• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In March (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeChicken

Neo Member
WinWin & Take Me Home Tonight for me if they come out at any cinema nearby. Going to hang fire on adjustment bureau until I see a few more reviews.

shuyin_

Banned
Black Death should be no.1 on the list IMO. It was one of my best 2010 movies. It's a great commentary on the power and influence of religion in those dark times. It's not pro or anti Chritianism - it remains neutral.

Also i love how the director approaches the theme of utopia that goes to hell because people are people.

If this movie actually had a budget, it'd probably have been better receieved.

shuyin_ said:
Black Death should be no.1 on the list IMO. It was one of my best 2010 movies. It's a great commentary on the power and influence of religion in those dark times. It's not pro or anti Chritianism - it remains neutral.

Also i love how the director approaches the theme of utopia that goes to hell because people are people.

If this movie actually had a budget, it'd probably have been better receieved.

Black Death is fucking amazing. Easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while, just because of how well executed it is. The script can be a little hammy at times, but my god...when I was done watching it, it reminded me of No Country for Old Men, the way it just sucks you in every minute of the movie.

I've rented it twice on Amazon's VOD service. I'm not sure if it's part of VOD's design, but the second time I rented it, it let me "keep" it for 20+ days--I wonder if my Prime membership had anything to do with it.

Highly recommend Black Death. Probably my favorite Sean Bean performance as well, and as was stated, the movie gets to a certain point where you just don't know what to expect OR what to believe. There is no good or bad.

Juanadams

Banned
Not a bad month at all.

I saw the devil will be at the top of my list.

Sucker punch probably coming up second.

and I'll definitely be seeing paul and take me home tonight for my dose of comedy.

HiResDes

You have a few supposed quality movies in the matinee, while having more than a few supposed mediocre ones in the top ten...

Saw Black Death last night. Awesome flick. Christopher Smith is a great guy, got absolutely trashed at the after party with him.

HiResDes said:
You have a few supposed quality movies in the matinee, while having more than a few supposed mediocre ones in the top ten...

1075479-well_that_s_just_like_your_opinion_man_super.jpg

Expendable. said:
Saw Black Death last night. Awesome flick. Christopher Smith is a great guy, got absolutely trashed at the after party with him.

One of the great things about Black Death (and it's similar in this regard to
The Prestige, and maybe Shutter Island
) is how the movie REALLY takes you for a ride.
You know something's wrong, but you aren't sure what to believe. The Christian soldiers are obviously "bad" but you want them to succeed. And the village is "good" but does horrible things to maintain peace. At the end, I actually CHEERED when Ulrich unleashed his surprise on the village.

Yes, the movie made me root for the plague.

y2dvd

Heads up to make your March movie going a little cheaper.

livingsocial.com has a deal today only that let's you purchase two tickets for $9 via Fandango. The promotion ends on June 6th.

y2dvd said:

livingsocial.com has a deal today only that let's you purchase two tickets for $9 via Fandango. The promotion ends on June 6th.

awesome deal. Purchased!

y2dvd said:

thanks for the head up.

raphier

Banned
Wth, there is a Jane Eyre movie coming? Holy damn and it's very close to the book from what I gather in the trailer. One of my fav books ever.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rottenwatch for the films premiering tomorrow:

Beastly - 19%
Take Me Home Tonight - 36%
Adjustment Bureau - 70%
Rango - 82%

Expendable. said:
oh god, I can't say much since I'm embargoed but I fucking hated Paul. :(

I've heard tales of studio demanding dumbed down jokes from the guys... So I'm not surprised it isn't as good as we would like

Battle LA and Black Death both look pretty good.

All of the trailers I have seen for Paul look awful, but I have faith enough in Simon Pegg to see it opening weekend anyway. There is a very good chance that the studio is trying to market it to morons as a wacky talking alien movie, but it is actually the kind of smart comedy I've come to expect from him. No Edgar Wright takes it down a peg
g
, but I have also liked all of his Wright-less films too.

Suckerpunch looks like I will either love it or really hate it. Will try it.

Limitless would bug the shit out of me if I tried to watch it. I can't stand it when that stupid "you only use 10% of your brain" myth is used as a premise from things.

Talon

Wait, Aaron Eckhart is in Battle for LA? Why, Aaron? Why?

lincoln_lawyer.jpg

All we need is Channing Tatum, and we can have the worst leading trio of the year.

spagett

Neo Member
Battle LA is it for me.

Finally breaking this no movie streak. I haven't been to the movies since inception.

Raxus

Expendable. said:
oh god, I can't say much since I'm embargoed but I fucking hated Paul. :(
Like I said. Very disappointing. Elements were there (I liked Wigg and Jason's characters) but it was just a fucking mess.

Jane Eyre was fantastic. The first great film of 2011. So glad I put it at #1.

I'll be seeing Battle: Los Angeles on Thursday! I actually heard strong things from tonight:

EricVespe from AICN:
Battle: Los Angeles is really fun. Filled to the brim with war movie cliches, but definitely a good time.

Massawyrm from AICN:
BATTLE LOS ANGELES is BLACKHAWK DOWN meets DISTRICT 9 and will kick your fucking balls into your stomach.

and negative from @fistfulofmedia:

I've got one word right now for BATTLE: LOS ANGELES... CLICHE! It really is upsetting me right now how subpar it is. It isn't horrible, but there are laughable moments throughout. The one shining thing about BATTLE: LA is the firefights throughout. They are tense. But I've played those battles before in HALO.

....also quite positive The Lincoln Lawyer review from Devin Faraci.

So In Battlefield LA... I kept asking myself the same question over and over... why didn't they just give the motherships a cold????

I saw The Lincoln Lawyer last night. It doesn't achieve anything more than to be a solid drama, but it definitely succeeds. I'd recommend it if you are strictly looking for entertainment.

Tonight I've got Your Highness and Limitless.

Limitless was quite fun. A lot darker/crazier than you might expect, I'd recommend it.

Unfortunately, I didn't really love Your Highness. Funny moments, but nowhere near Pineapple Express.

Mentioned in two threads, but I actually really liked The Adjustment Bureau. Felt refreshing in small ways and loved Blunt and Damon together.

I'm also (sort of) surprised how disinterested I am in Paul. All I keep thinking when I see ads is if we already have two fine comedians in Pegg and Frost (and hell, Jason Bateman), why the hell do we need Rogen? I don't even dislike Rogen, and the fact that I always have to end any mention of him with that sentence speaks volumes. Dude's overstayed his welcome.

Might go see Rango this weekend.

JdFoX187

Banned
Lincoln Lawyer really reminds me of A Time to Kill, beyond the obvious Matthew Mcconaughey as a lawyer. I was thinking about seeing Paul this weekend, but might catch that instead.

faridmon said:
Battle LA and Paul are rubbish. I used to trust you OP, way to crush my dreams...

Criminal Upper said:
Weird to see someone more hyped about BATTLE; LOS ANGELES over Sucker Punch.

This list was made BEFORE any of the films came out. It is just used to highlight what is coming out this month with my prediction on what to look forward to.

With that said, Battle: Los Angeles was okay. Paul was fucking terrible.

Sucker Punch is supposed to be horrendous. I've talked to a handful of people that have seen it. Hence the placement.

I'm glad I put Jane Eyre at #1 though, it actually turned out to be my #1!

Also Win Win gets a limited release this weekend, so check it out. It's quite good.

Devolution said:
Am I the only one not really impressed by that list? I guess it's because I'm waiting on Mallick's new flick.

That is honestly the only film (aside from Super 8) to really care about this summer.

robertsan21 said:
The Adjustment Bureau

is probably the crappiest film I have ever seen.

Stay away.

It's actually pretty good. The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Matt Damon is stunning. The sci-fi parts are silly, but it is good entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom