• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100% Flat Earth Proof

God Enel

What? Why was he banned? I think hilarious to see someone’s believe in that..umm.. shit. I mean people can believe in whatever they want but for me, personally, this seems so dumb and I can’t tell if he’s trolling or not.

What? Why was he banned? I think hilarious to see someone’s believe in that..umm.. shit. I mean people can believe in whatever they want but for me, personally, this seems so dumb and I can’t tell if he’s trolling or not.
He was banned? No one should be banned for their beliefs no matter how stupid they are.

God Enel

The only thing i don’t understand why none of the flat-earthworms hasn’t sailed to the end/rim of the planet to see what’s going on there. Is there a solution i maybe have missed as I’m not really thinking about this stuff that much.

royox

He was banned? No one should be banned for their beliefs no matter how stupid they are.

For the Reason he's always banned. He doesn't discuss. Every time somebody gives him an explanation he ignores it in bad faith and changes the topic. He doesn't understand basic physics (I had to explain him how speed, acceleration and momentum work because he couldn't understand why we don't feel the earth moving) and his way of thinking is "if I can't understand it it's false because it has to be Easyer".
In a previous thread he did exactly the same and was warned by the mods so this was the only logical outcome.

JimboJones

It's pretty depressing and embarrassing having someone on this board that believes in the whole flat earth thing.

Unless he's a joke account.

bigedole

I dunno, I found it entertaining in a fascinating, car-wrecky kinda way. I've never really had a discussion about science with a flat-earth believing person. Kinda nice to see it's as crazy/silly as it sounds.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Redneckerz, you can take your space age nonsense and fuck right off.

edit: I thought the "space age nonsense" would make it obvious, my bad.
Full transparency: I didn't percieve it as a joke and found it highly curious that your first post after 2 months of absence was a call-out.

But now that it was a joke, no hard feelings :)

I guess horizons don’t exist with that guy. NEXT. Nice try tho.
All you did was ''I disagree, just look at horizons'' without actually researching why this gif is posted as evidence to the fact.

Which is sadly your modus operandi: You disagree with it, but you never put forth why other than some conspiracy level mumbo jumbo that goes through multiple logical hoops (Trivia: Did you know that hoops are circular?) to explain something that is far easier explained when you just retrace the maths or the visual cues in other examples.

The amount of effort to push an alternative theory leads to the following question: If what one says is true, then why is so much disregard for logic needed to arrive at that conclusion? In order to get to the conclusions of a flat earth, you would need to disregard multiple laws of physics. Don't you think its more likely that the current, scientific theory has is more likely to be correct as she can be proven with proper math, than the alternative, which conflicts with universal physical laws?

Oddly enough, a scientific answer is never given, but instead, repetition of the same disagreement is put forth. That to me says that the Flat Earth Movement does not operate its theories on the basis of good faith or good intent, but rather, looks to cause disruption amongst scientific peers and people less educated in the physical matters. The more often you repeat the story, the more likely it is that someone will listen to it - Even when no evidence is presented to the fact.

Its pointless arguing with a Flat Earther no matter the scientific evidence you present they will just deny it.
Then Angular's ban is a just one, because even someone with an opposite worldview is ought to back up what they say using reputable sources. Angular's source is ''HAHA LOL U WRONG U CRAY'' which isn't a serious defence.

In fact, i find it rather insulting that he abuses the idea that people are listening to his ire, only for him to do everything he can to make people stop listening to it. Its insultive, because why provide a platform for the alternatives, if the alternatives do nothing to comprise rational thought?

Honestly though, one thing the flat earthers kinda has a point with is how we in the end don't really knowingly know much of what we believe in. Most people haven't made any tests of what they have read. And the people who have tested things, haven't tested all of what they believe to be true. We just mostly take the word of our teachers and writers whose books we read. We don't really even think to question what we are taught at school. We maybe can say that this and this amount of people and scientists say this is true, but most people haven't ever tested and won't ever test those things. We just take their words. So really, that's where the flat earthers are 100% right. And maybe we all should sometimes think from that angle too. Although, that should obviously also apply to them too. If we shouldn't go and blindly believe all we are taught, why should we suddenly start to believe the flat earthers? It's not as if they have witnessed the world being flat either. And they themselves are mostly also just parroting things they have heard and read somewhere else.
The thing with science is that they test out theories and do the maths on them. Proper laws explain the nature of those things that were unexplainable before. This is why science puts them to the test, through meticoulous testing all around. Its why things like Gravity Waves, predicted by Einstein 100 years ago, only were proven in 2016. Its why the existence of black holes only got confirmed only in recent times. It shows that theories give an explanation for what isnt explainable at first.

200 years ago people thought space was filled with ether, a substance that filled all of universe. Physicians and theorists like Max Planck, Albert Michelson, Niels Bohr, Albert Einstein, and others proved by their mathematical models and theories that this was not the case. Its why i try to read the theory behind it as best as i could to my limited knowledge.

I love the guy and his hyper bold way to sink into the craziest things head first and stand firm with his belief unashamed and I really think even the crazies ideas should have their place in any discussion forums. But trying to interact with that stuff is sometimes way too frustrating.
If they can be backed up by any kind of reasonable merit, then yes. Just yelling you don't believe in vaccines or that the world is flat and LOL are you a doofus for believing the Earth is round is nothing clever or having a crazy idea. It just means you are either really naive to world knowledge, or a troll. This isn't a case of more complexities.

I literally LOL’d at those assumptions. Holy crap. All of my close friends and family know how I see things. There’s no problem nor am I lonely. 😂 BTW There’s nothing scriptural about a spherical earth and if you’re referring to the Catholicism thread that you guys tried to pass off as a a Christianity thread, you bet I’m going to debate you on every bit of false doctrine and theology you post. It’s just as nonsensical as science. Not only that, I’d rather people looking for Christ not fall into the snares that the Roman Catholic Church likes to put out into the world. Gods “true” Church 🙄that’s a lie. Fitting most Catholics will believe evolution along with all of the other heretical, secular teachings the world has to offer.
I should tell my Aunt who is a Missionairy of Charity about your theories. I reckon she will be in heavy disdain with it for obvious reasons. I think its insulting that you use a book as your cover purely because you interpret it literally. This way of thinking is exactly why negative ideologies are formed.

Compromised of people who stopped following common logic but relying on a literal interpretation of a holy book. That's not how one should practice religion.

You're telling me you've never seen a photo like this?

4.jpg
You might want to add in an explanation how camera's and shutter times work in order to get this picture, else you wouldn't be believed either. ;)

This is a series of 5 videos if anyone is interested. Basically rather than proving that earth is round he goes into detail how illogical a flat earth would be.
The fact that a 5 part series is needed to explain what amounts to using your own common sense instead of relying on a literal interpretation of a biblical book is depressing.

He was banned because he isn't posting in good faith and only sought to make controversial statements without backing them up. If your only intent is to be provocative and have no desire to post with good intentions than you are making it very difficult for yourself.

The fact that you can't tell if he is trolling or not should provide you enough evidence as to why he was banned. Can anyone be this naive? Sure.

But can anyone be this naive and consistently fail to produce any compelling evidence? Doubtful. Its why he got banned previously aswell, for doing the exact same thing. So, is it any surprising that Angular got banned again for the exact same thing? Hardly.

PS: If the Bible does not refer to a Round Earth, then it also does not refer to a online discussion board. How can forums even exist?????? :lollipop_astonished: See, its really easy to make naive statements like that. Does not mean i am actually convincing anyone here.

And, most importantly: I am being sarcastic in this part. Angular was playing the seriousness card, and he played it for too long.

Last edited:

Contrary to scientific truth, existential truth does not allow for universally true statements. That's why political/ethical principles are born out of the social contract in which said principles are discussed and agreed upon. They represent inter-subjective, but not objective truth and are thus the result of a societal consensus between individuals. Empirical science usually does not work that way. If you practice yourself in willful ignorance of even the most basic physical realities, you're not interested in a discussion in the first place.

It's the same reason why you don't teach creationism in a biology class, because it simply does not belong. Creationism is existential truth based on faith while the theory evolution is based on an empirical approach which can be verified. Since human knowledge is incomplete, science has enough uncertainties to deal with and surely does not need flat-earthers doing incredible damage to the scientific method. Those people have long enough kept science from progressing while desperately trying to enlighten the general populace.

Explaining science is already hard enough as is when compared to the fundamentalists who only care about their own subjective reality. We certainly don't need these fools needlessly throwing wrenches into the cogs because they are too narrow-minded to reconcile factual evidence with their preconceived world-view.

Despite all that it would have been fine had the person in question actually addressed the arguments levied against him instead of condescendingly going full retard by screeching "HA HA CHECKMATE, NON-BELIEVERS". That's not how reasoned debate works and I really don't think that's what we want to represent as a forum where the mutual exchange of arguments is all we have really.

The fact that a 5 part series is needed to explain what amounts to using your own common sense instead of relying on a literal interpretation of a biblical book is depressing.
[/QUOTE] Wether it is needed or not is debatable Flat Earthers have no credibility and offer up no real discussion. I just fond the series pretty entertaining so I posted it. I find it hilarious that flat earther's always say "question everything" and "do your own research" sure as long as it just fits their world view. They fail to even question why no one in the society has pictures of the flat earth from space or led an expedition around the "ice wall"

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
For clarity, the reason Angular was banned was not because he believes in conspiracy theories, it was the manner in which he refuted direct evidence with complete dismissal and trollish replies trying to make everyone ELSE who is providing thousands of counter points look foolish.

If someone has an outlandish opinion, that’s completely fine. The problem becomes that when your entire existence in the thread is just holding your fingers in your ears and shooting down hard evidence with “well that’s not true because I say it’s not” over and over, it gets old.

For clarity, the reason Angular was banned was not because he believes in conspiracy theories, it was the manner in which he refuted direct evidence with complete dismissal and trollish replies trying to make everyone ELSE who is providing thousands of counter points look foolish.

If someone has an outlandish opinion, that’s completely fine. The problem becomes that when your entire existence in the thread is just holding your fingers in your ears and shooting down hard evidence with “well that’s not true because I say it’s not” over and over, it gets old.

But he keeps coming back just to get banned for the same reasons.

Redneckerz

Wether it is needed or not is debatable Flat Earthers have no credibility and offer up no real discussion. I just fond the series pretty entertaining so I posted it. I find it hilarious that flat earther's always say "question everything" and "do your own research" sure as long as it just fits their world view. They fail to even question why no one in the society has pictures of the flat earth from space or led an expedition around the "ice wall"
By all means, post it! I was not attacking your link by any means :) And i see why it was posted, but if you believed in a flat earth, would you watch it? I don't think a flat earther would do that, let alone be convinced by the arguments presented there.

Exactly. Having alternative theories is in fact a healthy thing to encourage. Looking at it from multiple angles is a contributory device in any discussion.

But... as long as its backed up with reasonable evidence and demeanor. One is less likely to be taken seriously without it, and one is more likely to be seen as a dick when your attitude is off.

Well, then he won't last long on GAF? Angular isn't unique to his characteristic, and them keeping up with their narrative only ensures that they will increasingly get more disliked and face wider penalties.

Its not hard to be a jerk, its far harder to be decent. #foodforthought #notactualfood :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Even scholars who read the bible and researched it came to the conclusion that the original Hebrew text is more likely to refer to a sphere rather than a flat surface.

How about when the devil took Jesus to a very tall mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the earth?

The bible seems to imply an immovable potentially flat earth. Which means the authors were only men writing without knowledge of the true reality.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

How about when the devil took Jesus to a very tall mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the earth?
Well? What about it?

The bible seems to imply an immovable potentially flat earth. Which means the authors were only men writing without knowledge of the true reality.
It wouldn't explain why various medieval bibles understood khug as a spherical entity nor why the Spanish Bible refers to it as an orb and the Italian one as a globo. From the same link:
''Various sixteenth century Latin Bibles indicate that medieval scholars understood khûg in Isaiah 40:22 to refer to the sphericity of the earth. For example, Santes Pagnino translated this sphaera, and Benedictus Arias Montanus and François Vatable globus. The seventeenth century Giovanni Diodati Bible also used globus and the eighteenth century Dutch Hebraist Campeius Vitringa used orbis.7 More recently, the Spanish Jerusalem Bible used ‘orb’ and the Italian Riveduta Bible ‘globo’''.

Well? What about it?
That is impossible in a sphere, either you're talking metaphorical or something else. But if taken literal it suggests the writers believed that from a tall enough mountain all the kingdoms could be seen.

Also I think there is another passage where it says the earth is immovable.
It wouldn't explain why various medieval bibles understood khug as a spherical entity nor why the Spanish Bible refers to it as an orb and the Italian one as a globo. From the same link:
Medieval. You know when you do translations you can accommodate what is the current accepted scientific understanding.

The original writers do seem to imply they were less informed.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

That is impossible in a sphere, either you're talking metaphorical or something else. But if taken literal it suggests the writers believed that from a tall enough mountain all the kingdoms could be seen.
I mean, i wouldn't take it literally ofcourse. Its just an analogy.

Medieval. You know when you do translations you can accommodate what is the current accepted scientific understanding.

The original writers do seem to imply they were less informed.
Which is why its good that current understanding seem to be of the consensus that it indeed refers to a round earth, not a flat one.

The Bible definitely was shrouded in mythiscism for quite a lot of its passages. I read the Jefferson Bible out of religious interest, but which removes the mythical aspect of the book and instead presents a more grounded in reality version of the Bible.

It was a good read.

MC Safety

He probably enjoys riling up the troops. He'll do it until the thrill is gone, until the audience dries up, or someone permanently bans him. And if he gets banned, he might come back with a new name.

I think he's just having some fun. In the last thread like this, he posted an advertisement for paint to prove one of his "points."

Where does the sun hide at night?
Did people really use to live in black white?

Is the world round, is it flat? how come no one can tell me that?
Like what's with islands get more land!?
What's with deserts get less sand!?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
you can test it, you can measure it.
but you rather believe in a 2000 year old book and try to make our world fit into its context. who exactly stopped thinking here?

On top of that, he believes in an interpretation of that book that no liberal or conservative bible scholar has ever bought into. Not even a plain reading of that text should make a first time reader go “oh that’s talking about a flat earth”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the author of that text, were he alive today, would be like. “What?? No. That is not what that means. I was writing poetry bro. You’re taking that literally? LOL!”

#Phonepunk#

Banned
he believes in an interpretation of that book that no liberal or conservative bible scholar has ever bought into

Flat Earth is a fringe belief and not something pushed by the truly religious. one of the greatest spiritual books of all time, Moses Maimonides's "Guide for the Perplexed", is from the 12th century, and it includes a round Earth model alongside commentary on the Talmud. nothing in the Bible says anything about a flat Earth.

it is not a religious thing, it has mass appeal for the secular as well. the modern popularity of it sort of proves that. if church going is at an all time low then how come flat Earth is so trendy? cos it has various things to offer, from the joy of trolling to genuinely "asking questions" (which tbh should always be tolerated by a truly objective science as it is fundamental to the process of science).

See people this is what happens when you lack the mental capacity to understand basic scientific principles.

The fact that it can even be questioned and that there are actual inconsistencies in what we’re told should be enough to tell you that something is being left out. What they’ve given us just isn’t a solid truth.

Antoon

Banned
There's no reason every single topic on the planet needs to somehow get pulled back to politics...please?
Flat Earth theory isnt any less valid than the rethoric of the left-wing politics.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The fact that it can even be questioned and that there are actual inconsistencies in what we’re told should be enough to tell you that something is being left out. What they’ve given us just isn’t a solid truth.

You again? Why do you insist to troll on this point? There's literally no scientific reason to believe in a flat earth. Is it this religious proselitism that pushes you to talk about this?

Didn't Jesus say something like leave to the Ceasar what belongs to him and to leave to God what belongs to God? Why do you insist on finding science on a freaking man made (and heavily edited) book that's hundreds of years old? Just leave science to the scientists, jeez.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I'd argue that even in text there is no reason to believe that there is a "flat" Earth since the book of Enoch itself talks about circumference and revolutions of heavenly bodies. Have no idea why people constantly conflate the two, some people just don't know what they're talking about.

SKM1

Earth isn’t even flat. There are mountains and valleys. We’re just not given the whole truth. The whole flat vs round thing is to take away from that as neither is true. All I know for certain is it doesn’t spin.

Everyone educated knows that the earth is not round but potato-shaped.

I'd argue that even in text there is no reason to believe that there is a "flat" Earth since the book of Enoch itself talks about circumference and revolutions of heavenly bodies. Have no idea why people constantly conflate the two, some people just don't know what they're talking about.

You realize that when it says this it’s speaking of moving in orbits as circles right? I’ve been moving away from the whole “flat” thing because all it leads to is argument and just going by what scripture says alone and one of the books I’m currently reading speaks of land outside of the orbit of the sun and the moon. I’m pretty sure that’s referring to what we now call Antarctica but what’s trippy is that it’s not frozen. It’s spoken of as lush land. We’d be inside of the ring and there would be land outside of the ring. There was also a verse that pretty much eluded to whatever earth is being deeper than it is wide.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
You realize that when it says this it’s speaking of moving in orbits as circles right? I’ve been moving away from the whole “flat” thing because all it leads to is argument and just going by what scripture says alone and one of the books I’m currently reading speaks of land outside of the orbit of the sun and the moon. I’m pretty sure that’s referring to what we now call Antarctica but what’s trippy is that it’s not frozen. It’s spoken of as lush land. We’d be inside of the ring and there would be land outside of the ring.

Not only that, dude. It also talks about moon phases, for reference, and I'm not sure you can have a "waning" flat body.

Just so I'm clear though -- are you defending "flat-Earth," for the most part?

Last edited:
Not only that, dude. It also talks about moon phases, for reference, and I'm not sure you can have a "waning" flat body.

Just so I'm clear though -- are you defending "flat-Earth," for the most part?

You have to also remember it speaks of the portals along with the phases. I’m not defending a flat earth per se, But when what we’re told doesn’t match scripture nor what my own eyes can see, that’s where the questioning begins. For one, we never observe the phases transition, two, over the last week we’ve had waning phases of the moon while the sun is traveling in the sky with it in the mornings. What I really wondered about when I started questioning things is what exactly do the sun and moon do in areas where they aren’t above land? I wondered if they descend in certain areas of water and then ascend again as they approach land. The sun could even be descending on hotter desert areas. Doesn’t have to be by much. Then we get those super huge moon rises every now and then where the moon is clearly closer than usual.

Last edited:

Impotaku

The fact that you can log in right now and watch live feeds of earth from space is amazing & yet people still think it's flat when there are tools you can use right now to show you. It's not like in the past where you had to just get this information from books you can actually see it for yourself live at any time and yet people still believe this flat earth horse shit. Im going to guess they think that nasa is doctoring the live feeds to make it look round for some nefarious purpose.

I'm convinced it's like some form of retardation, some peoples brains just don't develop properly & they just are unable to grasp the basic ideas of physics. Maybe it's time for special ed classes for people who don't understand science.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The fact that you can log in right now and watch live feeds of earth from space is amazing & yet people still think it's flat when there are tools you can use right now to show you. It's not like in the past where you had to just get this information from books you can actually see it for yourself live at any time and yet people still believe this flat earth horse shit. Im going to guess they think that nasa is doctoring the live feeds to make it look round for some nefarious purpose.

I'm convinced it's like some form of retardation, some peoples brains just don't develop properly & they just are unable to grasp the basic ideas of physics. Maybe it's time for special ed classes for people who don't understand science.
Mass delusion is a natural human phenomenon. You don't have to be actually mentally deficient to fall into it.

They use a damn fish eye lense pretty much at all times. Why’s it so difficult to use a lense that isn’t going to distort what we’re seeing? It shouldn’t be that hard.

Last edited:
Do you realize how much further up the camera would have to be to change the curvature that much between shots?

wva6vc.png

34826om.png

This ones live. You don’t see the panels curving as well?

Top Bottom