figure out who's fault it is first, though. Oh and, we have to take care of the issue with out the oil and gas industry losing money.

low-G

Wipe out the human race before they can mess up the rest of the universe!

tmdorsey

"You're not actually mammals" - Agent Smith

Is what I always think about when I read stories about changes to the earth and environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom