• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA: An Iceberg Twice the Size of Atlanta breaking off Antarctica into the Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberluigi

Banned
*beaten like a bitch ass bitch

craig.gif

lol

Kinyou

I need some help visualizing this. Come on CNN, like how many football fields is that or how many Titanics would it sink?

Last I checked, the US are still way worse than other countries in average energy consumption per capita.

check again, it's Britain

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/envir...il&utm_term=0_876aab4fd7-b90aac319c-303421281

Here's another list that puts Qatar at the top of CO2 emissions

http://environment.nationalgeograph...es-ten-countries-with-the-biggest-footprints/

US gets way too much easy hate because it's easy to just say "Republicans rabble rabble" and not have to back anything up because there's enough people who will just agree with that sentiment.

Volimar

Never been to a Waffle House?

I have. It was the most disgustingly filthy place I've ever seen. I'd eat in a gas station men's room before I'd eat at that Waffle House.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/envir...il&utm_term=0_876aab4fd7-b90aac319c-303421281

http://environment.nationalgeograph...es-ten-countries-with-the-biggest-footprints/

US gets way too much easy hate because it's easy to just say "Republicans rabble rabble" and not have to back anything up because there's enough people who will just agree with that sentiment.

But seriously, Republicans though.

Flo_Evans

I really hate stories like this.

It contains almost no context. It just like "hey BIG iceberg!" They casually mention an iceberg 16 times larger broke off in 2000... and it did nothing? Like is this iceberg even exceptionally large? It might be difficult to track, it might impact shipping lanes... is there any real threat?

It's like OMG we have to do something about these icebergs!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Perhaps when something environmentally devastating happens to the US, something will be done. Not now tho, of course, but after New York or San Francisco is washed away and the deaths of millions is set in stone. Then will anyone take this seriously.

Till that day...
"WHY DIDN"T ANYONE WARN US ABOUT THIS SOONER"

eot

Banned
This is really heartbreaking. Climate change is easily the most important issue facing the world's governments right now. It's more important than the economy, more important than Ukraine, more important than racism, more important than healthcare, more important than oil... but we do nothing.

There's so much action that can be taken, but our governments have put the environment on the back burner.

There's no lack of heartbreak when it comes to environmental issues.
In 40 years there will be practically no fish left in our oceans, in 50 all the rainforests will be gone, extinction rates are 1,000 times higher than what they would be without human activity, a few hundred million tonnes of untreated waste is dumped into the ocean every day and, and on and on. Have a nice day.

Volimar

It contains almost no context. It just like "hey BIG iceberg!" They casually mention an iceberg 16 times larger broke off in 2000... and it did nothing? Like is this iceberg even exceptionally large? It might be difficult to track, it might impact shipping lanes... is there any real threat?

It's like they want to be environmental by doing a global warming story without pissing off far right viewers they don't want to lose to Fox News, while at the same time trying to make it scary enough for people to want to read, all while doing as little actual journalism as possible.

CNN

Zhengi

I was wondering about this as well. Are icebergs common occurrences? Is this a typical iceberg? How does it compare with the iceberg that sank the Titanic?

kick51

Banned
check again, it's Britain

wow how the fuck is that even possible:

lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Earth is getting tired of our shit and is gonna swallow us whole.
And sometimes I wonder "why not today?" It's not like we aren't asking for it. Absolutely no respect for the earth and we demand so much from it. It's saddening.

Perhaps when something environmentally devastating happens to the US, something will be done. Not now tho, of course, but after New York or San Francisco is washed away and the deaths of millions is set in stone. Then will anyone take this seriously.

Till that day...

To get real technical, I propose we need to feel that force like a catalysing hot iron to the face: a mold for the form.
rubbern08-300x229_zpsfllhu.jpg

BEHOLD!

Fuck Earth.

You talk to your mother like that.
;p

akira28

according to the picture, doesn't look like that iceberg is going anywhere. maybe into the endless ice wasteland on the other side of the water.

Don't say our governments, when it's basically the US that is the holding changes back. Not saying other countries are doing the best job in the world, but a lot of them are way ahead of the United States. Our republican leaders don't even acknowledge climate change has a real thing.

Its sad, because even 20 years from now, things look pretty grim for many coastal cities. Iceland is melting at a pace of 20 feet a year. The ocean is warming and sea life is dying off. All of the garbage we put in the ocean is also changing toxicity levels.
China is a worse offender. But the US is way ahead of the rest of the pack in second.

The planet isn't fucked. The planet will be fine. Humans are fucked.

It's like they want to be environmental by doing a global warming story without pissing off far right viewers they don't want to lose to Fox News, while at the same time trying to make it scary enough for people to want to read, all while doing as little actual journalism as possible.

CNN

This is brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom